the Rift

[OPEN] Wild things
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
M
I
D
A
S
Find wildlife to save! Earth bellows to listening ears. Tis no easy task. These gems pull humorlessly toward yon cages, which seem to have materialized from nothing. Relaxed stance suddenly grows tense with concerned musing -- what would become of the creatures we didn't capture and bring to the 'ship'? Would they be pushed to extinction? It seemed a cruel fate.

Troubled, I pass a glance to Africa, curious of her reaction, "Yar...there is no way to preserve them all." Impossible. Bottomless pools soften upon regarding her, as does my composure. By now the daughter of sand fire was likely pushed to exhaustion. Fina coos softly, a rare show of sympathy, her eyes upon that noticeable swell of loin and hip.

These patched limbs move to lead us beyond the crowd, though they are not of a traveling purpose. I aim to settle us in the awing shade of our salvation, away from prying eyes and blistering glare. "Rest," I whisper firmly, without room for argument, "We can move at dusk. Our hunting would prove fruitless if done during the heat, cooler air will lure all manner of beast from their shelters." This sweaty frame, bleached by light, keeps well away from Africa's sweltering flesh and flame -- aiming not to maintain distance out of discontent, but provide aid toward comfort by not teasing further discomfort between us. Neve slips down from heaven, she lands upon the grass before our hooves. A cool breeze follows her path, and despite the stagnant heat, a trail of glittering ice lingers upon blades of flora that brush against her body.

________

When evening finally fell. Bringing with it blissful waves of comfortable air, I moved into the dimming light. Noticing yon gathering had all but dispersed -- yet Earth continued his work. My gaze wandered to the line of timber hidden beyond a swell in the distance. Crown shifts round at an angle, stretching, attempting to brush the butt of my snout against grey velvet that resided as a weary shadow. "Do ye yet have strength?" Fina circled eagerly overhead and Neve shuffled to the end of my spine -- "We hunt?" the older child rasped with more excitement than expected. I nod and silently murmur, "Aye, alive though."

Without eyes to see, I know that her creamy beak clicks together, gaze narrows in opposition. Yet, she agreed without argument. Neve springs from my spine, ivory talons coiled as she frantically moves to gain ground. "Mind her," I cautioned. Fina scoffs inwardly, but slows her racing pace nevertheless and allows a younger sibling ample time to catch up. Those predator eyes sharply turn to land upon yon starlight avian...almost expectant that he should also be encouraged to join their efforts.

While they went off, I turned us toward the forest. Smaller game could be managed with companion aid.

______

The sun sank from view and darkness fell as the purple light vanished slowly.

______

There was a rustling ahead. Gems flick
up, nostrils flare to catch the hard musk of a brilliant stag, whom just emerged from the wood. His dark eyes, (brown, but almost black in the dim light) unhurriedly glanced our way, pausing midstep to regard us with comfortable manner. Delicate ears bent, they are shadowed by a set of antlers still young and covered in velvet. One corner of my jaw slips higher. A heartbeat later a doe emerges, sniffing his flank with breakable fascination; her pelt was unique -- untarnished. A soft cream, but not nearly albino. The male shifts his attention her way, momentarily forgetting our existence.

Tis all the distraction I needed.

Power had been quietly building within me; golden sand sprang from the ground -- lunging for yon pair. Hidden within those swirling granules are fine threads of gold that sprang from its center. They lash smoothly around those slender legs and pull tight. The two beasts fell over, their feet hobbled. Terror renewed.

There was no gentler way to leash a wild thing.

@[Africa]
Image Credit
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow

There is something wrong about capturing wild animals.

They are wild for a reason - free, untamed. It is the first task Volterra has been set that he actually disagrees with. Killing small game for his dragon, fine. Capturing it to enslave it upon a boat? No, it is morally wrong. Yet still the colt obeys the gods' commands, heading out in search of animals to bring with them onto the ship. Vérzés holds a squirming, screaming rat within his claws, untintentionally digging the razor-sharp talons deeper into the flesh and looking mildly shocked when it makes the rat squeal louder. Volterra can sense that the crimson war-dragon is confused, because usually when he catches something he devours it. Yes, sometimes he will play with it first - catlike, practicing his fighting - but he rarely engages in such prolonged torture. And in Volterra's mind it is torture, because the rat would clearly prefer to be scavenging in the bushes rather than being hauled along by a predator.

The duo are heading back to the beach after capturing the rat in the forest, the beastling moving at a high-legged trot whilst Vérzés soars along beside him, rat clutched tightly. It is the sight of a stag and his pale doe that ensnares the young warmonger's attention, crimson gaze shifting as shackles appear from midair, capturing both of the mighty creatures. Shock and awe ghosts across stern features as he moves closer, noting a painted pegasus stallion seems to be the cause of the hobbles. The sight of earth magic makes the colt green with envy, unaware that such untamed majesty also bubbles dormant within his bloodstream. "That's a neat trick," he observes, gaze focused on the deer. Vérzés lands upon the ground by his bonded's massive legs, rat pinned beneath two clawed forepaws as he looks hungrily at the deer.

SOME LEGENDS ARE TOLD, SOME TURN TO DUST OR TO GOLD
BUT YOU WILL REMEMBER ME FOR CENTURIES

@[Nymeria]

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

That’s crazy... she thought almost sourly, thinking quickly of the desert’s elusive hyppocamp, the camels there and the skins; the tiny Threshold twix and even the wailing basilisk she had seen in Deep Forest a long time ago. Naturally she wanted them all to be saved – not just a lucky few to repopulate a drying landscape. Concerned eyes flicked to Midas and they found his tender golden gaze upon her – as though her own thoughts had been translated through the lines on her pallid face, he spoke. “But he’s the God of the Earth?” Africa rebutted quickly, trying to make sense of their fond deity’s request. “I wish he would save them all...” And though she said nothing of it, the one-winged mare imagined there were some of their equine kind who could easily trade place with an innocent – many even, in their place.

A hot flush harried the skin beneath soft facial fur, and her wide barrel squirmed unnervingly, perhaps even visibly.

Even her simplest of minds understood that there was no point in arguing the subject; she followed automatically as Midas turned from the thrum of the dizzying crowd and they soon arrived beneath gaping arms of an old, leafy oak. The cool shade was a pleasant, instant relief. The black and white insisted she rest, and there was no space allowed for tired arguments in his tone - she had not the energy left to bother in any case. Aching limbs carried her a little deeper before joints locked with a jolt beneath the burden of her weight, and without a second thought lashes sealed snug around creamy eyes.

Silas lifted quickly from his beloved’s curved hip and took rest on a barky bough, above. He watched curiously as Fina’s cool-coloured sister slipped down to stand in the grass, strange frost following in her wake; star-glitter poured off his own feathers, more visible in the shadows, but the fire-bird was easily the most beautiful in their unique trio (he thought anyway).

Hours later, the tender stroke of the stallion’s whiskered nose roused her from light doze and light eyes opened, a warm smile to greet him. Glancing around, with ears swivelled forward in curious fashion, she noticed that the light had dimmed to dusk, and the air had cooled to a more comfortable balmy temperature. She nodded quickly to his query, “Yes,” and shook her coat vigorously to loosen stiff sinew. As she did so, round stomach swayed boldly and each leg below splayed out in sequence to prevent toppling.

The break had been worth Midas’ time - the irritation building on her fatigue (and sparking hormones), had been soothed away almost entirely for the time being.

As Fina sailed eagerly above, brighter still than the sun on a fine day, the nocturnal zephyr rose to join her in the air – the ice-princess rose also, with (now expected) enthusiasm. Only the blanket of night’s deepening shadow was left as the bright orb sank beneath the far away horizon, but Silas was in his element and made no effort to dull his flaunting display.

Africa stiffened as the stallion’s obsidian skull lifted to the wind (though light was its existence), and followed its bridge to the tapering end to find the antlered silhouette of a deer – poised with equal concern. His mate followed with soft, inaudible tread and touched breath against his pelt; it was a moment of intimacy that touched the one-winged mare’s gentle heart, and so too her irregular mood (the rapid climax of oestrogen swirling to life in irrational frenzy).

That that wonderful euphoria quickly dissolved when tendrils of earth, golden-laced sand, leapt for the couple; jaw dropped a little and pale eyes fell wider, incredulous, though dismayed. It had been a cunning plan thoughts noted quickly, as full realisation of the task they had been dealt set in – thought of their salvation brought small relief, enough to stiffen the lunge of her disgruntled tongue into silence. Unhappily, but resolved to the situation they were in, Africa danced lips across the stallion’s dark shoulder – comfort, reassurance, but jerked back suddenly when the sound of a voice shattered their solitude. A colt and his dragon were watching – and she winced visibly when eyes caught sight of the shadow squirming beneath fastened talons.

Image Credits

@[Midas]

Hector Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 18.3hh :: 7 Years HP: 63 | Buff: ENDURE
Veci :: Plain Boggart :: Suffocate Dream

No Time for Lies and Empty Fights

There were few things left in Helovia that the tawny giant felt were truly worth saving. As he strolled with young Isara in toe through the meadow, he mused fondly about her – because she was developing far more rapidly than he had presumed possible for a... child. Frequently he passed his paternal eye across her, and a smile would quirk the edge of his stern expression. She had softened him in a sense, carved compassion into the ridged poise of a soldier; perhaps she was fonder too him still more than Daenerys or Morana had ever been. It was a pleasant feeling, though he showed its effect to none but her.

They delivered the litter of plants as required, and Hector led Isara south for the second time in as many days when the next task - to catch animals - was given. Without question he charged himself with transportation of their trap, it was unwieldy, clinking and rattling to the tempo of a more considerate pace. But there was another plan rising through his mind, and as the crowd dispersed and evening’s bruise thickened around them, the stalwart stallion turned his face down to reveal it.

"This is the perfect opportunity, Isa," he rumbled softly through the slow quiet of the hour. "Why not practice your technique by trapping these critters beside you?" It was an honest enough suggestion, though perhaps the practicality of it lacked logic – if all else failed, he would hunt down a hare, or a fox if need be...

They were approaching the tree line. Veci, aide us, but do not kill, he instructed firmly, and the Boggart writhed delightedly in place. Copper eyes were peeled and scanning carefully as they slipped ever nearer beside the ominous dark of the forest; few sounds broke the silence surrounding – it was dense, unnerving – and as a precaution the stallion lifted the wing nearest to maintain contact with his child. "Veci is watching," he hummed reassuringly, but his attention was quickly snapped left by the stir of voices nearby. "Come," he whispered, stepping off cautiously with steps impossibly quiet.

Ahead there materialised the figures of three, two familiar and one not so. He approached with wings ajar in proud salutation - the stallion of those grouped was a dear friend, a brother beside whom many a war had been won. "Midas," he crooned, noting Africa (the mislaid once-Sultana of his home) with a cautious nod. Gaze blazed over the third party, the winged serpent by his foot and finally the fallen stag and his doe. "Ambitious..." he mused aloud with an obvious smirk tainting his tone – he slipped a sly glance by the painted Czar.

"This is Isa," he mentioned with lips touched to the filly’s poll tenderly. "...she is in my care. Isa, Midas and Africa once called the desert sands home." There was no need for the specifics surrounding – the past seemed irrelevant. "And you?" he continued, nodding to the lingering colt, "I am Hector."

@[Isara]

• Dragon's Throat Rank Experience: Fortify | Level 3
• Permission given for moderate power play, magical influence and damage at all times

Isara Posts: 34
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.1 hh :: 2 year [Birdsong] HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Evvers

As we traveled back to the meadow with our cache of plants, I couldn't help but feel Hector looking at me every once in a while. When I looked at him though, I only manage to catch some form of quirky smile tugging at the corner of his mouth. Warm feelings began to bloom within me as I realized that no matter what Hector was going to be there for me. It didn't matter that I had this weird magic that I had no control over yet. It didn't matter that my wings were larger than they should be. It didn't matter that I wasn't his flesh and blood – or at least I didn't think I was. A soft smile formed upon my lips as we grew closer to the meadow and it was there because I was with him, my father.

When we arrived and turned in our collection the organizer gave us another task which entailed catching animals so that they may be saved as well. I nodded my head to show him that I understood and chased after Hector. One thing about these tasks and all their traveling...they were sure helping me figure out how to hold my wings while trying to go faster. By now, keeping up with Hector was much easier than it was at the beginning. Maybe soon I'd be able to fly or learn how to fight and be a warrior like Hector is or other things like maybe be a spy whatever that was.

We were beginning to near the forest that we were in not so long ago when Hector told me that this would be the perfect time to practice my magic to try trapping our animals. But what if I killed them instead? What would we do then?

“Okay,” I said nervously. I didn't entirely like the idea of trying to use my magic to trap our animals when I didn't know how to control it yet, let alone how to use it. I...I was scared both times and well it just happened. Maybe that was the answer? Maybe I had to somehow tap into that feeling...being scared.

Why did it have to be fear that activated it?

'Veci is watching,' Hector mused quietly before calling for me to come. Who was Veci? Was he some sort of god or spirit that Hector believed in? Was he a loved one that Hector lost a long time ago and believed watched over us like an angel? Was he even a he? I was confused and wanted to ask him about it but figured I could ask him another time...when we were less busy and didn't have the threat of a flood looming over top of us.

It was quiet in the forest now, but after about a half hour I spotted something moving just on the other side of a tree and curiously I chased after it – leaving Hector's protection. My legs carried me somewhat quietly – as I was trying to be – and eventually I found myself on a raised ledge with a nothing much besides a large hollow log. Over the edge and below I could see Hector and a couple other bodies...including one wingless.

Be brave like Hector

“Where did you go,” I muttered to myself as I began to head back the way I came. But I was soon cut short by the sight of two orange and white furry creatures standing in my way. A smile quickly formed on my lips at the sight of them, but it quickly disappeared because I noticed neither of them seemed all to happy with me. Slowly, I took a step backwards closer to the log and when I did that they both seemed to launch off towards me.

Their sudden approach caught me off guard. I thought it was I who was supposed to be hunting, but this seemed to be the other way around. I stumbled backwards as I tried to put some distance between me and the angry orange creatures but they seemed to be moving faster than I was.

Wait! My magic. I'm supposed to be practicing my magic right now. Thoughts whirled inside my brain as I tried to forcefully use my magic. They were getting closer and closer and right about when I thought I was going to fail I charged up to the log, stood my ground, and waited for them to attack. Only they didn't. Right at the last second spikes protruded from the earth around me. But they were different this time. They were yellow and not near as tall as they were with December. As they started to appear I squealed with excitement but then realized that I didn't have it under control. I tried to concentrate to control this ability. After a little bit I could feel a grasp on it and watched as the yellow spikes began to appear where I wanted them to.

Now it was time to catch them.

Unfortunately, I was too late for one of the creatures. Its body hung limply from atop one of the spikes with red blood dripping down the spike. The sight of it made my stomach turn and form a knot. I... I was responsible for killing a living thing now... I didn't know how I felt about that exactly. The other creature however was caught within the grasps of several spikes stuck where it stood, but it was unharmed. It snarled and snapped at me and I felt a little pleased with myself.

Pale ears swiveled as a small yipping noise reached me and my head turned towards the log. Was something hiding in there? Curiously, I walked over and peered inside it. To my amazement there were three creatures that were smaller than the one I had caught. They were smaller and more brownish.

“Babies,” I murmured as I realized just why the two creatures had acted like they did. Guilt began to wash over me as I looked back over to the one that laid dead on a spike and to the one trapped within my magic.

I...I had killed one of their parents.

But I could make it up to them! I could save them.

“Shh,” I whispered to the three smaller creatures as I reached in for them, “Everything will be okay. I just want to help.”

Within a few minutes I drug all three of the smaller creatures out and held them by their tails. I was about to leave with the three smaller creatures because I didn't know how to get the bigger one free, but as I turned to leave I realized something. I had accidentally trapped myself on the ledge too. Shit.

I looked around, but saw no other way to Hector besides going over the edge – which was like a long ass way down by the way. Mind turned to my wings for a minute. They shuffled about as I tested them out, considering the possibility of trying to fly for the first time ever. Hrm...I might be able to make it.

I back myself up until my butt barely felt the cold touch of the yellow spikes behind me. A few seconds passed as I mentally prepared myself for what I was about to do and then I took off running with the three smaller creatures still being held by their tails in my mouth. The ledge came sooner than I thought it would have and panic began to fill me as I grew closer and closer to it. Then in an instant I felt the ground leave my hooves as I propelled myself off the edge and outstretched my wings as much as I could.

Glee filled me and if I didn't have the three creatures dangling by my mouth, I would have laughed. I was flying! I WAS FLYING! I WAS....falling...slowly. The ground grew closer and closer as I glided further and further. SHIT! I thought to myself as I realized I had no idea how to land.

It didn't matter though. Soon my legs touched the ground and I began rolling upon the ground – all the while doing my best to protect the babies from harm. I skidded to a halt at Hector's feet and besides a few scrapes I was relatively unharmed. Even the baby creatures were unharmed. They seemed a little shaken, but they were unharmed. Quite happy with myself, I got up and stuck them in the cage that Hector brought with us.

“I think their mum is up there stuck in my magic,” I report to him just before he introduces me to the winged equines named Midas and Africa. “Hi!” I smiled softly at them as I listened to Hector explain that they used to call Dragon's Throat their home too. My brow furrowed a little. Used to call it home?

“Why did they leave?” I pose the question aloud for all to hear, but it was mostly geared towards Hector. Then he spoke to the wingless colt. Why did he seem so chummy around them? The question lingered in my mind. But instead of cowering like I usually did, I tried to be brave...like Hector. And even though I felt uncomfortable, I tried my best to keep my composure as Hector continued to socialize with him. Maybe not...all...wingless were bad.

"Isara's speech"|"Isara's thoughts"

WORD COUNT;; 1573
TAGGED;; @[Hector]
OOC;; Sooo Isa is starting to come out of her shell xD And she went after Foxes 8D Oh and this time she made HELIODOR crystal spikes.

Use of force and magic is allowed on Isara, as long as it does not result in permanent bodily harm or death. Otherwise just ask! Also tag in all posts if you so desire. 8D
Hector has permission to powerplay Isa.