the Rift

A place to return to (Tor, Mirage)

Lace the Silverthorn Posts: 459
Deceased atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 14 HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Fajira :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath Chan

He waited quietly by the border, a gray shape standing beneath the branches of a barren tree. It was cold, a morning wrapped in mist where everything appeared to have frozen in place. Ice crust wrapped around strands of grass, turning the ground into something delicate and precious. Soon the sun would rise higher and melt the lingering frost of night, soon the wind would scatter the damp mist and dance through the forest by the sea. But for now everything was still and quiet, soft as the breaths of the dragon that slept peacefully upon a gilded back.

It was hard to tell whether minutes had passed or decades in this cathedral of nature, and it didn't matter. He would wait as long as was necessary, in order to answer for his actions.

A call had gone out across the lands, a wish to meet again that was a bit more forceful than he had intended. By nature Lace disliked to be left without a choice and as such he also generally disliked to force others into situations they had no mean of controlling. This time he had forgotten that he wasn't responsible only for himself and his own actions; not only was he involving someone who might be a friend, but he had also dragged in the entire herd. It was hard to predict what the consequences of his forgetfulness would be, but he sincerely hoped that it wouldn't end in a loss of trust.

BronzeHalo.deviantart.com
♦ Permission granted to use magic and violence on Lace and Fajira
♦ Only tag in new threads, spars and if it's urgent
The Store | The Warden

Tor Posts: 197
World's Edge Nurse
Mare :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 9
Adoptable

TOR
a mare who is forever wandering, bound by nothing but her mind

Kid-napped? Horse-napped? A horse thief in the night? The draft's eyes were shining bright, caught somewhere between hurt, indignation, and surprise. Gray and white she was, graced with big bones and a kindly face. He had called for her, more forcefully than she should have wished, but she had come with no fight. It was not in her heart's nature to try to run against the tide. But why? Why did he seek her so? The fine grullo, seeking out the clumsy draft. Surely not a love-seeking request. Perhaps a herd. Maybe. But she had made her intentions clear- so she thought. She liked the freedom of will that came with her wandering.

Hooves crushed white snow underfoot. Sparkling brown eyes, her trademark, found him. Lace. He looked just as fine, a gentlemen as always, but gold dusted his back, a fine layer like the suit of the rich man. Why had he sought her? A healer, a draft? A herd recruit? Yet, Tor found the idea disturbing. She had no wish to fight the savage, forever-flowing ocean, but...

"Lace." They had had only interesting meetings, and only under the cover of thunderstorms. At least Tor looked decent now, not a wet mess with a sodden mane and drenched feathers. The draft sighed gustily, uncertain of her position. The healer didn't know what to say. What? Did she cry out in anger? Have her eyes flash with fury like something out of a fable? No. Perhaps it would be best to wait and see.

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

Word Count: 230

((Well, just jump in when you have time then ^^))

They saw her coming through the mist and waited patiently for her to approach, statures relaxed and casual. At least, on the outside. His insides however felt like a stirred up ants nest, with tingles crawling through the gut and legs and urging him to turn and run away.

Why nervous? Fajira asked from her perch in the tree above, and turned the hazy eyes down toward him curiously. She ran first, when the wolves came. Lace hummed faintly, remembering the dripping wet night when they had met in the depths of the eastern forest. The brief conversation, the sudden appearance of a group of predators and the just as sudden disappearance by Tor. He guessed it was reason enough to want to talk to her, reason enough to call her out in such a way. Demanding, leaving little room to decline the 'invitation'. He sighed, not sure what to make of the situation.
It's not that simple he replied quietly, before returning his attention to the painted mare.

"Welcome to the Edge, Tor" he greeted with a slight smile and downed the head in a slightly formal greeting. Come to think about it, he knew little more about her than that she was called Tor, was a healer and had been unaffiliated with a herd last time they met. It was quite possible that it had changed since their last meeting though - just look at himself.
He met her eyes and noticed the flurry of emotions she must be carrying, the questions and - he flinched almost unnoticeable - the hurt. Ouch. He hadn't meant to make her worry, but perhaps it was inevitable. With such a summons, and from someone that might be a friend but in reality probably wasn't more than a stranger... Guess he couldn't blame her.

"First of all, I would like to apologize for the way I called you" he began, taking shelter behind politeness and formality in order to hide his own confusion about the situation. Better that she saw the polished smile, the soft glint of the eyes and listened to the smooth voice - calm, soothing, reassuring. Liar

"I came out a bit more forceful than I had intended. Basically, I simply wished to talk to you, but without knowing how or where I might be able to find you... I hope you can forgive me." He shrugged with a slightly sheepish look, gaze wandering as if he couldn't quite manage to look her in the eyes. The perfect image of someone who was ashamed of what he was doing - only, was he really ashamed? Lace wasn't sure himself.

"How have you been since last time we met?" he continued, an ear twitching barely noticeably at the subject.

"The time-night-storm-raining-forest you turn-back-ran, leaving us-white-fire-spider-web and white-as-cloud-Sohalia to snarling-hunger-teeth-snapping-wolves."

The dragons voice tried to penetrate the barriers of Tor's mind, reaching out accusingly with a language that was heavily riddled with images and emotions rather than words. Lace was astonished, enough so that he forgot to reprimand the little White for intruding into the mind of someone. He hadn't known she felt so strongly about what she saw as a betrayal, a cowardly act. The stallion had barely even reflected upon it beside noting a vague feeling of disappointment in the mares actions. She was a healer after all... Yet still, somehow that didn't feel like enough of a reason to abandon others in order to save her own skin.

The Store | The Warden

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

TOR

Tor shifted uncomfortably, but her ears flicked forward, listening attentively enough. The stallion's greetings were polite enough, even if they seemed to hide other meanings behind their tense inflections. Tor was hindered by a sense of needing to know, but she restrained herself. Dark eyes blinked, momentarily shuttered by white eyelashes. It seemed the chilled morning reflected the intricate balances of push-and-pull at a standstill between Lace and Tor. A quick bob of her head answered Lace's attempt at condolences. It was not... it was... in truth, Tor didn't know at all what she was thinking, or even doing, really. Of course, the grullo had danced around the subject of why she was here. That in itself was an interesting note.

A shiver ran through the hefty tobiano as an alien conscience brushed across her mind, filled with rage and spite. It withdrew, the only thing Tor could make out were a child's mangled words hardly understandable. The presence of so unknown, so bizarre, so totally unreletable Tor found herself shaking uncontrollably, nervous spasms twisting through her. What was that?

Control yourself. Inhaling deeply, Tor pushed away the fear, drawing herself up, head held at such an angle it conveyed an image of humbleness, distaste, pride and hesitancy altogether, despite the many conflicting natures. For a brief moment, the tobiano considered explaining her disappearing self. It seemed Lace and her only met to depart quickly after. "I'm well." For another second, Tor wondered if she should just fall silent, if only to make Lace uncomfortable. But such a spiteful, petty action was sure to do nothing in her favor. After all, she was, technically, at Lace and Fajira's mercy. "How are you, Lace? Our departure from our last meeting cut things short." The words were not eloquent and smooth, in fact even a little stuttered and blinkered, but the meaning was conveyed clearly enough.

I'm sorry.

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

Word Count: 316

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit

Actions and consequences were something Mirage was still coming to grips to.

Did I ever truly believe that I would be here, Akaith, a leader, with followers loyal and devoted to my cause?

It is not only your cause. It is theirs too.

What do you mean, little one?

You helped them unlock their own potential. You gave what they already held dear more meaning more.. Purpose. They always believed in you, where you do not believe in yourself.

And yet I cannot bring myself to believe in another, to call another my leader? How do they trust us, Akaith? Why can I not trust in another to lead me?

It is not in your nature.

The conversation was, as always, a silent one, a battle of wits occurring at the speed of thought. The mare stood, a black wraith against the brilliant blue sea of the Endless Blue, the salty air buffeting her silhouette so that her long, silken tendrils of mane and tail rarely laid limp against her side. The chilly air was rejuvenating, and the mental battle that was being discussed within her very cranium gave her pause. The expression upon her façade was unreadable, a mask of stony indifference, or perhaps, concentration on the inner turmoil that churned within her.

A call, a summon, though not for her, then shattered the mental silence that was gathering about her form. The golden dragon that sat atop her withers twisted her reptilian nape about to peer towards the borders of their lands, curiosity burning within her, just as it did within the mare. Golden eyes looked to her bonded, softening slightly with fondness, before seriousness took over. A nod was given, no words were spoken, not even through their bond, as the little dragon took to the skies, and the mare engaged her illusionary cloak, to investigate the meaning behind this commotion.

"When I said I longed to meet this curious mare you described to me, Lace, I did not mean in this fashion." The journey from where the mare had stood originally and where she stood now was unimportant; just before her words were uttered, the cloak she had so easily pulled over herself dropped. The black mare, average in stature and presence, stood unassumingly before the duo, her golden eyes resting heavily upon Lace's own matching ones. She had heard snippets of their conversation, and assumed that he had chosen to call this healer here for personal reasons - which was all well and good, but not when it potentially affected the herd in such a way.

"You are no prisoner to the World's Edge, Tor." Shifting her eyes to look upon the paint now, her expression softened a touch, as she spoke the words of release to the mare. Smoothly, Mirage came to stand by Lace's side, and with a gentle firmness, she made to hold the crest of his nape between her teeth, and give him a bite that would perhaps leave a bruise, but no lasting damage; it was a reprimand, one that a said you will consult me before engaging in such folly in the future. But the mare cared too deeply about him, and trusted him too much to truly punish him, banish him, or otherwise make a fool of him. The deed was done, and she would simply deal with it and move on.

"Forgive me, Tor. I am Mirage, and this is Akaith." The golden one had been busily chittering with Fajira, hovering over the gathered, gleaming as much information as she could from the smaller white one. Mirage motioned to her dragon as she introduced her, and the little gold soon made herself a perch upon Mirage's withers to watch the proceedings. "I hoped to extend the friendship of the World's Edge to you, and had hoped that we could meet under less, forced circumstances." A meaningful glance was shot at Lace, before the mare allowed that curious shadow of a smile to curl her lips.

"Please, stay within our borders until the next snowstorm comes to pass; you will find shelter and welcoming camp fires within."

[Sorry for the late reply guys! At least I got it up now :-3 ]

World's Edge Nurse
Adoptable

TOR

Tor watched, silence the only word on her lips, as the black mare appears like a wraith from the shadows, golden-eyed and golden-dragoned, with a real golden dragon close to follow her. When I said I longed to meet this curious mare you described to me, Lace, I did not mean in this fashion. Lace had mentioned Tor to Mirage? Well, that was rather interesting. Why ever would he think an outcast healer mare would do? Attack him? Help him? The tobiano mare hides this behind a peaceful mask, not really wanting to break the silence. A ting of surprise kicks in as Mirage apologizes, tells Tor that she is no prisoner to the Edge and free to stay. Dipping her head politely to Akaith, the golden dragon, Tor listens to Mirage's words of friendship and hopes of meeting under less forced circumstances. Then, the black mare offers shelter until the storm passes.

Only then does Tor speak. "It's alright, Mirage. How can Lace know where to find me where even I don't know where I wander sometimes? I'm pleased to hear we may be friends. I assure you, should you ever need a healer to help out sometime, your moon doctor is free to have me. I think I'll take you up on your offer, thank you." The gray-and-white glances to the sky, although she's not quite certain if she should leave yet.

[ooc: hope it's okay I posted before you Lace! I just wanted to finish this thread up :| ]

"talk talk talk"
move move move
think think think

He nodded quietly, accepting the shortness of her tone without objection. How could he blame her for not being very talkative? She'd been forced here after all, and for a reason that seemed more and more obscure.
"I'm doing fairly well" he answered, somewhat absently. "Things have changed around us recently, but I think it might be for the better." Golden eyes regarded the sturdily built mare, the expression hard to read. Within the mind was a seething torrent of emotion; happiness over seeing the Tor again, disappointment that she had left in such a manner before, nervousness and blame, anger, fury over a betrayal that forever marked her as a coward and untrustworthy, that made him want to sink the teeth into that pale skin and burn with crimson flames... He blinked, realizing that the emotions of the dragon was beginning to cloud his own judgment. Is it really what I feel? he pondered, while a sense of regret over the whole situation steadily grew.

"I.." he began, only to interrupt himself as a familiar presence drew closer. Lace turned an ear, knowing better than to try and spot the shadow mare before she chose to reveal herself; though once she did, he somehow wished that she hadn't.
A faint grimace slipped over the masked face as her words reached him, the regret growing strong enough to leave a foul taste in the mouth.
"My bad." he mumbled in response, accepting the punishing bite without a flinch; perhaps he did deserve it. Lately he had acted without thinking all too often, all too soon forgetting that he was responsible not only for himself anymore. The true meaning of being a member of a herd evaded him, so much that the reprimand from his leader stung less than the criticism of his friend. There was a distinction there, a difference, but it was not easy to grasp where the line went.

The stallion slipped to the back of the conversation, listening to the mares and the chatting dragons with half an ear as the bite throbbed painfully on his neck. He felt like withdrawing from the situation, leave it to Mirage to clean up his mess and just take off somewhere. A place where his mind wasn't turning on itself, where the anger of his dragon would dissipate and no one demanded an explanation he couldn't give. It was so tempting, but his sense of justice was too great to allow such selfish impulses. He sighed inwardly, and managed a faint smile as the healer chose to cover for him rather than complain about the rough 'invitation'.

"Thank you" he said quietly, presence diminished and decidedly more sedated as the warmth of a dragon hidden in the flesh of a mare radiated against his shoulder, reminding what manners demanded of him. "Again, I'm sorry for the way I carried this out. Next time, I'll make sure to be more discreet." Indeed, he still wished to speak to her, but not right now. The opportune moment had passed, his thoughts were a mess and Mirage was somewhat displeased with him; besides, he didn't know exactly what it was he wanted with the painted outcast. Just her company, the exchange of words, or something else? He really didn't know.

[ooc: No, I don't mind. Sorry for being so slow. :/ ]
The Store | The Warden