the Rift

[✗] of IDLE wings and violent SHADOWS

Hiraeth Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Hiraeth
on the run from a thief I let into my head

WHY AM I RUNNING?

She could hear the heavy, steady flow of blood pumping in her ears as hooves hastily carried the diminutive mare across the last stretch of field before the Threshold's forest. The sound was like a drum beating right behind her eyes, overwhelming her thoughts and glazing her mind in numbness. Coat was glossy with sweat, froth forming at the corners of her lips, and her chest heaving.

Shadows passed over her as the tiny pegasus transgressed into the massive expanse of forest and skidded to a stop. Wild eye finally focused on her surroundings, and she leaned against a tree, sucking down air like one would water after passing through the desert. But what she thought were 'mere minutes' spent running, turned out to be hours.. enough for the sun to sink from its prominent position in the sky. But even in the waning day and rising night, the Tallsun's wrath could still be felt. The dusk's darkness was heavy, looming, and the humidity seemed to suck out all oxygen from the air surrounding her.

She looked back to the dark expanse of field that she had traversed. Her chest felt tight with a mixture of agitation, anticipation, and nervousness. Everything on her way here had been a blur; why? She couldn't remember anything other than an overwhelming urge - a panic - to move, to run, that she couldn't explain.

Hooves nervously shifted her weight between legs, and her vision flitted from corner to corner, shadow to shadow. She appeared to be searching for Something... Something that had apparently followed her here, but now made Itself scarce. Her depth perception was bad enough in the daytime thanks in part to her blind eye; but at night? It was near impossible to make out one thing from the next. Frustration with her troubled eyesight was so very obvious as it lingered on her brow, and ears slipped back into the mess that was her mane.

No going back now, I gather, she pondered. She turned away from the edge of the forest, and tentatively headed further into the Threshold. She knew nothing of this strange land and its odd smells, and she felt so very small compared to the giant trees that loomed over her. Footsteps were nervous and quiet, wings tucked tightly by her sides, and her head held almost level with her shoulders as she eagerly searched for an open area where the moonlight could filter through the trees.

She stepped hoof into a little clearing that was scattered with small saplings and sparse mushrooms. Was this the place her Mother and Them talked about? Was this 'West'... or had she not traveled far enough?

"Hello?" she murmured, accent being such an odd cross between a heavy Danish and Welsh accent, that it was startling to hear it come from such a pint-sized mare. Staring nervously around, her ears slowly inched up in mild curiousness.. This place was so vast, but so empty at the same time. She had been traveling alone for quite a while, but this feeling of solitude was somehow worse than before..

[ǂ] 513 Word Count ----- Thread is open to anyone! [ǂ]
Code © INKBONE, please do not use!

Rostislav Posts: 245
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 7 (Frostfall) HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Damaris :: Common Hellhound :: Acid Lauren
Just keep recruiting, just keep recruiting. Just keep recruiting recruiting.. Fuck that that's a mouthful. I guess I need to find a new song to sing. Damaris doesn't seem to enjoy my singing - out loud or in my head. She perks up when I stop, and we pick up our pace, with both of us 'pounding the pavement' and forging ahead. MORE RECRUITS. It doesn't take long before a female voice rings out in the forest. I stop, head raising toward the sky with ears perked. 'Don't just stand there, let's go.' Damaris chuckles and leads us both forward. Soon we stumble upon a cream pegasus, her wings tucked against her body. Upon further examination, I see she's marred by burns. Not that this bothers me of course, I have my own scars that I carry everyday, and I know those who carry scars even worse than my own. Four white socks, thick feathers. I cough and clear my throat, trying to politely announce myself.

"G'day Miss. My name is Rostislav and this this Damaris. We come from the Hidden Falls herd." I smile and bow my head politely. Damaris lets out a small ruff in greeting and sits down by my front legs. Will others come to join this recruiting effort? Will this be a slam dunk for me? I don't know. Perhaps I should take it easy and just let things happen as they will. 'That sounds like a good plan, love.' Damaris leans against me as we wait for the reply of the flawed but still beautiful pegasus.

WC: 261
Tag: @[Hiraeth]

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Rostislav excluding dismemberment and death.

Unregistered

Hiraeth

Hiraeth breathed in the silence that washed over the moonlit Threshold. Haunches casually pressed back against a small cluster of trees to her south as her green-eyed stare surveyed the quiet forest. Gaze followed the trees from their base, head tilting back as she looked up to the canopy. In the few moments she had taken to stop walking, the drumming in her ears faded, and the cooling sweat started to chill her skin.

It was right then and there that the silence was broken, and the small pegasus nearly jumped out of her skin in fright. Eye quickly redirected itself to the bay stallion as she turned her head to face the right side, and her one good eye, towards him. She was too stunned - too shocked - at what stood before her to form words. Horns? A tail that is... almost... hairless? Brow furrowed and ears tilted back in confusion, as she attempted to work out exactly what he was. In all her life, she had only encountered the (seemingly) normal equines of her homeland... never once had she seen or even known it was possible to possess almost reptilian-like qualities, such as his horns and whip-like tail.

Her focus drifted from eying the stallion from head to toe, to his hellhound companion. Gaze that had been previously staring confused at Rostislav, suddenly turned to one of near-panic. Head jerked up sharply as her haunches pressed her even harder against the foliage behind her, which now felt like more of a cage than a place to casually lean against. Ears disappeared into a messy mane as every muscle in her body tensed, and she pulled one feathered limb up to her chest. To her, wolves were nothing short of predators that fed upon equines like herself... so in this strange land, why was she to think this 'wolf' was any different?

With her breath caught in her throat, she stared at the duo; petite little mare was unsure whether to panic and run. Any chance that she would respond to his kind words was swept away with her fear. "W-olf?" she stammered in her heavy accent, gaze flitting from the hellhound, to the stallion.

[ǂ] @[Rostislav] Let me know if you'd like me to continue tagging you! [ǂ]

Bucephalus the Morningstar Posts: 292
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1 :: 6 || Tallsun HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Azeeza :: Orange-breasted Falcon :: None Tribs

"Be at peace, the wolf will not attack you." Of course the black didn't know that, but as he walked in on the scene before him, he couldn't help the concern that furrowed his brow. Gold eyes flickered towards the unicorn and his canine companion, and Azeeza perked her head up, watching the hellhound curiously before she regarded the trembling pegasus. Disdain trickled through her thoughts, and the Morningstar had to fight to keep from feeling the same. It was only natural to fear the wolf; not even pegasi were immune.

"Hush stranger, no one will harm you here. My name is Bucephalus, and my companion here," he gestured to Azeeza, perched upon his back, "may I know your name?" He spoke soothingly, wings tilted forward with the undersides bared in a gesture of peace, hoping to soothe his fellow pegasus's trembling.

She looked ready to bolt, and the Morningstar turned his attention towards the unicorn, brow still furrowed. "Perhaps have your hound roam elsewhere, at least until our friend here has settled down?" Azeeza focused upon the unicorn, her gold eyes narrowed, orange brows pulled down sharp over her already fierce eyes. There was an odd stench that stuck to the unicorn, one bitter enough to make the falconet want to gag, her disgust at the odor merging with the black's.

He didn't understand this companion thing at all. Azeeza merely chortled and ran her beak through his mane as Bucephalus turned his attention back to the winged dove. "Welcome to Helovia, miss. I am sorry your introduction has frightened you." He smiled softly.

@[Hiraeth] @[Rostislav]

Image Credit

Pixel by Aud

Rostislav Posts: 245
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 7 (Frostfall) HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Damaris :: Common Hellhound :: Acid Lauren
Her clear and tangible panic makes my gut twist, and I wonder if the ground hasn't dropped out from beneath me. The poor pegasus is completely startled, and clearly frightened out of her skin at the sight of Damaris standing next to me. I wonder if my appearance also frightens her, or if it is just the glowing eyes of the hellhound. 'W-wolf?' Trembling voice asks me. But before I can answer I'm interrupted by the sudden appearance and voice of another stallion. I turn to look as a black and gold pegasus appears. Do I know him?

He completely ignores me at first. He answers for me, saying that the wolf - she's a hellhound, not a wolf you moron - will not harm her. Of course she won't, but I was not exactly given a time to say that was I? I cock my head and stare at him in part disbelief, part disgust as he introduces himself as Bucephalus. Then he has the gall to ask me to send Damaris away?! If the poor pegasus mare weren't so completely terrified I would have denied him that satisfaction and attacked him on the spot. But when inviting strangers to your home you have to play nice. I bite back a sigh and look down at Damaris. 'Please, go. She is frightened by you and I have to play by the nice rules.' I nod her off. 'I understand. Call me when you are finished, love.' She trots off away from our gathering, and I appreciate her willingness to cooperate and humor the desires of a lesser form.

When I turn back, I am ready to take my thunder back from Bucephalus. Speaking to the lady, with a small glance at Bucephalus, I answer her worries. "As Bucephalus said, Damaris my hellhound would not have harmed you. But since she frightens you, I have sent her away." Of course I cannot open wings to welcome her as Buce has, for I have no wings. Even so, I find the gesture more threatening than welcoming. A smile settles on my face as I continue. "Please Miss, tell us your name. I am here to welcome you, and offer you a home should you desire one." Though I assume she does want a home, I will not say so as that might come off rude speaking to someone so frightened.

I glance over at Bucephalus and find myself wanting to rip his eyes out. He is rude, he is presumptuous, and I don't like him. I make a note to myself that this Bucephalus will have to prove himself to me, should he ever care to be on my good side. (Perhaps he won't, but if he changed his mind it would be an obstacle.) An ear slides sideways toward him as I keep tabs on what shenanigans he will pull next.

WC: 479
Tag: @[Hiraeth]

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Rostislav excluding dismemberment and death.

Unregistered

Hiraeth

Her attention darted towards the dark pegasus that suddenly appeared on the scene. Hearing their words, coupled with the hellhound's moderately passive appearance, lessened her guard a little. Senses were still overwhelmed by the amazingly large amount of strange things bombarding her, but she managed to compose herself well enough for tense muscles and body to slowly relax with a few passing seconds. Her head lowered and and leveled with her shoulders as she looked between the two stallions that were present in the clearing with her, regarding them both with silent inquisitiveness.

She turned her good eye towards the newest arrival, tilting her head in mild curiousness. Gaze focused majority on his wings, and then tentatively glanced over at her own right wing as she unfurled it, as if comparing the two. Mother said wings weren't natural.. The long silence that befell the small mare - who was quite dwarfed by the two surrounding her - was odd at very best.

"My name is Hiraeth," she spoke quietly, "... I come from Northeast. Is this as far West as one can go?" She couldn't help but wonder if what Mother had meant when she spoke of 'those in the west,' was that they would be like her..

The Shadows appeared just as quickly as she thought those words. Their form - seen only by her eyes (a fact she is unaware of) - was ephemeral and abstract at best. There was no expression on Their faces, no words on Their lips... just a cold silence that chilled the button-sized mare. Instinctively, her body and muscles became rigid again; stiff and nervous as her eyes followed Them from one side of the clearing to the next. Breathing caught in her throat and became shallow as They passed between the two stallions with a slow, almost uncaring gait.. coming to rest between the two, although lingering a tad closer to the black and gold pegasus.

It was there that They stopped, and so did her eyes. Their stature and height dwarfed both of the stallions. Ears that had been plastered back against her head in nervous confusion slowly inched up in curiousness. It was quite unusual for Them to be so.. quiet, if that was the correct word. Petite head cocked to the side as she regarded the lingering Shadows, unkempt forelock falling across her eyes in an immature fashion. But just as quickly as They came, They were gone; vaporizing and melding into the shadows at the edge of the clearing. Why? They never show up just to leave...

She glanced between the pegasus and unicorn, a look of genuine confusion crossing her face for a brief moment. Maybe the stallions just didn't happen to notice Them. They had to be so distracted by attempting to comfort her, that they were blissfully unaware of the looming figure that had been standing a foot or so to their south.. right? Surely her intimidation by Their presence wasn't uncalled for, even if They had never posed physical harm to her in the past.

She felt an irritating, throbbing ache start to form behind her blind eye. The resonating pulse was distracting; maybe it was the Tallsun's humid wrath that brought upon the headaches? Or perhaps her mind was simply overwhelmed by the vast amount of bizarre new sensations, stimulations, and creatures this strange land was home to...

After a minute or two of awkward silence as she regained herself, she speaks up again. "Helovia... Hellh-uund? Is all this normal?" she murmurs, stepping more towards the center of the clearing, and away from the shadows with a nervous glance. Her mispronunciation of such a simple word was a bit comical, but could easily be attributed to her thick accent. "I'm sorry for my confusion; where I come from, even wings are not common... let alone glowing wol- um," she stopped herself, looking embarassed, "... hellhunds."

Edited @10a; I realized I was sleepy when I wrote this, and that the paragraphs about the Voices made almost no sense... :X Sorry! Hopefully I fixed that. @[Rostislav] @[Bucephalus]