the Rift

[OPEN] mareld;
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo

i am the vanguard of your destruction
He's down by the sea where she washed up, not in the shadows of the white cliffs, not hiding where he knows it's safe; he's out on the beach, mind churning like the glowing seas. He's here, because he doesn't think there's any memories here.

Oh, of course there were memories, but he cannot summon any memories of her—his demon clad in white, the ghost staring at him across a sparring ring's distance with empty eyes.

He didn't know why he thought of her again, except for the fact that he did. It had come over him up in the Edge, where he'd done nothing but haunt the forest as usual, and driven him from that place of memory and away, out into something else, some place where he could think without having it echo around his skull like something rattled loose and thrown about.

But at the same time, it demanded thinking about.. mulling over memory and pain, probing scars and bruises, thinking, analyzing, trying to interpret; he wanted, needed, to put every aspect of his life under scrutiny but he found he could never grasp the whole picture. It always slipped away, elusive, out of reach, but just as gentle as the waves rocking against the silver sand. His frustration was drowned in them, soothed by their quiet song. What did he even want?

He knew some things he wanted—to rewind the tape, and fix things, all the times he'd known he'd gone wrong and done it anyway.

But if he could rewind, he would rewind seven years, and he wouldn't even be here then. He wouldn't have seen Snö born, known d'Artagnan, loved and lost Psyche, been taken by this snowstorm known as Ophelia, there would've been no Tamlin and no Sielu, he wouldn't have fucked Sialia on this very beach and so there would've been no Glacia, and his life would've been without Kahlua and Elding, too. If he could rewind seven years to change a single night, he wouldn't be here.

And at the end of everything, could he regret it? Wish it all undone? For all those lives?

How do you measure lives against one another? Such choices and feelings that were pointless to wonder about anyway, because nothing could change what had happened, and the long, lonely road he'd walked since.

So why did he stand there on the beach, staring at a cloud-covered, dark sky, and wonder who he had loved the most?

Who he loves the most?

Who does he even love?

He wished the stars were out, to reflect in his eyes and the sea. But they're not; they're hiding, behind storm-pregnant clouds, and with the temperature dropping they won't shed their burdens. He's been here before, he knows tonight is ear-marked for peace.

There had been something on the tip of his tongue, like a word he'd been about to spit at life, something to finally close the gaping wounds in his heart—but tonight had ruined that, when the thoughts had come, the guilt, the doubt, the possibilities and the pain. He was not free of what he felt. Until he heard it from her tongue, saw it in her eyes, felt it in his soul, until he knew beyond a doubt that it was definite.. until then, he knew this would always happen; the voice would always come back from the ashes and whisper, reignite into an ember, a flame, a hope and he felt like a thief.

On his back, one of the owls sat, his burning eyes paled in the night. He made a soft noise in the back of his mouth, a click escaping his curved beak, and he opened his talons. Golden light spilled onto the back of Mauja's neck, and he turned his head. It was Kahlua's rock.

That was why he felt like a thief. That was why he wanted to know—almost wanted to beg her for an end to this. To put it outside of his control.. so that he would not have to, somehow, beat his emotions into a straight line and see which was the longest.

It frightened him to put it so bluntly, so boldly, and so much like something—a task? Something that could be done? It felt detached and cold, as if he could pick and choose, but he couldn't and wasn't that the whole point? To have to stop wondering if the doors were locked? He had tormented himself for years. Something in him wanted an end.

He just couldn't bring himself to stab his own heart, and end it himself—because that voice, that ember, was there, stopping him. What if what if what if... But just as you can't live your life on what ifs in the past, you can't live your life on what ifs for the future. At some point, you just have to live in the present.

A small, bitter smile curved his dark lips, and Diego closed his talons on the small piece of sunlight again. Darkness fell upon the beach, aside from the ocean's milky glow, and he watched its ceaseless rolling with an absent look upon his face.

His attention was, after all, not on what he could see, but on what he couldn't see.

[ if you don't know what mareel/milky seas is, it's this. also, tagging @[Myrrine] but open to any and all! ]
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Myrrine Posts: 179
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 5.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 3 (Orangemoon) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Watermel0nBob

Was it smart of her to come out here on her own? Should she have turned back when she left the Edge's borders and the uncertainty had planted a tiny seed in her belly? Of course not! She was bigger now, the seasons passing and watching her grow. She would be a yearling soon, or so she was told. Tallsun came before Orangemoon, the season where the leaves changed beautiful colors and fell upon the ground. That was when she had been born, brought into this world in a pile of the crunchy leaves, and then left to rot like them. Her saving grace had been the grey mare she loved so dearly, the goddess who took her without question, nursed her to health and loved her like nothing else ever had. She could only let a wistful smile escape before, before her unique wings began to flutter, pushing air beneath her and lifting her into takeoff, where she sailed away into the sky in search of something to explore.

It had become a recent feat that she had finally learned to fly. After weeks of practice and dedication, she had finally had her first take off. It had been exhilarating, to experience the sensation of air beneath her entire body, and for the world to become completely different from the air. How wonderful it all was, to be able to fly. It was something she would always cherish, and with another gentle beat of her butterfly wings she turned, gliding along the coast with ease. The ocean seemed to call to her this time of night, the waves crashing against the shore a tender lullaby from this distance, and it was enough to send her in that direction. Once catching sight of the familiar waters she grinned, banking left and descending upon the sands. Unfortunately; landing was still something she had to work on.

Although her front hooves had landed firmly on the sands, they hadn't anticipated how quickly her hind ones would follow suit. So with her tiny rump still in her air she literally flipped over, tumbling to an abrupt halt after one or two rolls. A squeal was the only noise she could make during this process, before she was scrambling back to all fours in an attempt to regain composure. Shaking the sand from her spotted frame, Myrrine took in a deep, salty breath, before letting her hazel eyes take in the night before her. She couldn't control the soft gasp of wonder that escaped her lips. Before her the ocean glowed, swaying with each gentle current and lighting the night with its beauty. The best description for her expression in this moment would be awestruck, a bright smile on her face and eyes alight with joy.

"Wow..." she breathed out, smile widening as she moved to look to the stars, the moon nowhere to be seen. Despite this, the night was rather bright, and she couldn't help giggling and letting her wings flutter in amusement. She was glad she had come here; otherwise she would have missed quite a view. Before she could take her leave, a faint, amber flow caught her attention to the left of her, causing her tiny crown to search for the source. It had vanished before she could catch a glimpse, but still there was a larger figure, made of white and black speckles that littered his frame like hers. Blinking, it took the filly a few moments to finally register who this was, and with that bright smile still on the girl's face, she happily trotted over to him. She only hoped she didn't startle him with her approach, and her tail happily swished behind her as she came to a halt beside him. Only the sound of the waves filled the silence between them, and she wanted to make sure he knew she was there, before finally speaking," Isn't the water beautiful tonight? I don't think I've ever seen it like this before! I don't know if you remember me or not, but my name is Myrrine. We met at the World's Edge meeting!" She let her fore hoof paw delicately in the sand, making straight and curved lines as she smiled her cheery smile, and let her dark lashes flutter over her eyelids as she looked at him pleasantly.

"Speech"

OOC: Changed the table cause <3
TAG: Mauja
WC: 722

MYRRINE
Either I will find a way, or I will make one

semperfeisty | xxtgxxstock @dA | leeorr-stock @dA | jerry oldenettel @ flickr
Any force is permitted aside from death or maiming
PLEASE TAG ME IN POSTS! :3
Ascended Helovian

Och där kommer dom jag ser dom mellan träden
Snälla kan du hjälpa mig att fly
Deras ögon är som mareld över världen
Jag kryper där i askan, fågel Fenix född som ny...

What am I even doing here? He swallowed. It tasted bitter, the briny air not able to fully purge it. Here: the beach, the Edge.. Helovia. At the end of a long and crooked road it had lain, offered him some chance of starting over, but instead of going for redemption he'd gone for rekindling his crusade, returning to the ideals hammered into him by the witch-hunters. It had been like sinking back underneath the surface to dwell in murky, lukewarm waters, kept safe as much from himself as from the outside world. He had looked to those ideals for strength and meaning, and he had found both, and he had been so much more (that pain was hollow now, though, meaningless and insignificant), but it had all been a lie.

He'd come to Helovia to start over, thinking he could reap the world, but instead of cutting his losses and fleeing with his wounded heart and pride he had remained, to take every single battering it threw his way. He was no martyr; martyrs aren't self-proclaimed. If he clung to ideas that were three years outdated and stubbornly insisted that, yes, he was Helovia's demon, it wouldn't make him something beautiful, some kind of pariah or outcast angel—it would just make him a bitter old fool.

He shifted, a blue-washed ghost in the lightless night. What was he, if not a bitter old fool?

It was the kind of depressing truth he lived with, habits that were too hard to break, thought patterns that had somehow become parts of his skull, so hard were they to shift. And now, this.. this re-awakening of something he had thought was dying. Part of him wanted to give up, and part of him wanted to keep hoping.

He just didn't know what he wanted the most.

Diego's head suddenly turned, sharp eyes sweeping once, then finding, and locking. Someone was coming, sweeping through the dark night air on oddly shaped wings—a small shape barreling through a dusky world, a little light-bringer, or maybe just a lost soul trying to find home.

Maybe, a lost soul come to return to the sea. One Pegasus comes out, one goes in.. balance. A humorless smirk curved his dark lips, but he didn't turn to watch. He wasn't sure if he wanted to attract attention, because he was standing upon a thin edge that could tip him either way, between something resembling normalcy and that other, darker beast—the kind of restlessness that made accidents happen.

The small girl's touch-down wasn't all that graceful, though, and the bond swam with amusement as the owl watched her somersault into a neat pile of wings and legs. Mauja grunted. She probably would've screamed if she'd hurt herself, so there was nothing to worry about. The body could withstand more than you expected of it, even such small ones as hers. So he simply kept on gazing out, wishing she would go away quietly, because what could he offer her? Nothing. What could she offer him? Nothing, probably.

Distraction, at the most. Maybe he needed it, maybe he didn't, but the beauty of others is that you never get to decide for them what they're going to do. So, of course, she came bounding over—the kind of youth who either didn't know or ignored fire, then, and not the kind who had been burnt and feared it. Not that there was any literal fire here...

And so his quiet night was shattered, falling down in a soft sprinkling of shards around him. There were no stars, just the ocean's blue glow, and the muted attempts of his sun-rock trying to escape its prison of talons. They were both ghosts in the lack of light, outlined in the hazy reflection off the sea; it made his eyes seem darker than they were. "Myrrine," he rumbled quietly. He wasn't angry, he just felt.. sad, in a way. A little lost, a little desolate. "Of course I remember." He didn't remember everything, and far from perfectly, but he remembered much at least. Slowly, his eyes slid over her back, to the oddly bunched, striped wings; obviously, she could fly with them, but to his inexperienced eye the looked.. stunted. Misshapen. His head tilted to the side, long forelock sliding off his face to hang before one eye, and with calm curiosity he asked "Can you spread your wings for me?".

[ @[Myrrine] ]

Watermel0nBob

He paid her little mind at first, simply looking out into the glowing sea, leaving her to study him with her expressive gaze. Eyes roamed his spotted form, glowing like an ethereal ghost in this dark night, but she had no fear. If he had wanted to hurt her by now, he most likely would have, instead of acting like she didn't exist in his presence. The bird perched upon his back on the other hand seemed quite interested in her, penetrating eyes locked on her and she looked to the owl, smiling and tilting her head, giving a kind greeting with a nod. She had grown to like companions, they were a constant in Helovia and though not everyone had them (including her), she still had a fondness for them. Perhaps she would receive her own one day.

Her attention was brought back to the frosty brute, who grumbled her name quietly. He had made it clear he remembered, and she let a grin plaster itself upon her inky maw pleasantly. She was glad; it felt good to know that she was remembered by others. Because she was a foal, most would acknowledge her for a little while, but then would be on their merry way with bigger adult things to accomplish. It grew tiring after awhile, but the filly never complained, only remained polite and obedient to all who needed her, trying to be the ray of sunshine everyone craved in their life. She was okay with this task, of being a friend for someone, a keeper of secrets to those who needed confessing. She was the shoulder to cry on, the one those could look to for solace from this desolate world, and she wore the title with a badge of honor.

"I'm so glad you do Sir," she chimed in response, tone slightly hushed because of the calmer atmosphere around them. She had become comforted by the dark night and gentle waves, and she didn't want to interrupt its serenity with louder speaking than necessary. So instead she let a gentle breeze tug at her hair, billowing gently over her slightly arched neck as she studied him, before letting herself speak once again," I apologize if I've interrupted anything. You just looked like you were in need of some company. Though if you want me to depart then I will happily oblige." Dipping her head she gave a sheepish grin, understanding that not everyone enjoyed company in all of their waking moments like she. His next request brought confusion to her complexion at first, before a moment of recollection crossed in her mind. She had forgotten that her wings were different from other Pegasus’s, that the delicate texture made of fine silk and paper thin hairs was not of the norm in this place. With ease she flattened the expanse of her appendages, revealing the intricate pattern of black and white stripes, accented near the bottom with a deep blue and bright splash of red.

Smiling softly she turned away from him, fluttering her wings only briefly before letting them rest horizontally. As she did so she looked at him patiently, welcomingly, that smile never once leaving her maw as her eyes filled with warmth. She was not ashamed by her wings, and she understood that curiosity plagued everyone, even the older folk who had lived quite a long time. This man was no different, and so she let him have his look, humming softly to herself with all the patience in the world, before finally making another cheery comment," You're welcome to take a closer look or touch them, I don't mind. New things should be experienced as thoroughly as possible!" At the final comment a small giggle escaped her, chiming out like gentle bells in the breeze before being whisked away by the calmer night. Although she didn't know this man very well, she couldn't help but like him. He didn't really show emotion on his features, and the way he spoke seemed to the point. He didn't seem to have much to say either, but that was okay, Myrrine didn't mind silence.

She had grown accustomed to it with her beloved Cerin at her side, the muted boy that stole her heart before she even realized it. At the thought of the silver yearling her smile changed to a softer one, filled with warmth and love as she remembered their day at the Throat. The tender touch of his lips when he had put the flowers in her hair, and the way his green eyes met hers with all the emotion in the world. Without her even noticing, her wings slightly fluttered, not enough to close them, but a gentle quiver in response to her emotions. Her eyes had glazed over as she stared out into the endless blue, and it was quite obvious she was daydreaming. She momentarily forgot about her night time company, for she was lost in the world of her memories, the times her and Cerin shared and the happiness she felt when she was with him. She was like a love struck teenager, thinking only of her childhood crush and thus not thinking clearly about anything else happening around her.

"Speech"

OOC: Changed the table cause <3 BTW, if you don't want to be tagged let me know.
WC: 872

MYRRINE
Either I will find a way, or I will make one

Ascended Helovian

[ lovely new table ^^ but maybe you could just use a regular font (like times) with no alteration to line-height and letter-spacing when threading with me..? I have a really hard time reading this one :( andddd there's no need to tag me ^^ 2nd and: warning, massive(ly) weird post incoming o_o ]

Companions—bah.

Neither of them had been his choice to make, and to be honest, both of them were selfish assholes who cared for no one but themselves, and the other two souls unfortunate enough to be bonded to them. Irma had broken more than a few equine hearts with her frigid eyes and uncaring ways (though, really, why should she roll and revel in the doting of a stranger just because she wasn't a horse?), and he suspected Diego would break more than his share, too. As it was, the owl stared at the filly with his flaming eyes, and Mauja wondered if it was as visible upon the bird's features as it was in his soul, that rank, hot flame of smug arrogance. Did he just look disinterested, or was it written all over his face that he didn't care?

Mauja didn't know, but he suspected the former, and couldn't be bothered to turn his head to look upon the owl. Besides, what if he did look like he'd just watched something about as outlandish as a slave asking for the princess' hand.. and what would he do about it? Lecture him? Hardly; the owl had no obligations towards anyone, and no reason to "behave". He could stare daggers at anyone for all that Mauja cared. In fact, it was his right to be a little bit of an ass if he wanted to. He didn't exist for shits and giggles, or to be some cute puffy bird. He was an owl, proud and regal and dangerous (except to horses), his sharp talons cleaned of blood but the mind remembering what it felt like to sink them into soft, warm flesh, and feel life squirm in its death-grip.

So her happy greeting of the arrogant owl was like pearls before the swine, wasted on a bird that saw her as nothing more than a temporary source of amusement. Still, it surprised him to feel a thrill of warmth—Diego, then, was more vain than Irma. Interesting.

But then it wasn't about the owl anymore, though he felt the bird's lingering amusement that (shit, was there nothing that creature didn't find funny?) Mauja had spent such a great deal of time thinking about him, but rather it was about them, the only two present who spoke the same tongue. She called him sir and he cringed within. He was no sir, he was just a bloody Mauja, which was synonymous with things like "dethroned king", "idiot", "bitter fool" and other such things that surely everyone wanted to be—not. But the girl went on—fortunately skipping the sir this time—and he peered at her as she spoke. Now, his experience with people her age was fairly minimal, but the first thing that struck him was her language. She spoke like someone years her own senior, or like she'd been raised in a very formal court, or as someone of high blood, or.. or.. whatever. Everyone-and-their-cousin was some kind of renegade noble in Helovia. So she was a princess whose parents fell out of favor or died of the pox or were burnt alive for consorting with demons or maybe her father shagged a doe (or a stag? who was he to force the "norm" upon anyone), or whatever, but she was an out-of-fashion princess and he was a King made noble only by a brief spat as ruler in Helovia (of two of its kingdoms, no less). So.. a failed King. An out-of-fashion princess and a failed two-time king.

The point?

Who gives a fuck about that.

No, wait—the point was that she had a very serious, very mature language.

The other thing that struck him was what she'd actually said. I'm so glad you do. It.. sounded part "this is what I say to be nice", but more than that, it sounded genuine, and almost like relief. Like, what had she expected? To introduce herself, all bubbling and happy, and two weeks later be forgotten? Even though he wanted to laugh at it, beneath its surface yawned a huge, huge black void.

Did she live life like that? Expecting to be forgotten?

Maybe that was what had happened in his distant fairytale kingdom—the King had forgotten he had that particular princess, and she'd been left to fade away in darkness, away from the sun and stars. Except.. she had broken out, somehow, or just said fuck it and taken those wings to the sky and gone to find her own future. A slight frown creased his forehead. She actually seemed too young to be capable of having the "fuck it" mindset—you sorta needed to know that what was going on was wrong in order to give it the finger and leave.. and if you're that young, you still sort of just accept everything as being right, even when your gut tells you its wrong, because.. because.. you place so much damn trust in those who are older—your parents—mentors—those who abuse you and your trust, either knowingly or not, and..

Okay, so she hadn't just said "fuck it" and left. In fact, she probably wasn't a princess at all, so his mind should just shut up and go back to the present.

He realized he'd been so lost in thought that he hadn't said anything, but the moment she spread her wings the movement jolted him back from his daydreams of distant lands and potential escape-from-being-forgotten scenarios for this Myrrine. (It was an exotic name.) Shut up.

She spread them in the darkness, and the white soaked up the ocean's blue glow eagerly—they were bulky, and striped, and sort of odd, and didn't flare towards the horizons with the same sweeping grace as a bird's wings did.. but, ah. "Butterfly," he murmured as his mind finally recognized their shape. Of course. They were neither stunted nor broken nor misshapen—just different from a bird's.

Feathers be superior.
Thank you for your input, asshole owl.

But she spoke again and his mind was already freewheeling, free falling, going numb with the rush of air around it. It had been in the back of his mind when he had spoken—spread your wings for me—as if he'd been asking her to do something bad, something wrong, because it was just one word off from something else.. and it had been there on his tongue, not because he wanted to say it, gods no, but because he could say it. But he hadn't, but he'd been thinking about how similar the sentences would've been, and just how wrong, and her reaction didn't make it better. Come closer, touch them, and he wanted to scream at her to get the hell away from me

He didn't want to do anything to her. He had no fucked-up plans or even any desire whatsoever to commit whatever sin it was his mind toyed with. It was theoretical. It was the notion of the possibility. It was the curiosity of how far he could push her, the worry what had happened to her to put her in such a trusting, inviting state of mind (had they done something to her to normalize invasive touch? or.. or..), the.. well.. part of him wanted to tell her to close her eyes and stand still and beat her just to see if she'd let him.

Wondered if he could touch her and pass it off as a "new experience".

Theoretically. And that was the annoying thing: the very idea of it repulsed him so violently he could've bounced to the moon, but as a theory it was intriguing and.. well, disastrous. But he couldn't stop thinking about it.

He realized his mouth had gone dry and he'd zoned out with his soft muzzle resting against her nearest wing. It was strange to the touch, different (exotic shut up she's not a princess), sort of ticklish, and he peered sideways at her. She seemed just as lost in thought as he had been, or maybe even more, wings fluttering dreamily as her eyes gazed inward, at memory, things only she knew.

It was a damn good thing she didn't know what had been going on in his mind, because frankly, it bothered him—it bothered him because it was tempting to see if she could draw any lines at all and tell him "no" or if her need for validation—remembrance—went deeper than her sense of self-preservation.

Politely he withdrew his head, knowing that he couldn't just turn around and leave her quietly, because the movement was sure to bring her out of her thoughts. Motion, when caught by the eye, had a way of doing that. So he was stuck on the beach with her, his reeling mind sniffing at doors it had no business opening. So he hounded it back a few steps, away from the land of don'tgothere and back to the land of out-of-fashion princesses.

"So..." he said after a moment, a decidedly awkward lilt to his light voice. "What's your story?"

Because a, he was curious and b, she was young so it couldn't be that long and c, it was a damn better way of validating her existence than all those other things he could do.

[ lmfao okay so it's official I have no idea what the hell happened in this post xD @[Myrrine], and I just want to put extra pressure on the fact that nowhere does he WANT to do things to her in that manner, it just struck him as a "would she accept it if I asked this of her too" :x also there is no need to mirror the length of this (there never is a need to mirror length when you post with me ^^) ]

Watermel0nBob

She trusted him. Not only because she always tried to see the good in others, but because there had been a reason he had been allowed into her herd. Unbeknownst to her it had been because he was imprisoned, but if Queen Kahlua had thought him such a threat, he would have been locked away in a cell, a guard constantly on watch as shackles clasped his ankles. Although she hadn't met the other two royalties as of yet, she figured they had felt the same way. He wouldn't have been free to wander the herd if he posed such a threat, and thus that is what made Myrrine see him as friend, not foe. Besides, she had no idea that the Frostheart was not even a part of the Edge. She hadn't lived there long enough to know everyone just yet.

The tickle of his velvet maw sent shivers down her spine, causing her to escape her inner thoughts and to giggle, pulling away playfully just as he did and looking at him with those soft hazel orbs," They're rather ticklish too. Though I'm sure it wasn't your intention to tickle me." The grin never faded, only widening and revealing a bright glean in her gaze. She was drawn to him, the way he so effortlessly tucked his emotions away into his mind, and how nonchalant each movement was made. At the same time, it seemed like it was stiff, as if he were merely going through the motions. What made him choose to go on auto pilot rather than be himself? Did he not know who he was enough to let him shine through, or was it something much deeper than that; did he not want to? Was there an underlying hate he held within himself that made him feel that if he revealed who he was, everyone would hate him? She didn't know how many lives he killed, or that he was once a racist ruler, all she knew was this man, standing before her with nothing to show on his spotted complexion.

His comment from before finally registered in her mind, and she smiled politely, nodding and looking back briefly at the appendages. As she did so they fluttered gently, a salty breeze whipping against them and her as she turned herself back to face him,"Yes, I believe that's what they are. I think they're a type of swallowtail, but I don't know which kind. I haven't seen many butterflies here, or with mother." Oh mother, how she missed her. She tried to shut out the pain that crossed her expression, but she had failed, leaving a slight frown on her features and a deep sadness in her eyes. She shook her head briefly, as if physically shaking away the pain would solve anything, before looking up again with a bright smile, although it wasn't nearly as cheery as before.

She had mourned over her loss of the adopted dam awhile ago, it being easier with Cerin at her side. She had been a disastrous mess of emotions when they had crossed paths, a weak and fragile soul ready to shatter into nothing. She had been honest with Kahlua when she had said she thought fate had sent her here, away from the only thing that loved her, but it didn't take away the hurt she felt inside. It didn't take away the dreams she'd be in with her mother, only to wake up on the cold ground with no one at her side. Nothing could have prepared her for the loss she had felt when she got sucked through that portal only to realize her only family would never be with her again. She hadn't known what it had felt like to see her father vanish, because he had never even been there. Although she had been confused when her mother birthed her, named her and then left her to die, she hadn't established enough of a bond with the woman who blessed her with her spotted coat. She had been nothing but a memory to her, but Mother had been everything.

She had choked back the pain and tears, had kept a smile because she wouldn't dare let anyone else feel the pain she had felt. There was always going to be pain in the world, hatred and disarray, but she would never let herself contribute in the chaos that was how the world worked. She would fight it, give everyone the benefit of the doubt and offer them only love, because even those with the darkest hearts, still deserved even that. Dark lashes fluttered lazily as she tried to shut away the feelings that suddenly assaulted her, and she could only close her eyes briefly in an attempt to hold back any tears. Sighing deeply, her small chest expanding to the brim before releasing the air and tension within her, she heard his awkward question. Looking back at him she was suddenly attentive, trying to read his gaze and who he was with what little he offered.

How did he do it so well? Was it just practice or was it a gift that had been cursed upon him. Her gaze studied him over calmly, quietly thinking how it all worked for him, before remembering he had asked a question. It was intriguing still, his composure, she would have to pry him on that at a later date. Pausing she suddenly realized, why not ask him now? He had asked her a question first, surely he would think it fair that she ask one in return. A deep hum vibrated in her through in thought, head tilting to and fro for only a moment before a decision had been made. Looking into those stunning blue eyes she smiled once again, soft yet cheery lilt breaking the long silence,"I will tell you, but I would like to have you answer a question for me as well, if that's alright."

The air settled between them, she was expecting an answer from him before she began. Although she didn't find that to be rather fair either, maybe he didn't want to reveal anything about himself just yet. It would be rude on her part to try and push such limits on him, to force him to say what he didn't want to just because she had answered his question. Granted, she couldn't really force him to do anything, he was much larger than she, and most likely had a lot of fighting experience, key evidence being the scars that riddled his hide. She frowned at them upon suddenly seeing them, eyes scanning his marred coat before taking a tentative step forward, attempting to nose one against his shoulder. Would he object? Would he pull away and snarl in disgust because she had wanted to figure him out? Would he do something worse than just pull away? These thoughts hadn't been in her mind when she had began, but now that they were there she hesitated, nose inches from his skin and the air from her nares breathing delicately in his direction.

After a moment tiny crown pulled away, black maw pressing to her neck as she simply looked at him apologetically, before finally speaking her story:

"I was born in a different world than Helovia. I don't know what it's called, I never thought to ask, all I knew it as was a place where I lived. I was born when the leaves turned different colors, and my mother had named me. Myrrine she called me, for reasons I don't know, and before I could ask she turned away and left. I never saw her again. I didn't know what was happening, I still don't really know because it's a little fuzzy, but I remember a grey mare coming around after a day or two of me lying there, waiting for her. She was kind to me, she couldn't speak because she was mute, but her eyes held so much love when she didn't even know me. She took me in and nursed me, I began to call her Mother."

Taking in a deep breath she paused, looking to for any reaction from him, waiting for anything he had to say, before finally continuing," Our life was a simplistic one. She taught me how to play and have fun, and although it was just us, she made every day something wonderful. It was hard communicating sometimes, because she was also deaf, but I still loved her. She was there for me when no one else was. She would write things to me that she really wanted me to know, and that was hard learning too, but she was a good teacher. She always told me to remember who I was, and to love myself no matter what. Even so, I knew that she didn't love herself. I was playing one day-" Now that the memories were coming back they suddenly hurt. It all hurt so much and she couldn't stop the tears and the sniffling and the pain in her chest. She tried to push on but a sob would escape her lips, causing her to look away shamefully, to press her mouth to her neck in an attempt to muffle her cries. She hadn't meant for this to happen, to suddenly be spilling her life story to someone who probably didn't care, and yet here she was, crying softly and opening her old wounds to someone she had only met just before. He was not the only fool here anymore.

"Speech"

OOC:
WC: 1597

MYRRINE
Life's too short to live simply

Ascended Helovian

[ sorry for the wait <3 ]

And who is he to say she had validation issues, anyway? It was just a haphazard guess flung into the vortex between them, a plausible conclusion spawned from an over-active mind, analysis made between the lines—the lines of something that might've been nothing, except there was darkness in her. For a brief moment all the sorrow in the world took up residence in her young eyes, clouding and darkening, and he felt something in his heart.

It was that voice again, singing its dark song, the one Elding had taught him—

Death, death, death...

The song that was nothing but pain; the memory of it, the fear of it, the certainty of it. Pain would always follow, would always find. It was inevitable, and the way of the world, like an old friend coming to greet you with its sharp little knives. They slid so easily through skin, through bones, needles slipping through veins as they hunted hearts.

He knew what it felt like, when your eyes became like that, heart haunted by those memories. He knew it and the little stab going through his own was part memory, part sympathy. She was even younger than he had been when he first learned just how much it hurt to lose.

Would it set her on the same path that he had walked? The one of calloused hearts and locked-up emotions, of drowning in seas of guilt, and eventually being washed up on a bone-white, desolate shore, and finding yourself a husk—hollow, and uncaring? Would she have to walk the same road of fear, the inability to let someone in, and the long years of attempting to undo the soul-knots time had pulled tighter and tighter?

Would she, too, lack the courage to love?

Kah—

And nothing he said would bring—

Fuck, he wanted to spit it into the sand, to yell, to rush the spotted little girl and hold her close and breathe on her until her heart was warm and all the pain was gone, until she fucking forgot the sadness that had, for the merest moment, swallowed her world.

And it had been so brief, just a flash of it, and if he hadn't been looking at her he wouldn't have known, and if he hadn't known.. Would it have mattered? What would he have done? What could he do, anyway? He knew the truth of things; whatever she had lost, whoever she had lost, were lost, and nothing could bring them back. Life took and when it spat you out again it was in this godforsaken land, and he wondered who were the strongest: those who stayed, or those who left?

He felt weak, out of breath, but he hadn't done anything except remember a few things, old memories, newer memories, snatches of conversation and thought, emotion coursing through his veins and crippling him. It was a certain kind of poison, sweet and hot and numbing all at once, fear and hope and everything—trepidation. He knew something—one thing—in that moment, and he wondered for how long would remember.. when he would forget.. if he would forget...

"I will tell you, but I would like to have you answer a question for me as well, if that's alright."

He couldn't manage a single word in response, throat locked up as tightly as his heart (it was trembling in his chest, kept safe by ribs and shields of ice). Just nodded mutely, barely even registering her.. statement? Question? He'd have to answer something. So what? In that moment he had the answers to every question the stars could've asked of him, but for the love of everything he couldn't—didn't dare—to formulate the thought. Just breathed, evenly, deeply, peering at the girl with crystalline eyes, revealing nothing but attentive curiosity.

Nothing of the storm raging beneath his pristine skin.

She moved, then, at first thoughtlessly, reaching out a black muzzle towards a spotted shoulder—his head canted to one side, all those things still making his heart race in his throat (he was glad it had buried those other thoughts), but something gave her pause. He felt her hot breath against his skin, against some scar left by a long-forgotten enemy (they probably didn't deserve what he'd done to them, life-thief)—blood racing, world spinning, and for a moment he had the impulse to throw himself at her, just to close the gap and feel something tangible, solid, real.

But he didn't. He just stood there, looking at her from behind the white veil of his forelock, breathing, breathing, breathing, pulse yelling death and love with a single voice. And then she was pulling back, as if something about his body had frightened her, as if the shield around his mind could be felt, or the ice in his veins an aura, something to make her pause, and finally, not dare.

It took effort to rein his thoughts in, to catch hold of his mind again—it had slipped away, out of control, out of reach, having forsaken its musings on princesses and kings and the theories of validation for something that revolved entirely around him.. and that messed-up thing suspended in his chest.

I think they call it a heart.

She was speaking. He had asked, so he had to listen, to fight down the nauseating fear, push himself out of his own mind.. find that space, those vast, empty caverns of crystal and ice and focus. His eyes closed for the briefest of moments, black-rimmed ears flickering, ".. taught me how to play and have fun, and although it was just us, she made every day something wonderful...", and something in him was finally letting go of that weakening, sickening sensation. Breathing became easier, without him having to pretend that it was. "I was playing one day-"

And then she was crying, a soft sound as if her tears were scalding hot with shame. It came so abruptly it took him a moment to register, to realize, to understand. She had been abandoned at birth, taken in by a deaf-mute nag, and then—lost her, to something, to the world or to death or.. his mind looped back a few steps. Validation. Could a wound from the first day of her life have left such a deep scar? Could it be that he was, in a way, right?

She had turned her head away, tucked her head, and a slight frown creased his 'brows. It was not easy to cry, less so in front of others, but he knew what it had done to Elding—purged her wound. Were these dignified tears a precursor to that? Did she turn away because she did not want him to see, because she wanted them ignored, or because she wasn't sure she could entrust him with them? After all, she knew nothing of him, and if she did, would she even dare stand so close? He might've washed himself clean of blood but he would never forget its scent, its heat upon his snowy skin...

Silently he reached out, soft muzzle aiming to brush over her neck, to offer what comfort he could—which was not much. He was Mauja, frostheart and ice king, sitting all alone upon his frozen throne in a cold, empty fortress as the sun rose outside and fell on high walls and barred windows.

But old wood grows winded and cracked, and maybe, just maybe, there's a thin sliver of sunlight falling through those warped passages and touching the stone floor of his soul.

And so, maybe, he's Mauja—

—the Light of Dawn—

—and he gives what he can, which isn't much, but it's giving all the same.

[ @[Myrrine] ]

Watermel0nBob

He had given only a brief, mute nod to her request, before looking at her with the utmost curiosity. Had his curiosity been quelled when she had spilled out her entire life story upon them in the cool sand, laid her soul out before him in an attempt to simply give someone trust, to show that she truly had nothing to hide? Perhaps that was why she had been so unafraid to tell him anything; to prove that she could be trusted. She never felt the need to hide her past from anyone, it was a story that others could either learn from or relate to, and she often used it so she could bond closer to others with a common understanding. If only that common understand had been anything but pain. The tears kept falling and they wouldn't stop, she no longer tried and only turned to watch expectantly, waiting for his reaction. Everyone took to her so differently it seemed, good or bad she wasn't sure, but in her experiences with those of Helovia, in one way or another she had connected to someone, even through the smallest of things.

He was putting his maw against her neck then, causing her to jump suddenly in surprise. The man who seemed so aloof and disconcerted about anything deeper than conversation was now attempting to close the gap, to bring her comfort in his own way, and it sent something through her. Turning hazel eyes to him, wide with tears still hanging delicately along the edges she blinked, before slowly bringing herself into his chest. She was tentative at first; unsure if this was what he had intended for, or if he had simply wanted to comfort her with distant caresses, so as not to bring her close. She would try though, to let him know that she did in fact trust him, only hoping that he would trust her in return. Despite all the pain that oozed from her being, she couldn't stop speaking, even if he had asked her to. He had asked for her story, and so she must finish it.

"I was playing one day," she began again, this time much more calmly than before, the tears beginning to ebb but the sorrow still evident in her tone," Mother had told me not to run too far, but the squirrel I had been playing with was running further away and I just had to catch him." She paused and let a wistful smile escape her, for such a need was frivolous now in this moment; this lifetime," I went after it into the woods and eventually lost sight of Mother. I knew I would find her again, and kept going until I lost the squirrel. Since I was already in the woods, I figured I would search for some herbs for us to use. I had gathered a few when suddenly... there was a bright light. Fascinated I went to go see what the cause of it was; only to find a beautiful pool of water." The moment was crystal clear in her mind, as if she were experiencing it right then, the way her eyes had shown in excitement and curiosity, and how she had longed to delve inside the bright waters to see the other side.

She hadn't known there would be consequences, that once she went in she would never be allowed to come back. She would have never gone down there in the first place if she knew then what she had known now, because then she would have Mother. She would have had her tender blue eyes staring at her lovingly as she grew up at her side, she would have had someone warm next to her every night when she slept. Nightmares would no longer mean anything, as Mother would brush them away with tender kisses and doting, soft nickers. Her world would be a much simpler one, with no companions or magic or pretty butterfly wings. It would just be her and Mother; forever. Blinking back additional tears she sighed, looking up at the spotted brute with a kind, genuine smile, the sadness in her gaze still present, but no longer as intense as before. She stepped back softly, kindly, so as to let him know that she meant nothing by it, simply wanted to look at him when she concluded her tale.

" I was a silly little child, like all foals my age are. I walked in to see what would happen, and suddenly I was in Helovia. Not only that-" she turned her head to gaze at her slightly parted wings, fluttering them again before looking back at him," I had gotten some new appendages. It had been... surprising to say the least when I first came here, but I just knew that there was magic in this land and that was the cause of it. So ... I suppose that is my tale. Are there any other questions you have me before I ask mine?"

She waited with a pleasant smile, no longer joyful, but simply there for the sake of being there as she had been taught to do. Even in her sad moments, manners were still important, and no one enjoyed looking at a sad child when they talked to them. So she kept still, nodding her head and listening to his questions, answering them when he was finished before finally moving on to hers. With a soft giggle she stepped forward, looking a little closer at his face with her own muzzle outreached, as if it would help her inspect him more. The spots on his face, his brilliantly blue eyes, and the faint glow from his horn mostly likely gave him an eerie look, but to her it was simply fascinating. She let her gaze wander every crevice in his bone structure, took note of where his skin pulled taut and where it had grown loose with age. She drank in every little detail of that plain expression of his, the one that hid emotions so flawlessly, before finally speaking in a softer, curious tone," Why do you hide yourself behind such an emotionless expression?"

"Speech"

OOC: If you feel that I was incorrect of my "inspection" of him through Myrrine let me know and I can nix it or change it, I tried to make it vague so as to leave you room to interpret where she was looking etc. If it's not a big deal cool, but I thought I would at least let you know should you have any issues xD. Also, feel free to touch her (not in that way but ya know, no need to be concerned whether or not it's okay lol)
WC: 1040

MYRRINE

Ascended Helovian

What is he?

Lover, father, friend and foe, protector and guardian, sentinel, ice revenant, frost-wraith and snowbeast, the one who shrieks in the northern wind—he is everything, and yet, he is none of those things. Because he is Mauja, a torn soul, a thousand shades of blue, described by a million different traits but restricted, bound, by none. He has capacity for great love, but also for great cruelty. He is both the lord and the one who listens—the one who leads, and the one who follows. So it doesn't matter what they ask; who are you? What are you? Because he is not a single thing. There is no one thing he can pick out as defining him more than any other. The only thing he is, is himself, as vast as the glaciers but hiding a Wolf-Rayet heart beneath.

Somehow, he's gone from being lost and confused to being the one who puts the pieces back together.

She wasn't old enough to have been struck into a myriad of fragments yet. She wasn't old enough to be a cracked artwork the likes of he, a glass statue struck time and again, old and weathered and worn—some features smoothed out, jagged edges where bits had fallen out slowly filed down again by rain and sand blown about. She was still young. She was still relatively whole.

But isn't it in breaking that we become unique? Isn't it in how we handle pain that we grow? If all was joy—if all was perfect—if everything was whole and happy and you had never known the soul-wrenching pain that devoured everything and stranded you in the most absolute of darknesses .. how would you know what you had? Mauja had seen complacent princes (and princesses), spoiled and bored with their safe, royal lives. He had seen some of them turn to torment for sport.

He had seen some of them brought low and made human again.
He had seen them learn to cry out of fear and pain.

And somewhere along the road he had realized that you needed pain as much as you needed joy, because without one the other could not wholly exist.

It's just when your soul has grown tired that you fear the pain. And that's when you lose sight of life.

His sun had been clouded over long ago.

But that's not what this is about.

There was a limit to how many broken pieces his soft, velvet nose could shunt back into place. There was a limit in how much of the pain of others he could carry on his shoulders, no matter how briefly. And that was why he was, in a way, grateful that she was so young, that her pains numbered so few, that her bruises were new yet and, hopefully, slowly healing—that she wasn't so full of jagged edges he would cut himself on by accident.

But gods he didn't need her inflaming his mind with thoughts again. It sprang up like a fire, something hot and harsh and biting, snapping at his face with flame-fangs and a long, forked tongue whipping out to strike him between the eyes. She was pressing into his chest, a memory that tasted of Glacia and how she had broken her own walls down, a moment that tasted too much of what he had thought of before—of all the things he could do to her.

Though maybe it isn't about what you think, either—maybe it's about what you do with it.. with what you know, what your thoughts are. Which impulses you act upon, and which ones you don't.

He'd certainly been hugging a lot of little girls lately.

Ew. He wanted to spit the thought out and fill his mouth with sand to wash it clean. What was wrong with his head sometimes?

"I was playing one day," the story went on, his head having fallen down her neck to her withers, the strength of his neck holding her, but lightly, not wanting to trap her in an embrace he was strong enough to hold but she maybe wasn't strong enough to break out of. The sound of her crying had gone softer, her voice a little thicker, and just like how he knew that pain was vital, he knew that it hurt—that every loss marked you in a way, altering you. It was the way of the world. You never went to sleep the same man that you woke up as.

She spoke of squirrels and pools of water, before finally moving back, slipping out of his grasp like liquid—and he let her go, remembering a dream in which he had lain in water, crawling out of it only to find.. her.

And they had raced the world's ending; she, as lithe and graceful as a doe, and he, the destruction raining stars and tearing the heavens open in her wake.

Promises shared in the darkness of a cave, red roses blooming and gilt light spilling out of the cracks in his body.

The End.

He knew what he knew, but it did not mean it had to hurt any less.

"So ... I suppose that is my tale." He nodded, slowly, mutely again, something distant drawn across his blue eyes—his mind was rambling, for a moment struck by the thought that he, too, needed to find a brilliant pool of water and fall into and climb out of it with wings

But he startled the thought away, watched it disappear like a flock of birds taking sudden flight. It was not what he was here to think of, that other, unasked question lying on the tip of his tongue, wanting out, whispering in his heart the words he dared not speak—what is it like, to fly?—but he swallowed it, merely shaking his head. He had no more question for her, because the one he had was one he dared not ask. So he buried it, next to all the other little secrets he carried within him.

And then—and only then—did it creep up on him, what he had agreed to, the bargain he had struck with her.. her secrets, for a secret of his.

He was Mauja—he was the one who said nothing of himself, the one who gave nothing more away than little smiles and guarded glances, the one who offered nothing of his thoughts and secrets.

The only time he had spoken of himself had been to a sleeping youngster, in a language she did not know.

His heart is racing in his chest, now, trying to outpace the inevitable. Her gaze was roaming, and was that hunger in it, or just his own fear reflecting in the darkness? And how long was it that she looked, making it feel like an eternity, the cracks growing wider under her scrutiny—spit out already, spit it out, and he wasn't afraid of her—he was afraid of where she wanted him to go. He was afraid of his own introspection.

He was afraid of the pain.

"Why do you hide yourself behind such an emotionless expression?"

He wasn't surprised. Or, in a way he was, because ever since he had learned to mask what he felt with nothing but calm, quiet curiosity, no one had bothered to ask him why he bore his emotions with such precise control. But at the same time, there by the gently glowing sea, he wasn't surprised it was the one thing she caught on to, and held on to. Perhaps that was his greatest mystery to her, she who wore her heart on her sleeve and smiled so brightly.

But what do you say to answer such a question? Habit? But it wasn't—it was slipping anyway, wasn't it? He'd been weeping like a madman for months, unable to stop it, unable to control it, and he had known rage like he never had before, confusion, loss, had worn some of it so openly that surely he wouldn't have recognized himself if he'd been able to review the scene...

"Armor," he finally said, quietly, the first thing he had said in a while. His voice was low, and his gaze slipped out to the dark, distant horizon.

And then he said no more.

[ his horn actually doesn't glow, which is about the only thing that struck me ^^ aaand the dream I talked about is from this thread; the lanterns won't go out at night @[Myrrine] also what the fuck why do these posts end up so derpily huge?! ]

Watermel0nBob

He accepted her immediately, strong neck curling around her shoulders and blanketing her in his own speckled warmth. It was comforting in its own way, he didn't need to whisper soothing words into her ears, didn't need to tenderly stroke her cheek and lull her into a sense of security. He just had to be there, and that's what he was doing. As easily as he had taken her, he had easily let her go, letting her be free of his grasp and simply watched with his smoldering eyes as she concluded her tragic tale. He hadn't moved when she had studied him, only kept his gaze firmly on her as she bid her time and took all of him, as he was, in.

He took his time answering, and Myrrine remained ever patient in her waiting, looking at him with those expectant eyes, that kind smile never once wavering. Indeed she was the girl who so easily wore her heart on her sleeve, that smiled that anyone and anything that gave her reason to; but was she the blessed or cursed on in this equation? Had she asked because she truly did want to learn how he did it, so that she too could master the art of masking her soul behind thick walls? What made that one trait about him the first thing that came to her mind? Maybe she would never know, or perhaps it would be the first thing she would realize the more she interacted with the spotted brute. She couldn't help but feel a comfort even just in the fact that they had the same markings. Though they were not identical, many could have easily assumed that she were the result of him and a beautiful winged mare; that she was another child of this so-called wicked man before her.

She didn't know if she liked the thought of that or not. Fathers were something every child had, whether they had seen them or not, but would it be good for her to seek such a role in him? Would he even want to take on the role? She easily could have kept him this long simply because he pitied her, who she was and how she came about here; and not because he actually had enjoyed at least some of her company. Maybe she was nothing but another sad project that he felt the need to right again, and not a lonely girl who was just in need of a friend. Someone who could look past her sad life and see that she really was trying to live again, trying to gather up her shattered soul and put it back together piece by piece. Perhaps she was stupid for hoping for something like that after all.

"Armor"

The quiet response jolted her from her musings and caused her to watch him again, how he so easily turned himself to look out into the ocean and fall silent once again. He was a man of few words, something she would never be, and she didn't know if that would help or hinder her in the long run. With her early thinkings cast aside for the moment she walked to his side, joining him in gazing out as far as the eye could see. Wings upon her back fluttered delicately, pulsing with her heartbeat as she let his simplistic answer sink in. Except it wasn't all that simple was it? Armor was meant to protect, to shield others from pain that was unneeded. What did he need protection from? What had driven him into his fortress of walls and led him to eagerly lock the doors and throw away the key? Everyone had their monsters they had to battle, ones that always came around eventually for them to finally face. Had he found his monster yet?

It made her wonder what hers was. Breaking away from the view she turned to look at him again, calmly, silently to simply take in him once again and what he was. Even though she had been doing nothing but studying him and trying to delve into the inner workings of his mind, she found that she had only turned up empty-handed, and maybe that was for the better. Still, she liked him. He was a calming force that drew her in and lulled her, made her feel that there was no need to keep up with the rush of this planet when all she needed to do was take it slow; to let her mind take in things at a leisurely pace. He had become the calm to the constant storm in her mind, the one whirling in her mind filled with worry and regret. She always seemed to be worrying about others. Cerin, Vincent, and now him. The man without a name.

"I'm sorry for not asking earlier, but might I have the honor of knowing your name?" she breathed at last, her tone being swallowed up as soon as it was released by the gentle sound of the waves lapping the shore. She had breezed over his answer rather swiftly, not really addressing it or acknowledging it, but she was sure he probably didn't mind either. She didn't have much to say about it, as she knew nothing about protecting herself from anything but her own inner demons. Those seemed to be held at bay by the comfort of those that took the time to speak with her for more than a few minutes. She would cherish them, even if they didn't reciprocate the feelings, and they would always hold a special place in her heart. He had been added to the list tonight.

"Speech"

OOC:
WC: 948

MYRRINE

Ascended Helovian

[ I'm really sorry for the wait, love. ]

And it's time for me to clean up your mess,
I will take it without any regret
And it's time for me to open my eyes and to recognize
We don't beat from the same heart...

It's quiet, there by the ocean—a hushed song spun from the gentle rhythm of the sea, and the feather-soft whisper of wings shearing the sky. But the gulls, with their discordant voices, were silent. Perhaps the pearly glow off the waves held them as well in awed thrall. Perhaps something about it was holy to them, respected, something so absolutely divine to make more noise than your own heart was sacrilege. Because after all—what did he know about the faith of gulls?

It was quiet, because Mauja said little, and something about it seemed to lapse the girl into silence as well. After a moment, he glanced sideways at her. Where he came from, their color was a blessing, merging flawlessly with snow and rocks, breaking up the contour of their body and hiding them more thoroughly than anything else could (is that why I lived?). Here, though... Here, they were ghosts in the night-time, cruelly reflecting the glow of moon and stars—or, in the case of tonight, the sea. Its faint glow shimmered along their pale hairs, a dew-like light cast back at the water. Two ghosts, their voices more quiet than their hearts.

What was she thinking of? Was she thinking at all? Did.. did something about him invite these interludes of silence, did something about him spark these periods of introspection in others? Because come to think of it, time seemed to move more slowly around him, like the world froze, and slowed, until things simply crawled by.. at a pace where he could pick each moment up, scrutinize it, and then put it back down.

Control.

At last I know what I should do.. Undo my sad...

He swallowed. Each time he thought about it, it hurt; but each time he didn't think about it, it felt.. right. Not easy—never easy. Life was not easy. Life was full of hardship and difficult choices. Life was.. life was full of biting down and bulling through, and hoping that some day, you would be able to stop and breathe.. that your heart would be able to beat, without that hitch, the needle-sharp whisper coming just behind every pulse. Undo what hurts so bad...

"I'm sorry for not asking earlier, but might I have the honor of knowing your name?"

She was as quiet as the seas, just another shimmering wave rolling in, its breath an echo of the leviathan roars he had sometimes heard when the storms urged the waters to crash against the cliffs. The honor... Where was the honor in knowing his name? It was just a name, a specific noise to call for his attention—a name tag to put on all the shit he had done. It wasn't the name of retribution and redemption, not the name of an angel, just.. heck; his name wasn't even something that defined him. He could outrun his name any day, run away, change it, never again be Mauja and no one would know if they came looking.

He couldn't outrun his own spots, though. So names were useless, worthless, they held power only if you knew what that body had done while bearing the name. His sins were old and dusty, and many of them not known to Helovia—what would she know of any Mauja? Most had forgotten about him, if they had ever known.

"It is Mauja," he finally said, because that was what she asked—what his name was.

Not who he was.

And he was no one, and everything, and had borne more than a single name in his lifetime. He had had more identities than this, this birth-name, and this birth-name had been worn by more than one man. After a moment his gaze slid off the child, and back to the distant horizon. Names... Names and faith and doom and.. he thought for a moment of his brother. His name meant nothing at all, but he had the end of the world spelled out across his brindled flanks. Superstition forced him to remain in the north, though they both knew that he rather would've followed Mauja back ho—

—home..? Was this home? Helovia was the cesspool he'd lived in the past four or something years, but.. He glanced up to the Edge, its pale outline murky in the lacking light. Maybe, something up there was home. Maybe, someone up there.. was home.

"Does your name mean anything?" he asked, after another of those eon-like stretches of silence; asking it seemingly of the night, because his eyes were elsewhere, something distant and thoughtful drawn across his face. But then, after a moment, he turned them back to her, the innocent child who got tangled up with a tiger, the blue of them clearer, brighter—like stars.

[ @[Myrrine] ]