the Rift

[OPEN] Little ray of sunlight

Africa the Starry-Eyed Posts: 727
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16 :: 6 (Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Silas :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Riven

Silas, thoughts startled harshly, suddenly, pulled from slumber by a sting that put even the memory of her limb’s gruesome detachment to shame. SILA... She moaned heavily, voice choked by agony, lean legs stiffening impulsively as arcing nerves seized all control of her body through the length of the contraction.

I’ve... a knife through my... spi... - she grimaced crudely, skull rolling backwards, and flaming crest writhing like that of a stricken serpent.

It had become terribly difficult to heave up off the spongy nest of grass and leaves in recent days, and she more often stood to sleep consequentially, than lay. The evening before however, energy stores had been too low and before she had even become aware of the height of her weariness, weak knees had bent and her mass had crumbled down upon the bed. Now, her abdomen twisted repulsively, violently, as the knife’s stinging blade recoiled from her skin.

There is no blade, the zephyr answered his beloved’s distress worriedly, skipping into danger across agile legs to glance by the back of her rocking body for the slightest moment.

The air was sticky - humid and still - and sweat already stained her dappled canvas a murky black hue. It saturated heavily the wicker beneath, pooling slowly across the stone floor. Outside, the pale wash of moonlight allowed a comfortable ambience during the midnight hour, it was peaceful, quiet – save for the strained cries and frightened tears that spilled with more and more frequency from the mountain’s foot.

“Mid...!” trembling lips called anxiously, but the sound of her voice was smothered by another burst of excruciating pain – she wondered if the vertebrae in her spine were exploding, one and then another, and another, and cried out again desperately with clenched eyes and grinding teeth. Make it stop! she begged Silas, neck curling up involuntarily and forelegs straight (stiffer than pine). She heaved as hard as she could - pushing and groaning until cool-creamy irises were blotted red by bursting capillaries.

As the pain dulled briefly, Africa’s tortured body fell limp again across the bed. Find him... she panted breathlessly, too weary – too terrified - to move at all.

As the horrified zephyr scuttled to obey in a growing state of confusion, the next wave began to rise through the struggling mare’s core and she sobbed uncontrollably, biting down across the straw mix hard enough to spur new pain through her jaw line (it paled in comparison).

Image Credits

@[Midas] - & any others :P (maybe after the baby arrives so she keeps a little of her dignity)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

midas
LINES IN THE SAND
Shadowed by an overhang, I hold watch of the southern forest. Threshold is suspended in perfect silence, peacefully sleeping. Behind me is the constant white noise of thunder, a crashing giant that echo's endlessly. Our land fills to capacity, distant mountain runoff, coupled with a recent flood turned our shallow brooks into savage streams and unimpressive puddles into small ponds.

There was one sole benefit to a midnight patrol -- very rarely were there prying eyes upon these cliffs, (save for that of my companions) no one around to judge the weary haze that slowly took me as long hours passed at a snail pace. I don't bother stifling yawns when they came to spread my jaw apart and reveal moist ivory. Yon world was at ease; yet, these lids held themselves sternly open, refusing to shut, despite feeling weighted thrice as much.

Perhaps things weren't as docile as they might seem.

A shriek cracked the passive calm into a billion pieces, the sudden sound startles my flesh into a reactive tremble as a half awake brain became suddenly aware. I jerked round, peering to the south. Silas's lean avian frame rises, breasting the cliff. Those glossy feathers are momentarily shrouded in mist wafering from the tumbling bay.

Fire wakes from a notch in yon overhang. She shuffles to the brim, glaring at the ebony bird with the beginnings of a snarl rearing its ugly head.

His presence can only mean one thing...

______

Her taste is heavy upon the stagnant air. The very breeze is saturated with sweat, pain and fear. Memories of Shadow and her failed laboring bubble to the surface of my consciousness. I violently shove them away, and press for the den. There lies the dappled queen. Effort is dark upon her skin. "Africa," a quick swallow quells my sinking gut and ramped up heartbeat.

Thankfully the site is absent excess blood, a minor reassurance that thus far -- everything was progressing as nature intended. Without further pause my legs push me to her heaving side, muzzle drops to press against an exposed salty cheek, attempting to vainly to comfort agony. "Thee flesh will know what to do, heed instinct." Like most men, my knowledge of labor was limited.
image credit

Word count: 375
PP permission granted on both sides
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Deceased

Bathed in bright, glistening star-glow, Silas returned to his labouring beloved at the head of her stallion lover, pulling short just by the mouth of the cave’s entrance and alighting into to the overhanging bough of a shadowy tree. He watched from there apprehensively, dipping only into her screeching thoughts when the ache of confusion grew too much to bear.

Help arrived as her slim, sweat-slicken body was contorting to the demand of another contraction – they were coming quick and fast – and her throat bulged as she threw her throbbing skull back to view him vaguely. Midas... she barely whispered as the pressure building lulled briefly; robbed of both strength and air enough to beg. Bloodshot eyes were riddled with resignation, despair, though legs thrashed to life once more as she fought to escape relentless agony building once more through her bowel - to drive it down and away, thrust it from existence.

The sound of tenderness and the electrifying touch of his warmth against her frightened, fever-chilled skin, pulled Africa from the pit of anxiety and she realised none too soon what was happening. Blunt molars ground together harshly as knees and hocks alike tightened, and she fell silent; pushing with every inch of her being until all at once there was nothing – warmth spilling, pooling beneath her thigh, and surreal, euphoric weightlessness. Flaming neck slumped back to earth and the soft bedding received her skull gladly; her exhausted mind slipped into a moment’s quietude and slumber – but there was no sleep to be had.

There was a sudden murmur behind her, and yellow eyes were drawn swiftly to its source – a soggy figure sprawled across tireless, licking fire and with a stern flick she removed those black tendrils away. For the moment all thought of the standing stallion was lost and an insatiable urge to tend to the foal consumed her. Hooves united in bold ambition to lift Africa’s mass from the floor, and with unimaginable ease she rose and turned, lips drifting tentatively near. After only the first caress their child moved - lifted her tiny pale face – and with pumping nostrils she tasted her daughter’s scent greedily.

Without pause for reason, the new mother began vigorously to clean the foal’s skin, to warm her and all the while soft breath whispered dotingly about the frail babe’s form. She could not have explained the understanding that settled through her soul, the instinct which rose even above the cry of her own necessity. All focus was fixed solely upon her child, and only when the downy truth of the filly’s colour was revealed did Africa slow.

Ashen face turned finally, and eyes rose to find the fathomless golden gaze of her lover, and she stepped aside to welcome him forward if he wished then to come. No voice stirred from her throat, it was parched and each breath rasped en route to hungry lungs, but whiskers rose to meet him and a weary smile danced through her expression.

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

midas
LINES IN THE SAND
Wisdom was useless, words of comfort futile; which is all well and good, because they'd been pulled by an invisible string to the back of my throat anyways. Helpless to intervene, I only look on in anxious discomfort as Africa squirmed and writhed miserably. No matter my intention or well meant presence, this wasn't a journey a man could take. Nar, tis beyond our comprehension a woman's fevered trial of labor. We were tasked to stand as sentinels, onlookers and protectors. Regardless, I have trouble standing idle, my muzzle drifts across her flaming crown purposefully -- attempting to push aside the moist tendrils that may be hindering her vision.

The sun child's cries suddenly cease, all sound is trapped behind clinched teeth and their grinding effort. Straining. There are muffled sounds of struggle as her body heaved, fighting its own battle and knowingly winning. I'm tempted to glance up, my crown drifts higher with aim to peer into the shadows of this den; catch a glimpse of that musky figure who would lay soundless. Hidden behind thigh and beneath fire.

Africa relaxes, unchained from the snagging claws of pain which had momentarily seemed overpowering. A warm wash of concern and fresh anticipation forces my eyes and attention back to the exhausted mother, though I'm not given time to ask questions or offer comfort before a muffled noise teases heightened senses elsewhere. Bottomless gems flick up expectantly, but they are slow compared to the swift manner which Africa rises from the soggy bed of thatch. Seemingly forgetful of previous ache and exhaustion.

I tremble, reflexively almost shifting to follow. Yar, but age old wisdom holds my quivering knees to stay back, (for her protection and mine) the flesh understood old laws of generations past. Though inborn instinct schools me to wait, it doesn't stop me from curiously leaning to one side; attempting to clear the way so that I might watch my partner tend to the newborn with powerful affection and tenderness. A sight that should soften even icy hearts. Our child. My heart sped up, that same sickening doubt reared its head to bring a plague of memories from when Ktulu had delivered Ranjiri. How her gaze had shimmered with that same affection for our bond and that of the life we'd brought into this cruel world.

Her eyes turn to me, those flickering flames twist their astral glow against the far wall. I lean forward to meet the gentle taste of her breath, my eyes strike a wordless question -- to which the answer comes as a worn grin. Limbs unhook their rigid lock and shuffle my frame slowly forward. Treading as if my feet sat upon thin ice that would at any moment break from beneath me and send us all plummeting to a frigid end. Crown lowers with muzzle seeking plush downy hairs and dark warmth. Africa's essence still clings around and on our filly; yet, a distinguishing essence is strengthening. Was this my second chance then? A soft smile plays across features, this precious child has already won my heart.
image credit

Word count: 516
@[Africa]

Zahra Posts: 64
Outcast
Filly :: Pegasus :: 15hh :: 2 Years
Hanna :: Common Kitsune :: Fire & Ilham :: Bark Spider :: None Riven

You fall from the dark grip of oblivion quickly (the meditative pulse you love is lost in a split second), faster than your numb mind can comprehend – though earth-side welcomes your arrival with only warmth and tenderness. There is no chill to terrify your hot, sodden hide; you are well protected where you lay, by both the thrum of hearts united behind you, and the chiselled stone of the mountain’s core surrounding. You will feel not the pain of abandonment today, nor the callous hand of indifference, and emotion comes upon you as suddenly as a feather burns.

Though a chaos of sound overwhelms your slight ears, they are yet to understand to the truth of this world, you hear only the sigh of your mother’s gentle breath as it reaches to comfort you, and your fine features lift readily to meet her. Your pale-yellow eyes are blurry as they strain to find logic in the dazzling, dancing hue of firelight rising about her – you have seen nothing but blackness up until now, and your skin trembles nervously as you reach with quivering nostrils to try and touch it.

Fear is something unknown to you – sadness, grief, pain. Only amazement plays through your childish expression, incredulousness and trust. One ear swivels backwards, and then the other when touch ignites your skin, and tiny shoulders tremble beneath the power of her tongue’s determined caress. You are compelled to speak, but your throat still holds mucus enough to stunt all effort; instead a frail cough breaks apart your thin lips, tiny part-grown teeth, and you startle at the noise it generates. Your mother does not flinch, and her stability gives you strength. You find yourself leaning nearer, craving her notice.

She gives it to you freely and as her kind gaze meets your own, you try again to speak, but the looming horse turns away and for a moment your heart sinks - all so much faster than your lungs can draw vigour. You are needy, but that is to be expected, and she returns swiftly to reconnect. There is another figure drawing near, following her in, and you gaze at the dark contrast of his face beside hers and the golden scrawl upon it.

All too soon though you are feeling overwhelmed, turning shyly, tiredly, and you rest your fleshy chin against your shoulder as jaws part to yawn. The other’s musk is heavy and so different to your mothers and though you are not frightened, you pine for the exclusive scent of the mare – but you will learn soon enough of his relevance.

There is a feeling rising through your core however, and it is more ravenous than your fatigue. Hunger is something that forces the return of your innocent eyes, but you are drawn quickly back to the stallion’s black mask, your father, and you study him with pricked ears and sharp breath. There is softness about the lines of his face that intrigues you, but alas you are unable to resist the twinge of your empty stomach. As your abdomen rumbles inaudibly, one velvety, black ear strays down to listen, but you hear nothing of the vibration otherwise felt. Confused, you turn towards your mother at last, and a puny whine slips by your teeth.

Deceased

Besotted, naturally, Africa lingered with a low strung crest to view eagerly the interaction between father and child. Flame danced frivolously to cure the darkness all around them, deeper still beneath the rock, and it shed a warm, soothing glow; enigmatic, because the mild heat of the night grew no worse. She was glad for Tallsun’s blessing that night, if only because this beloved child was not born into biting cold wind-chill. The hot season had become only another reminder of the chain of past failings, and she looked forward longingly to the moment leaves began to dull on the trees; for now though, a new distraction had entered her life.

As the commotion inside the cavern lulled altogether, Silas peered down from his perch with a narrow, nervous eye. Still he dared not slip into the chaos of her thoughts – the pulse of her emotions through him was yet to ease, and for the first time fear ran ripe through his bloodstream. He guarded it from her cautiously, like even Fina might do, with a meal.

For a while the filly seemed to hold focus upon her father, but she turned sooner than Africa had expected; her brow creased and in concerned motion twitching mouth moved to brush the stallion’s obsidian cheek. She felt a devastating need to bind their relationship, to see affection season between them and secure it – such was the weight of her maternal drive and reeling hormones in the moment. But Midas seemed not to falter and moved to touch the soft, silky hair adorning the babe, and with baited breath the new mother watched.

Soon enough, their daughter’s childlike gaze returned to view him, and relief spread instantly through the one-winged mare’s being. There was no trace of the fear or reluctance anticipated; there, written upon her delicate, fine face was only innocence. So pure was the soul before them that Africa felt a surge of resolution sweep beneath her skin – there was nothing more important than her daughter, and for the child’s sake she would shed all reservation about the past.

A sound broke her thought.

She realised suddenly, that she had bristled defiantly – ashen facade lifted high – and rapidly sank again to tend to the foal. Lips nuzzled the downy hair between lazy ears, and they traced a path down the soft, cropped mane until she was within range again, of that sloping, winged shoulder. Lightly she nudged it, paused, and gently urged it again. Africa wanted the filly to rise, to perhaps drink if her strength allowed – if they dithered, surely she would only weaken further. Her understanding was unexplainable, certainly she had never felt so inclined to insist any other suckle, but milk streamed readily down the inside of her thighs, lighting a fragrant path that the foal would intuitively follow.

“She... she has two wings...” the dappled whispered softly to Midas, eyes filled to the brim with natural apprehension. Their daughter had moved to the mare’s warm flank and she preened dotingly the small tuft of hair available (it had been tucked snug between gangly hind legs previously).

Image Credits
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

midas
LINES IN THE SAND
Immense joy quivers in the back of my throat, it momentarily sinks to swell my chest with pride. I sought with every fiber of this being to hold our priceless moment of wordless affection in a timeless embrace. As all children, she is an untarnished soul. A lamb. Our selfless surrender had brought a lovely moral into this cruel world -- my selfish flesh had once again suckled the tempting lure of passion, and here lay its result.

Beautiful.

A soft exhale drifts past my lips as a sigh, a prayer; the warmth from the scented breath settles to mingle with those telling fragrances of birth and youth. I'm lost within those gilden rimmed gems; her studying eyes are wide, vulnerable as the naked spirit peered outward. She has me chained with invisible cords, (though there is no place I'd rather be) I'm unable to break away even when the child shifts for the second time to peer at the figurehead she'd come to call, Ma.

Her feeble cry makes its way across the quiet eve; that frail frame, so small and helpless, it strains out of instinct -- insistence and a raw desire that demanded swift answer. First milk would ensure survival. With scarcely time to glance over, Africa had already moved to tend to our cherub. Encouraging her to stand, suckle. I grinned and leaned over as the baby latched to her mother for the first of many feedings to come. My muzzle drifts to Africa, gently stroking her vulnerable neck and bodily pressing against the flaming silk.

A light chuckle fills the cavern in response to her evaluation, "Aye, praise Earth. No more, no less." Crown dips lower and beyond her shoulder, I pause below the unheated flames that lick a humid path along her spine. A bald spot sits alone with its pinkish scar glowing a faint silver in the dim light. I'm sure her memory of it sits forefront on more than one occasion, always a virus within the conscious mind. "Four legs," another warm laugh, richly deep, "Two eyes, two ears." Yar, very normal, "and her Ma's, eyes."

"What will we call her?"
image credit

Word count: 358
@[Africa]

Zahra Posts: 64
Outcast
Filly :: Pegasus :: 15hh :: 2 Years
Hanna :: Common Kitsune :: Fire & Ilham :: Bark Spider :: None Riven

As you rise from your bed, the warm-glow of your mother’s halo embraces you and guides you forward. Blood rushes from your head suddenly though and gravity tempts your weight back down. Though you resist, your strength is weak and long, gangly legs beneath you stagger as your small frame sways through the air – forward, teetering, plunging headlong. With a thud you collapse into the straw by the large hooves of the mare, and your eyes plead for reassurance as your damp face rises to find her. You whine softly, and her nose dips to caress you, to lure back your confidence so that you might try again. This time, she acts as a prop and you lean into her warmth until lax ligaments have stiffened enough.

Once you are standing, balanced and sure, your mother withdraws. Your tiny, quivering muzzle dances quickly after, but the movement threatens your stability and you freeze in place. Your eyes crawl ever so slowly over the black fleshy breast before you, there is a hump upon it and its shining silver surface reflects the comforting firelight – it is beautiful. Soon though you are distracted by that twist in your gut, and with legs splayed and tightened below, you crane your neck around; touching curious lips to the strange pimpled appendage slung by your side. It is not exactly where the hunger stems from (the rumbling and the pang), but you are interested nonetheless and stroke the rough prickles upon it with ears trained forward.

That murmur again and your attention lifts away.

Across knobbly, frail knees you stagger and quickly your reaching nose discovers the heat of your mother’s flank – your senses come alive with desire, fervour that you could not hope to defy. A sweet scent lures you in and slight skull dives through dim shadow; you nuzzle about clumsily, unsure just for what you are searching. At last you discover the source, slick upon her and warm as it leaks down your throat. You indulge with ravenous delight, tail twitching to the rhythm which evolves, and as your stomach fills a new weariness seeps through your mind. The hum of soft voices touches your ears, and you feel a lull sweep through you; part-naked wings sag further, ears nestle backwards. Quickly enough though, you are satisfied – the space within is small – and your tongue slips away beneath the curl of a dazed smile.

Warm words wander around you, yet they hold no meaning – they are a mere blanket as your legs fail and fold beneath, and you fall quickly with a thud. Though tiredness rises like a tide through your being, you fight a little longer, and listen with growing fondness, an ever expanding sense of security, to the tone resonating around you. Your mother’s breath followed your descent with maternal swiftness, and it hovers now over you; pausing as careful lips find your lashes to brush. ‘Zahra...’ you hear finally – right before sleep carries you away.

Permission given for all except death
Please only tag Zahra in openers and spars

Wishlist | The Spider-Silk Shoppe | Absences