the Rift

[PRIVATE] he drinks damnation

Volterra the Indomitable Posts: 785
Dragon's Throat Sultan atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17'2hh :: 3 HP: 80 | Buff: SENSE
Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow
@[Öde]

VOLTERRA
you will remember me for centuries
The crash of the waves pounds in rhythm with the massive colt's hooves as he launches himself at a steady canter along the beach. Muscles burn, tendons throb, sinews pull and tighten, breath comes in haggard gasps as he pushes himself to and past his limit. He will not rest now. Gone are the days when he would stop doing something simply because his body told him to. If he is to ascend to greatness, he needs to define these limits and shatter them, force himself past the edge of pain and into glory. Mother would not have it any other way; if his own motivation isn't enough to keep him going through his gruelling training regimes, then the threat of Confutatis' venom in his flesh certainly is.

Behind him, his crimson dragon caresses the air with flared wings to propel him after his bonded, serpentine tail thrashing behind him to guide his movements. Through their linked minds, Volterra can tell the ruby beast is exhausted, his muscles screaming for release as much as Volterra's are - Vérzés is still only a couple of weeks old, a baby, yet the black behemoth trains him as hard as Confutatis trains Volterra himself. Weakness will not be tolerated, and Vérzés knows it as much as his bonded does. He does not ask to stop, does not allow his pace to slow even as his wings beg for mercy and his lungs burn with his rapid inhalations of the bitter sea air. Colt and dragon run together, hard and fast, both exhausted and throbbing with agony but both fuelled by their own steely determination.

To make their task even harder, the howling wind blows against them, spattering their faces with sand and exerting their muscles even further with the effort of running against a force of nature. Rain and hail lash against them, the soaking sand sucking Volterra's heavy hooves into the ground and pulling on the firm muscles of his legs. But this is what he has been doing since he was a mere boy of a few days old; training, so he can become the living, breathing vision of perfection his parents are so keen to mould. He will be strong, and so will the dragon that has melded his mind to that of the obsidian warmonger.

Finally he allows himself to slow, first to a high-legged trot and then down to a plodding walk. His sides heave, flanks and thighs drenched with sweat despite the relative coolness of the day. Vérzés descends, landing gratefully upon the giant colt's scarred withers, his tongue lolling from his tooth-lined jaws as he, too, fights to cool down. "Good work," says the boy to his dragon, who ruffles his scales and coos. Mother will be proud. He looks down the beach, preparing to run right back up it again - the way back should be easier with the wind blowing behind him, yet his jelly-like legs threaten to collapse under him, so he decides to rest slightly first.

LINEART: DARYA87.DA

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]
[ use of force/magic on him is permitted aside from death/maiming ]

Öde Posts: 145
Aurora Basin Disciple atk: 5 | def: 10 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 hh :: 4.5 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Blu

He does not know their lineage as he watches the boy run on the sand. He does not know that their mothers both whispered into their ears promises of greatness. He does not know anything about this boy, but Öde watches him as he works himself to exhaustion, a curious smile playing on his lips. He has an internal wonderment at the young colt's apparent need to drive himself into the ground.

"Maybe you should be doing the same," some the vehement cawing of his mother, her words so much more callous than they used to be. His smile falters, and an ear flicks back in annoyance, as if she stood behind him, her shadow looming across the dark stain of his flanks. Why should I work so hard for something that is inevitable?" he asked her dryly, not needing to remind her of all her confidence in his talents, of her promises, of her twisted encouragement. She laughed, a tittering, unpleasant sound that filled his head like a murder taking flight. His other ear slanted back and his teeth set on edge. "You have the blood, but now you need the sweat! Polish your crown, or would you leave it dusty on the ground?"

Öde sighed.

He supposed he ought to at least work out a bit, especially given his recent rank. Huffing out a breath of resignation, Öde strode across the sands to the boy dressed in foam and weariness. His head was high, though it fell under the onslaught of hail and rain, his ears hiding in his mane, while his head tilted in heightened curiosity. He would have run for cover, but already half way there he couldn't show himself a coward, no matter who was looking, stranger or cousin.

"Hey!" he called out good naturedly to the boy, taking on the refined airs he'd gleaned from Lena. "What the hell are you doing out here in weather like this, alone!?" he had to shout over the storm, but was close enough now that he could extend his nose for greeting. He held it low and closer to his chest though, crimson gaze peering from his cage of forelock with intrigue. It lifted from the colt after a cursory glance, finding and staying on the dragon with genuine interest and guarded jealousy.

THE GLASS IS HALF EMPTY

@[Volterra] SORRY THEY SHOULD GET FASTER NOW, maybe ;-;
Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, including death - no decapitating.
Be aware active magic doesn't work in his vicinity due to his magic!

62.5/62.5 HP
Helovia Hard Mode

Vérzés :: Common Red Dragon :: Frost Breath & Toxic Breath & Vadir :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Shock Breath Snow
aha it's fine there's no rush! :D

VOLTERRA
So bone-tired is he that he thinks a good gust of wind may knock him off his feet, but he knows Mother will be proud when he tells her of his exploits. Vérzés flops fully down upon his bonded's back, splayed out as his scaled chest heaves with the sheer exertion of their training. Despite their mutual tiredness, though, Volterra knows they cannot rest for two long. For one, their muscles will seize up if they don't warm down, and in addition the cold and damp will soon sneak into their bones if they remain open to the elements like this.

With a resigned sigh, boy and dragon prepare to move. But before they can, Vérzés sits up stark straight, using his tail as a counterbalance to prop himself up like a curious meerkat. He has sensed a disturbance, his keen eyes able to see where his bonded cannot. Their conjoined vision peers through the gloom until a figure emerges, black like Volterra but horned, and a good deal older. The beastling is, of course, oblivious to the fact that he shares blood with this stranger, that the skull blaze on his and Nymeria's face is homage to the man from whose balls their mothers both crept. It is rare for others to approach him, because few Helovians have time in their day to converse with yet another hyperactive boy-child - yet this man not only approaches, but asks him a question, too! Volterra is quite delighted, and his flared nostrils release a huff of greeting. "Training," he says simply, ruffling proudly up slightly at the implication of the word. Gracious, it makes him sound so old and mature, to be training! Or so he likes to believe.

His blood-dragon, not wanting to be ignored - and detecting an interest by the horned one - quickly forgets his tiredness in his haste to crawl along his bonded's body and settle between his ears where he can gain a better view of the stranger. His claws dig into scarred flesh long since accustomed to the idle pinpricks, and Volterra barely notices as one of the healing scabs is knocked open by his dragon's clumsy clamber. "What about you?" he asks, head tilting and ears pricked forwards. That is, until Vérzés slips on Volterra's sweat-and-rain-soaked neck and uses the ears on either side of him to anchor himself in place, grabbing them with a clawed forepaw around each one and twanging them painfully backwards. This, unlike the pain on his withers and back, elicits a hiss from the colt, and the dragon offers a quick mental apology.

[ you can't stray from what you are, you're the closest thing to hell i've seen so far  ]

Öde Posts: 145
Aurora Basin Disciple atk: 5 | def: 10 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 hh :: 4.5 HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Blu

It's as he suspected then, the boy is pushing his body to its limits, then breaking through them. In some ways Öde is curious of his own limits, and envious that this child has already been exploring his own. Not for the first time since attaining manhood, Öde has wondered what the hell his mother taught him. As always before however, he had to remind himself that more often than not he was suckling on shadows rather than her milk, bound by several unfortunate circumstances.

Öde flicked his tail, pensive.

His gaze only finally drifted from the scaled beast when it wrangled a spot on the boys head, amid much scrabbling and disarray which ended in apparent pain. Maybe he wasn't missing out on one after all. In that moment a rain drop funneled directly down his ear, causing a vigorous shake of his head. "In this weather?" he asked after a moment, a bit incredulous at Volterra's training choices. If there was need to be in this weather certainly Öde thought himself capable of enduring it, but to choose to be in it when there was no real threat? He shook his head, not understanding the point, and attempted to coax the colt to follow him to a more, sheltered area for their continued palavar.

"I prefer to train in the north," Öde responds as he resettles, thinking of the first spar he'd be initiating soon. "Mostly, I don't find the need," Öde admits after another pause to thought, and the grin that follows is rough and lopsided, boyish and carefree. "Training seems to be something that you do, when you're not yet good at something. I haven't found anything like that yet..." He doesn't intend his arrogance, but he understands it.

Öde's gaze flicked back to the dragon, his curiosity still piqued. "Does your dragon train? Do you do anything to train the... bond?"

@[Volterra]

THE GLASS IS HALF EMPTY
Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, including death - no decapitating.
Be aware active magic doesn't work in his vicinity due to his magic!

62.5/62.5 HP
Helovia Hard Mode

VOLTERRA
He gives a small chuckle at the older one's first words. "Mother believes in training in all weathers. If somebody wants to kill you they're not likely to choose to do so on your terms, so it's best to become accustomed to all conditions." Chances are, a would-be assassin would not be so kind as to wait to try and slay you on a nice sunny day, so it is best to grow used to moving around in rain, snow, sleet, wind, everything. Now his initial adrenaline has tumbled back down, the colt begins to shiver, sweat turning cold on his flanks as his hot skin turns to ice. He shifts from hoof to hoof just to keep moving, his aching muscles throbbing as the brisk wind stiffens and tightens them. Fighting in this sort of weather wouldn't be easy, as the wind would affect balance and the rain would destroy visibility, so the young titan is rather glad he has gained the experience of it and can file it away for the future.

The other stallion moves towards shelter and Volterra follows quite eagerly, fighting to smother his shivers so as not to appear weak. An eyebrow cocks at the black unicorn's declaration, another small chuckle leaving his chattering teeth. "Modest, hm?" he says, his voice lighthearted. He can quite understand the man's words - one day he, too, hopes to be a jack of all trades, a master of anything he puts his mind to. "One day I hope to be a fine warrior, but until I'm old enough to fight I need to get my body in a good enough condition to keep up when I do take to the battlefield." After all, it's all well and good wanting to be a warrior, but if he hopped into his first fight with rolls of fat and the stamina of a newborn foal, he probably wouldn't get very far.

The questions flatter him, as he does love to talk about himself and especially his beloved dragon. "We train together all the time. He flies as I run, to train his stamina and his wings, and we often hunt together to sharpen our reflexes and his claws and teeth. As for the bond...I have found that it simply strengthens over time. When he first hatched, he felt distant, almost, but now we have been bonded for a few weeks it feels like we are more like one mind. I imagine we will grow even closer as we both age." His dragon, who still looks marginally sheepish after pulling on his ears, momentarily forgets his scolding and touches his nose affectionately to the colt's neck at his words.

He glances back to the unicorn. "I am Volterra, this is Vérzés. Who might you be?" His sore ears flick up curiously.

@[Öde]