the Rift

[OPEN] !! Breaking Up My Bones

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

KAJ
everyone thinks we're perfect, please don't let them look through the curtains

Children are eager, even the calm youth that stands askance the birthing area, her odd wings aflutter and nigh dancing with her desire to help. When Kaj addresses her, she skitters away after Valiance with nary a word, and the King heaved a colossal sigh of relief that she had done so in such an orderly fashion. He'd attended many births, but they never failed to hasten the beating of his heart or bring a drop of sweat to his brow. With Myrrine fetching the Angelica, he dropped gracelessly beside Resplendence, for she'd seen almost every side of him and would never deign to judge him for his worry. Her teeth clasped onto his wing gently, and he obeyed her silent desires with a loving smile, patient as always. Barred wings lifted and spread to shield her, both in an act of affection and one of privacy, sure that Myrrine would return. Kaj had no doubts that Quilyan, too, likely desired a birth with far more solitude than was fairly given to them. Still, a portion of the king was fiercely stubborn, he never would have abandoned Resplendence's side, not like the patched prince had he bitterly ruminated.

Shaking away the oddly hateful thoughts, he turned ear to the soft words uttered by the brindled Doctor, and Kaj laughed a little wetly. "Would it be embarrassing for us both if I admitted that I asked Alysanne to renew our old lessons, knowing this day was near?" Kaj loved Resplendence unconditionally, likely had since she'd sought shelter so long ago beneath the canopy of his feathers, and he had been feverishly prepping for the foal's birth ever since he'd noticed the tell-tale swelling of her sides. And her chiming voice heralded a hope, one echoed by Quilyan, and Kaj's heart squeezed. For a moment he felt unfairly abandoned, sitting broken and hollowed on the sidelines as those around him settled down, formed families, found joy and purpose in their lives. And what was he left with?

As if sensing his despair, Quilyan spoke, his voice tremulous but certain. Shocked blues lifted to stare senselessly at the stag he called brother, even after his absence, even after his arrival back in the Edge with not a word to the King in passing. So Kaj choked on his own answer, eyes moist and throat thick with emotion, with gratitude. "It would be my honor," he assured, reaching for Quilyan over Resplendence, seeking his touch. All could be forgiven. There were no grudges to be held, no sour feelings to curdle in their lack of communication. Forgiveness had always been an easy thing for the King, and bridging the gap he hoped to offer it once more in that precious moment.

The event is over, just as Myrrine returned with Valiance overhead, herbs clutched in talons and teeth alike. A grateful smile spread across his face, wing retracting to allow Resplendence free movement to stand. Though the instinct to coddle and support was there, he shoved it away, knowing it was not his place but rather Quilyan's. "Thank you, child," he spoke earnestly as he swayed to his hooves, turning to hear the naming of the tiny thing still blinking on the ground, overwhelmed and as precious as any other. Kaj nearly swallowed his heart, enchanted to see her tiny face peering up from the earth. To know that she was his, in some way, that he had the right to care for her. It filled the loss inside his heart, even as it ached to remind him of Aniela's birth.

"Rue," he whispered, already knowing she'd have him wrapped around her tiny hoof from that moment forth. He allows them their moment, the new parents, and turns to find Myrrine bowing almost anxiously before him. An easy smile spread on golden lips, eyes fond as they regarded the peppered fae with amusement.

"Be calm, young Myrrine. You've done nothing wrong. I cannot thank you enough for your help, you are a level-headed young mare, you should be very proud of yourself." Pale eyes sought to pin her own, to press upon her this vital truth and show her how much he appreciated her efforts. Kaj did not want her to mistake him for a strict or unforgiving king, for he was perhaps the kindest next to Kahlua out of the triumvirate in power. "Births are quite an experience, are they not?" eyes twinkled fondly, using the question as an opening to his response, sliding easily into his acceptance of her and hoping to set her at ease in her skin. "I doubt they will mind much if you remain, so long as you are quiet and respectful. I certainly will not chase you away," Kaj clarified, eyes shining with a regal sort of amusement, wings clutched easily close as he shifted his mountainous shoulders. At least she helped distract him, gave him a reason to offer further privacy and time to themselves for the mated pair nearby. Otherwise he'd likely be desperate to nuzzle the new babe, too.

image credits
table by whit

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Messages In This Thread
!! Breaking Up My Bones - by Resplendence - 02-24-2015, 12:54 AM
RE: !! Breaking Up My Bones - by Quilyan - 02-27-2015, 11:41 AM
RE: !! Breaking Up My Bones - by Myrrine - 02-27-2015, 01:59 PM
RE: !! Breaking Up My Bones - by Resplendence - 03-04-2015, 10:08 PM
RE: !! Breaking Up My Bones - by Rue - 03-04-2015, 10:43 PM
RE: !! Breaking Up My Bones - by Quilyan - 03-05-2015, 01:14 PM
RE: !! Breaking Up My Bones - by Myrrine - 03-06-2015, 10:57 PM
RE: !! Breaking Up My Bones - by Kaj - 03-10-2015, 12:30 AM
RE: !! Breaking Up My Bones - by Resplendence - 03-10-2015, 09:37 PM
RE: !! Breaking Up My Bones - by Rue - 03-11-2015, 12:48 AM