the Rift

[OPEN] Renewal [Artorius]

Far Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
@[Artorius]
(OOC: Please forgive all the rust).

There is a twisting of arterial roads, muscles and sinew bunching and tensing before each earth-shattering punch as feet fly and land, fly and land, scattering dirt, dust, and vegetation. My dear one whips his skull with the joy of flight, for though few things left to him give him such sincere pleasure, this is his favorite. A run to clear one's head. A run to celebrate the air in one's lungs. And lo, though he hasn't wings, he still does his best to fly...

And in his flight, he lets loose a wild cry, a "wheeeee" of sorts, a triumphant shout to show that he is excited merely to exist. It is a strange feeling that causes his pure glee, a playful mood he hasn't had in a while. A pulling and tugging at his heart that makes him gloriously excited. It is an odd thing, as he is so used to the previous sorrow that it has become a part of him--a heavy panther on his back, ready to strike a fatal-blow at a moment's notice. But it appears that today he has shaken it off, and he gives himself a literal shake in the sunlight. His three white-dipped feet and white-striped face flash, his chestnut body transforming from dried-blood to a gold-bright orange in the sparkling light. Maybe he's born with it...

Perhaps the light was all that was required to change him, the clouds disappearing with a sigh to let the sun peek down finally at the earth... Maybe this was all he'd really needed? He pauses to dance a curious little jig in place, neck curling serpentine-like, nose aimed towards his chest. He flicks his tail upright as it shines in rivers of rusty-red, showing off for no one...

Then, he strikes a rock with a hoof and promptly scares himself, tripping with his usual grace (or lack thereof), barely catching himself as he springs sideways to keep from falling over. Idiot. He snorts, certain no one saw that, and walks on, feeling a little sorry for himself.

The notion of time had become uncertain, days blending into one another, and Far forgot how long it had been since he'd first crossed the broken wall of the Edge with Evangeline (and her dragon friend, which he'd definitely not forgotten). Things had seemed so depressing lately and Far was a bundle of nerves as it was, so anxiety took hold of him easily, gripping his otherwise firm frame and shaking it. Now, for the first time in quite a while, he was beginning to see just how pointless that anxiety and depression was, for it stilled one, taking away motion and pulling one out of the light. It dulled one, never allowing them to feel, never letting them succeed even at the things they felt they most excelled. So he was giving up. It was still painful that he had lost everything he'd loved before, but in its place he had gained something new. He'd gained a new home, new comrades, new beings to cherish and protect. There was something about being able to protect someone that gave him a reason to breathe. And now he felt needed, and that did more for him than even a run in the sunlight could do.

Perhaps that was it, then... He needed to feel useful. After all, his body was a tool to use, his heart a box for safe-keeping, his mind a log to remember... And it was finally now that he saw this. There was a purpose here. He could be a soldier again, he could stop feeling like a burden and start doing something. And if nothing else, that was what kept him alive. That and the god or two that laughed at his jester's clumsiness.

He pauses to scent the earth and crop a few blades of dry grass. Though certainly unforgiving, Far found the heat somewhat soothing. It had seemed a long period of cold leading up to the renewed fire of summer and the heat was a very welcome change, a defrost for his frozen mindset. Maybe with the change of weather and mood, he would find the being he'd all but lost and finally start his new life...

Artorius Posts: 39
Up For Adoption atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 5 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Barnabas :: Puffin :: None Adoptable

Large black and white wings smacked against the air effortlessly as I headed back into the lands of the herd that I now called home. A soft smile spread across my features as my shadow passed over the shattered wall, that had to have been a beauty in it's hay-day. A reminder of times of the past when herds needed to block out the others from their lands in fear, it seemed now though that everything was in a gentle armistice at least between the mortals. The gods were raging their own issues between each other, surely one day it would snap and the whole world would go up in the flames of battle. But for now Barnabas and I could enjoy our flights without worry of being shot from the sky.
Gliding easily towards the mist covered ground beneath me, an irritated squeak came from the young puffin that clung to the feathery joints between my wings. He wasn't quite old enough to fly, his small body still enveloped in the soft, black downy feathers that were keeping him grounded unless I was flying. Glossy black ears flicked back at the infant, a warning to not complain or I would remain grounded for the rest of the day when the sound of hooves pummeling the soft earth caught my attention, distracting me from the empty threat. Emeralds shifted from the horizon where I had been headed to settle on the sudden appearance of a coppery-gold bloke who didn't seem to notice me standing there when his white striped skull dropped to crop the wild grasses of the Edge.
This copper stallion was one I hadn't met before but the relaxed way he stood in our shattered walls lead me to believe that there was no ill intentions that came along with is presence. Clearing my throat as solid midnight limbs took a tentative step closer to the grazing stranger. "Hello. I am Artorius, I don't believe we have met?" Of course we hadn't met yet, I wasn't normally one to forget a name or a face, but I didn't feel like blatantly throwing out the "what's your name?" Black wings tucked in close to my slender sides, the white feathers that marred the undersides hidden from view while the ball of black feathers made his way up to between my ears where he perched so he too could get a good look at our company.

"talk talk talk talk "

Tag | @[Far]
Words | 408
Notes | It'll get longer as they start talking xD

ARTORIUS
do me like you might know my mind

ladYperfumE
  • Please Tag in All Replies!
  • Slight Force Allowed, no death or maiming. No serious injuries.

Far Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Far

The sun beamed down, a friend, a constant, and Far felt the rays with joyous intensity, his whole body steadily relaxing as he munched at the sprigs of grass. Part of him wished that it was springtime again, a time when flowers were fresh for nibbling and young ones filled the open spaces with dancing and play-sparring. The thought hurt his heart a bit, for in the days when he was a new father, his child danced and played on the green for hours, his love watching not far away, the older mares of their family all ready to swoop in too, when needed. Though he was full of sorrow at the thought, he knew his second-in-command would certainly have led them away to safety after the incident that had led Far to this place. The hope gave his heart some comfort, though he had to banish the thought again, or lose this precious bought of positivity.

Yet, it was a wonder the brute wasn’t more often taken by surprise... Startled, Far had not noticed the other stallion until he was quite upon him, and Far’s head bolted upright with such speed and force that he gave himself a bit of whiplash. Wincing, he immediately looked the other up and down, gazing first at the impressive black and white wings, and then to the rest of him, his eyes continuing on ‘till they reached the small creature clinging to the other’s crown. Only then did Far register the other stallion’s words, and he blinked a moment, taken off-guard. His tail flicked as he responded with hesitation, bowing his head a smidge in greeting, though he kept an eye on the other out of habit.

“Pleased to meet ye, Artorius. And no, we 'aven't. I’m Far.” His tone was very matter-of-fact, with no sense of malice in his voice, and when he'd finished speaking, he raised his face again to look more carefully at the small dark ball of fluff atop Artorius’ head. “Interestin’ friend y’ave there.” Far was only just becoming more used to the idea of companions after his introduction to Evangeline’s dragon friend, yet he still found them fascinating oddities. He studied the ball of fluff a moment, considering. “About ‘ow old is that ‘un?” He asked curiously, his gold-encircled orbs resting casually on the wee bird. As he awaited the other’s response, his ears flicked forward intently.

(OOC: Borrowing this table because I'm still figuring out the coding thing and it's so awesome. Also, haha I agree! I had to stretch this post a bit because I didn't think it was long enough. I'm excited! Thanks so much for playing with me! I already love your character :D Puffins are SO COOL! Okay I'm done. XD)

Tag: @[Artorius]
Walking
"Talking"
EDGE
fo Lyfe
Image Credit Table by Sevin

Artorius Posts: 39
Up For Adoption atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 3
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 5 years HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Barnabas :: Puffin :: None Adoptable

Glossy ears flicked forward as the red stallion's head snapped upwards, a tinge of pain shooting through the muscles at the base of my neck for surely a moment of whiplash had taken over the other's well being. I shook off the thought quickly though as the consistent tugging on the silky strands of mane distracted me from any other thoughts of pain or annoyance while Barnabas crawled his way to his perch between my ears. My attention moved back to the stranger as his skull lowered in a greeting, soundless whispers of caution slipped through my mind to the corner where the young puffin's soul was connected to my own before my star studded skull dropped a couple inches in return, a gentle smile tugging at the corners of my sooty kissers as it returned to the normal resting height.
“Pleased to meet ye, Artorius. And no, we 'aven't. I’m Far.” Far, I was sure to lock the simple, interesting name away in the filing cabinet of my mind along with his red and white features in hopes that the next time we bumped into each other there would be no awkward moments in not remembering each other's names. A smile tugged at the corners of my mouth while my weight shifted ever so slightly into a more relaxed position before words fell effortlessly into the warm Tallsun air. "Well then, it's a pleasure, Far. Always nice to meet fellow herdmates." In reality he was only the third or fourth of our herd that I actually knew their names, my mother, Miykael, King Archibald, and then the sweet Resplendence. Now I could add Far to the list of characters that Barnabas and myself were getting to know in these strange new lands where my list of friends was short. Back home the list would have gone on for miles, but the loss of those friends were worth having found my mother and witnessing the birth (and near death) of my half-sister.
“Interestin’ friend y’ave there. About ‘ow old is that ‘un?” An invisible brow arched upwards as his golden eyes moved upwards to where the hatchling sat now preening his feathers bashfully against the sudden attention. "Thank you. Barnabas was born the beginning of the season, so he isn't much more than a few months. It feels as if I have had him my entire life though." Chuckling I shook my skull slightly as the hatchling went from bashful to full of pride and his small chest puffed out happily with the compliments. But it was true, life before finding the speckled egg in that creek had been void of much more than finding my mother and it seemed it had been fate that I found Barnabas and my mother on the same day and so much had happened since then. Dark lids flashed over bright eyes for a second before focusing back on the red beast before me my vocal chords prepping to continue the conversation with a question tossed back in his direction. "What brought you to Helovia?" It was always interesting to hear how others had managed to find their way into these magical lands that we all thrived in, of course some might think him foolish to have wandered here just in efforts to find a mother who had left him. But family was more important than anything to me and a life without Alysanne would have been bleak.
Plus, Helovia had introduced me to the gold and white, childish mare that I couldn't seem to quite shake from my mind no matter how hard I tried.

"talk talk talk talk "

Tag | @[Far]
Words | 605
Notes | OMG I am so sorry this took so long! My internet had pretty much kicked the bucket D: but I think it is working better now. BUT I am glad you like puffins xD I just think they are adorable!

ARTORIUS
do me like you might know my mind

ladYperfumE
  • Please Tag in All Replies!
  • Slight Force Allowed, no death or maiming. No serious injuries.