the Rift

[OPEN] A gift for a queen
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd
Gaucho assumed that their Western allies were too far away to have heard, or seen, the destruction of their bridge. Had he mentioned to Kaj that the Throat would be an island soon? He couldn't recall - his meeting with the King had been fleeting, although enjoyable. Still the dun wished to maintain the alliance currently brokered between the two leaders. As a token of their appreciation and continued diplomatic efforts, they had crafted a key specifically for the Edge's wingless painted queen.

Gaucho had only met Kahlua twice - once when she was still just a crafter, delivering one of her creations of glass to the Throat, and once more recently at the games that the Edge hosted. He knew that Hector had won a prize of some sort, but did not know of what the warrior had asked.

The Wildfire flew with the Morningstar at his side. In his antler Mara clung to her usual position, while just above his withers a new life clung. The small pheonix chick could not fly this distance as fast as the two leads needed to go, and so she held onto the base of his inky black mane, happily picking at his skin every now and then to let him know that she was still there.

As the veil of the Edge came into view Gaucho descended. Their glass wall glistened as the noonday sun reflected off of it, causing the dun to squint as they lowered down. From his antlers two dragon's composed of fire rose high above the mists, their bodies chasing one another seemingly into the sun. He knew the lands were vast, but hopefully a warrior with knowledge of other herds would see his signal and alert the queen.

"Gaucho come to speak with Queen." He called after them, knowing his voice would only carry so far. Then again, he didn't know what other enchantments the Edge held. Perhaps they would be able to hear him.

For @[Kahlua] and @[Bucephalus]. We'd like to keep this thread moving along, so please keep that in mind before joining! :D We'll be sticking to the 48hr rule for all non-essential members.]

Gaucho the Wildfire
If this is to end in fire
then we should all burn together.

Art by: schwartze @ DA
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin

It was Khan who first spotted the dun pegasus, his voice having attracted the attention of the feathered blue. The icedrake had been out hunting, something Kahlua preferred him to do away from her where she did not have to deal with his tendency to catch small creatures and murder them before ingesting them. Naturally, she knew that he had to eat- she just really would have preferred him to be a vegetarian. Regardless, having caught sight of them and altered Kahlua with an image of the acquaintance who asked for the queen, the icedrake promptly flew down from the sky and sprayed a (meager) line of ice ahead of them. He was quite pleased with himself for what he could do, it seemed. From his actions it was clear he was not offering aggression, however, as he spun and cawed about like a child, chasing after the smoky trails left by the dragons Gaucho had created.

As for the queen, she had been standing at the edge of the cliff facing the ocean, enjoying the saltwater air that sprayed up periodically, a remnant of the waves as they smashed against the rocky shore below. The air was cooling, even under the warm summer sun. It was reluctantly that she drew herself away from the place, answering to Khan’s summons.

When she arrived a while later at the borders, body glistening slightly from the heat of the day warming her muscles, she brought the music of the forest with her. It was a melancholy song that the forest sang around her, the birds subdued and the whisper of the wind in the trees mild, reminiscent of the depression that was clouding her heart. Nevertheless, she put on a (hopefully not too obvious) fake smile and exited the trees, nodding her head to the diplomats who had come to the Edge. She recalled the one with the fiery wings from the Edge games most recently, though his name was unfortunately lost to her. She was usually so good at those things; she had just been a little preoccupied lately. At the very least, she could recall that he was Sultan of the Throat- Kaj had shared as much with her before their fight. “Welcome to the Edge, my friends, I hope your travels were not too strenuous. What brings you here today?” Thus she waited, kicking at a chunk of glass that lay near her hoof.

Kahlua
Here Comes The Sun
Schwartze @ Da

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Bucephalus the Morningstar Posts: 292
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.1 :: 6 || Tallsun HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Azeeza :: Orange-breasted Falcon :: None Tribs

Azeeza rested on my back, daring only a few times to try and fly beside us, getting better, stronger, with each passing day. However inevitably she would drop, and in a smooth dip I would slide under her so she could land upon my back and rest.

We land at the Edge, and I glance down at the glass littering the ground, resisting the strong urge to sneak a piece as a momento. Azee, on the other hand, has less control than I, and warbles in wonder at all the lovely shinies around us. Seems she had an appreciation for sparkly things as I did.

Ice draws my focus upward, to watch a small blue dragon wheel through the sky, heralding the arrival of a Queen. She appears from the mist, and I dip my head in respect to her, unsurprised when her voice and focus appears to be upon Gaucho. The Dun definitely holds the mantle of Leader far better than I.

"The travel was well, the winds were with us today. It is a pleasure to meet you, Lady Kahlua." I hum, frowning faintly when Azee prods me repeatedly, and I drop a wing for her to slide down on so she could hop off into the woods..and do her business. Good girl.

"We came to bring you a gift, and some news related to said gift." I turn my head, reaching into my satchel, rummaging around for the key on it's chain before approaching the painted mare, laying the key before her, then backed back up to stand beside Gaucho. "Gaucho has made the Throat an Island, and the Sun God blessed us with a bridge...you will need the key in order to cross."

Azee returns, and instead of climbing up my tail she tried to fly, managing to hit my thigh before she gave up and climbed up my tail, pulling a grin of amusement tinged with a little bit of pain as her sharp beak and talons tugged at the hairs on my rump.

@[Gaucho] @[Kahlua]
Bucephalus the Morningstar
My revolution carries me...
My revolution sets me free...
credits :: table

Pixel by Aud
Ascended Helovian

Before Gaucho could say anything, his tri-coloured Chancellor opened his mouth and, in seemingly one breath, breezed through the information that they had come to bear. Even for one as primitive and politically naive as Gaucho the black's words seemed painfully vacuous of tact. Perhaps it was because he didn't know how fresh this friendship was between the herds - for before they had maintained an alliance that was held by different rulers - Kri and Mirage. Before that Gaucho knew Midas retained some ties with the Edge, but since having become Sultan seasons prior, this was his first politically motivated visit. Indeed it was the first politically motivated visit to the Edge in a long time.

So as Bucephalus spoke, Gaucho's gaze flatly fell upon him, growing ever more displeased with each passing word. Chancellor he might be, but only as long as Gaucho deemed him fit. Early in the day Bucephalus had asked about the security of his position, whether or not he still did his job to Gaucho's satisfaction. Were they alone now, the dun might have advised him that when the pair were together he would do well to remember who was in charge.

Flicking his tail idly, Gaucho turned his gaze to Kahlua. His stormy eyes closed as his pierced nose dipped towards the stripes on his chest, causing his dark mane to fall forward as he bowed to her in greeting.

"Kahlua." He offered politely, his care and slowness in stark contrast to Bucephalus' business-like proceedings. Never before did Gaucho think he would be giving lessons on appropriateness, but stranger things had happened. Then again he had been without real leadership help for so long that he had learned a few things on his own.

"Bucephalus right. Gaucho tell Kaj when here for games about Throat being an Island - " He wasn't sure if the king and queen spoke often enough that the information would have already been passed onto her, adn Gaucho didn't want it to seem as though they had done this without in some way letting their allies know. "Land bridge gone, replaced with magic bridge. But must have key in order to cross - " With his dark nose, he motioned towards the key Bucephalus had placed before her. "Throat Crafters make them - make them for all herd without wings, but also for leaders. Kaj can fly, so this key for you. Bridge not have keyhole, only need to hold key close and bridge will transport you into Throat."

Gaucho paused and nodded. Giving a key to Ophelia had been much less formal, yet the two had known each other longer. "Throat pleased to stay allies and friends with Edge."

Gaucho the Wildfire

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time
Archibald the Dauntless
Through the ages of time I've been known for my hate, but I'm a dealer of simple choices; for me it's never too late.

The King heard the call on the wind, and he moved. He and his bitch stirred to action, their bodies moving at a steady trotting clip. Archibald's behemoth frame shook the earth with each of his steps, small animals scuttling to move from his path. It did not take the stallion long to break the treeline, but as he stepped forward, as did Kahlua. He let his eyes go to her first, settling on her blue, soft pools and her fake smile, plastered beautifully and diplomatically on her tired face. The Dauntless settled next to Kahlua, but a mere shift of weight away from touching her dainty shoulder to his impressive mass. Archibald's own face was a stoney mask, a warrior's facade that would never falter in his duty as a king. At his borders were beckoners, and the Dauntless was completely willing to grace them with his presence. Even now, as he turned his hard, golden eyes to the fire-winged Sultan of the Dragon's Throat, Archibald stayed silent. A warm, fiery anger rushed over the behemoth's heart, but it did not show. No one knew his emotions, none could read them, save for his bonded. At his left side, Loretta stood square, her tail not curled gently over her back, but sticking straight up in the air. She glared on at the painted dun, unable and unwilling to mask her emotions as Archibald could, but she did not utter a noise or bare her trap of teeth.

"I assume Bucephalus is Sultan alongside you, Gaucho?" The king finally spoke, shifting his eyes to the puny pegasus at Gaucho's side. He examined him a moment, taking in his lighter build and finely dished face and marking him off as an opponent he could easily crush. The dark knight's tail flicked at the flies that buzzed around him, but he stood still and broad, a mountain before the visitors. "Pardon us for leaving our allies unawares, but we have three monarchs in the Edge now. Kahlua, Kaj, and myself." Archibald kept his eyes firm on Gaucho, his blazen face ghostly with how void of emotion it was. The war of rage and revenge waged inside of his chest, banging against his insides and threatening to devour him from the inside out, but Archibald acted not. His personal vendettas--against the Moon Goddess, but manifested in part towards the pawn she had used--were exactly that: personal. His herd was his duty, and they came above all else. He swore his life to protect theirs, and his heart and his history could not change that. He was their sentinel, their knight in shining armor, their victory and their combatant.

He was their king.

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

When she looked at Gaucho, she did not feel anger or pain, terror or fright. She had known those emotions when the murders were still occurring, when the nights were filled with the screams of those with nightmares, and when around every corner was the dread that one’s next breath might be their last. Had she not been there to witness the culmination of those events, the Lady Moon revealing herself as the culprit, the queen might have been reactive and blamed Gaucho; she might have sent him away and looked down as she banished him back to his sandy home. However, she had been present. No matter how she wanted to blame him, it wasn’t Gaucho’s fault, and so she had commanded her herd not to blame him. Gaucho was a friend, even if he had caused terror.

Kahlua knew what it felt like to be ostracized because of something that was not her fault. She had been a wraith after all, attacked her friends, reigned death when she had no reason to. So, as Archibald stood beside her, gruff and broken, heart hurting because Circe had left this earth, Kahlua understood his pain but could not emulate it. Besides, her depression was dampening every emotion she felt- the world was gray, her heart heavy. Too much weighed on her and her soul withered under the pressures placed upon her. In many ways, she was still a wraith- nothing but a figment of the vibrant soul she once had been.

Pressing her nose to his shoulder for a moment, Kahlua greeted the Dauntless as he stepped up beside her. Always watchful, always protecting, the queen was glad that Kaj had recommended his promotion. Part of her desired to whisper to him- ’Easy dauntless.’ She remained silent. His manner was civil enough, if short; it was only him. Instead, the queen watched as Khan fluttered down to gather the key on its chain and loop it over her neck for safe keeping. “Your gesture means a lot to us,” she replied to them, voice almost sad in the way that she said it. Their island reminded her so much of their wall- a prison to keep horses in, not a measure to keep the herd safe, that’s all it was to her. But then, it was not her place to judge what they did with their own, and Gaucho likely felt his herd was in danger because of his actions. She understood it, if she did not condone it.

“And the Edge is happy to stay friends with you as well,” she added then, stress placed on the word friends. The Edge had not named themselves allies to any- only neutral. It was nothing against them, any of them really, but the Edge could not aim for peace and unity in Helovia if they forged alliances. In some ways it pained her, but it was a decision that she and Kaj had come to long ago, and a decision that Archibald had agreed to as well. She did not see any reason to change their minds now. “Can we do anything else for you- herbs or glass of any type?”

While she waited for an answer her hoof began to dig in the ground, loosening up a rock about half the size of her hoof. Feeling her magic in her soul, releasing it into the stone and watching as it began to grow brightly, she added a moment after, “A gift for you.” Her eyes were directed to Gaucho, but she supposed Bucephalus could take it if he’d like to. “A symbol that the Edge does not blame you for what has transpired.”

OOC| Small item rock: lights 2-3m

Kahlua
Here Comes The Sun
Schwartze @ Da

Ascended Helovian

[Skipping Buce since he's on absent :) ]

As Archibald arrived, Gaucho's stormy and stoic gaze narrowed. There was a time that he had been intimidated by the Dauntless, a time where the difference in height and build had made Gaucho feel small and incapable. But the Dauntless has been cocky then, as he was now. Seasons past his cockiness had cost him their spar - a spar that Gaucho should never have won. His victory did not stem from any brilliance on his part, but instead a lack of restraint and tact on the part of the draft. Seemingly not much had changed.

"Bucephalus our Chancellor." He replied evenly, the flames that burned on his wings growing brighter and higher for a moment.

Just what was going on here? Kahlua had been on the Island when the Goddess revealed herself. Had she not heard Archibald's demand for his head there? Gaucho assumed that Archibald had been King then as well, but the truth mattered little. If the herds were friends as Kahlua reinforced that they were, what were they doing allowing Archibald to demand the Sultan's head? Then again, things were surely more complex now. Both of Archibald's sons resided within his herd as well as his daughter. The Throat had provided them aid, and now, after everything, one of them even desired to stay within their ranks rather than returning here.

Gaucho didn't understand.

The glowing stone was intriguing, and, when time permitted, the Wildfire would devote the appropriate time and appreciation to the Queen's gift. For now, her words seemed oddly juxtaposed with Archibald's prior behavior. Clearly the Dauntless blamed the Wildfire.

Was he enough of a King to admit his mistakes? To offer an apology? Or was his pride of more weight than the crown he wore?

"One King extend friendship to Throat. Kahlua invite us to Edge games, and offer gifts. This King want Gaucho dead." His gaze moved to Kahlua, searching her to see if she found the same amusement in all of this that he did.

Gaucho had learned that the final victim had been Archibald's lover. His anger might be justified, but completely misplaced. If the King of this herd could be so impulsive as to demand bloodshed and direct his wrath towards one clearly not responsible, how could he be fit to lead a herd? That he was here at all, offering himself as King without so much as an apology or appreciation for what Gaucho had done for his children, only reinforced that he was not able to put his personal feelings before his duties as King, regardless of when he had ascended to the Throne.

Gaucho the Wildfire

Azeeza actually notices Gaucho's gaze upon me, although I can feel some sort of displeasure, and could not help the faint twinge of annoyance, although I made sure to mask it. Wasn't this to be my duty? Or, Gods forbid, was I to just tag along with Tandavi or Gaucho, remain in the background, more of a figurehead than an actual diplomat? The thought...it's amusing. As hell. Like, really amusing, in fact most likely far more than it should.

However all amusement vanishes with the arrival of a behemoth, a horse taller than I had thought possible(remember, Gaucho is huge to me, most of my kin were less than 16.2 hands, I was a practical giant), and as he stands next to the Queen, it's a sharp, startling contrast. However curiosity replaced any trace of shock as the brute's words rumble forth. Another triumvirate? Then, where was the third?

I remain silent, gaze curious at the almost...tension, in the air. My gaze flickers from Gaucho, to the giant, then to the Queen. Well, this certainly was awkward? Gaucho had said that the Throat was on friendly terms with the Edge... yet did not say they were allies. How...curious.

"Thank you, Lady Kahlua." I dip my head to the painted Queen, although I do not take the glow-stone, instead leaving it for Gaucho. I am not surprised to hear that the giant-king wants my Sultan dead, although it does arouse some curious questions, especially at Gaucho.

It was my turn to frown, although I kept my displeasure discreet. Now who was being tactless? Admittedly, diplomacy was not Gaucho's role, but still. Whether one of the Kings wanted Gaucho dead or not shouldn't particularly matter, unless he acted upon that desire. So far as what I had seen, the giant-king had been civil, if icy, but still was civil. So what was Gaucho's intent?

I let my gaze flicker to the dun now, curious, confused, as to precisely why the man brought something like that up on a diplomatic meeting. I almost wish to ask the painted Queen if she would like to go for a walk and let the pair sort themselves out...but the destruction of the forest would probably not be a very diplomatic thing.

Pixel by Aud

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time
Archibald the Dauntless
Through the ages of time I've been known for my hate, but I'm a dealer of simple choices; for me it's never too late.

Archibald the Dauntless, a warlord and domineering force in Helovia, was not one to grovel at the hooves of others. He was not one to throw his thank-yous into the fires that did not belong. Whether it was by his own mechanics or not, Gaucho had committed the murders by his hooves, and he should have suffered some consequence. Instead, he was praised. Archibald found it disgusting.

Yes, his first anger had been for Gaucho. He wanted to steal the dun's head and place it on a stake like he had wanted Ricochet's and Jackal's heads years ago. While he still felt the anger towards this primitive stallion, Archibald knew his true rage and hatred was towards the Goddess. Only Ktulu understood his hurt and his pain, and how he had reacted. An entire life of emotionlessness, and Archibald would be eternally punished for one display of his anger, of his wrath.

In truth, if Archibald wanted Gaucho's head still, he would have it.

However, as much as Archibald was not, he was something, and that rang truer than anything else as he stood, stoic and statuesque at his border: a good damn leader. And, in this moment, he had no need to justify himself, because his meeting was about his herd and not him. Loretta shifted at his side, eyes moving from the Throat leaders, to Kahlua and Archibald, and back on the disguised-diplomats once more. Their presence left a bad taste in her mouth, and made her blood boil, but she stood stark still, mimicking her bonded. Her tail, once held straight up in the air as a sign of her dominance and power, curled over her muscled back.

"My own desires do not trump that of the needs of my herd." Archibald's voice was flat, showing no sign of his personal rage.

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

Politics were not the poor paint’s forte, clearly. Had she forgotten Archibald’s words at Hototo’s death? Not exactly- she’d just been so preoccupied with her own thoughts and worries that she hadn’t given them much thought. And, to be fair, she did think that Archibald’s pain was justified. Closing her eyes for a moment, she tried to place herself in his shoes. What if she had lost Kaj? Or Mauja? Aly, Res, Brisa, or any of her other best friends? It was almost impossible to imagine the distress she would have felt. Would she have been so quick to forgive Gaucho then? For a moment it was hard to say, but then she remembered the fight with Kaj. She still had not forgiven him for the hurtful things he had said, the names he had called her, and she loved him. She didn’t know Gaucho at all… So, no, she supposed she would not have forgiven him. Indeed, Archibald was handling it much better than she thought she might.

Shifting uncomfortably as tensions between the warlords rose, the queen glanced nervously to the ground, listening to Archibald’s words, impressed by the tact and composure he managed to maintain. “And yet, you still have our friendship,” she added when the others were done speaking. “I want a lot of things I do not have, and will not act upon.” The words were soft, meek even beneath the power of the larger stallions around her, but there was a sort of depressed finality to her words. They held the weight of the world in them, a sorrow that seemed to whisper that it would not accept any more arguments. But then, perhaps that was all illusion, for the queen’s gentle soul was easy to bend and break. With each passing year, more trials and tribulations weighed upon her. This was just one more; what could she do but accept the pain? She was a glutton for punishment.

Kahlua
Here Comes The Sun
Schwartze @ Da

Ascended Helovian

Gaucho watched Archibald impassively, ignorant of the torment that seemingly stirred within the mammoth creature at having to contain his rage. Yet the beasts actions, or lack there of, merely confirmed what Gaucho had thought of him. He was a fool. Archibald had ignored the wisdom of the Gods and decided to continue carrying a personal vendetta against Gaucho as if the draft held some superior knowledge. Watching him now, Gaucho was convinced he did not. He was wounded, however justifiably, but real warriors knew where to direct that anger. They did not lash out at those who acted without the ability to do otherwise. It was just as silly as hating an avalanche for the death it caused. One was an act of nature, the other an act of the Gods, but neither the avalanche nor Gaucho should be held responsible.

Still, Archibald could have absolved himself of his eruption of passion on the Island by apologizing, or, if his knobby knees could not allow him to sink so low, he could have instead said that desiring Gaucho's death was no longer the case. That he had skirted the issue only provided further evidence of his foolishness.

Then there was the matter of his children ... all three who were currently under the protection of the Throat. And still, Archibald could not extend a word of appreciation.

This King was not merely foolish, he was weak.

Gaucho's flaming wings moved only centimeters from his sides as his cold gaze bore into the newly crowned King of the Edge. Ohh how he would love nothing more than to challenge him on this very ground, to force him to confront whatever feelings he harbored against the dun and either prove himself or drop the matter all together. Gaucho's gaze, unfettered by the need to deprave his eyes of the emotions he felt, searched the larger stallion for a sign of willingness. Would he continue to stand before, boasting of his claim to lead and yet taking not responsibility for his past actions? Indeed the idea stirred a passion without Gaucho. The draft had been one of Gaucho's only few opponents who had possessed any amount of skill. Indeed, he almost died that day - the bone through his nose had almost -been torn one and his bones turned to rock.

Gaucho ignored Kahlua's words. His gaze and intent were still locked upon the Dauntless.

"Either Archibald still want Gaucho's head or not. Edge make Archibald king, even though he want to kill leader of Throat. A friend to Edge. Gaucho think that impact needs of herd." He began, as if offering Archibald both a scapegoat as well as fuel to the fire. "Which is it?"

The dun didn't require an apology, merely a crying off of this absurd quest. The Gods, as well as nearly all of Helovia had confirmed that he was not to blame; one did not blame a knife for the murder that it committed, and so nor should the warrior receive the burdens of their hurt. It was regrettable yes, and perhaps Archibald's outburst was even justified. Yet the Wildfire would hear him give a verdict one way or another. Either he still believed Gaucho owed him a debt, or he did not.

He was intrigued to find out which it was.

Gaucho the Wildfire

Well things certainly got tense rather quickly. I roll my weight subtly, side to side, gaze flitting to Gaucho, curious. What was his goal in provoking the giant(okay, mammoth) stud, even if his reasons were well founded? The King had made no move towards either of us(honestly if it came to a fight I'd probably watch. I may be reckless, but fighting a titan like that was just stupid), and had been well, wise in his words.

"If the King does not place his desires before that of his herd, it doesn't particularly impact our own." I say, looking to Kahlua and bowing my head to her. "We would be glad to remain friends with the Edge, Lady Kahlua." I take a step back, wings shifting, ready to unfurl and carry Azeeza and I from this place. My gaze returned to Gaucho, ears twitching back slightly. Oh, I could anticipate the anger at my words, but damnit this was to be a diplomatic meeting, and it felt as if Gaucho wanted to turn it to a fight.

Azeeza does not wait, taking wing with a hissing click, picking up on my agitation and restlessness. That... was something I was going to have to work on her with, teach her to reveal nothing of our thoughts. I decide to take her lead, however, and with a last respectful dip of my head I too take to the sky. Should a fight occur I would want no part in it; this meeting had been meant for peace, not war.

Pixel by Aud