the Rift

[OPEN] Living on the highest shelf

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd
<style>.forest::-webkit-scrollbar {width: 2px;} .forest::-webkit-scrollbar-track {background-color: #fff;} .forest::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb {background-color: #d6af9f; border-top: 10px solid #fff; border-bottom: 10px solid #fff;}</style>

the girl.

The girl felt the desire to argue, but held it at bay. It was an odd feeling really - she knew that there was an entire world of knowledge that she was completely ignorant of, and yet she felt compelled to offer her insight into matters that she had no business pretending to be an expert on. Still, the words were heavy on her tongue as she tried to swallow them. Air was invisible too, and yet it didn't have its own world. Just because you couldn't see something, didn't mean that it existed in some other metaphysical realm. Even if there were these other sorts of entities, it was laughable to think that they existed with their own set of rules and boundaries. For some reason, the girl felt sure about this. Whatever the rules of the universe were, they applied everywhere. Laws of nature didn't discriminate, but they did penetrate to every single entity. If something lived outside of those rules, then it lived outside of space and time. It just had to. The girl badly wanted to express these sentiments to her companion, but did not. She could be wrong after all.

I like you!

The girl felt suddenly far too large, too obvious, too noticeable. She wanted to shrink back, to use her magic to hide in the earth. Or! Even better! To fly into the sky. Remorselessly she knew that Zekle couldn't follow her there. The open air would allow her to escape from the tentative snares of friendship that were being set all around her. The girl was sure that the reason that she felt so disconnected from everyone around her as intentional, surely something her Father had done. Hototo's care had gotten him killed, and similarly it was the bonds of friendship and love that likely allowed the Moon Goddess to so seamlessly interrupt and ruin so many lives. The girl was here to provide balance, not to be the savior of those around her. In fact, she didn't even care if she was seen at all. Perhaps that was one reason she was so hesitant to name herself. Nameless, she would be easily forgotten. Those around her could christen her with words of their choosing, but it would never be her, just some mental facsimile for them to hold onto.

But now he was speaking again, and the moment to flee was quickly passing. His question spurned an answer from her lips, that she almost didn't notice she was giving. Her brain it seemed was happy for the distraction.
"Her name is Kahlua ... and her mother was Krystal Nacht .. and before that was Kalea ... then Kalianna.." The girl remembered her mother citing this list only moments after she was born. She was pleased that she remembered all the names. "She said it was just something they had always done. I don't know ... that doesn't seem like a good enough reason to me. Tradition without justification is just ... just blind following." Had her mother heard her say such things, likely the words would have stung. To call her family traditions blind and to disregard them might have been taken as rude. But the girl couldn't help it. Just because would never be response that the girl accepted.

"Lightning is neat." She confirmed, her golden gaze fluttering along the haphazard strokes down Zekle's spine. His markings seemed ... seemed so simple and beautiful in way that her own did not. Her markings were spoiled and spilled blood, dripping off of a muddied coat. His were enigmatic, like a rorschach pattern; insightful and unspeakable.

The girl was about to shake her head as the boy implied that her own happiness had anything to do with her choosing a name, until a very real fear gripped her. He had gone farther than just giving her a name in his own mind (spirit. How ironic given their previous conversation), he had said they were friends. And unlike the asymmetrical relationship that Alysanne had described, wherein one could be friends with many, without needing the sentiment to be reciprocated, the boy had said that they were friends. Awkwardness fell over her, as her unblinking golden eyes simply starred. Customs that she didn't understand silenced her from saying that they weren't friends, but nothing told her what she ought to do instead.

"I'd like to find my name..And I'd like to figure out your magic too." She offered, throwing in a late smile at the end which felt floppy and forced on her death-masked face. It wasn't as though the girl didn't like the boy, she just ... she just felt nothing. As he highlighted the level of friendship that he believed they had already obtained, the girl felt woefully inadequate; severally lacking in several emotional areas. So she did the only thing she could think of - she glossed over the subject. Let him think that her acceptance of his offer did mean they were friends. It wasn't a lie, and this way she wouldn't have to fess up to her own inadequacies.

"I know a place where I like to go and think .. Have you been to the ocean before?"

For @[Zèklè]

Image Credits

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

Messages In This Thread
Living on the highest shelf - by Isopia - 03-07-2015, 10:41 AM
RE: Living on the highest shelf - by Zèklè - 03-08-2015, 06:07 AM
RE: Living on the highest shelf - by Isopia - 03-11-2015, 01:47 PM
RE: Living on the highest shelf - by Zèklè - 03-12-2015, 01:12 AM
RE: Living on the highest shelf - by Isopia - 03-24-2015, 10:37 AM
RE: Living on the highest shelf - by Zèklè - 04-02-2015, 11:18 PM
RE: Living on the highest shelf - by Isopia - 04-16-2015, 03:22 PM
RE: Living on the highest shelf - by Zèklè - 04-19-2015, 02:58 PM