the Rift

[PRIVATE] Free Me [Finished]

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah

PREVIOUS THREAD: Against the Grain

After taking his leave of Ampere, Mesec set out to find the Sultan of his new herd - Gaucho. He wasn’t entirely sure where to find him and thinking about it now, he really should have asked his friend to point him in the right direction when she was filling him in on the different ranks and the leads. But, surely, if he wandered about the two would cross paths? That was, of course, assuming that Gaucho was even in the herd land this evening.

The sun was still bright enough in the sky for the silver-lined demigod to stand out against the sand and the cacti, he was an obvious stranger... and a lost looking one at that. He doubted very much that his presence would go by unnoticed for long. Would Gaucho know his lineage by sight? Many had gathered around Vesta’s body while the demigods stood with their parents, though the body had certainly been the main focus.

In his head, he rehearsed what he was going to say. The nagging worry that he would not be accepted would not be shaken, even when Ampere said they would have no right to chase him out. Would they trust him though? He was willing to put in the time to get there, willing to work and to serve.

But he wanted to see what sort of footing they would be starting out on, wanted to make sure his presence would be at least tolerated.

There was more to it, of course. As useless as his apologies would be he felt guilt over what his mother had done and he wondered if he could atone for it. She spoke of balance but Mesec felt the need to counter what she had done. All those deaths did not feel as though they righted something in the world, possessing someone to do her dirty work wasn’t how to even things out.

In an effort to escape the worst of the heat, Mesec lingered near the oasis - acquainting himself with this place. He did a lap around the lake, the proximity to the water providing some slight relief, until his eye was caught by the giant tree. What had Ampere called it? He couldn’t quite remember, but it was an impressive feature in a land he had previously assumed was nothing but desert. He felt both wary and calm in its shadow, wings folded neatly at his sides as he looked up with reverence. It must have a story, a tree this large in a land like this. He hoped that he would be able to stick around long enough to learn what it was.

for @[Gaucho]

I’m trying to find my direction home, ______________
A question of space, a matter of time, _______
I follow the stars until the first light.

image by jjjj56cp at flickr
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

The dun was finishing his patrol. He had offered to take the patrols that occurred during the afternoon hours when the sun was at its highest and hottest. Gaucho was conditioned to move under the scathing light in a way that the citizens - and even some of his warriors - were not. Although they would need to learn how to move even in the harshest of conditions, he would not subject their health to that sort of strain. No, he would allow them to build up a tolerance to the sun slowly, as he had done. Gaucho had lived his entire life under these conditions - first in his homeland - and now in the Throat. He had years to acclimatize, and, as their Sultan, felt that the responsibility was all his.

As the sun dropped from the sky, Gaucho too descended. His body was lathered in sweat, and the dark patches around his blue-gray gaze appeared even dark than usual. Although he was exhausted, the dun looked happy. Content. No longer was he under the Moon Goddess' spell, and the entire Throat seemed to be more of a cohesive unit than ever they had before. The bridge was made, keys given out, and several projects were underway.

Things were good.

As Gaucho landed, in a flurry of feathers and flame, Mara noticed the dark stallion on the edge of the Oasis. Dark ssssssssssssson she hissed into Gaucho's mind, sending him images of the Moon Goddess, as if to prove how similiar she and Mesec were. The dun couldn't remember having met the child of the Goddess before ... had he been on the island? Dipping his nose into the crystal clear waters, the Sultan drank for a moment before moving towards the demi-god.

Water dripped down the Wildfire's chest, glistening over the blue stripes that stretched across his muscles. His stoic gaze surveyed the younger male with interest. All pegasi were welcome here ... even the children of murderers (hopefully for his kins' sake, anyways).

"I Gaucho." He rumbled, never having the arrogance to assume that anyone know who he was. Halting, he let his fiery wings droop slightly from his sides so that his sweaty flanks could dry. Even after a mammoth patrol session, Gaucho still looked as though he could take on just about any challenger. His bone-pierced nostrils flared as he looked at Mesec, gaze unreadable but calm. "Who you?"

GAUCHO
the wildfire

Art by: schwartze @ DA
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

As he suspected, it wasn’t long before he was approached - the large, fiery figure by the lake was first spotted from the corner of a silver eye before he turned to the crystal water, turned to greet the stallion he knew the name of but little else.

Mesec felt absolutely dwarfed by Gaucho, immediately intimidated despite the fact that there was nothing actually aggressive about the approach or the way he was being looked over. It was all mental on his part, he had only glimpsed the dun before but up close there was no doubt that he was a warrior. His mother had certainly chosen someone who could get her nefarious job done, hadn’t she? “M..Mesec.” Brilliant start, maybe he should try that again. “I’m Mesec, my mom…” It was funny how he hated choking out the actual confession, tying himself to her, but his eyes drifted upwards to where the faint moon waited for the sun to officially dip beneath the horizon so it could shine in the cloudless sky. Or maybe Gaucho had already figured that out?

It wasn’t hard to see, once you knew what to look for.

He wasn’t actually sure what to say, now that he was here. Ampere had welcomed him into the herd, had been adamant that it would be wrong for Gaucho to do any different, but he had a speech and now it just seemed… pointless. A deep breath as he looked back at the Sultan, nerves wanting to make his eyes shift elsewhere but he stayed focused - not wanting his words or their sincerity to be lost. “I’m sorry.” Two simple words with so much weight behind them that he couldn’t even begin to put into words what for - there was too long of a list and he did not want to risk fumbling over his words again.

But most of all for what she had put him through. It wasn’t fun, being a puppet for the Moon. “If you’ll have me, I want to join your herd. I spoke with Ampere but... I wanted to talk to you.” The same words that he had said to Ampere, though he had been a little more confident about her response than he was about the pegasus that stood before him.

@[Gaucho]

Ascended Helovian

The dun listened silently, as water rolled down his well-muscled chest, mingling with sweat and finally dripping onto the bloody sands. Gaucho's blue-gray gaze remained calm and unreadable as his thick eyelashes gently opened and closed with the words of the moon-child. In his antlers, Mara hissed gently, making her presence known as her black gaze appraised the darker stallion. Gaucho had to admit, the resemblance between the boy and the Goddes was very similar, and it was true that the demi-gods that he had met all born wings and horns as Mesec did. As the tribrid stuttered out the words my mom, even a simple mind such as Gaucho's could make the connection and decisively arrive at a conclusion.

The Wildfire shook his antlered skull as the boy concluded. "No apology." If anyone could understand the unfairness of the Moon Goddess, it was Gaucho. Mesec had no more control over who and what his mother was, than Gaucho did when he was under her influence. Gaucho didn't even consider that the boy was a spy from the Goddess - that because she was banished to the Edge she would need a different means of wreaking havoc. Perhaps it was the sincerity in Mesec's tone, or the trepidation in his mannerisms. Whatever it was, Gaucho was not alerted to any nefarious motives.

The dun tried not to bristle at the sound of Ampere's name. He still hadn't had a chance to talk to the blue alone about matters other than the herd since their last ... encounter. Apologies weighed on his mind, and had gone unspoken for so long. As her name fell from Mesec's lips, it felt like a scab being torn off. "Mesec welcome here." He grunted, trying to ignore the way his mind wanted to redirect the conversation back to Ampere (How did Mesec know her? When had they met? Had she said anything else?). "Have openings for warriors, crafters, healers...and disciples." Gaucho added in the last option only out of fairness, though he very much doubted the moon-child needed a rank to place him in touch with the Gods.

GAUCHO
the wildfire

Mesec felt a little embarrassed that he hadn’t acknowledged the snake coiled within the antlers of Gaucho yet - her hiss alerting him to this fact - and when white pupilless eyes flickered up toward her he nodded a small greeting to her. Between the snake and Gaucho, there was nothing readable between the pair to judge a reaction. He felt like a gangly colt in comparison with the Sultan who was undoubtedly a warrior through and through.

But in the end, a simple shake of the head and a pair of words dismissed most of the worries - there would be nothing held over his head in relation to his mother. He was welcome here. The words didn’t mean any less, even as they were grunted. “Thank you.” He relaxed a little more now, apprehension melting off with the acceptance of the older male. He hadn’t known what to expect - Ampere’s furious declaration that Gaucho would have no right to turn him away had made him wary even as he had sought to calm her down. When he had asked her whether the Sultan would welcome him, she had not exactly answered the question and left some room for doubt. There had been no prior impressions that he could have based anything off of, just the worry that came with growing up in a world with no shortage of biases.

Gaucho went on to explain the areas of the herd that had openings, displaying the options available. “I’m not sure where I would fit best.” He admitted honestly, but luckily he had an idea to follow this rather unhelpful thought. “I was thinking I could try them all out, if that’s alright… see where I could be the most useful. Healing and crafting appeal to me the most, I think, though I’d also like to learn how to defend myself and the herd.” Mesec looked forward to making a home here and he would do whatever it took to devote himself to the sanctuary he found in the Throat.

@[Gaucho]

Ascended Helovian

Of course Gaucho was always looking for more warriors. It was not surprising that he held the ranks through which he had come up the most valuable. Moreso, the land that Gaucho had come from was entirely composed of warriors. One was a warrior first, and a healer or artisan second. The art of battle was the first that everyone learned, and the most valued. Other skills were of secondary importance. Wounds could heal on their own, and items could be forcefully ripped from the backs of their opponents. Still, Gaucho realized that here things were different. Besides ... being a warrior was not for everyone, as must as Gaucho would wish it upon them.

Nodding gently, the dun exhaled. "Ampere who you know leads the warriors as Gladiator. Sikeax leads our healers, and Cera is head crafter." It made him happy to list the names of individuals of whom he felt so strongly about; each rank was filled by such invaluable members of his family. Unfortunately he didn't have a spy who lead his ranks yet but ... a smile tugged at his lips as a thought came to him. "We not have a head spy right now ... but find Bucephalus if you are interested. He is very sneaky."

Nodding, Gaucho paused to ensure Mesec had everything he needed, before spreading his flaming wings from his dark flanks. "When you decide, find Gaucho." He offered, his words having a ring of finality as Gaucho's antlered skull turned to the sky.

His work was never done, and with this task completed, there were more that called his attention. With a final nod, the Wildfire took to the skies leaving his newest member alone in the sands to contemplate his place.

GAUCHO
the wildfire