the Rift

[OPEN] Pray for sun

Tempe Posts: 39
Hidden Account
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 3 mo.
Haruki :: Common Kitsune :: Electric Lauren
T E M P E

Well, my trip to the Basin was arduous, to say the least. Not so much the travels, but the reception I got when I arrived. I don't know what to think about the Basin, but 'friendly' is not a word I would use. Going to the Falls was much better... the welcoming committee was more than, well, welcoming. Zah-a was the first to greet me and didn't ask any questions like the Basin. Then the stallion Kipling, and another, the King Midas. They were all very friendly and open, though I'm not sure Midas appreciated Zah-a bringing strangers in without at least asking their names and what they wanted first. But how could she? She was younger than I and clearly not capable of structured sentences. Surely he must forgive her of that. But I couldn't stay in the Falls forever, so here I am traversing my way from the Falls (I flew out, with a little effort) to the next land: the World's Edge. I found my way through the Threshold first, and met two stallions, one named Rostislav, one named Rohan. Rostislav was very nice and through him I learned the name of all the herds. I don't think he knew how helpful he was!

So now I head toward the World's Edge, what seems to me to be the forest kingdom. Haruki walks next to me on the ground, and we stop now and then for snacks. Haruki for some meat, and I for the lush grass that Tallsun provides. Eventually, after many stops, we reach what I presume to be the border of the Edge. Haha.. border of the Edge. How redundant! The scent starts to change, and if there is a smell for 'lived in', that is the smell that comes to me. Not just the pines but... inhabitants. As with the Basin and the Falls, I stop just within the realm, not wanting to intrude but to quietly knock, asking to enter. I hope that they will be like the Falls, not the Basin.

And so I stand, silent, Haruki between my legs. "Hello? My name is Tempe - is there anyone nearby?" Haruki chirrups, though my voice is still much louder than his. I reach down with painted face to nuzzle his darkened nose affectionately. I lift my small crown again, wanting to make sure that we are not surprised by any hostile forces. I know nothing of the Edge and I'm eager to learn: I hope that they will give me the opportunity!

""
420 words
@[Kaj] &/or @[Kahlua] &/or @[Archibald] + any others!!
Tempe is here to learn about the Edge and meet at least one leader. :) Taking advantage of outcast status.

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

** You may do what you like with Tempe besides dismemberment and death.

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

Contemplating an escape for him and his brethren had taken the forefront of Kaj's mind, the mantle that he gazed upon every eve. It was a problem that had become part of even his dreams, keeping him tied down to the earth and forcing him into restless nightmares that he would never admit to. Even as his exhaustion lagged, seeping down upon him like sap, the King kept his chin high and eyes focused. His people needed him, and though the fate he was slowly revolving towards was one that his kin may not appreciate, it was the only one Kaj could think of when it came to saving them. No matter their objections, unless they could offer up an alternative, Kaj had scoured his brain into numbness searching for an answer. No matter how they may hate him, it was his job to keep them safe. And so he would.

Though he groaned to think of patrolling that morning, considering the aches and pains of his body, there was no other alternative. It was too last minute to ask for a replacement, and that would tip off his family that he was running at less than perfection. So the sunny stallion shook his mighty frame, stretched his aching knees, and set out on the well-worn path round the borders. He was solitary in his rounds, and for a moment he merely enjoyed the warm morning, the hours before the sun intensified and burned away what little of the mist remained creeping along the bases of the trees.

Birds heralded his arrival, ever conscious of the passerby beneath the boughs. Sunlight streamed in through the cracks of the cover above, playing in shafts that decorated the forest floor in odd, attractive patterns. It was a beautiful morning, one Kaj breathed in, seeking to draw it into his lungs and imprint it into his pores. It gave him life, chased away the demons that pursued him in the nightly hours. The brevity of his nightmares never seemed to matter, for they lingered with him long after he'd jolted awake. It was why he slept so little, worked so much. If he were ever to fall to slumber, to the arms of Morpheus in his ever-reaching possession of the King, it would only be to conjurations of Lucifer that he would fall into.

A voice broke through the pattern of his thoughts, golden aurals swiveling to place the position of the speaker. A whinny broke through his surroundings, its birthplace his chest, a promise of his swift arrival. Swift it was, the massive, mountainous man cantering down the easy path behind the decimated walls to where the tiny figure sat awaiting him. Slowing, Kaj regarded the tiny filly with distinct intrigue, and not a lack of concern that twisted and disfigured the royal set of his brow. Why was she so far from home, where was her mother, her father? Why was she wandering in the wilds with no soul to keep watch over her innocence?

"You are at the borders of the World's Edge, young miss Tempe. My name is Kaj, I am the King of these lands." His regal voice was soft even in its proper structure, eyes like warm summer skies as they gazed down at the tiny thing at his borders. Alone. Lost. "Tell me child, where is your family? It is not safe to wander the wilds alone," he murmured, moving towards her only to stop a respectful distance away. There was no telling how she would receive his worry, his well-meaning chiding.

@[Tempe]

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Hidden Account
T E M P E

A beautiful palomino stallion is the first to greet me, and though I am pleased by his swift arrival, I am a little sad that there are no others that join him. He introduces himself as Kaj, the king of the World's Edge. I look up at him in awe, happy that the one to greet me is the king. Wow! He seems very kind, and his voice is gentle as he says his hello. He inquires after my mother, my family, just as the striped mare by the sea had done. Though I find it tiring that I'm being asked so much about her, I can understand. After all, I'm still nursing from Arvakl, only just starting to eat other food (graaaassss). She's not the most kind of mothers, nor the most attentive. But the King has asked a question, and I think that it would be just as nice to answer his worry. "My mum is Arvakl. She isn't very attentive or very nice. I don't think you'd like her. But she still takes care of my basic needs, mine and Breccan's." I nudge Haruki forward. "But I'm not alone in the wilds, I have Haruki! I don't know what he is but he's mine and I love him." My voice rises in pitch as I finish my sentence, feeling the love inside me rise up like a volcano about to erupt.

The stallion steps closer, and I wonder if he has children. He seems quite concerned about me, and I feel it warm the cockles of my heart to have someone so troubled over me, especially a stranger. Though he needn't, for I am sure that I can take care of myself! "Perhaps you know my papa? His name is Bucephalus, he lives in the Throat." I hurry to add: "Oh but I don't live there yet because Mum isn't really welcome there." I snicker, but I know that the reason she isn't allowed isn't funny at all. I get the feeling that she stirs up a lot of trouble wherever she goes. I would NEVER be a troublemaker like her, though. My motives are much more pure, and I'd rather make friends than cause a bunch of drama. I hope that no one judges me poorly on account of her.

""
384 words
@[Kaj]

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

Big eyes stared up at him, awe written in the fissures of her colorful irises. Kaj smiled, chuckling softly to himself to see her innocence painted so plainly upon her face. It was rejuvenating, and he felt a fondness for her guileless nature already forming in those first tender moments of meeting. Ah, but Kaj knew he was a sucker for foals, who was he kidding? It had as much to do with her honesty as it did her age, and the King would never be able to deny it in good faith. There was simply something about foals that kept him tethered to their sides, loving them, protecting them, nurturing them. Though he'd once thought of telling Kahlua that he could love her without ever having a child with her, Kaj could finally see that such a thing was never a possibility. His love for the little souls, the new lives, was too strong for him to give up having it for his own someday.

To hear the blunt, careless words fall from the child's lips was painful. It would have been different had she defended her mother, but it was all the clearer that this Arvakl was an unfit mother if Tempe did not even see the need to lie. Was she unaware of how abnormal her situation was? Then again, Helovia was nothing like Kaj's homeland. Even a foal born of an affair was a treasure, priceless and valued beyond belief. Tempe's situation would never have occurred in his old home, and it hurt to see her history repeated so often before his eyes, even within the realm at his back, the one he reigned over.

A frown pulled at his lips, eyes soft with concern and sadness in equal, warring amounts. "I am sorry that you have been treated so ill by the soul who was supposed to love you unconditionally, kleine zwerver." Kaj wondered if it would matter to her, his words, or if she knew so little of how sad her situation was that she'd wave it off with a smile and a laugh that would only weigh his heart all the further. Instead, as she shoved forward her companion, Kaj managed a smile for both her and the creature before him. Bending his neck down to Tempe's level, he gazed at Haruki, smiling warmly. "It is nice to meet you Haruki," he said directly to the kitsune, then turned and winked cheerily at Tempe. "He is a beautiful friend, I am sure he loves you just as much." Kaj could not adequately understand the bond between the two, but he did not doubt the love flowed both ways. Perhaps that was a comfort to the wandering lass.

Bucephalus. Kaj wracked his mind for any mention of the stag, but he shook his head sadly. "I'm sorry, little one, but I don't know him. I know of his leads, though. Gaucho, Sohalia and Tandavi?" Though it seemed Tempe wouldn't know them, if her next words were anything to go by. Kaj couldn't help the awful expression that crossed his face before he could properly keep it in check. What the hell? Why would they keep the foal out just because the mother was a nuisance? Surely they had wetnurses available, or milkweed! Something! If the mare was a problem, surely they would see that Tempe would be in trouble as well!

"That is unacceptable," he growled softly, eyes alight with lightning fury on her behalf. "You are not your mother, you should not be punished. You could die out in the wilds alone, zwerver. If you ever need a place to stay, to be safe, you are welcome here in the Edge. You can stay with me personally, we will feed you and keep you warm at night." There was not a single regret in extending that right to her, and Kaj would not listen to any objections against it. Wings shuffled and extended in a grand display, motioning to the entirety of the lands that stretched out endlessly to his sides and behind him. He quieted his voice, not wanting to scare her, and tucked his wings close, dropping his head to the child's level. He was not above her, would not let her think he was. "If there is ever anything I can do for you, just ask. Okay?" A warm smile stretched his pale golden lips, warm summer sky eyes falling upon her form like a blanket of reassurance.

klein zwerver - little wanderer
zwerver - wanderer

@[Tempe]

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Hidden Account
T E M P E

The King frowns at my response, though it takes me a moment to notice. Once I do, a frown begins to unconsciously grow on mine, mirroring his. Except that instead of concern for my poor experience with parents, I am concerned for his expression, worried that something has concerned him or that I have done something to upset him. Apparently it is something I said, and it occurs to me from his words of comfort that perhaps he finds the efforts and lack of presence of Mum and Papa to be troublesome and substandard. Before I say anything, he regards Haruki and greets the kitsune with a friendliness that I have yet to witness toward my companion. My heart warms up and my eyes brighten. Haruki chirrups at the King and then at me, not understanding the words, but appreciating the kindness and, well, respect isn't it?!

When he mentions the names "Gaucho," "Sohalia," and "Tandavi," I nod my head. Gaucho seems to ring a bell, though the others are unfamiliar. I assume they all go together. His disapproval at Mum's parenting is obvious as he goes on to scold my mother AND the Throat for not letting me stay there while I am attached to my mother. He invites me to the Edge, gesturing toward his surroundings and the entire Edge herd land. At first his huge wingspan intimidates me as he stretches them out as far as they'll go. One hoof moves back, but then he tucks his wings in against his sides and offers me all the help I could ever want or need. I step forward toward him again and reach my muzzle, quivering, toward his. "That is very kind of you, Sir. C-can I call you Uncle Kaj?" It seems right in my head, though I can't quite place why.

"I'm sure no one means me any harm, and Mum still feeds me you know. I think maybe she just has some problems." Not that I know what they are, how deep they run or how they affect her and her relationship with EVERYONE ELSE. "It means an awful lot that you would be so kind and generous, Uncle Kaj." A beatific smile spreads itself across my face and Haruki jumps around Kaj's legs, oblivious to the potential danger of being stepped upon.

""
@[Kaj] - Sorry that took forever and a day!

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread