the Rift

[OPEN] Born by Lightning

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah

There was a storm raging outside, hammering at the ceiling of this structure and everything outside of it. When they emerged, when the sunlight returned, he did not doubt that there would be fallen branches and leaves thrown around everywhere. That existed in the future, though, and the storm felt far away from them as they laid on the ground together - Roskuld rolling onto her back and roaring with laughter. He loved that laugh, how it sounded like she didn’t hold anything back, and it made the storm recede further and further away from Mesec’s mind. With her laughter bouncing off the ceiling, with the company of her and Chico, it simply didn’t matter what the weather wanted to do. They were existing, for the moment, in a bubble of memory and happiness. In the Rotunda, it was a lazy Birdsong afternoon with the sun shining bright and not a single cloud in the sky.

The tumble of memories started with her words, he saw each one so perfectly. He supposed they had not really happened that long ago but it felt like they had, it felt like there had been a lifetime between now and when she was small enough to roll over him. A burst of laughter escaped him, punctuating each memory with delight as he remembered too. There had never been much sleep with Ros around, there was always something for her to do. He remembered the annoyance at early wake ups to loud noises, sharp pokes with her horn, or the weight of her entire body suddenly collapsing on him. He always thought it was safer to sleep lying down with her around though - although he knew his legs would lock while he was standing he also knew his little sister would be the one to find a way to knock him flat on his face - a literal standing target for her.

He could still feel the heat of embarrassment and horror when Roskuld had told Frost Fyre that he wet the bushes but he laughed now, shaking his head. “She wasn’t mackin’ on me. I still can’t believe you said that to her.” But if there was any chiding in his voice it was drowned out by her laughter and his shortly after - his head tossed back and he rolled to the side, his wing catching him before he could fall over completely. He welcomed these memories and all the others that came rushing in of that happier time in the Foothills.

But the last remnants of the laughter evaporated suddenly when she continued. He might have - probably would have - laughed off the remark about her being a terrible sister when they were younger. She had beat him up a lot for being such a little runt, but he couldn’t let that last remark slide. “No. No you weren’t, you aren’t.”

Mesec was sitting up straighter now - his eyes trained on her. He wasn’t sure how much she believed that she was an awful sister but he could try to make her understand that he didn’t think that at all. “I wouldn’t trade those memories for anything, Ros - I wouldn’t trade you for anything.”

And now it was his turn to play the game. “Do you remember... the day you were born…” He began in a whisper, thinking that she wasn’t likely to - there had been a lot for the newborn filly to take in that day. His voice was only just audible over the sound of the drumming rain - the thunder and cracks of lightning quiet for the moment. That storm did not seem so distant anymore. “I… I promised Ophelia that I’d protect you. That I’d protect our family.” The depth that his failure went could not be put into words. He had wanted to be the best big brother to her that Helovia had ever seen - wanted to create a family bond with her that he had not felt with d’Artagnan’s children. He knew that she could take care of herself - she had taken care of herself most of her life - but he still wished he had been there for her. Maybe if he had been a better brother they would have kept tabs on each other, maybe she wouldn’t have left the Falls, maybe Ophelia might have stayed too. Maybes. He couldn’t change any of that though and there was no way for him to tell what might have happened.

He was filled to the brim with wishes. “I’m so sorry Ros. I haven’t protected you from anything.” Little sisters were special and he had been given a chance with one of the best - but he felt like he had spent the last few years throwing that away. “I couldn’t protect you or our family.” He said family but he was thinking one name: Hototo.

@[Roskuld]

I’m trying to find my direction home, ______________
A question of space, a matter of time, _______
I follow the stars until the first light.

image by jjjj56cp at flickr
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Messages In This Thread
Born by Lightning - by Roskuld - 03-16-2015, 03:15 PM
RE: Born by Lightning - by Mesec - 03-22-2015, 12:47 AM
RE: Born by Lightning - by Roskuld - 03-22-2015, 10:23 PM
RE: Born by Lightning - by Mesec - 03-26-2015, 07:15 PM
RE: Born by Lightning - by Roskuld - 03-28-2015, 11:50 AM
RE: Born by Lightning - by Mesec - 04-05-2015, 05:58 PM
RE: Born by Lightning - by Roskuld - 04-07-2015, 10:36 AM
RE: Born by Lightning - by Mesec - 04-12-2015, 08:56 PM