the Rift

[PRIVATE] The Sound of Music

Kvothe Posts: 62
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 6 || Frostfall
Elodin :: Dik-Dik :: None Tribs

Kvothe
A story is a way of preserving the memories of those long forgotten to time.

I was filled with a...restlessness. A rumor of my brother's appearance had led me to flee Helovia for a while, only to discover that it had been merely my own actions that left a memory. So I returned, ashamed at my behavior. I had left without a word or notice to my friends... and a glance around the Grove left a foul taste upon my tongue. Was my troupe gone, vanishing before we could even get it rolling? Elodin, feeling my regret, pressed against me, his small body a pillar to me, his presence throughout my thoughts so reassuring and comforting it once drove me to tears of joy.

A heavy, weary sigh slipped past my lips, and I drop my dark head to nudge my little soulmate, feeling his little mouth gumming at my cheek. Our bond... it was the strangest thing I had ever felt in my life. He was far more than a little antelope that chose to follow me, nay, he was everything to me, a part of my body, my soul, that I prayed would never be severed from me. Bicolored eyes closed as I pressed my muzzle to his small form, basking in my little prince's reassurance. Despite his haughty and often distant demeanor, the child had such gentleness within him.

I raise my head, looking around the empty grove with sorrow. Where were my companions? My friends? Aisling, sweet as a summer bird's song, and Finn as lovable as a bumbling puppy? Elodin looks up at me, and before I can even realize it he is gone, bounding away and vanishing into the underbrush. His thoughts are vague, I can't divine his purpose, yet when I move to pursue him he practically yells for me to stay, and it's enough to startle me into obeying the boy.

I frown after him, then shake my head, bells chiming as I turn my focus to the pond. Such memories here... This was where I had been gifted with my magic, where my dream of a troupe to call my own had come to fruition. Yet... what did I have to show for my time here? This place...

It was a place of dreams, memories and empty promises.

""Speech."

@[Rei]
Image Credit

Rei Posts: 140
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14hh :: 5 years HP: 62.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Anka :: Oriental Short Clawed Otter :: None TierRen
Rei

Standing on the edge of the Endless Blue I watch the waves roll in and out. In and out. In and out. No matter how long I stand rooted to the water's edge it will always be the same. In and out the waves will go. They go nowhere. They never stay still. I wonder what it is that they wish to accomplish. Eyes squinted and ebony ears perked towards the Endless Blue I scan the horizon as if it holds the answers. I wonder if the waves are like I; if they too feel lost as to what their purpose is, even as they move forward.

The ocean breeze tussles in my mane. Unsure of which way it wishes to go the wind seems to go every which way. Even if the ocean's waves and my own purpose is debatable the wind seems to have too much purpose. It pulls me in every direction. Lifting my head I combat against the wind doing my best to toss my hair back to where it belongs. My charms clink and tangle against one another.

My ears flick back at the strangest little sound. Strange but familiar. Like a voice from a dream. Cocking my head I try to place it. Then everything completely stills. I spin to face the direction where I had heard the Dik dik's bleating. Wherever he is Kvothe will be. The sea breeze still tosses my mane about but now I push the wind away with irritation. My eyes flicker from place to place searching for my friend or his companion.

"Kvothe?" A hesitant grin grows wide across my face. I had thought I would never come across the stallion again. My grin defies physics and manages to grow larger as Elodin bounds from the forest lining the shore. I practically dance in place as I wait for Kvothe to come.

But he doesn't. Still I wait.

My heart pounds in my chest. Why would be the pair be separate?

I look down at Elodin in confusion. He looks up at me with annoyance.

I slow my breathing and remind myself to not jump to any conclusions. Elodin is okay. And if he is fine then so is Kvothe. Others in Helovia spend time apart from each other regularly. Elodin is just so small and young. Without giving me a second glance he moves back towards the forest he came from.

I follow the dik dik through the forest and into the Secret Grove. One of the last places I had seen Kvothe. The vision of his face fills my head at the same time that my eyes fall upon him. I am sure that my heavy panting announces my arrival. Elodin is small but quick. At first I say nothing. Shock mingles with delight. There is no hiding just how happy I am to see Kvothe. But then another odd emotion fills me. I remember the sadness he had left me in his wake. The worry. I remember how much I had missed him.

"Where have you been? I had no idea where you went to.." My beginning question was a mixture of accusation and breathless excitement. My softer words fade out into an unfinished sentence. I worried about you. I stand at the edge of the wood a few bodies widths away from where my friend stands. Part of me, a rather large part, pleads with me to get closer to him. But another part wants to stay rooted to where I stand. It is almost too good to be true to see Kvothe here. "I looked for you." My words are quiet yet they still manage to fall around us in such a loud way.

I had looked for him everywhere that I had known to look. After our parting after the Earth God's flood I had not seen him anywhere nor had I heard word from the stallion. I look down to my hooves embarrassed. I had fretted over his absence. I had thought that maybe after spending time with me confined on the boat that he had gotten tired of me.

My eyes run over Kvothe carefully, slowly, I look over him from the tip of his antler to the end of his toe. He looks to be well. Oh how I had missed him. Did he miss me? Had he thought of me during his absence? As I look at him every memory from our time together flashes through my memory.

Hesitantly I take a few steps towards Kvothe. The hesitant steps are few though. After taking a few steps I am overcome with the urgent need to be at his side. Suddenly my hooves cannot carry me fast enough. I race to Kvothe's side.

Throwing my neck over his I squeeze him tightly as if he might slip away from me once more if I don't hold him close. Suddenly my throat feels choked up and I blink back sudden tears. "Kvothe I was so lonely. Everyone that I have known has gone their separate ways and I have no idea where I fit into anything anymore." I lay my head against his back for a moment. Unwilling to let him see how worked up I actually am. Unwilling to allow myself to face how worked up I am. A ragged sigh does escape past my lips before I can stop it.

"So tell me, have you come back with any new stories? Stepping back away from him I flash a smile that seems much closer to normal.

@[Kvothe]

image credits
- table by Niki -
Magic usage is okay.
Just ask before doing any actions that may cause a great deal of damage first.
I am also okay with being tagged.

Outcast

Kvothe

Elodin ranges out far, although for what I still do not know. So I occupy my time by partaking of the sweet grasses in the Grove, most especially the water-grass that grew so thickly on the shores of the pond. The sun slid across it's path in the sky, settling low, pregnant on the horizon 'ere I heard my dear Elodin's return... and the huffing approach of another. I raised my head, ears pricked as the spry child bounds from the bushes, practically oozing smug satisfaction, which in of itself is a worrying sensation for me. The last two times he had felt such, I had wound up in a pitfall trap and in a tree respectively(don't ask about the tree, I beg of thee).

The she bursts from the forest with all the grace of...well of our very first meeting. Her expression is positively radiant, and I can feel a grin break out upon my own features, even as I take an eager step towards her, one of those I hold dearest to me. My tail lifts, curling as I stretch my bell-adorned head towards her.

And then her expression falters, as does my own, my leg raised caught halfway between a step closer to her. At her look, guilt does it's usual thing and returns to bite me in the rump. How could I have left without letting at least her know? Finn and Aisling were wanderers-born, they would have chalked it up to my restless feet carrying me across the land in the dance all Gypsies swayed to. Rei? Did she think that as well, or did she believe I had abandoned her?

Her words shame me, and I bow my head, bells chiming in a melody far happier than they should be. The fact that she searched for me, unknowing that I had left the borders of Helovia for a brief time, strikes a deeper blow, and I finally set my foot down. But nay, not in a step forward but rather behind. I do not notice her moving towards me, my words falling from numb lips. What words could even I, a storyteller born, weave to amend my mistake?

"Rei.. I'm sorry, I sho-" I cannot say a word more, for she rushed me, her neck draping over my withers, drawing me close, and I can feel an expression akin to a startled cat cross my features. Then I lean in, curling my own head around her, pulling her closer. I can only wish for wings to better curl her dappled body into the embrace, and at the choked way she speaks, the worry that falls from her serene voice, I merely pull her closer, tighter, as much as I could without harming her.

It is then, there, in that moment, that I speak. "I am so sorry, mo chroí, so sorry. I did not intend to leave in such a haste, it was childish of me." The endearment slips unbidden, yet I leave it, rather liking the way it falls, settling upon her night-painted coat of snow. A sigh, ragged and weary escapes her, and I close my eyes against the regret within my breast. I had caused that sigh to fall from the lips of one with a heart as light as the air.

Sooner than I would have liked she pulls away, and once more that smile is upon her face. It takes me a moment to realize she had asked something, and a laugh rolled out of me. "Stories? Nay, sadly, only one of a foolish stallion chasing whispers of a rumor. Yet that does not mean I do not have many tales to tell." I turn, beckoning with a light toss of my head for her to follow as I move away from the pond, towards a patch of thicker grass so we could lay down.

"If ye' would like, I could tell you one. Perhaps as an apology for my idiocy." I grin over my shoulder at her. Elodin comes to my attention then, and my gaze flickers to the boy as he lays upon a stone, watching me with a self-satisfied look that would be far more suited for a cat than an antelope. His thoughts slide over me, and the things he se- oh. OH. A sharp frown crosses my face, and I scold him silently to no effect; he just bleats a laugh and turns his attention elsewhere, finding grass more important than me fighting the flush that threatened to darken my already dark features.

Children.

@[Rei] THE S.S. REITHE HAS NOW SET SAIL

Translation: mo chroí - My heart)

Image Credit

Rei

"Mo Ch-Mo chroí?" I tilt my head and scrunch my face up in confusion. "Don't tell me that you have done gone and forgotten my name!" I wink at Kvothe and a laugh follows. My previous turmoil of emotions is forgotten for the most part and instead I am filled with a lightness. It is a wonder that I do not float away.

I can still feel the remnants of Kvothe's touch. Our embrace lit a feeling in me that I cannot remember having before. I do my best to remember the feeling. I want to memorize the feeling of our embrace. My face flushes at the remembrance of how close he had pulled me. Do friends embrace in such a manner? Do friends call each other whatever it was that he had called me? Does a friend's heartbeat flutter as mine does whenever he pulls me tight or as it did whenever he referred to me using such lovely words?

"What sort of rumor?" I know Kvothe to be a wanderer but he does not strike me as the type to act on a whim. Concern etches itself across my face. Kvothe may be many things but foolish is certainly not one of them. Is he sure that the rumor is nothing more than a rumor? If he hears it again or if it comes to be more than a rumor will Kvothe once more venture away from Helovia? I am torn between wishing to ask him what he would do if either things came to pass but I am unable to do so in fear of what his response may be. Instead I watch him and I try to memorize every little feature just in case.

I am so enraptured in my memorization of Kvothe that it takes me a moment to realize that he wishes for me to follow him. Like a foal clinging to her mother's side I shake myself from my daze and I walk on springing legs to Kvothe. As I pass by him I allow my own side to brush against his. I want to know if the feeling his earlier touch gave me was a fluke or if it happens with every touch that we share. Closely I watch him for any reactions. Does he feel them in the same way as I do?

"I would tell you not to sweat it. That you were no idiot," I pause while laying down in the plush cool grass, "But I am afraid that I simply cannot risk missing out on one of your stories." Looking up at Kvothe I grin and bat my eye lashes in a mock display of innocence before bursting into laughter.

"Honestly though," I still and lock my eyes onto his own, "Honestly I don't hold your time spent.. away against you. I am just glad that you are back here." Here with me. "Perhaps next time I could join you on your adventure." As I wait for Kvothe to lay down I settle into the grassy bed I close my eyes in bliss. I wish that I could freeze this moment. Not for forever.. but for long enough. How does Kvothe do this to me? With nothing more than his presence I am taken away from the mundane life that I have slipped into. I feel as if I have a place with him. I say that he could take me on his next adventure; but somehow every moment with Kvothe has a rush that no adventure, no matter how grand, could give. Opening my eyes I watch him once more. A humorous glimmer dances in my eye as I wonder if perhaps he possesses more magic than he lets on, perhaps he has cast a spell upon me. Or perhaps I have.... my eyes widen at my own thought and a deep blush quickly covers my face. In this moment an entirely new shade of red is born.

"So my storyteller," it sends a shiver down my spine to refer to him as being mine, What story do you have resting upon your tongue? Amusement lights my eye as I watch Kvothe and Elodin's exhange. They speak with an absence of spoken words that leaves me all the more curious about Kvothe's slight blush.

@[Kvothe]

image credits
- table by Niki -
Magic usage is okay.

Outcast

Kvothe

OOC: A new style of posting... XD I kind of like it for Kvothe))

Listening to you try to pronounce something in the Old Tongue was, honestly, amusing. I did not concern myself too much over your butchery of my tongue, nay, I was far more distracted by the laugh, and I feel a grin break out across my features at your wink. Oh lass, I could never forget your name, no, I would sooner choose to forget everything about me, about Aisling and Finn and Bast and everything I knew.. than forget your name.

Elodin strongly objects.

I spend a few seconds soothing over his hurt pride, fondness upon my thoughts. Nay, I would never forget my dear Elodin. Both of you have wormed your way deep into the recesses of my soul too much for me to even consider the thought of amnesia.

I look away when the question of my goose-chase's origins comes up, ashamed to meet your eyes. "A rumor... of my twin, Bast. I've not seen him 'ere my arrival to Helovia. I worry for him." My ears pin back against my locks, gaze flickering towards the trees. Bast had completely slipped my mind in the rush of excitement Helovia had snared me with, and for that guilt came anew, clawing another scar upon my heart.

So lost in my musing am I that I almost miss it when you touch me, just the faintest of brushes of your hide against mine. It makes my skin jump, and I inhale softly, resisting the strong urge to lean back against your touch, to keep our skin pressed together so sweet and tempting it felt. You merely smile and lay down, somehow reassuring all my worries about having offended or hurt you.

Helovia's inhabitants did, indeed, have such a strange magic.

Laughter rolls out of me at your 'mockery' of innocence that I knew you possessed, and I sink down into the grass beside you. Even Elodin, princely and fickle in his attentions, cannot resist coming close and curling against my belly at the prospect of a story. My audience now gathered, I look up to meet your gaze as you express your desire to..to come with me on my next wanderings. You see them as adventures... oh, my dear sweet naive Rei, if only you knew that my life was no adventure, no. I was a recorder, a chronicler, I watched the deeds of others and committed them to memory so generations would know of the heroics others did.

Which...saddened me. What do you think I am, I wonder? Am I, in your eyes, a bard who has seen such wonders and performed such wonderful deeds? Or do you see the truth? I.. I never want you to see the truth, I want you to think me a hero. It is selfish and wrong and I still want it. I shake off the thoughts 'ere they sink their claws in too deep, my tail curling around Elodin even as he connects my thoughts to a picture of a donkey's rea-... I need to teach the boy manners one of these days.

Then you say something that completely wipes my mind empty save startled surprise. 'My storyteller'. My. Did you mean to say it, to imply that I was yours to claim? Or was I reading too much into it? Oh, I longed for you to mean it, however I do not let my surprise show. More likely than not I am reading too much into it... but I cannot help the pleasant feeling it gives me to be referred to as 'yours'.

"Well, perhaps I may have onnnneee story to tell." I jest, smiling fondly at your masked self before I turn my gaze to the pond, silent for a bit. What tale to tell, what yarn to spin? There were so many yet so few, and none seemed fit to recant at that moment.

Save one...

"I will tell ye' the tale of the pegasus Haruna and the unicorn Misako, two lovers in a land as beautiful and dangerous as a lightning-storm." Elodin yawns, then turns his attention up at me, his broad ears pricked up at me, his attention captured. Secretly I believe the boy liked romances and tales of magic, something that brought a small smile to my dark lips.

'T'was many, many years past when Haruna and Misako walked the land, a husband and wife that tended to the earth and made sure everything green would grow and flourish. The mare Haruna was a beauty to behold, with hide of a pale cream and locks of precious silver. She was beautiful inside and out, never afraid to let her radiant smile shine, and she had her beloved Misako wrapped around her hoof. The couple were happy beyond comprehension, believing themselves to be blessed for their good fortune and love.'

'One winter as the two lay beside a fire, keeping each other warm, they reflected upon how they met several winters past. Misako had been a farmer set to tend to a land he could not tame alone when Haruna came across him, and it was love at first sight. Before the snow left the ground they were wed, and it was a simple yet lovely affair. Misako recalled everything in perfect detail, and Haruna hid her face 'ere she asked him, "If there's a day I could never tend to the land again, would you still be here with me, would you love me as you did before?". Misako merely drew her closer. "But of course." The world seemed less cold before the warmth of their love.'

'Spring came, and with it came the birds. Haruna sang along with their chorus as Misako began to prepare the soil for the crops. Her duet with the songbirds was enough that he, and all the woodland creatures, would pause in their work to listen in awe and wonder. "When you sing, everything is beautiful." Misako told her, to which Haruna flushed, "If there's a day my voice has gone away and I can't sing anymore, would you still be here with me, would you still love me as you did before?" Misako laughed, leaving his work to soothe his wife's worries. "But of course." He told her, wiping away her tears as they fell.'

'Spring turned to summer, and it was then Misako began to weaken, for an illness that had long since plagued him began to claim his life. Haruna cried out in fear as her husband fell, no longer having the strength to stand. It was then she saw Death, in all his terrible glory, stride towards the couple with the intent to take Misako in his clutches. Sobbing Haruna threw herself between her love and Death, pleading for his life and even offering her own in return. Death saw the true love that resided within her soul and Misako's, and rather than take Haruna's life for his own he offered her a deal.'

'"Weave me a cloak with your magic worthy of Death." "What shall I use? We cannot afford silk" To this, Death paused, considering before he spoke again, and it was with the finality of damnation that his words fell. "You will weave me a cloak of your feathers. You will surrender the sky or he will die before winter begins." With that, Death vanished, and Haruna collapsed, for you see, she was under an enchantment. Born a crane with the desire to become equine, the Jade Emperor allowed her to take the form of a pegasus mare so long as she never shed all of her feathers, and should she give the last of her feathers away, she would perish.'

'Haruna, seeing the growing weakness of her dear Misako, began to weave using temporary magic Death had granted her. One by one she plucked her feathers, weaving a cloak of down and tears, knowing her time with Misako was nearing it's end, that once he saw what she truly was she would loose him forever. Yet still she wove at the loom, praying to the Jade Emperor and all the gods she knew for strength and the health of Misako.'

'Soon the cloak was almost complete, and Haruna stood before the loom with the final feather laying before her, ready to be woven into the cloak. It was a thing of beauty, every feather rippling many colors, soft as silk to the touch yet strong as steel. Her thoughts were upon Misako, and the fear she held at his rejection.'

'"If there's a day I'm not the same, not myself anymore... would you still be here with me, would you still love me as you did before?" She feared the answer, her words hushed, trembling with the tears that threatened to fall. Steeling herself, her bloodied, naked wings shivering against her sides, Haruna drew down upon the last of the magic to weave the final feather.'

'"But of course." Misako spoke just as he had before, his lips to her ear, his body leaning upon her for support before he drew her in tight, embracing her broken body against his own. "I'll keep my promise to embrace you, and without wings I'd love you even more. For that crane which had taken flight so beautifully the winter day we met, I'll remember for forever how you spread your wings and soared. And as always for forever I'll love you as before."'

'Misako died before the first snow, never allowing Haruna to sacrifice herself to save his life, and on the day he passed into the next world she gave the final feather to Death, and walked side by side with her beloved into the afterlife.'

OOC: Story based upon the song Seasonal Feathers by I believe Vocaloid? @[Rei]

Image Credit

Rei

"You have a twin? my voice is breathless, "There is still so much that I want to learn about you." What is the story of the keeper of stories? So devoted he is to his tales that his own has become lost to his own story. A gentle smile curves my lips as I watch Kvothe. "I am sure that he is okay." If the pair are any alike then I am sure that Bast is out brightening the world. What can happen to those carrying hearts like Kvothe's own? Surely the good are allowed some sort of protection from the darkness in the world; and if it doesn't then I will take to the job myself. "If you ever want to search for him give me a shout though. It is always helpful to have eyes in the sky."

I have already offered to join him once today but I want him to be completely aware of the fact that if he leaves Helovia again then I want to go with him. Never before have I thought of leaving the land that has grown so dear to me. I am unsure as to why I have no doubts that I would leave Helovia to follow the stallion.

For a while I only hear his voice, I only see his face. My eyes cannot seem to stray from his. A pair of eyes of brown that comes straight from the heart of Earth and the green of springtime are pools that my own eyes easily become lost in.

I tilt my head slightly, does he form words with his lips? So lost I had been in his eyes that everything had faded away, even Kvothe's voice was lost upon me. It is said that the eyes are the window to ones soul. I wonder if it is possible to find part of your own soul in another's eyes. Why else would I feel so whole whenever looking into Kvothe's? I close my eyes because I am unable to take them from his.

Eyes closed I am lost in his tale. I don't see darkness, instead I see Haruna and Misako. I watch their lives together blossom and I am witness to it wilting away. My breath lingers in my lungs, caught there, wondering their fate. My eyes flash open as Kvothe speaks of her final feather. My eyes search his face for the answer to how this story will end. For a moment the spell is broken upon me and I smile at Kvothe as he spins the story. Almost reluctantly I close my eyes once more in time to get immersed in the ending of the story. A single tear rolls down my cheek and I laugh as I shake it away. What a bittersweet tale.

Kvothe truly is artist. Painting lives with his words. The lovers felt as if they had been personal friends of mine.

"What do you think it is like to feel such a love for another?" I wonder what his answer will be. Then I dread his answer. Suddenly I hope that he will fail to answer. What if he does know what it feels like? What if there is another who longs for his return?

Another. Another what? What is it that I am so afraid that he may have waiting for him. If they would be another then what is it that I think myself to be? What is it that I want to be?

I am confused. This is a feeling that I do not know. I mean part of it I do, jealousy has been felt before; but what is it that is hiding behind the jealousy?

@[Kvothe]

image credits
- table by Niki -
Magic usage is okay.

Outcast
"Here the future is made
Solemn bonds of trust will never fade"

That you wish to learn about me... is a gift far greater than you could know. I hold those words close, yet merely smile the most cryptic smile I can muster. Dear Rei, as much as I care for thee, I would not divulge all my secrets for fear of loosing glamour in your eyes, that my shiny wrapping would be torn off to reveal a scuffed, broken toy. I know you would not do that, nay you do not have such cruelty within ye, but I cannot help but fear it anyway. It mystifies me how you cripple me so; you make me want to compose stories and songs of such grandeur about you yet at the same time make me afraid to do such for fear of your rebuttal.

Elodin is endlessly amused by my conflict. In fact he makes his amusement clear in my thoughts, and I cannot help but allow my lips to curl at his merriment. How odd that his emotions were my own, our personalities so different yet deep down we shared a soul. I knew then, as I had from the day the Turtle gave him to me as an egg, that I would not trade a thing in the world for him. Or you, Rei.

In fact... I wish to take you away from your herd, spirit you away and show you the beauty of the world through the eyes of the unchained, through the eyes of those with no responsibility save the ones they chose. I wanted to set you free, my beautiful bird, yet I feared also you would fly away from me, fly to a place my wingless flesh could not follow. As I weave my tale I am aware of your gaze locked to mine, and find myself unwilling to break the contact, loosing myself within the deep honey of your eyes, even when you close them I cannot bear to look away from you.

Your question starts me from my thoughts, from my staring, and I look away, studying the lake so you would not see the look in my eyes. The look of one who has longing, who's wondering if, perhaps, such love was actually within reach... or if it was all an illusion waiting to be shattered on the hard shores of reality.

"I... Do not know lass. To feel such love... that is something rare, something I've ne'er encountered on my travels." I look to the sky then, watching the sunset. Could I love someone to sacrifice my own life so they would not loose who they were?

Yes, I would.

"I imagine it would be...something beautiful. Where every day my eyes would open and my heart would stutter because it is real and mine, a gift far more than anyone deserves and oh so precious. I imagine it would be painful, but the pain would be worth it for every second basking in y-the glow."

Did you hear it? Did you hear the way 'your' almost slipped out? I...hope you didn't. It would embarrass me beyond belief, yet I cannot help but hope you did as well. Gah, gods curse and bless this sweet confusion. "What of you? What does my dear Rei think such love would be like?" I keep my tone...friendly. Or, the same.

And I fervently pray that I do not make a fool of myself.

@[Rei]

Image || Code by Tamme