the Rift

[OPEN] Mercy Killing or, uh, Thrilling [Welcoming]

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
THOR
The journey to the World’s Edge was a long one, though most regions surrounding the Threshold proved to have similar disadvantages. However, it was only one reason among many that I often allotted a full day’s worth of travel when recruiting. Recruiting… It was such an impersonal expression that I had a hard time replacing, but to me, visiting the claiming grounds was much more than just ‘recruiting’. It was a concerted effort that brought to light the bigger picture, an image composed of faith and hope. It was the convergence of ideals and the compromising of trust; I did not know Najya and she did not know me. Yet, the desert blossom had thought enough of me to entrust me with her fate and I in turn thought enough of her to entrust her with my family. The conflict that existed between myself and the Basin was a dying light that faded too quickly into the shadows upon returning to the Edge. After all, I now had a new canvas to paint- one that was not my own.

It was on a whim that I’d pressed Najya about her intentions concerning the Edge and, in truth, I hadn’t expected much. This was the beginning of a new chapter in her life and I could recall how it felt making my first trip to the land by the sea… It had been nerve-wracking and exhilarating all at the same time; it remained a comforting memory, even now…

The heat of summer had darkened my flanks and loosened my joints as we travelled, so much so that when Najya sidled up alongside me, I was able to detect her body heat radiating against my skin. It was not unpleasant nor did I pay it much mind, but it was noticeable nonetheless. Somehow, it reasserted my former musings about her evident reliance on who I claimed to be. Najya certainly didn’t know of my past or that’d I’d been a selfish King foolish enough to abandon his people and somehow I appreciated that inferior idea, because it gave me a chance to rebuild the pieces of me that I’d lost.

However, perhaps old practices were hard to relinquish. Perhaps I was still too involved in the memory of my power and my concerns for the Edge. It wasn’t my place anymore, to question one’s intentions, but I did it all the same… Sometimes I liked to believe that I was simply a King with no crown. “I see,” I breathed quietly, still mulling over her admission as if it might change my mind about her. It wouldn’t of course, but it was her honesty that intrigued me… Najya had a genuine heart, or so it seemed. I had been right to proposition her to join my family- of that much I was certain. “You know, you are a wonderful orator. I suspect the Edge will find you to be just as delightful as I do…” I digressed absently. There was something whimsical about the way she related her tales, a certain splendor in which she referred to the past as if it were something to hold on to or completely erase. “Truly, I don’t care why you’ve chosen to join me Najya, just that you did. I know that new beginnings come at a price and are increasingly difficult at times, but my family –my brothers and sisters– they will mend you,” I concluded resolutely.

King or not, I was still a friend. I was a father and a lover, a confidante and shoulder upon which some cried… I spent my days looking after Sabine and worrying over Eva; it was time to remember my passion for healing, even it no longer involved salves and remedies. “I find those to be endearing qualities. I believe that is presumably the best way to live and I do hope that I can help you find the new start you’ve been looking for,” I responded compassionately.

When the mare noticed my fascination for her shiny baubles, I smiled discreetly as if my interests were a secretive thing. I nodded nonchalantly while fixing them again with a curious stare before abandoning them altogether. The Edge stood before us like a greedy child, demanding our eyes and our attention as we finally passed over the shattered glass. I was careful to lift my feet with precision in hopes that Najya would do the same. It wouldn’t help matters should her frog be split open by an errant shard. “Before I leave you to get settled, I thought it might be a good idea to discuss the kinds of things we do here in the Edge. I know you mentioned that you were once a storyteller –and there’s certainly room for your talents here– but I wasn’t sure if it was still something that motivated you…” I questioned. “A new beginning means something different to everyone. I guess the matter is up to you, but other positions are available, should you so desire. We host a wide variety of personalities here; there are healers, crafters, spies, warriors, and even –like you- storytellers. I believe that the standard title for your skill would be referred to as “Philosopher” and from what I know, if you come to proceed the current Seer, you will possess the ability to communicate with our Paton Goddess- the God of the Moon.

It was a great deal of information to relay in so short a time, but I had no doubt that Najya would be able to comprehend everything with striking ease. However, this was yet another big decision that would thusly impact her life and should she require more time, then by the Gods she would get it.
Specter
world's edge
Image Credit

@[Najya] - I like novels. xD I hope you do too.

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mercy Killing or, uh, Thrilling [Welcoming] - by Thor - 03-27-2015, 08:11 PM