the Rift

[PRIVATE] dark side of the moon

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit

Mirage the DragonHeart

It was peculiar for the mare to walk this path once more. Peculiar, for it seemed only a handful of days ago that she had walked the path away from them, towards the shades that would ravage her body, enslave her brothers, consume her sister.. Though she was aware of the passing of time that had occurred (how could she ever forget the pain, the suffering, the misery that she had swam through all those months within the other-dimension her Goddess had crafted for her?), it was still eerie to be on the path to something that should be familiar to her - and yet, wasn't. Over a full year had passed since her hooves had connected with this ground, and a year was certainly enough time to inflict changes upon a land. Though some similarities to the realm she once knew remained, like the older, more stoic trees, the well-worn path beneath her hooves, the scent of the salty sea mingling with pine trees on her nose, there were some fundamental differences too. Of the scents of those who passed this way now, she recognised very few. That she recognised any at all were a small comfort. The mare's desire for knowledge pushed her on.

She just had to know how her old home was faring. Who ruled in her stead? What changes did the shades make upon the land?

Did they miss her? Remember her?

Of course they did, her bonded, the ever-present Akaith chided softly in her mind. They loved you, as you love them, the dragon persisted, and the mare's step stiffened against the thoughts. No, the mare sent back, harsher than she initially meant to, I feel nothing. It was an impossible remark, and yet she had to hold onto it. Only her love for her daughters fuelled her, those who shared her blood, she could afford no other affection into her life - not even for those whom she would admit she once-loved. What good had it given her? Your daughters, Akaith reminded her with some smug amusement, were born of love. A sigh left the mare's lips. Yes, and my love for them will never die; my love for Vikram has disintegrated. Stubborn, foolish perhaps, but she even as she spoke the words to her bonded, she knew their truth. The mare was vacant of her emotions now, reborn into this world in the way she was always meant to be - emotionless, stony, indifferent to the world. That was the only way she could live, survive. Too long had she forgotten the teachings of her mother, the lessons bestowed upon her to guard herself against the world. Emotions made you weak, and she would be weak no longer.

Golden pools happened upon the wrecked glassy border of her home, and dismay flickered through her heart for a beat before it was quelled abruptly. She would not feel for what had happened to this land, she couldn't - and yet, she knew within herself, somewhere, she felt a sadness, a shame for ever leaving it, for doing what she had thought was right at the time and venturing into the torrent of shades and terror that had been consuming the land. Her figure paused at the would-be entrance to the land, her eyes watching the mists as they floated to and fro between the trees ahead of her, the foggy tendrils that once embraced her in their folds.

Would they ever do so again?

A gentle song, an old queen's lament, hummed from her chest, rising as her lips opened and the harmony penetrated the lands before her. Akaith remained silent this time, resting upon her bonded's back, quietly watching the world go by, silent even in the bond that united them, hiding the hope and desire to return home within her golden breast. Moonlight illuminated them, for the Sun would never touch their hides again - the mare did not even know the true time of day or whether the night about them was entirely false. They waited, they hoped, though their hope was hidden behind the stony, stoic façade that made them appear as nothing more than a statue, a monument to a tale of times long past.

ooc :: I know Mirage is Outcast and technically cannot create private threads, but if this thread could be restricted to @[Resplendence], @[Kaj], @[Kahlua], @[Thor] for now, I would greatly appreciate it. If you desperately want to join, please PM me - I'll be making more Open threads in the near future anyway C:

image credits
table by whit

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
it's what you feel but can't articulate outloud

Resplendence had been suffering from nightmares as of late. What little sleep she got was always shrouded in darkness while her little one was being watched by others. But, these nightmares had gotten worse since the Moon Goddess' banishment. Her mind was weaving threads between the darkness which had plagued them with wraiths and the Goddess herself. Not only that, but Mirage's disappearance. Aye. She was imagining many different avenues of how her beloved leader, sister… no mother-figure had perished.

It had been sickening her, making her weary. But, today - the song at the border reminded her so closely of the DragonHeart that she forced herself to inspect rather than nap while she could. And, the fact that the night seemed to shroud around her the closer she got when the sun was out and around… it made her heart swell . Was Mirage really home?

She sped up, limbs carrying her as if she were floating. Body still possessing some of the baby weight, though managing to shed it rather quickly due to the amount of exercise that she had to partake in.

Aye. But that is when she saw her. Too dark to notice the changes upon her hide, but light enough to let her clearly know it was Mirage. Her breath gets caught in her throat. The gold dragon upon her back was most definitely the one bonded to Mirage. So she moves faster. She only stops mere inches from the dark mare's frame - so as to not knock her over before she reaches out to embrace the mare should she allow it. "Mirage! You're alive!" she breathes, pulling back and away to take in the dark expanse that was her frame. The glitter that was already beginning to pool around her feet was shining vividly in it's baby pink hue -reflecting the maroon colours in drastic motions across her coat.

Oh! Her family was together. Mirage was alive. "Are you well? Are you hurt?" she starts to ramble, asking about if her limbs were sore, if she was out of breath, if there was anything that Resplendence could do to assist the one she considered a mother. Aye, even Valiance was circling above Res, wanting to embrace the pair he didn't know. The joy (and happy tears) that were radiating from Res were messing with him - and it was all he could do but to try and contain it. His feathered wings fluffing as he rested upon his bonded's haunches and he puffed up his chest in pride (and joy) before offering a few clicks of welcome to Akaith.

Finally, Res realized there was no way for the midnight mare to answer her questions if she kept throwing questions her way. Her mouth closed, lips curling up into a wide grin as a few tears slid from her eyes before awaiting an answer.

But she was celebrating on the inside for Mirage was back.

Drooling because Mirage thread

Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
The answers you seek,
Shall be yours,
Once I claim,
What is mine.
It was over the lapping of the waves that I heard what I’d come to think of as a past grievance or perhaps a fantastical rouse meant to disarm me. At first, the dragon song sent a spell of perfect, voltaic waves down my spine that eventually coursed upward, making my face feel warm and electric. Below me, the sea persisted to rush and moan, predictable and unmindful to the faint notes of her former Queen. It took me a long time to find the courage to remove myself from the cliff and investigate what could possibly be the DragonHeart’s return; I’d grown too accustomed to disappointment. Instead, I continued to stare absently at the foam rolling up against the sheer bluffs, its monotony a constant reminder of the one thing still dear to my heart. The Edge had become many things to me, things that ranged from family to refuge… She embodied my past and guided my future with such patience and reserve that it was a wonder I’d ever left. Yet, it had become an empty place without Mirage. My return had been painful and lonesome, for everything had changed- including myself.

Whether or not my mind had once again decided to play tricks on my heart was still unclear, but it was in a moment of doubt that I turned one curious eye toward the east hoping to find something of note, of recognition. However, there was no flash of gold, no mirthful smile, and certainly no reason to believe that this was not another case of debauchery, made real by the past and my unwillingness to let it… die.

When the skies grew quiet and observant once more, I shifted away from the overhang in order to wander nervously toward the border. Sabine, though silent before, had managed to dig and pluck her way up toward my poll with what felt like juvenile grace. It was hard to conceal the pain she evoked when carelessly clawing at my neck in order to situate herself as she pleased, but I couldn’t blame her for wanting to be part of the action. She had sensed my tension and thrust her way into my conscious with something that appeared to be genuine reassurance and caring. Though we shared only raw emotion at her tender age, it was comforting nonetheless. Time promised to make us strong and until then I would make sure that the young Zephyr was content and happy, no matter her constant demands.

The mists began to grow thick as we moved into the dense wood that often concealed too many secrets and too many memories best forgotten. They curled and parted around my knees, unusually heavy for the mid-summer heat and entirely out of place so early in the day. Migratory birds clucked and sang overhead and at times Sabine would answer with a dissonant squawking that often drove her adversaries from their limbs and into yonder branches unseen. On most days I would chuckle at her attempts to call them down, but most days did not promise the return of the Dragonheart, my friend…

As the forest began to thin in some places, I was able to identify the shattered, glass wall- now a relic and abysmal reminder of battles still strung upon our tattered sleeves. But just beyond it…

..........just beyond the cracks and the glistening shards of the past-

............................-was the one I’d been waiting for.

She was just as changed as I, but the faintest of fires still burned behind her golden eyes. It was dim and smoky, but a fire all the same. A low rumbling started in my gut and eventually pulsed outward, a sound of sorrow and welcome, unease and relief. Resplendence had already managed to find the former WeyrLeader and I allowed her a moment to gush and swoon, delighted at the sight of faith restored. However, it took an incredible amount of strength for me to go forth and greet the little mare after all this time. She had once embodied power and grace like a second skin and I did wonder what kept me from her side when I’d longed for nothing more for so, so long... Perhaps it was my fear that she’d vanish just as soon as she’d come or maybe it was just that I was afraid her fragile demeanor would crack under so much jubilation and surprise. But was I truly surprised? Did I really find it unbelievable that she would return to the Edge, as I’d done only a few months prior? The land had nurtured our souls and mended our broken hearts numerous times… It was nothing of significance that she had come back, no, it was only surprising that it had taken her so long.

Mirage,” I breathed on a heavy sigh. Sabine was quick to clamber about atop my poll, clucking almost soundlessly before heaving herself down toward my back. I couldn’t determine if it had been Akaith and her regal presence that had startled the Zephyr, but I was content to let her hide until things had calmed. I smiled once at Mirage, a soft turn of darkened lips, and moved forward at last to embrace the mare who had thought enough of me to call me her equal. “Welcome home.

The word felt strange upon my tongue because, now that I was looking at the one who had made this place a land of honest repute, I wondered how it had ever truly been a home without her.

Image Credits

@[Mirage]

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit

{the stormbringer}
every day I'm cast away, a vagabond
battle born
</style>

Tides changed, birds migrated, majestic cliffs were shorn away by time and diligence. Even the darkest of hours were lifted in time, the hardest of burdens made lighter. Though the seasons had cycled on in the absence of the Dragon Queen, there had been an absence left in her wake, a hole that Kaj could never hope to fill. At times he felt it too, gnawing at the edges of his soul, dragging him into its darkness in the late hours of the night when his guard was low and his determination wavering. Other times he was bitter over it, more so after Resplendence had revealed that all she truly wanted sometimes was to have Mirage back. Was he not good enough? After all he had done to try and rebuild the Edge in the wake of her absence, the wraiths, the murders? His self esteem would not shake or waver, it would do him no good, and Archibald had shown him that. But the sting never really lessened.

A song curled round the edges of his ears, unmistakable. A deep breath shook the frame of the King, staring out at the sea from the precipice of the cliff's edge. The end of the world...in silence, mighty wings lifted, embracing the end of days. Whatever happened, nothing could change his decision, and with Kahlua and Archibald behind him not even the reappearance of the Dragonheart could sway their plans. But by the end of the hour, nothing would really be the same, regardless of how things changed. Kaj smiled to himself, brittle and bitter. Would they chase him from this throne, the suspected least loved of the trio? Would his family turn to Mirage, anoint her immediately? The Storm Bringer wasn't entirely sure she didn't deserve it. Even if he still felt she'd abandoned them, abandoned him.

Such petty thoughts had to wait, for there was an old Queen at his borders, and he still had to do her the honor of welcoming her home.

He stepped off the edge.

Wings caught him before the sea came too close, and with a few heavy, silent beats of the feathered appendages, he had risen back to the skies. It was a temporary consolation, a kiss of solitude and peace he could not indulge in forever. The buckskin stallion kept his ears trained on the old, lingering tendrils of the song that drew him towards the midnight mare he'd once held upon a pedestal. Two had already arrived before him, both of them on terms he still could not define. Resplendence's confession was an infection he could not cauterize, couldn't burn out of the ridges in his brain. Thor's words were far harsher in his memory, and with a distinct stiff discomfort to his posture, the King descended in their midst.

He kept himself a fair amount back, a motion of respect, of awareness. Perhaps even a tiny bit selfish, too, because he did not wish to be near Thor nor Resplendence in that moment. A soft gust of breath left his lungs, to see Mirage at last. It had been so long, he hadn't even considered how he'd feel if she ever really did come back. Part of him was happy to see her, to find in her form the old friend and trusted guide he'd once known. The other part wondered why he was such a terrible person, to feel the betrayal so strongly. Kaj had never really figured out the reasons behind her absence, but abandonment was not something the brute took lightly. It was childish to keep it held tight to his chest, but no matter his efforts, the Stormbringer could not detach it. Not yet.

"It is good to see you again, Mirage," he spoke softly, meant only for her ears and not the undoubtedly curious, prying ones in their midst. He had no doubt that Resplendence had already offered treatment for any illness or ailment, and so said nothing on the subject. The rest...well, he was left rather speechless. It seemed that everything he had to say was either too personal, meant for a private conversation, or too inadequate to even consider speaking aloud. So he settled for keeping his eyes upon her, a light smile on his face. Warm, relieved, brotherly. She had returned at last.

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit

Mirage the DragonHeart

The mare and her dragon waited.

And waited.

And waited.

It felt like a lifetime had stretched out since her arrival, though it had been nothing more than a few seconds. Such was the tension wrought about her body, the anxiety that sparked through her like lightning, striking unforgivingly at her core, and her bond. The dragon began to purr quietly, trying to soothe her beloved's tension, for Akaith held faith within her that Mirage did not, she knew how much her beloved was loved by others, how much she had meant to the lands and the people within them. That her bonded could not see it was something she had lived with since their bond ever blossomed; Mirage's own self-doubt was her greatest flaw, a weakness that she had battled all her life, one that she had overcome time and again, and would continue to for the rest of her years.

The seconds dripped by, excruciatingly slow, comparable to the torture she suffered from, the torture that left her with scars tracing along the underside of her barrel. Stop being so dramatic, Akaith hummed through her purrs, the thoughts ringing with tinkling laughter. It softened the posture of the mare, who had unknowingly clenched her muscles, though the guarded expression of indifference remained upon her visage. She breathed again, letting the familiar (and yet foreign) air traverse her lungs, her body, her system, willing her to remain rooted upon this spot until something happened, whether that be by someone coming or not coming, she could only wait to find out. She was a patient mare, one of her age had to be - how else would she had gotten so old?

She became aware of the noises then. So long had she been isolated, locked away in a dimension where she couldn't sense or feel, it took her a moment to discern what those familiar foreign sounds were, what they meant - who they meant. Ears pricked as her attention tilted towards the sounds of one travelling at speed, a strange glow was what she saw before anything else, and then, the pale, mist-painted belle, the strawberry bands up her legs, the single ear atop her poll, and now, the dragon flying above her… It took all the mare's strength to halt the tears of joy from spilling over her eyes, such was the emotion that swelled within her. But she swallowed them down, ignoring her companion's smugness at the back of her mind, blinking away the shine her golden eyes had suddenly taken on.

A low nicker grew from her throat, shaping the mare's name, "Resplendence," even as the other mare embraced her. Akaith leapt to the skies as the dun's tiara invaded her space, but it was not with offence, she merely wished to allow the greeting to take place unencumbered by her presence. A light, laugh-like sound arose from her throat, as the little queen then flew to approach and greet Valiance, the red who was clearly devoted to their old friend. He is strong, if young. Good bond for her, she surmised succinctly to Mirage, who merely kept the knowledge tucked away within as she returned the embrace. Was it love she felt now? Or merely affection, a deep liking for one she had led so long ago, one she felt insurmountable relief in knowing she was not only alive, but well too? Could she, who had sworn against all emotions, be so easily lulled into their tantalising embrace so easily again? The mare breathed out again, deciding that as long as she controlled them, and not they her, she could feel

"I am well," her accented lyrics intone softly, as the other steps back and begins a long tirade of lots of words. The former queen saved her breath as she detected the presence of another, a dark titan, how could she ever forget? From the Threshold to sharing her throne with her, the GentleHeart had been a monument throughout her life, a stallion of nobility and solidarity when she needed him. The little mare took a step towards him to greet with a gentle caress, allowing a soft breath to blow from her nostrils in greeting of the new, small hatchling that scurried upon his back. There was the shadow of a smile upon her lips, it had rarely ever stretched into a full one before her departure, it would be no different now. It was her eyes that showed her true emotions, the happiness and relief she felt at seeing them, knowing they were alive and still here, at their home, the Edge.

"Thor," she replied softly, leaning into him with her slight, aged frame. The old queen had full intentions of divulging the circumstances of her return, but it was not the time, for yet another was to arrive. Wingbeats she recognised (as each second passed she recognised more and more of her old home, the sounds and smells of it, everything that was foreign became less so and she began to feel normal again) pounded on the air, and as she lifted her golden gaze she saw the burly outline of the stallion. The tension of the gathering seemed to rocket to new levels, and it was with some hurt that the little mare did not receive a touch of greeting from the steed, though she clung to the words he spoke. Remaining indifferent, are we? the golden one chirped in her mind, and Mirage used the reminder to harden herself against any further thoughts or expectations.. This was why she had to guard herself against the emotions, this was why she had to detach and be indifferent. She felt so strongly about everything.. She always had, and when she had ruled, her love for her herd had been her defining feature. But it had been her ultimate weakness, one that had set her into a pit of hell for months on end, truly, if the mare had any sense of self-preservation, she would not have returned.

"Kaj," she greeted, tilting her tiara into a rough nod, feeling rather than knowing that he held something secret within his breast - was he the keeper of the Edge now? He had been a Protector, she remembered, one who did his duty well, one who had the potential to rise to glory no matter the path he chose. Had he chosen the path of leadership? A curious question sounded behind her eyes as she regarded him carefully, not unkindly. If her hunch was true, she felt far more settled about the future of the Edge, despite the Moon Goddess' words to her of the herd's loss of direction.

"I owe you all an apology," she began again, her voice a low hum, her accents curling the words in that unique way only she could. "My siblings and I travelled to the Shadowlands, wanting to learn about what was infecting the lands.. What was causing those changes, the destruction.. We were foolish. We thought we could vanquish the dark, the evil that was spreading like a virus, incurable and savage. It took a hold of my brothers, I watched, helpless, as they tore each other to shreds." Her eyes looked to each individual as they stood, imploring them to understand. Akaith cooed softly from her perch in the skies, abandoning the playful greetings of new friends to return to her bonded's back and began massaging along the base of her base with her dextrous claws.

"I do not know the fate of my sister.. But as I felt the darkness crawl up my legs and across my flanks, as I felt Akaith's flames attempt to sear them away, I was suddenly pulled, plucked from this world and thrust into another." There was no other way she could describe it, the sensation of being torn away from everything you knew to be real and thrust into a new, foreign and terrifying reality. "I was not healed, but simply.. existing. Akaith was with me, and then there was pain, blindness, and I didn't know.. I didn't where I was. I almost forgot who I was. Akaith was all that anchored me to myself, my memories, my will to live on." As she spoke of her beloved companion, she turned her crown towards the golden one, accepting the touch of muzzle-to-muzzle contact as they both relived the memories that would haunt them for the rest of their days.

"The Moon Goddess was responsible for my 'preservation', she raised me from the depths of her dimension, but only after enough time had passed that the sickness of the Shadowlands had been purged completely from my body. I will carry their marks for the rest of my days." Here she stretched her body so that the glow from Resplendence's misty extrusions illuminated the crisscrossed, slightly indented scars that tracked along her flanks and belly. "I have wanted nothing more than to return here.. I humbly ask that I am allowed to walk its misty corridors once more, to serve its leaders in whatever way I can."

As she stated her request, she looked to each one again, drinking in the changes that time had ravaged upon them. The bonds they had created, the scars they had gained, the way time had aged the faces she remembered. How must they look upon her now? No longer a queen, no longer young nor in the prime of her life, but instead old, aged and weak?

Never weak, her bonded reassured her, in the way that only a companion can. The mare breathed, her voice needing rest after so many months spent not in use, and then suddenly being urged to tell a story so that they might understand - she never wanted to leave them, she wanted to save them.

ooc :: ALL THE WORDS.. don't feel like you have to match me lol. Mirage has a case of the rambles, as usual.. Abba, I know you're on absent, so don't feel like you -have- to reply any time soon <3. Sevin, you're welcome to jump in still whenever you like, and have Kahlua hear all Mirage's words. I'm happy to go with a flex posting order for this thread - post as you want :)

image credits
table by whit

Resplendence Posts: 466
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 8 | dam: 5.5
Mare :: Equine :: 14.1 hh :: eight (ages in frostfall) HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Valiance :: Common Red Dragon :: Fire Breath Abba
Resplendence
it's what you feel but can't articulate outloud

Oh! She was alive. Resplendence's barreling form was met with the embrace that she desired. The embrace that shoved all of her nightmares from her mind, locked her cries that would have explained some of them to the dark mare - hoping that none of them had been true. But, aye, it was not necessary anymore now! It was nowhere near the forefront of her mind as the one she considered to be a mother breathed her name and her dragon offered them the space to completely embrace. And while their embrace was unencumbered, Valiance and Akaith embraced in their own way. For Valiance did not truly know this golden beauty, but already he was becoming enticed, awed, and longed to welcome the vixen into their family.

Still, Resplendence finally peeled herself free from the embrace, tears of joy shining in her eyes and seemed to be matched in Mirage's. She says that she is well as Resplendence begins to inquire about her health - asking about every. Little. Aspect. But, before the Queen explains anything further both Thor and Kaj appear. Thor offers a sign of affection, but Kaj seems to bristle, offer a nod, but not much else. Uncertainly, Resplendence shuffles her way back toward Kaj - wanting so desperately to yank all of them into an embrace and never let them go again. The glowing light dims a little, but with Mirage and Kaj here it is most difficult to force it to diminish.

But then the words start to fall. She says she owes them all an apology, and Valiance realigns himself upon his bonded's back, braiding her hair as the topic falls back to the darkness that Mirage had disappeared into. The horror matched that of her dreams, of her nightmares of all of her family dying, and the fear and panic shone eerily in Resplendence's orbs as she leaned up against Kaj. Though, she leaned up against him to support him - to remind him that he was fit to hold this position. That he had done well. That he had no reason to be so quiet, to expect the worst. Slowly, though, she presses in closer to him as the pain curled around Mirage's accent

Mirage said that it was Akaith who had kept her alive, who had offered some semblance of herself and it was at that moment Res realized just how deeply she and Valiance were connected. Aye, he had kept her… her during these times as well. He had reminded her of who she was supposed to be and what she was supposed to be like. But the marks, from the glow of Resplendence's glitter showed pain and indentations. She took a sharp inhale, stepping forward a little bit as Mirage asks to return and serve the leaders. "Do they hurt? Can I help at all?" She inquires, eyes locked on Mirage's scars as if she were hypnotized.

Alas, the other part of the question she felt as if it were already answered. "I'm sure all will welcome you back with open arms. I would be glad to call you one of the family once more… for you always have been." Resplendence insists, but her eyes linger up toward Kaj - not knowing what was brewing in his mind, what was plaguing his being. So, still wanting to support him (to support all) she falls back, once more, to press up against Kaj should he allow it.

just came off absent and this thread has all my muse so hah

Credits: Image by Schwartze @ DA
When I'm ready to fall
You're the one always holding me up
With love

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
The answers you seek,
Shall be yours,
Once I claim,
What is mine.
The gentle cadence of her voice was overwhelming. Even the heat of her skin and the flicker of gold in her eyes felt almost surreal, barely there… Yet, she was incredibly and irreplaceably real. However, my celebration was cruelly short-lived. I’d wanted more than the few slow moments of greeting to share with the DragonHeart, but it was not something that fate felt the need to be granted. Resplendence had done her part in allowing me the opportunity to rekindle my feeling of friendship for the ghostly figure that was Mirage, but Kaj did little more than taint it. His presence was not one I openly welcomed and when he landed some yards away, I was quick to turn my back to him, as childish and futile as it seemed. Things had not yet been righted between us… and the tension hardly went unnoticed.

Welcome home Mirage.

As I contemplated the mists that had come to greet their former Queen, I began to feel quite selfish for making this moment about anything other than the dragon mare herself. This was not how I’d anticipated her return… not at all. However, the deeply unsettled strings of my heart could not let the Storm Bringer reside unacknowledged. After all, he had chosen to stand back and away from the creatures he was due to call family. Did that mean nothing to him now or was the pressure simply crushing him, bending him to insanity’s will? Were I a more righteous man, I would have overlooked the stallion’s follies, but we had gotten off on the wrong foot and could not seem to balance out our differences. His insecurities were stifling and his pride had all but smothered him… but, at times like these I was almost compelled to sympathize with him. After all, I had once been in his shoes and suffered those same woes. Could I not find it within my heart to forgive and forget, let bygones be bygones?

Maybe I’d gone mad with the sudden changes throughout the Edge or maybe I’d just grown tired of the endless bickering, but in a solitary moment of weakness, I moved aside. It was a quiet gesture and one that was born merely from remembering what Mirage had taught me about leadership. I had not been acting like a leader by any means over the past few months, I’d only succumbed to the actions of a wounded coward. It had to stop. Kaj had come to remember just as I and he deserved this moment just like any other.

Before I could anymore deliberate my issues with the reigning King, I was attracted by the slanted lilt of a tune all too familiar to me now. Formality was now a thing of the past and Mirage moved quickly from apology toward explanation, her tales coming to fruition just as violently as I had imagined. Truthfully I’d known little of her brothers, but the way the world had taken them was much too cruel for even Mirage to have beheld… However, that was not the end of her nightmare, not even close. My shoulders seemed to sag as she continued with her experience, simply thriving within the ominous depths of the universe, and finding no remorse from the ones she’d once worshipped. I’d never heard anything like it and therefore could not understand… I couldn’t even convince myself to soothe her now, because there was truly nothing that I could have said that would have made any of it better. Mirage was here now though… wasn’t that enough? She had survived a grueling test of her faith and somehow lived to relay her strength to others.

Now that I studied her and the way her aging bones appeared to swell against the tautness of her skin… it was painful. She had once been the vision of beauty and grace and devotion to her family and she had returned looking for solace. I would never turn her away and never ignore her pleas for comfort and justice. But I was afraid… I was afraid that Kaj would receive her just as he had his former King. I feared that he would resent her return, no matter how open her heart appeared. I blinked against the melancholy that scorched my eyes and chose to look away from it all. I had to find myself again in the shady forests just beyond or at the cliff overlooking the sea, for this was the land that had raised me and nurtured me… In truth, I only feared that time had changed us all too much. We had grown apart and now was the time that we needed to come back together.

Please stay,” I answered quietly while glancing at Kaj. I needed him just as much as he needed me, but we both knew that despite everything, we also needed Mirage.

Image Credits

@[Mirage] -- I tried to get this out quickly, so I'm sorry if it's rushed. I didn't want to keep holding you up!

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring