the Rift

It was bravery that killed the cat

Loricate Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Loricate

IT WAS BRAVERY THAT KILLED THE CAT
"It was bravery that killed the cat." This is what Loricate thought as he wove through the musty forest. "His boldness to go into the unknown. Of course, curiosity plays a part, but in reality, if you're not brave enough to let into the curiosity, you will go nowhere." He wasn't sure who he was speaking to; the leafy branches held no answer for him. His loosely tucked wings brushed the tips of the trees, the blues a striking color, like a bird of paradise. The little chain tucked around his ear tinkled sweetly, the blue beads striking against his head with every step, a steady reminder that not all was bad if one had hope. If one was brave.

This whole trip was a breath of fresh air to him. Finally away from any troubles, and his secrets tucked safely behind his armor. His lorica. No one knew who he was. No one could unwrap the secrets of the cherry bay stranger, his face obscured by a thick forelock, and his tail held higher then any arabian's. No one would know what a coward he was, running from his problems instead of facing them like a man. Now, Loricate was ready for a new start. He was ready to travel the land, fight challengers, make his way to the top. "The top of what?" He muttered under his breath as his onyx hoof snapped a twig beneath him. "Top of the social ladder? Or the...." He smirked to himself, "Romantic ladder?" Suddenly, a bitter weariness fell over him.

"Now what do I do?"

Rostislav Posts: 245
Hidden Account atk: 4.5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.1hh :: 7 (Frostfall) HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Damaris :: Common Hellhound :: Acid Lauren
One failure, one success. I won't give up. Midas has seemed so stressed of late, I can't help but want to assist somehow. This is the way. Many members of the herd have faded into oblivion, and we must bolster our ranks. Misael will make a good addition, and I hope that Antinanco will join us at some point. But I can't stop there, I have to continue searching for others. Other willing souls who think the Falls would be a PERFECT home for them. Or even a so-so match would be good. A branch snaps up ahead of me, and I begin walking with greater purpose. Someone must be up ahead! Damaris trails behind me this time, close to my heels. I'm happy to have her with me, as her presence calms me and keeps me mentally balanced, keeping exhaustion at bay.

It isn't long before we find ourselves faced with a bay pegasus... wings tipped in blue. He seems to be muttering to himself, but what, I don't know. I cut any further words short by announcing and introducing myself. "G'day Comrade. I am Rostislav of the Hidden Falls, and this is my companion Damaris. Welcome to Helovia." I bow my head courteously, and though I don't see it, I'm sure Damaris does something of the same. I hope that our exchanges as we do the recruiting dance shall be swift, but it is only a hope, a prayer. We don't always get what we want. 'Have patience.' Damaris counsels me in a chiding, yet still gentle voice. I take a deep breath and let her calm wash over me. Yes, I am glad she came with me.

WC: 280
Tag: @[Loricate]
Please let me know if you'd like to be tagged in future replies!

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

*You may do anything you wish with Rostislav excluding dismemberment and death.

Unregistered

Loricate

Finding himself confronted by the large stranger, Loricate faltered in his tracks, pausing before the newcomer. He flicks his head in callous acknowledgment from stallion to his hound, trying to stem of the relief of finding somebody new. Loricate is not a stranger to society, after all. He draws himself up straighter to seem more imposing, and flicks his wings open, letting them overcast him, covering himself in shade, a subtle gesture to show he's not backing down from any fight, should the stranger choose to bring one upon them. But the newcomer seems pretty welcoming; Loricate has to remind himself that life isn't always about fighting. Sometimes you can get what you want by patience, strategy...and kindness. But the latter is foreign enough to him. He was never given enough instances in life to learn how to use kindness as a weapon of tactic. Here's his chance to begin practicing.

"Hullo," he replies cautiously, "Rostislav and Damaris, you said? I am Loricate. From nowhere, for that matter. And frankly, it is quite good to see some living beings." He cocks his head to the side, studying the pair keenly, in hopes to gain some more information about the intentions of this pair. They seem pretty welcoming, he thinks, and nonthreatening, which is a nice change. He continues. "Hopefully, friend you're not as lost as I am, because I am lost indeed."

@[Rostislav]

I chuckle as the stallion flings his wings open, pulling himself up in a show of.. of what? Being a force to reckon with? I don't know, but he's clearly trying to appear imposing. It's not really working, for I am quite at home and comfortable right where I stand, with no stranger to intimidate me. Besides the chuckle, there's no expression on my face, until he starts talking and a smile spreads. He introduces himself as Loricate, and intimates that he is quite lost. I give a genuine laugh, sympathetic and understanding. "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance Loricate." Damaris lies down next to me, her tongue lolling out to the side. "Lucky for both of us, I do know my way around. You are currently in what we call the Threshold - the entrance to Helovia. I live in the Falls, which is a herd land just north of here." I nod toward it to the north. "There is also the Aurora Basin, the World's Edge, and the Dragon's Throat." I nod toward each from our location as I mention their respective names. "My particular herd is led by Midas and Ghost. I am a general there. We come to the Threshold to offer homes to newcomers." Is that the information he may seek? Will this reassure him that my intentions are good, and that no, I'm not lost? Damaris leans against my leg and watches the stranger with glowing green eyes. 'Stay patient Rosti, you are doing a good job.' And I do stay patient, heeding her council and staying optimistic and casual. No one will come home with an old grouch.

WC: 276

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Unregistered

Loricate

Loricate's ears prick and his expression brightens up. So, there are other horses here. That's comforting. He lets himself relax, glad to finally be getting somewhere. He finds himself liking Rostislav, and even the black hound doesn't look all that threatening anymore, its head lolling to the side. It looks like she's examining him. Rostislav, on the other hoof, is one of the friendliest faces Loricate's ever seen, and it makes him once again happy about his decision of leaving his old home behind, as well as his past. As long as no one asks him about it, he should be able to have a clean slate, and find a new place he can settle down. And soon, he may even have a new home, in this Helovia place he seems to have stumbled into.

"So, you're from this falls herd." He says. "Does it, by any chance, need a new member? Because I'd be glad to finally have a direction in my journey, instead of walking around at random." He grins cockily. "Maybe there's some pretty ladies there, too." He adds. "No, but in full honestly, I'm tired and weary and absolutely stressed from having to watch my own back all the time." He's over-exaggerating, just by a bit, but he's not lying. "If you're from there, don't 'spose I can come with you, to these Falls?"

@[Rostislav]

To my great relief, this foreigner seems easy to talk to, welcoming, and sane. I don't have to fight for his attention from other recruiters and I don't have to endure idiosyncrasies or insane rants. My body relaxes and my heart beat calms in my chest - I didn't even realize it was racing. I listen attentively as he chimes in, eagerly drinking in the information that I've offered. I find his humor amusing as he mentions ladies needing men. He sounds like a nicer, handsomer version of myself, and I stifle a chuckle as he speaks. Of course he doesn't know me, so he backpedals and tries to make himself sound more honorable - or so I suspect. I don't mind him asking if he can come with me. After all, that's why I'm here. But I find it odd that he asks if I'm from the Falls, since I clearly said that I was. I look down at Damaris and she looks up at me, cocking her head. 'Maybe he is hard of hearing?' I nod in agreement and when I speak again it is slow and deliberate, perhaps a little louder than I need but not shouting. "Yes. I am from the Falls. I will take you there. There are girls. We go now." I stare for a moment, wondering if he heard everything I said. I would have been more chatty, but if he is hard of hearing then what's the point? I turn to go and look over my shoulder, calling to him. "Come!" Damaris barks and gets up, moving forward, north toward our homeland. Two down, infinite number to go. I hope that Midas and Ghost will be proud.

WC: 283
I will try to make a welcoming post tonight, but if not, feel free to start one in the Falls.

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

Unregistered

Loricate

Loricate flinches at Rostislav's change of tone. "Whoa, whoa! I can hear you quite fine, friend." Maybe he's hard of hearing? Loricate wonders. Maybe he needs to speak louder to hear himself. Whatever the case, Loricate's more then glad to be headed somewhere concrete. He follows the other horse eagerly, his hooves crunching over the forest floor in a steady rhythm, matching the hoofbeats of Rostislav and the light steps of Damaris. He raises his head and enjoys the greenery, letting the tallsun sun warm across his wings, heating up back. He pricks his ears forward, drinking in every new sight and sound like a newborn foal taking its first steps. In his mind, however, he's already planning how he'll introduce himself to the herd. How he'll make himself known and remembered. Definitively not how I'll be remembered back home...Loricate reminds himself bitterly.

After a while, the silence begins to unnerve him a bit. "So, tell me a bit about where we're headed. Who's the leader? Is it a large herd?" He walks up alongside Rostislav, then speeds up slightly, moving ahead, just because of eagerness. His mind repeats a mantra over and over again: "New home, new start. Clean slate. New home, new start." This, Loricate praises himself, Was the best thing I've done in my life. Now it's time to continue climbing upwards.

@[Rostislav]

(ooc: hahaha okay, I see my mistake. Lori's not hard of hearing I swear. Alright, so I'm guessing they just kinda keep walking to the Falls. You don't have to reply to this post, it's kind of just an ending, I guess. Time to head over to the Falls forum :))