the Rift

[OPEN] Refuge for broken hearts
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme
Ophelia the Forsaken

Ophelia had to keep her head down and hooves moving to continue past the Hidden Falls. Slight upon slight had built, weighing her heart heavy with anger and rage. Normally a pillar of control and calm, she was now unraveling. She ground her teeth together on their walk, casting cruel glances to the east until snow and splendor swept her up in its deathly embrace. Here, among the winds and planes of white, she finally inhaled a breath that released anger pressing on the spring of her passions, and she slowed her relentless pace, able to finally look at her sister once more.

Unfortunately, she had been ignoring Ktulu. Simply looking upon her sister's broken face would have sent her careening headlong into a solo struggle, a battle in which she nor Torleik would forgive her for engaging. Instead, she spoke in Ktulu's mind, reassuring her that she needed the quiet for some time, and she hoped that her twin would understand. Frost plumed from her lips like smoke, and she invited Ktulu through a narrow mountain pass, so easily missed between gray stone fortress walls. Up and around it curved, leading past two, massive metal beasts that stood with terrifying impassivity.

"One of Torleik's relatives made those," she commented absently, finally coming to rest in the grassy, beautiful Basin that was her home. The summer, so hot and miserable for others, was beautiful here. Fields of green and earthy smells filled her nostrils, and she shook the snow from her back, welcoming the more moderate temperatures here inside the walls. "Welcome to my home, Ktulu," she said warmly, looking around at the splendor she was allowed to lead. "I will show you to my cave to rest..."

Ophelia smoothly walked toward one of the mountain walls, picking out a dark crevice in the rock. She moved paused just outside the entrance, nodding her head inside. "You may stay here. I will be by the lake; I hope to speak to Torleik..." A small smile crossed her lips. "I think... I think you were right about him."

@[Ktulu]

Credits: Image by perfectperfection @ DA

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Ktulu the Constrictor Posts: 509
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 70.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Eytan :: Grizzly Bear :: Terrorize ali
Ktulu

There was truly no need for Ophelia to ask Ktulu for silence as they walked because the darker sister had very little to say. The revelation that Midas had brought his new pregnant mate with him to the Edge (at least the assumption was that she was his mate) had left a bitter taste in Ktulu's mouth. After losing her son in such a manner the last thing she wanted to do was be faced with a mare that was close to bringing a life into the world. She kept her eyes fixed on the path ahead, knowing that if she looked toward the Falls would only make her anger increase tenfold. There would be little to stop her from marching across their borders and picking a fight with Midas or anyone else that blocked her path to get to him. Ktulu feared that Phi would be unable to stop her and would end up a casualty of an anger that bordered on hatred. How was it that she could feel such a strong negative emotion toward someone who she had once cared for; that same stallion that she had tried to make peace with only a short time ago?

Ktulu's preference in terrain was far different from her sister's. Where Ophelia felt at home in the frozen north, trekking through fields of snow and ice, Ktulu found it to be annoying. She hated the way the snow packed into her hooves, did not like the way her breath made ice form on her whiskers. Eytan shared in Ktulu's discomfort in their march, but the pair knew that in the end it would be worth it. More than anything, Ktulu needed this time with her sister so they could heal because, even though Hototo was not Phi's son, they had both lost something precious to them.

The silence between the pair ended as they reached the border of the Basin and Ophelia informed Ktulu that Torleik's cousin made the hulking machines that stood guard. "Impressive." She murmured, her gaze falling from them and back to the path. A heavy sigh passed Ktulu's lips and she wished that sigh could expel all of the hurt and anger that she had inside. The pair continued on and, much to Ktulu's pleasure, their journey ended when they reached a grassy field. Her ears tilted forward, listening as Ophelia welcomed her. "It's beautifu." Her head turned as Ophelia spoke once more and Ktulu began to follow her once more. "Does everyone have their own cave?"

"You may stay here. I will be by the lake; I hope to speak to Torleik..."

Ktulu stepped inside and looked around, her crimson eyes caressing every nook and cranny. She nodded her head once to acknowledge that she had heard Ophelia then turned as her sister spoke of Torleik. She was right about him? How could Ophelia trust her judgement on stallions when she'd obviously been wrong about Midas? Still, Ktulu forced a small smile. "I'm glad." She hoped that her sister had better luck than she had.

"Ophelia..." Ktulu spoke her sister's name, wanting to catch her before she left. "Is there..." She paused and frowned, unsure of how to phrase what she wanted to ask. "I see it all the time." The dark mare shook her head. "I relive it everyday. I can't even escape it in my sleep because I dream about it. I see it and I remember it and I don't want to." She whispered. She wanted so desperately to forget Hototo's death, to not have the look on his face, the sound of his voice and his dying breaths, her own heartbroken scream etched into her memory. "I don't want to remember." Her voice cracked as she spoke and she wondered if Ophelia would think horribly of her for not wanting to remember her son's death.

"."

@[Ophelia]

Image Credit

Icon by Tay