the Rift

I follow rivers

Calder Posts: 23
Absent Abyss atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1hh :: 6 (Birdsong) HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Kiki
<style type="text/css">.container {position: relative;z-index: 1;width: 640px;background: #000000;border: 1px solid #000000;}.container p {margin: 0;}.image {position: relative;z-index: 2;width: 640px;margin-bottom: -100px;}.gradient {position: absolute;z-index: 5;top: 295px;width: 640px;height: 100px;background: -moz-linear-gradient(top, rgba(0,0,0,0) 0%, rgba(0,0,0,1) 100%);background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(0%,rgba(0,0,0,0)), color-stop(100%,rgba(0,0,0,1)));background: -webkit-linear-gradient(top, rgba(0,0,0,0) 0%,rgba(0,0,0,1) 100%);background: -o-linear-gradient(top, rgba(0,0,0,0) 0%,rgba(0,0,0,1) 100%);background: -ms-linear-gradient(top, rgba(0,0,0,0) 0%,rgba(0,0,0,1) 100%);background: linear-gradient(to bottom, rgba(0,0,0,0) 0%,rgba(0,0,0,1) 100%);filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient( startColorstr='#000000', endColorstr='#000000',GradientType=0 );}.messageboxgradient {position: relative;z-index: 10;width: 530px;height: 100px;background: -moz-linear-gradient(top, rgba(132,161,153,0) 0%, rgba(132,161,153,0.5) 100%);background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(0%,rgba(132,161,153,0)), color-stop(100%,rgba(132,161,153,0.5)));background: -webkit-linear-gradient(top, rgba(132,161,153,0) 0%,rgba(132,161,153,0.5) 100%);background: -o-linear-gradient(top, rgba(132,161,153,0) 0%,rgba(132,161,153,0.5) 100%);background: -ms-linear-gradient(top, rgba(132,161,153,0) 0%,rgba(132,161,153,0.5) 100%);background: linear-gradient(to bottom, rgba(132,161,153,0) 0%,rgba(132,161,153,0.5) 100%);filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient( startColorstr='#0084a19a', endColorstr='#9984a19a',GradientType=0 );}.message {position: relative;z-index: 10;width: 500px;background: rgba(132,161,153,0.5);text-align: justify;font: 12px 'Times New Roman', serif;padding: 10px 15px 0px 15px;color: #1a3029;}.name {position: relative;z-index: 20;color: #6c8776;font: 28px 'Julius Sans One', sans-serif;text-align: center;padding-top: 5px;padding-right: 50px;}.quote {position: relative;z-index: 20;top: -5px;font: 12px 'Times New Roman', serif;color: #1a3029;text-align: center;font-style: italic;padding-left: 50px;}</style>
It had been a long few months for the dappled stallion. The rains of spring had, quite literally, washed his herd from the face of the earth. He did not know who amongst them lived and who perished under the crushing avalanche of earth. The stallion let out a small huff as he walked, stepping carefully over fallen logs and twisted branches. He did not spend many days searching for his herd for the simple reason of safety. The mountain was unstable and angry. He had to do something.

So he made the decision to follow the river that had once been so integral to his herd’s way of life. He would follow the river until he found something for he had no doubt that this river represented life in some way. And it was time for him to find his.

As he walked, he was careful not to jostle his head around too much. For Calder had picked up passengers during his descent. Two of the otters that had lived in close association with what had once been his family. It seemed that they had lost many of their own as well – swept away by the raging current. The creatures clung to the safety of his antlers, and he carried them without question or thought. He remained close to the riverbank and never allowed himself to stray far enough where he would be out of earshot of the river. The sound of the water rushing over the rocks was comforting to the strange trio of creatures. They walked for countless miles, following the path that the river carved through the landscape. But they soon reached the point where the river began to break apart – feeding into smaller streams.

It was at one of these junctions that Calder bid farewell to his friends, the otters, for they encountered others of their kind on a warm afternoon. The stallion lowered his head to the level of the water and allowed them to slip from his antlers back into the comfort of the stream. He offered them a little bow before continuing on his journey – hoping that they found a new start with their kind as he continued to search for his own.

He was truly alone now.

Soon the stream that he had been so dutifully following for months began to narrow to a mere trickle. Before long, there was nothing but a dry stream bed – parched from the stifling heat of Tallsun. Calder was not a creature built for such temperatures. He spent the heat of the day moving from shadow to shadow and traveled as far as he could at dawn and dusk. Eventually, he made the decision to abandon the dry stream bed and continued west – the direction the river would have followed.

---

It was many miles and many days before life again stirred around him. The trees grew taller, thicker, and healthier. There was some sense of moisture in the air. And somewhere Calder could both hear and smell water. Upon finding the small stream, the stallion did not hesitate before stepping into the cooling waters. The water only reached his knees but seemed to breathe new life into the stallion. After a long drink he raised his head once more, looking out upon this strange land, and wondered what else he had stumbled upon.

Calder

hold back the river so i can stop a minute and be by your side

Image Credit || HTML by Kyra || Tags:
[OOC: Sorry in advance for the novel. Too much backstory. :X]
Please tag Calder in all posts.
Force & magic are permitted but please check before inflicting severe and/or permanent damage.
Pixel by Sourful

Elsa the Icebound Posts: 644
World's Edge Protector atk: 6 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16.2 Hands :: Six (Frostfall) HP: 73 | Buff: BULK
Edgar :: Plain Zephyr :: Arctic & Wakiya Klare

Elsa
My head's underwater, but i'm breathing fine.
The odd state of things had led her back to the Threshold once again. Many a person disappearing here and there had unsettled her. Had they just gone off to do other business? Either way, she wasn't going to stop her daily hobby of perusing through the Threshold. That was the one place that liked to stay stable, yet different at the same time. The tall towering pines always welcomed her, no matter what the season. From each Tallsun to the next, they would stand unwavering and strong. A silent friend, and encouraging shoulder for her. Continuing south from the Falls, the trees had quickly consumed her. Thank the Gods that it was such a short walk from the Falls to this place. She couldn't imagine trekking over half the land to get here. It was exhausting enough just getting down here in the heat of the sun.

The shadows had eventually thickened, hiding her temporarily from the burning rays. A sheen of sweat had dewed over her coat, making her look rather pathetic in her current state. The snow that fell around her could at least give the appearance that it was the snow that had caused her to become damp rather than from exertion. A nearby dip in a stream would do the trick, many a creek and stream divided up the land. It should be easy to find her respite.

Although, she was entertained with quite a surprise when she approached the nearest creek bed. Well, it wasn't really a creek, it was a mixture of creek and stream. A Cream? Either way, she was far more interested in the being that had waded into it. There before her was a large stallion, compared to most. Although he wouldn't tower over her, she knew that she was quite large to some equines, and therefore, he must seem like goliath. Elsa let out a soft snort of recognition, cautiously wading into the water a few feet downstream from where he was standing. Better to hold a conversation now, right? "Hello there sir," she began, her voice bright and cheery. "My name is Elsa, have you come to find refuge within Helovia this day?" That was a better, more proper line. So often those who arrived had no intention of talking, so she would leave it to him for introductions. Then, if he seemed well enough, offer him an invitation to join the Falls.

@[Calder]

code © tamme, picture © chan
  • Any force can be used against Elsa.
  • Please tag any posts that involves Elsa.

Kiki
<style type="text/css">.container {position: relative;z-index: 1;width: 640px;background: #000000;border: 1px solid #000000;}.container p {margin: 0;}.image {position: relative;z-index: 2;width: 640px;margin-bottom: -100px;}.gradient {position: absolute;z-index: 5;top: 295px;width: 640px;height: 100px;background: -moz-linear-gradient(top, rgba(0,0,0,0) 0%, rgba(0,0,0,1) 100%);background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(0%,rgba(0,0,0,0)), color-stop(100%,rgba(0,0,0,1)));background: -webkit-linear-gradient(top, rgba(0,0,0,0) 0%,rgba(0,0,0,1) 100%);background: -o-linear-gradient(top, rgba(0,0,0,0) 0%,rgba(0,0,0,1) 100%);background: -ms-linear-gradient(top, rgba(0,0,0,0) 0%,rgba(0,0,0,1) 100%);background: linear-gradient(to bottom, rgba(0,0,0,0) 0%,rgba(0,0,0,1) 100%);filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient( startColorstr='#000000', endColorstr='#000000',GradientType=0 );}.messageboxgradient {position: relative;z-index: 10;width: 530px;height: 100px;background: -moz-linear-gradient(top, rgba(132,161,153,0) 0%, rgba(132,161,153,0.5) 100%);background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(0%,rgba(132,161,153,0)), color-stop(100%,rgba(132,161,153,0.5)));background: -webkit-linear-gradient(top, rgba(132,161,153,0) 0%,rgba(132,161,153,0.5) 100%);background: -o-linear-gradient(top, rgba(132,161,153,0) 0%,rgba(132,161,153,0.5) 100%);background: -ms-linear-gradient(top, rgba(132,161,153,0) 0%,rgba(132,161,153,0.5) 100%);background: linear-gradient(to bottom, rgba(132,161,153,0) 0%,rgba(132,161,153,0.5) 100%);filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient( startColorstr='#0084a19a', endColorstr='#9984a19a',GradientType=0 );}.message {position: relative;z-index: 10;width: 500px;background: rgba(132,161,153,0.5);text-align: justify;font: 12px 'Times New Roman', serif;padding: 10px 15px 0px 15px;color: #1a3029;}.name {position: relative;z-index: 20;color: #6c8776;font: 28px 'Julius Sans One', sans-serif;text-align: center;padding-top: 5px;padding-right: 50px;}.quote {position: relative;z-index: 20;top: -5px;font: 12px 'Times New Roman', serif;color: #1a3029;text-align: center;font-style: italic;padding-left: 50px;}</style>
The water seemed to wash away some of the hardships of the past few months. Even though the current was relatively weak and the water was shallow, it still caused memories of his life on the mountain to brew and swirl in the depths of his mind. Calder didn’t allow his mind to wander too far – the air here was ripe with the scent with other equines and he did not want to miss the opportunity for finding others of his kind. Yet, for the time being, he contented himself with watching as his forelegs disrupted the natural flow of the water before catching motion out of the corner of his eye.

The stallion raised his large, horned head to find that there were, in fact, other equines in this strange land. But he had never seen a creature like her before. Calder was careful to guard his reaction – the last thing he wanted to do was have his surprise misconstrued for something more sister. He certainly meant no offense. His features remain in a neutral mask though he tries to make sense of what he sees. Of course pegasi had visited his herd during their migrations on rare occasions, but never one like her. Never one who looked like she was a descendant of mother winter herself. He had been raised around others exclusively of his kind and before the disaster on the mountainside he had never left his homeland. But Calder was an inherently polite creature and responded as soon as the snow woman set foot into the stream.

“Aye,” the dappled stallion replies with a dip of his head in greeting, “I suppose I have.”

Helovia. The name of this place is unfamiliar to him, but it matters little to him in the end. There is life here. There is a life to be had here.

“I’m Calder,” he offers, in that gravely voice of his. “It is good to finally set eyes on another.” He alludes to the length of his journey, but does not elaborate. Instead, he directs his attentions to the present – to this place…and to this woman who has stumbled upon him.

“Have you always lived in this place?” He asks, acutely aware that he may be prying. He’s very much a stranger in a strange land.

Calder

Image Credit || HTML by Kyra || Tags: @[Elsa]
OOC: Sorry for the delay. I had the workweek from hell. D:
Force & magic are permitted but please check before inflicting severe and/or permanent damage.
Pixel by Sourful

Waprevah Posts: 26
Hidden Account atk: 6.5 | def: 10.0 | dam: 3.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.1 :: 4 HP: 60.0 | Buff: NOVICE
TheIceViking
Waprevah
“And if another of his kind comes knocking on your door, will you open it?"

I have always enjoyed the trees. They know my secrets and decide not to spill them for the world to hear, though I don't fear that. It is just more convenient to keep certain things to myself.

My ears flicker forward when I hear birds chirping and hopping from tree to tree. I can feel my mouth mometarily filll with saliva as thoughts fill my mind. I smile when a memory from recent events play in my mind. The irony taste of the red liquid is like extacy. I would be good for a while, though I would never turn down an opportunity to experiance the euphoria.

I can hear their voices before their scent reaches my nose. I believe I had gone quite deep in my imagination and forgot about reality. My ears perk up and I listen, I can hear them clearly so they must be close. After walking for a bit I spot them, a mare and a stallion. My brown body should fit in well with the surrounding trees, though I wonder if my mane will draw attention, though its paleness most likely fits in quite well. I hear exchanges of names and decide to relieve myself. It would be waste of time to return to Aurora Basin empty handed, might as well try to haul a piece of meat with me.

Though my skull might be quite indimidating and the necklace around my neck not the ... sweetest one, my expression is sweet. I push forward a calm and caring smile and keep my gaze relaxed and warm, though its only a cover over the ice that lays underneath.

I step forward and come to a halt close to them. After listening to their exhange of words I realise which is new here. My gaze turns towards the stallion and with a smile and a welcoming tone I speak.

"Well hello there handsome, Calder was it?" I ask with a tilt of my head. "My name is Waprevah, I come from Aurora Basin, in the north." I add with a smile, not to answer his question (which was not directed at me to begin with), mainly to make myself more decorative. I do not carry any fancy title to flash around, though I believe stating my new home is acceptable.

@[Calder] @[Elsa]

speech
Image Credit
Please tag Wappy in all replies <3
[Image: 6dbd477f6a4a31a0de8712698f20429a-d8dbyo6.png]

“The ones who are insane enough to think that they can rule the world are always the ones who do.”

Elsa
Turning a flickering ear, it was calming to hear his voice. There was no malice, not hate, just what seemed like pure innocent answers. For a moment, Elsa felt at peace. She was comfortable wading in the waters, not having to fear about all the little things. A polite, and meaningful smile settled upon her face as the questions began to blow through her own mind. By his words, it seems that he had been alone for quite a long time. That was always an unfortunate story. Even with her terrible luck of making friends, and living in any place, she still could not imagine roaming alone. The question directed at her, however, was quite unnatural. Most were not interested in what she had experienced, but rather her offers and what she could do for them. He was not blatantly greedy, at least that was a start.

Another approached however, and Elsa turned in the water. Looking up at the unicorn mare, her fears were only confirmed by her words. It seems that the Basin could not leave any unicorn alone. Those with a horn here seemed to be suffocated by them. It was like they had a tracker or something. She nodded politely, Elsa waited until the mare finished to respond to Calder's question. Of course, Elsa's name was irrelevant to this Waprevah gal. "It is quite the pleasure to meet you Calder." Her voice was bright, cheery, and generally friendly. "I have lived here for about two years now. I arrived when I just reached maturity. If you wanna know, I was run out of my old home due to "political changes" they were making. I was apparently not what they wanted." Elsa winked in hopes of lightening the mood a bit. She was never the one to purposely kill any positive associated mood, but she was not the one to lie either. "I am currently Mason of the Hidden Falls, just north of here. They're quite beautiful. I'm the live in crafter, so to speak. The God of Earth protects us." That was nice, and not too straightforward. "Of course you are always welcome there, should you wish to come. Even if you do not, I'd love to speak with you again sometime later when you are settled. I like making sure those who get here remain safe." Okay, so the last of her words may have been a tad bit passive aggressive towards the Basin mare, but it was all in good fun. No one was ever perfectly unbiased in the first place. "I am assuming miss Waprevah has a similar offer, if I am not mistaken?" Elsa nodded her cream head towards Calder as if offering her the spotlight. She would not interrupt, so long as what she told was the truth. Mudslinging was no way to play the game of recruitment, no matter how tempting.

@[Calder]

Kiki
Calder can feel the pebbles, silt, and smooth river stones under his hooves as he shifts his weight from one leg to the other. Its almost as if the earth itself seeks to anchor him in this new place even though all around him is moving and changing. As soon as the question directed towards Elsa seems to leave his lips, motion again catches his attention.

Another strange creature steps from the shelter of the trees – this one a creature dressed in bones. She was more similar to Calder in terms of looks, but the skull certainly set her apart. He wondered if it was a personal choice or if there was an entire herd of skull-adorned unicorns in this place. Perhaps the whole land was just a mish-mash of outsiders. Clearly he had much to learn about this place called Helovia. Assumptions were not going to get him far in this land. It was clear that what he knew and what he was familiar with was not going to translate here. He was on his own. Whatever culture was significant to him would be his responsibility to reinvent in this place, but he simply couldn’t assume that anything from his past would be at all important here. As she drew to a halt, Calder dipped his head in greeting to the unicorn mare.

“It is good to meet you as well, Waprevah.” At her mention of the north, he turns his gaze (instinctually) towards he north, which is unfortunately obscured by the tall trees. He wonders if they, too, have mountains like his homeland here.

His blue eyes then flick back to Elsa as she goes on to describe the circumstances that brought her to this place as well as her home here in this land. He remains quiet as she speaks, but the side of his mouth quirks up into a crooked smile at her wink. He commits the highlights of what she describes to memory. Hidden Falls. Mason. Crafter. God of Earth. A place. A title. A role. A deity. Yes, Calder. You have so much to learn. Calder’s people were one that put great value in the Earth. Perhaps living near to the Deity would be a good change for the dappled stallion.

“I used to live on a mountain with others of my kind, but our home was compromised a rough winter and spring floods. I came seeking a new place. A safer place.” Though his reply is in response to Elsa, he makes sure that his words and his gaze is directed to both the snowy pegasus as well as the unicorn mare cased in bone. He turns back to Elsa before continuing. “I appreciate you telling me of your home and the offer to join you. Regardless of where I decide to reside I will certainly take you up on your offer to talk in the future.” The appreciation is evident in the gravely voice. For someone who has nothing, the opportunity to have a home and a future is quite overwhelming. However, Calder is wary of this place and wants to ensure he has some idea of what this world is like before committing to anything. Perhaps it is self-preservation. Perhaps it is something more akin to fear or uncertainty. The normally impulsive minded stallion finds rationality is screaming in the back of his head for caution.

“What about you, Waprevah? What is your Aurora Basin like?” he asks, turning to the mare with questions in his eyes.

Calder

Image Credit || HTML by Kyra || Tags: @[Waprevah] @[Elsa]
Pixel by Sourful

Waprevah Posts: 26
Hidden Account atk: 6.5 | def: 10.0 | dam: 3.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.1 :: 4 HP: 60.0 | Buff: NOVICE
TheIceViking
Waprevah
“And if another of his kind comes knocking on your door, will you open it?"

I dip my head in return when the stallion greets me. I keep my expression quite neutral, I don't want to seem creepy with smiling too much but don't want to seem disinterested either. Social manipulation has never been a problem for me though, I like to look at it as a gift, though some may see it as a curse. My ears are pricked forward while I listen to the lightly coloured maiden speak. It took a bit of effort to resist a snort. This mare did not seem shy about sharing a few personal points. I know I would keep away from voicing my own past. No need to share the grizzly details of my years in the forest, walking on the ashes of my ancestors and listening to my father ramble. Might not seem so awful, but there is more to the story than that. I can see my own smirk in my mind though I won't allow it to shine through.

I listen as the two share a few words, each of those words forever imprinted in my mind in storage, to be used later perhaps if needed. The information though doesn't seem too useful, but one can never be too observant.

I smile kindly when Calder speaks of his previous home, mentioning mountains. The Basin might be quite cold but it was safe, and a safe place is what this stallion is seeking. It would be easy enough to offer him safety. I am not sure why I feel it is important to “win” the stallion to my side, I guess it is my own pride trying to shine through. Seeing as I have never been known to participate much in the herd life I was taking my first steps. Though to be a decent soul I should not look at this as a victory, he is merely seeking a home, not to be a part of a silly mind game. Though if it were a game … maybe he preferred to stay inside his comfort zone and wanted to live in a mountainy area … just saying. I shrug at the thought and my icey gaze focuses on Calder when he speaks, his words directed towards me in a question.

I have been a resident in Aurora Basin for some time now and it has been quite enjoyable,” I say with a soft and a tiny bit cheery voice, a smile licks my lips for further emphasis. “Like I mentioned before, Aurora Basin is located in the north, it might bring you nostalgia to hear there are mountains. It provides plenty of safety in caves around the land, where you can rest if needed. There is a lake that never freezes so you will not have fear thirst. The land is protected by the God of Time. You will also enjoy the company of many others of your own kind” I say with a smile as my eyes shift to the antlers sprouting from his skull. It had not taken me a long time to realise that only those who shared the physical aspects of unicorns roamed the land. “I might add that the land is quite extraordinary if I say so myself, nothing like I had ever laid eyes upon until my arrival,” I say truthfully. The colorful aurora had been a first for me, it had blown my mind once the sun set and the colors took over the sky.

@[Calder] @[Elsa]

speech
word count: 551 words
Image Credit
Please tag Wappy in all replies <3
[Image: 6dbd477f6a4a31a0de8712698f20429a-d8dbyo6.png]

“The ones who are insane enough to think that they can rule the world are always the ones who do.”

Elsa
Calder's acceptance of her offer put Elsa at ease. The worst thing that could happen is to send Calder away to a place he did not want to be. Meeting up with him could give him the chance to get away should he find any of his residences unsatisfactory. Flickering an ear towards Waprevah, Elsa listened intently to her little spiel. As much as she did not want to admit it, the Basin did seem nice. They had the snow that she lived with all the time, and even now in fact. Absentmindedly Elsa reached her nose up to one of the flakes that fluttered down past her muzzle, smiling quietly to herself. To bad they did not accept pegasus', because Elsa would have been to that tundra in a hurry. It was the only permanent residence that offered nice, cool weather all year round. Winter being the best, of course.

As Waprevah finished, Elsa nodded to her and smiled. She was the most passive of the Basin recruiters she had seen. Most were not fond of Elsa's presence when she was in company of a unicorn. "Of course Calder, the decision is yours." She smiled brightly, truth blanketing her voice. "Do not feel bad if you choose the Basin, I can attest that the North is a place I would favor also.." Her voice faded out then. If they would let me. Edgar flew from the branches then, landing upon her poll with unequivocal grace. Elsa had a feeling that Edgar would be her only companion home on this day. She stuck around though, just incase the nice man decided he's rather live in the humidity-filled Falls.

@[Calder]
[Sorry for the short post! Elsa didn't have much to say. :3]

Kiki
He struggled, somewhat, to create images based on their descriptions. He had very little in terms of reference material when it came to imagining what these new places could possibly look like. For the vast majority of his life, Calder’s life had been constant – only changing as expected with the seasons.

Everything had changed over the last year.

It was unheard of for any of his kind to leave the security of their ancient mountain homeland. He had little doubt that even after the mudslide what remained of his herd was struggling to rebuild on earth-scarred mountain. He assumed that they all presumed him dead by now, just as he had no idea who amongst his herd had lived and who had died.

His immediate thought that day had been to flee, not to stay. And that impulse – that instinct…that’s what made him so different from the others. But in the end, it may just be his salvation.

Waprevah goes on to describe her home, just as Elsa had, and Calder gives her his full attention as she does. Mountains. Safety. Never freezes. God of Time. He is intrigued by the last two points. Would this place be protected from a disaster like the one that extinguished his former life? He also finds himself intrigued by this deity who controls time. His people had been one in tune to the earth and the water. It was all he had ever known. But there seemed so many possibilities here.

But what was he to do in the face of these possibilities? Should he commit himself to the lands that brought him closer to the earth? Or should he seek the comfort in the mountains where an unfamiliar God reigned? He felt the decision had split him between mind and heart. His mind pulled him towards the earth while his heart called for the mountains.

His gaze flickers between the two – and he knows that they must sense his indecision. This choice is not one best made on impulse.

“I think my heart lies in the mountains. I’d like to see this Aurora Basin.” He directs his statement towards the unicorn mare, offering her a small smile, before returning his attention to the ice-mare.

“I hope to run into you soon, Elsa. And thank you, again, for your offer.” He dips his head again in a gesture of genuine appreciation. He had been lucky to been well met in this strange land, and considers himself to be very lucky.

Calder

Image Credit || HTML by Kyra || Tags: @[Waprevah] @[Elsa]
[ooc: finally! -_-;]
Pixel by Sourful