the Rift

Postcards [Lena to Ink]

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu
Hello northerner, how is the ice and snow?
It helps to have a horn, I'm sure :3

With such a weapon you seem like you ought to be built for war, especially given your bloodline.
Blood doesn't hold you together though, does it? In your case water or ice, just might be thicker.

Anyway I'm thinking of sending you a care package, so do you like scones?

AB: 0/3
DT: 0/3
WE: 0/4
Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Abraham Posts: 113
Absent Abyss atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 17.3 hh :: Three years HP: 71 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwyneverre :: Plain White Dragon :: Fire Breath & Brienne :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Frost Breath Time
Abraham protects himself.

Hello northerner, how is the ice and snow? -- Loves the north, just won a dragon drop in the north.
It helps to have a horn, I'm sure :3 -- Uniequine hybrid

With such a weapon you seem like you ought to be built for war, especially given your bloodline. -- Dragons, horn, son of Archibald and Circe.
Blood doesn't hold you together though, does it? In your case water or ice, just might be thicker. -- Isn't gaining rank in the Throat like his brother, doesn't live in the Edge with his father.

Holy water cannot help you now
Thousand armies couldn't keep me out
I don't want your money
I don't want your crown
See I've come to burn your kingdom down

pixel by tamme

Hidden Account
Blu
Safe

Deimos the Reaper Posts: 527
Deceased atk: 7.0 | def: 12 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 72.5 | Buff: NUMB
Heather
Deimos blocks Rhea.

Hello northerner, how is the ice and snow? - Lives in the Basin.
It helps to have a horn, I'm sure :3 - Hybrid (unipeg, has a horn)

With such a weapon you seem like you ought to be built for war, especially given your bloodline. - Breed reference.
Blood doesn't hold you together though, does it? - History ref (resented by parents)
In your case water or ice, just might be thicker. - Magic reference.

Anyway I'm thinking of sending you a care package, so do you like scones? - Name Ref - Rhea Family Scones

Hidden Account
Blu
Safe
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme
Ophelia blocks Torleik

Hello northerner, how is the ice and snow? ---> Basin
It helps to have a horn, I'm sure :3 ---> Unicorn

With such a weapon you seem like you ought to be built for war, especially given your bloodline. ---> His home boasted many seafaring and warrior unicorns, of which Torleik is both.
Blood doesn't hold you together though, does it? In your case water or ice, just might be thicker. ---> "as far as Torleik knows, leaving no survivors save himself. " However Bolv and Ulrik are known
Has water/ice magic

Anyway I'm thinking of sending you a care package, so do you like scones? ---> OPHELIA IS TASTY??? I DUNNO

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Odd the doer of things Posts: 115
Administrator atk: 23 | def: 42 | dam: 108
Mare :: Other :: 5"2 :: 27 HP: 108 | Buff: badass
Odd
Gaucho watches over Sikeax.

Hello northerner, how is the ice and snow? - Was born in Frostfall and says she lived in the Frozen Arch
It helps to have a horn, I'm sure :3 - Unicorn

With such a weapon you seem like you ought to be built for war, especially given your bloodline. - Daughter of Adrixaura and Roy
Blood doesn't hold you together though, does it? In your case water or ice, just might be thicker. - Can breathe underwater. Says she prefers the snow.

Anyway I'm thinking of sending you a care package, so do you like scones? Care package could be a reference to her rank magic as healer. Scone ref to her colour.

Hidden Account
Blu
Both safe.

Ink is surprised the throat feels the need to defend an allied stealth!

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time
Archibald blocks Isopia.

Hello northerner, how is the ice and snow? -- World's Edge is in the north.
It helps to have a horn, I'm sure :3 -- Has four horns.

With such a weapon you seem like you ought to be built for war, especially given your bloodline. -- Earth God is her father and largest of the gods/"war breed" according to stats because of draft-ness.
Blood doesn't hold you together though, does it? In your case water or ice, just might be thicker. -- She doesn't really care about her blood relations. She has water magic.

Anyway I'm thinking of sending you a care package, so do you like scones? -- Color reference.

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

Hidden Account
Blu
Safe.

Ink is similarly surprised the Edge feels the need to protect an allied stealth.
Ascended Helovian

From the Basin
is a hybrid unicorn

With such a weapon you seem like you ought to be built for war, especially given your bloodline.
---> Paladin was a warlord and nominated as such; also red markings in the bloodline

Blood doesn't hold you together though, does it? In your case water or ice, just might be thicker.
---> She and Ktu live in opposite herds, and her family is dead/dying
---> has a frozen heart
---> Torleik has water? Dunno

NO BLU I HATE SCONES AND THIS CLUE WHY DO U DO DIS?
I dunno. She's white.

Ophelia blocks herself.

I would like to note too that we have Roland's extra guess and would like to use it next if this fails. Ty!!!

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.

Hidden Account
Blu
Tch, safe. Way to burn the midnight oil Basiners.

AB: 3/4
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia blocks Huyana using Roland's exxtra

---> IN the Basin
---> Unicorn

---> Nepdon bloodline

---> Can control the density of her body/water etc so like water/ice density

---> those darn British Imperialists and creators of scones brutally took over the Native Americans of which Huyana's name has its origin.

^^^^ SUCH a stretch

Hidden Account
Blu
Safe.

LENA WAS SOUGHT

Hello northerner, how is the ice and snow? :: Herd ref - Aurora Basin is in northern Helovia and is full of ice and snow being a tundra habitat "Year round, the land is covered in permafrost".
It helps to have a horn, I'm sure :3 :: Species ref - Lena is a unicorn

With such a weapon you seem like you ought to be built for war, especially given your bloodline. :: Breed ref - Lena is an Andalusian, a breed specifically designed for purposes of war. From wikipedia, one of the first results to come up when searched "Throughout its history, [the Andalusian] has been known for its prowess as a war horse, and was prized by the nobility." Also from Helovia's stats spreadsheet explanation "24 base reserved for battle breeds (warmblood, draft, andalusian)". "Built" was a hint this was about her breed, which is often considered a horse's build, as was "bloodline".
Blood doesn't hold you together though, does it? In your case water or ice, just might be thicker. :: Lineage/History ref - A common phrase is "blood is thicker than water" which implies family comes before friends, so the "blood" here is referring to her family, for which Lena has none onsite, including no children despite her long term status onsite. The "water" from the phrase is the Basin, whom she's been loyal to her entire time onsite (since its foundation), hence the mention of ice once again, which is a form of water.

Anyway I'm thinking of sending you a care package, so do you like scones? :: Rank ref - Lena is a healer in the Basin, hence a care package, as she routinely cares for others as her duty. "The CARE Package was the original unit of aid distributed by the humanitarian organization CARE (Cooperative for Assistance and Relief Everywhere)." & "a gift of treats to relatives or friends, especially of items not readily available to them" Lena often trades herbs with the other herds, which also leads to the scone reference. "The scone is a basic component of the cream tea or Devonshire tea. It differs from a teacake and other sweet buns, which are made with yeast." Scones are well known to be eaten alongside tea, which is a beverage made from herbs. Essentially the notion of the word care, a care package, and herbs paired with scones ties into her healer rank.

Hidden Account
Blu
Omg sorry I should have spaced that out more @.@

Sevin the Sucky, I mean are you a # or vacuum? Posts: 161
OOC Account
Mare :: Other :: 5'5" :: 25
Sevin
Hello northerner, how is the ice and snow? :: Herd ref - Aurora Basin is in northern Helovia and is full of ice and snow being a tundra habitat "Year round, the land is covered in permafrost".

+1| Herd ref, seemed pretty clear to me

+1| Species ref, obvious enough

With such a weapon you seem like you ought to be built for war, especially given your bloodline. :: Breed ref - Lena is an Andalusian, a breed specifically designed for purposes of war. From wikipedia, one of the first results to come up when searched "Throughout its history, [the Andalusian] has been known for its prowess as a war horse, and was prized by the nobility." Also from Helovia's stats spreadsheet explanation "24 base reserved for battle breeds (warmblood, draft, andalusian)". "Built" was a hint this was about her breed, which is often considered a horse's build, as was "bloodline".

+1| Breed ref, this makes sense to me. Great clue!

Blood doesn't hold you together though, does it? In your case water or ice, just might be thicker. :: Lineage/History ref - A common phrase is "blood is thicker than water" which implies family comes before friends, so the "blood" here is referring to her family, for which Lena has none onsite, including no children despite her long term status onsite. The "water" from the phrase is the Basin, whom she's been loyal to her entire time onsite (since its foundation), hence the mention of ice once again, which is a form of water.

+1| History ref, this was actually really cool. Great way to twist a common phrase around to make this clue!

Anyway I'm thinking of sending you a care package, so do you like scones? :: Rank ref - Lena is a healer in the Basin, hence a care package, as she routinely cares for others as her duty. "The CARE Package was the original unit of aid distributed by the humanitarian organization CARE (Cooperative for Assistance and Relief Everywhere)." & "a gift of treats to relatives or friends, especially of items not readily available to them" Lena often trades herbs with the other herds, which also leads to the scone reference. "The scone is a basic component of the cream tea or Devonshire tea. It differs from a teacake and other sweet buns, which are made with yeast." Scones are well known to be eaten alongside tea, which is a beverage made from herbs. Essentially the notion of the word care, a care package, and herbs paired with scones ties into her healer rank.

+1| Rank ref, I still don't think I understand the scone part that much, but the care package part was really clever. Good job!

5/3- Pass!

Odd the doer of things Posts: 115
Administrator atk: 23 | def: 42 | dam: 108
Mare :: Other :: 5"2 :: 27 HP: 108 | Buff: badass
Odd
Hello northerner, how is the ice and snow? :: Herd ref - Aurora Basin is in northern Helovia and is full of ice and snow being a tundra habitat
+1| I think everyone did get this one.

"Year round, the land is covered in permafrost".
+1 Yep.

-1| I really like the mention about Helovia's stats, but 'built' makes me think literally of Lena's build (as opposed to the more general, 'someone like you ought to be built for war'), whereas 'bloodline' makes me think if HER heritage.
Built: Lena's profile states that she is a 'slender, lithe Andalusian build'
Bloodline: a set of ancestors or line of descent of a person. Neither of Lena's parents were warriors as far as I can tell from her profile. If you had left off "especially given your bloodline" this might have passed for me, because it IS true that Lena's breed 'ought to be built for war', as you explicitly say. But the especially is ultimately what made this misleading for me.

+1| This was really hard for me, I stared at it for probably 10 minutes. Water really threw me off here at first, because the Basin has very little water. Or at least, when you think of the Basin you think of ice, and not water. So I thought the addition of 'water' was meant to reference magic or something. BUT, you do give them both - 'water or ice might just be thicker'.

Then I was hung up on the wording - Blood doesn't hold you together - yes, yes it does; I was imagining a character like Ayelet who literally wasn't held together by blood, or an immortal or something. Other translations of this quote are, Kin-blood is not spoilt by water, and For naturally blood will be of kind / Drawn-to blood, where he may it find. There's nothing to suggest that the metaphor is meant to say that you are held together by your important relationships, just that you put them first. BUT I think most understood what this clue was getting at, especially since you kept both of the important aspects of the phrase 'blood' and 'water' (which resolved my earlier confusion at the addition of water). So this one actually came together rather well for me. The water made me confused in a good way, and once I got the explanation it made perfect sense why you had to keep both. I still don't like the wording, but I did know what it was you meant.

0| This is getting a 0 from me - basically a +1, -1. Care package is spot on .I had originally been thinking you send a prisoner a care package, but the explanation here makes a lot of sense to me. And it is true that Lena gives away herbs often. However the scone reference for me was very misleading. What does it matter if scones go with tea? Lots of other things go with tea as well. There was nothing to tie together 'hmm, this type of food' with, 'ah! A drink made out of herbs!' 'herbs=healer'. The care package has nothing specifically to do with tea. I could see if it said 'herb scones' or something to tie it in with the carepackage, but this made me think it was supposed to be a colour reference or something like that. I would have preferred if you had said "So do you like tea" instead.

That's 2/3 from me, so a fail.

Whit Posts: 2
OOC Account
Filly :: Other :: 5'7" :: 28
Whit
+1 | I think everyone got this, perfect clear reference.

+1 | Again, obvious. Perfect.

0 | +1 for the first half, breed reference. But -1 for the second half, as I feel bloodline does directly ask for a clue about her parents or lineage, who, based on her profile, don't really have anything to do with war.Removing the 'especially' and making it, 'just look at your bloodline' might have softened this enough to get a +1.

+1 | I think this is a great, creative clue.

0 | Again, a +1/-1 line for me. The care package part I get, but the scones explanation is a bit too convoluted for me.

TOTAL: 3/3 = PASS

Tamme the Tempting Posts: 140
Administrator
Mare :: Other :: 2 :: 2 HP: 9001 | Buff: Admin
Tamme
@[Lena] has been stolen by @[Ink]
Because Archibald has already posted, this does not affect anything until AFTER the invasion!