the Rift

[PRIVATE] Find Your Mark

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd
the girl.

The girl nodded in response. She approved that he referred to his abilities as a gift, as if subconsciously acknowledging that it was not always his to begin with. The girl thought that fitting. Too much of Helovia was founded on self important entitlement, that it was refreshing to encounter someone who saw through the veil of misguided demands, and called his abilities what they were: gifts. But from whom? Her transformation magic was pure - a creation of the earth merely changing into another. Others she learned, whose bodies were not quite as intune with the world as hers, relied on shadows and light. Either her uncle, the God of the Sun, or her aunt, the Goddess of the Moon. So who was his benefactor?

Pulling her eyes away from the deer-like creature, she regarded the golden prince as he spoke. Her quad-horned head tilted in displeasure as she found his opening remarks quite condescending. That I am young makes no difference, she thought to herself while she tracked his words. Ageism didn't seem befitting of the creature who had regarded the Goddess of the Moon so eloquently before her banishment. It was then in the brief moment she contemplated their earlier encounter, than the girl decided who his benefactor must be. The Goddess. Interesting, but not so interesting as the argument he seemed to be giving.

Listening closer, the girl tried to formulate it. It seemed like he was saying the following: (1) There might not necessarily be an objective meaning to each word. Instead, 'meaning' is merely a consequent of how the word is interpreted, (2) Interpretations can be influenced or manipulated, and (3) The golden was a skilled manipulator. The girl didn't doubt 2 or 3, though she did think he was wrong about the first premise, regardless of her age.

"No you can't." She began, her cool golden gaze meeting his evenly and without fear. In fact, she was already very much enjoying this. She liked disagreement, at least when it was intellectually upheld. Those who were irrational and unwilling to engage were her were simply a bother. "If I point to a tree and say, That's a pretty big stick! you would probably know exactly when I intended to convey. But that doesn't suddenly make stick mean the same thing as tree. It just means you're a competent enough speaker that you have understood me. "

Yep, that sounded right to her. But there was still lingering doubt in her mind regarding the second thing he had said. I can make them good or bad for you. What did that mean? Could it be right? Goodness and badness...those were just concepts that we smear on the world. They didn't exist objectively. In the furniture of the world, when all was stripped away, there was no blob of goodness. No blob of badness. It was like when younglings saw spiders, and immediately screamed ewwwwwwwww! There was no inherent ewwww in the spider, just a smearing of dislike. That was all good and bad were - just a smearing of approval or disapproval.

Right?

"I agree that most can be easily manipulated.." She began, her eyes growing round and distant as she tried to speak and simultaneously continue to work out the argument. "..their emotions and ties to things make them blind to the reality of the world. But .. You can't make things good or bad for them. You can only make it appear good or bad. I suppose that's enough for manipulation ... nothing needs to be the case to convince someone that it is the case."

The girl was convinced that what she had said was right, and yet there was a lingering doubt within her. Was the silent prince correct in his earlier statement, that her age somehow mattered? She reflected on her previous days, when she had thought the world was one way and quickly learned that it was another. Was this one of those moments?

Did the gold know?

Image Credits

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

Messages In This Thread
Find Your Mark - by Thranduil - 03-31-2015, 06:27 PM
RE: Find Your Mark - by Isopia - 04-01-2015, 11:58 AM
RE: Find Your Mark - by Thranduil - 04-10-2015, 07:48 AM
RE: Find Your Mark - by Isopia - 04-16-2015, 04:10 PM
RE: Find Your Mark - by Thranduil - 04-19-2015, 03:36 PM
RE: Find Your Mark - by Isopia - 04-20-2015, 08:57 PM
RE: Find Your Mark - by Thranduil - 04-30-2015, 08:09 AM
RE: Find Your Mark - by Isopia - 05-16-2015, 02:01 PM