the Rift

Bring me to Life [Invasion - ROUND TWO]

Giselle Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Ultimate horror often paralyses
memory in a merciful way
- H.P. Lovecraft

It was all familiar. The hollering voices cutting through the late afternoon air, hooves trampling the ground and beating grasses into a soil moistened by recent rains. A golden sun stood low on the horizon and set the treetops ablaze, throwing our shadows long and terrifyingly distorted before our hooves - perhaps too low to blind the adversaries that trampled the border. How dare they? They should all disperse and scatter like rats before our might (although I had to admit, the ragtag group that sprawled among the forest edge didn't quite live up to the potential of what they could be) and submit to the noble supremacy that was our birthright.

Ears flattened against the stormy gray neck. My feet tested the earth beneath, listening to the sound of grass and tree roots that coursed beneath the surface and made it sound hollow. I listened to Mauja as he laid out the tactics while eyes pale as death stroked the shape of my idiot brother. How I longed to scar that velvet black coat with my horn, feel the flesh give away beneath my teeth and taste crimson blood upon the tongue. The very thought of it made me shiver from pleasure, an excitement not entirely healthy but oh, so sweet. I heard the instructions, but quickly discarded any intention of adhering to them. There would be plenty of goons to carry out of the orders. My goal had been determined from the very moment the blood-traitor appeared before my eyes.

A final glance along our own lines gave me another surprise. It was with a faint smirk over the lips I met the eyes of my little sister, noticing the hatred with which she looked at me; I laughed, amused by the strength of her feelings toward me. Later, Psyche, we can talk this out however much you want later. Now was a time for pain and bloodshed.

The battle cry of the King signaled the start of the charge, but rather than to rush along headfirst into the flank of the invading force I hung back until the first wave of soldiers had passed. Then I tossed the darkly masked head and snapped sharply at PSYCHE, my voice short and commanding as I took charge over her.
"Come on, sister. It's time we have a little talk with our beloved brother. Use the chaos of the first charge as cover and make your way to his other side, unnoticed if you can. I will draw his attention - mind his blood boil magic and don't be late!"

With that I set off. I could feel the legs trembling from blood-lust and excitement, but with the thoroughness fitting for a commander I tucked the hatred and all uncontrollable desires beneath the surface, restrained them and took up the chilly cool with which I always fought. There would be time for passion and adrenaline, but first I had to manage over to PALADIN. Black hooves increased the pace, from a fast walk into a steady trot. As I closed in on the enemy lines I mingled with the bodies of my allies and fell into a sharp canter, muscles tightly controlled as I slithered around the scattered trees with feline agility. White eyes were locked on the body of my idiot brother, took in the familiar shape of his body, the red mane that sprouted short and tainted with the red that was the sign of his nobility. I saw the rippling muscles beneath the ebony skin, the large areas of pink where skin was slowly healing after a massive wound. A burn perhaps? It mattered little, because it was a weakness I would be only too happy to exploit.

"PALADIN!" I screamed and initiated the charge with crimson tail flaring behind me like a crimson banner. Long legs carried my grullo body away from the shelter of my comrades, quickly closing the distance between me and the stallion I had chosen for the evenings dance. Muscles swelled beneath ashen skin as I lowered the head and angled the sleek white spear towards the ribcage of the Foothills leader, hind legs propelling me rapidly towards him with what could be a lethal force.

Of course I didn't count on it. He was well trained and would never allow anyone to spear him with such a blunt and direct attack. That wasn't the purpose either. I would draw his attention, give Psyche time to get to his other side - we had to surround him, because even though I had faith in my own strength, I had no wish to take the amount of injury that would come with defeating Paladin. Psyche would get to share that burden with me, whether she liked it or not.

[Word count: 796]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bring me to Life [Invasion - ROUND TWO] - by Lucius - 09-20-2012, 08:11 PM
RE: Bring me to Life [Invasion - ROUND TWO] - by Giselle - 09-21-2012, 10:57 AM
RE: Bring me to Life [Invasion - ROUND TWO] - by Ricciardo - 09-21-2012, 11:59 AM
RE: Bring me to Life [Invasion - ROUND TWO] - by Korra - 09-21-2012, 05:04 PM
RE: Bring me to Life [Invasion - ROUND TWO] - by Arabella - 09-21-2012, 07:39 PM
RE: Bring me to Life [Invasion - ROUND TWO] - by Ned - 09-21-2012, 10:12 PM
RE: Bring me to Life [Invasion - ROUND TWO] - by Lloyd - 09-22-2012, 09:21 AM
RE: Bring me to Life [Invasion - ROUND TWO] - by Jaydan - 09-23-2012, 02:18 AM
RE: Bring me to Life [Invasion - ROUND TWO] - by Monster - 09-23-2012, 11:40 AM
RE: Bring me to Life [Invasion - ROUND TWO] - by Aurelius - 09-23-2012, 11:56 AM
RE: Bring me to Life [Invasion - ROUND TWO] - by Cineviam - 09-23-2012, 05:39 PM