the Rift

[OPEN] Babe in the Woods

Ruairi Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

RUAIRI
The Directionally Challenged

I splay my wings wide and flat so that the tips of the farthest primary feathers are stretched as far from center as they can be, maximizing the surface area of my body, though my spindly forelegs are tucked neatly against my breast to reduce drag and the hinds trail out behind to act as rudders. The heat and humidity of Tallsun collides with the chill winds of the coming Frostfall beneath my wings and drives me upward without a single assistant wing-beat. This is why Orangemoon is my favorite season.

I spiral upward on the invisible vortex of clashing fronts until the air begins to thin with altitude and the currents lose their fierceness for battle. From this height I can look down across a huge expanse of forest that stretches far to the east, bordered on the north by snow-white peaks and on the south by cobalt-blue ocean sparkling with tide. It’s a beautiful landscape, but completely unfamiliar to me.

My heart begins to sink and my wings droop with it, starting me on a downward glide. I’ve never been this lost before. I thought heading in one direction would eventually bring me over something I’d seen before, anything even remotely familiar, but now the possibility that I’ve been going the wrong direction all day grips my mind and even the cool breeze breaking across my chest and slipping past my flanks won’t dry the nervous sweat from my skin.

I can’t decide what direction to try next so I dip my left wing and lean left to start banking in a wide oval, but my growing anxiety makes my movements jerky and my normally easy, graceful flight transforms into the disconnected floundering of a weanling. My body lists hard to the left and my right wing flares to slow and rebalance the awkward fishhook turn I’ve fumbled into. I catch myself and level out, but embarrassment burns hot beneath my skin. Did anyone see?

OOC: Open to anyone. :)

Tempe Posts: 39
Hidden Account
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 3 mo.
Haruki :: Common Kitsune :: Electric Lauren
T E M P E

I'd already left the Falls by the time I heard of the invasion, of the fighting behind me. Zahra was back there. The thought makes me queasy, and I hope that the younger filly is okay. If I knew where Breccan was perhaps we could go back there and protect her together. But as is... well, her mother and father should do an okay job, shouldn't they? Who am I to save her when I'm just a weanling? So instead I wander through the Threshold, trying to put my unease to the back of my mind. Still small hooves take me through the shady forest, cooler than the rest of Helovia at this moment. As might be expected, Orangemoon's autumn heat takes no prisoners.

A noise catches my attention. Was that a crash? Or just a...an almost crash? My dark ears perk up and golden eyes focus through the large trees. I step forward tentatively, nervous that I may stumble upon something I don't want to see. The unease that I'm trying to ignore is affecting me more than I thought. Haruki appears from what seems like out of nowhere, joining me at my side. 'Glad you're here.' I think to myself. We step into a small clearing but see nothing. The confusion is plastered all over my face. A small breeze makes me look up, and I see above me.... something flying. A pegasus, like myself! And small, too. It's outline is all I can make out with the sun as its backdrop. I wonder if that is what I heard... and yet it still remains in the sky. I let Haruki up on my withers between my wings, and awkwardly lift myself from a stand still into the sky.

Rising to meet the figure, I begin to speak, loudly enough so the other can hear me. "Are you okay? I heard a noise, was it you?" Soon I shall be level with it, though I'd much prefer to carry the conversation on the ground. Hovering is difficult!

""
@[Ruairi]
As I understand she's still in the air? If not, disregard and interpret this as Tempe saying all this in the little clearing. xD

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

** You may do what you like with Tempe besides dismemberment and death.

Unregistered

RUAIRI
The Directionally Challenged

Another winged figure rises from below, shouting concern and question. I groan inwardly to know there was a witness to my blunder, but then curiosity and a small excitement take the place of embarrassment. The filly is clearly younger than me and much, much flashier.

My body is all browns, reds, and oranges - Even my wings stick to the autumn color palette – but hers is black and white and pink and if I watch closely to the rise and fall of her wings, an iridescent gold. There’s even a strange puff of blue and grey nestled between her straining wings. I’m completely enthralled by the unusual patterns until a tickle of awkward of silence brings me back to attention.

“A noise? I didn’t hear anything.. unless you mean this-“

I plane my wings out flat and tilt myself vertically to swoop around the younger filly, sneaking a closer look at her as I go, then tent the first joint of each arm upwards, half furling the curtains of feather and muscle to drag myself into a floating halt. Air splits harshly across each feather with audible cracks and snaps, but the overlapping pattern of their growth and the strength of their roots holds me firm against the buffeting wind.

As the air breaks and washes away I’m forced to spread my wings wide again, pumping them up and down in quick, short beats to hold myself aloft. Without forward movement I can feel the strain of suspending myself mid-air and realize the other filly’s effort must be the same.

“Oh, if you show me where to land we can rest on the ground.”

OOC: @[Tempe] Squee ^.^

Tempe Posts: 39
Hidden Account
Filly :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 3 mo.
Haruki :: Common Kitsune :: Electric Lauren
T E M P E

The pegasus is like me, at least in the fact that we are both pegasi and young girls. Our colors differ, and I wouldn't be surprised if our personalities were different as well. No two creatures are exactly alike, after all. She circles me, swooping and diving and rising in the air. It's an inspection, and though I feel a little on the spot, I follow her with my gaze rather than my body, letting her eyes travel as they will. Her confusion at the noise that I mention leads me to believe that it was her, but the way she trails off indicates maybe she doesn't want to talk about it. Fair enough, I am fine with our budding conversation progressing. She realizes perhaps we should land, and I nod without saying anything, finding myself increasingly winded. I nose toward the bottom where the clearing is, and gently lower myself in gradual circles toward the forest floor. I move to the edge of the clearing so that she may also have room to land. I let Haruki down from his perch while she does so, and he finds a comfortable spot next to my forelegs. When the other Pegasus girl has landed, I lower my withers and crown in a polite dip. "Ah - much better!" My voice is cheerful, but a bit lacking in oxygen. "Welcome to Helovia! My name is Tempe, and this is Haruki." A beaming smile at her pretty face, and I continue. "What shall I call you, miss?"

""
Sorry it's so short!

Thread Tracker
Plot Thread

** You may do what you like with Tempe besides dismemberment and death.

Unregistered
The younger filly dives as soon as I suggest a landing and suddenly I’m alone. Despair washes across my darkened spine and sends me plummeting down behind her, but the sensation of loneliness now acknowledged refuses to be shed. It clings to me like the weight of a downpour and presses me to the ground.

It’s more of a controlled fall than an orchestrated landing, the way my back hooves touch ground first and then the front, but with wings spread wide and angled forward I manage to keep my body upright and come to fours smoothly, if a little heavily, a few paces from the smaller pegasus.

She’s already talking in an excited rush as I shake out my feathers and tuck them carefully into layers at my sides, the familiar pressure lending a small comfort in my distress. I’m far afield of my home and only now beginning to realize just how large the field might be – how large the world might be.

My ears and eyes want to sweep across the meadow in anxious movement, but I train them forward and bend my mind to the conversation at hand.

“I’m Ruairi. Rue if you like.”

The acid taste of worry sits firm in my stomach, soured further by the unfamiliar welcome. I've never even heard of a Helovia before, but the more I listen to the little mare talk the more infectious her cheer becomes. Foals are always so full of energy and truth-be-told I’ve not completely outgrown that energy myself. I offer a small, lopsided grin in fellowship.

"I've never seen a fox like that. I thought you just had a fuzzy blue mark on your back!"

OOC: @[Tempe] Sorry about the wait. Do you want to keep going?
RUAIRI

manip | table | bg