S
K
A
"Late one night, my fire alight
Waiting for him to see
My wait was long, o' what could be wrong
Where could my true love be, love be
Where could my true love be?"

The song was swallowed up quickly by the sigh of wind and the crash of waves, a humble offering apparently accepted by her mother ocean. If Earth God looked after the Falls and Moon God after the Edge, then surely Ocean God looked after her. The great ocean had given much, and still comforted her with a warm night lit by a brilliant (and gloriously literal) orange moon.

If the god had approved of her song, she was the only one. A few yards away, her smoke sentry stared into space. He said nothing, having no thoughts of his own. Rather, his head, adorned with only the bare suggestion of features, tipped slightly to one side, a marionette slumping under the weight of his puppeteer's inattention. She straightened him up again. "You're no fun," she grumbled, perhaps more to herself than to him. What good was he if he couldn't even harmonize?

Though he admittedly served little purpose, she found the unicorn's presence comforting. For this reason, he had become her near constant companion. He was a comical little beast, with a horn much too long and legs much too short. Beside her, he looked more absurd still. Even his twisted horn did not reach the lowest point of her muzzle. Still, she'd gladly have his company over none at all.

She'd been wandering, more alone than not, for a few moons now. She'd gotten turned around somewhere amongst the thick trees and dancing shadows of the Threshold, and though she'd been groping blindly for signs of her second stop since leaving the Falls, it was mostly for naught. Even when she thought perhaps she'd stumbled across the lands she sought, she could find neither hide nor hair of another. She'd eventually decided that she simply would not find the Edge without a guide, and so had proceeded down the coast to more familiar territory.

Now as she stood in the surf, eyes lifted to the bright and burning stars, her hooves only sank deeper into the muck below her. It felt apropos for the idealistic mare, but she had yet to realize why. It was just so like her to be swinging on a star while the world was burning down. It was so easy to sweep the creeping unease under some metaphorical rug in her subconscious, to ignore the inherent wrongness of her isolation, to fill an idle mind with stories rather than strategy. Had she any mind for such matters, perhaps she would have realized that time was running short. Even she shold have been sensible enough to realize that confronting Frostfall alone was a fool's errand. But she allowed the crash of waves to lure her mind away once more.

As ever, Cheska stood watching the world rush past around her with her hooves in the ocean, her head in the clouds, and a song on her lips.

"The song it haunts me still this day
Notes of uncertainty
If heaven laughs at prayers of mine
Then it never was to be, to be
Then it never was to be."

OOC] Open to any and all.
Notes] Lyrics to "The Ballad of the Sea" by Marc Gunn & Andrew McKee

Image Credit

◊ please tag Cheska in all posts
◊ full permission is granted for minor powerplays including
touching, placement and superficial injury

Sikeax the Sea Soul Posts: 355
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16 hh :: 5 years HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Hobgoblin :: Common Rougarou :: Water & Seoul :: Plain White Dragon :: Toxic Breath Zuno
"Eat that!" Disgust fills her, Hobgoblin chewing that food left his mouth in the same way that a small child shows that he doesn't like the meal that his mother has given him. Whines escape him at various intervals. "Please don't waste it. It's almost too cold to go out to sea and you're going to be much hungrier in Frostfall." Hobgoblin had begged almost constantly for a meal, pleading when he was too young to chase the mice and too lazy to change into something that would ease hunting. The fish Sikeax had taken the time to capture was a virtue.
Diving within the next few moon phases would be a dramatic change. It would be her first Frostfall with the gift, but swimming in the cold, icy waters again as she had in the child was a reminder enough.
She wouldn't go down for his meals if it could end in her death. She hadn't even taught the child to dive yet, which would take time for him to accept the ocean. He'd refused to leave with her, instead waiting almost impatiently along the shoreline for her resurface.
When it has appeared that he is finished, her head dips down to his level, shining the low light over each other's features.
"Open your mouth, please." A shake of the head. "Swallow." A whine. "Please. You're going to need that food later on." Finally, he breaks under will, swallowing with a grimace that brings a chuckle to her lips.
"Thank you."
His efforts are repaid in play, taking enough time to play chase along the beach, to leap and laugh with joy, to experience the finer things in life that she had been neglected off.
For once in a long time, true happiness fills her heart and warms it, and Sikeax finds what it truly feels like to be alive again.
His energy is seemingly endless, and while she allows him to run ahead, following behind at a slow walk and calling out to him when he was gone too far out of her sight, patiently awaiting his return.
This goes on for what must be hours before they find someone else, yet alone hear the voice.
Hobgoblin comes back to her with the urgent need for her to pick up the pace, nipping at her lower legs with baby teeth. Legs are drawn high to assure accidental crushing doesn't occur.
Finally, she gives into him, spreading her legs into a slow canter while he sprints ahead.
A lone stranger stood out in the waves, bathed in low moonlight and clearly caught up in themselves. Faint whispers of a song pours from their lips as her eyes turn down to ensure Hobgoblin didn't do something to ruin the moment
When nothing is left but the soft sigh of the waves meeting the earth, she steps out into their world. "You have a beautiful voice." Waves brush against her legs and climb a few inches, rubbing her down with a caress that urges her to go out deeper. Hobgoblin cries and she finally relieves him of his pain by placing her on her back.
"I'm sorry if I interrupted you." The apology is low, slipping off her lips in a slow, gentle manner. In case of any complications, she could easily dive down and leave for somewhere else, hopefully forcing Hobgoblin to overcome his fear in the process.

OOC: I meant to reply to this thread so long ago, but hey, at least I got a reply to you!
Hobgoblin is a black Serval.
@[Cheska]

"talk"

Sikeax
sam howzit

you were angels,
so much more than everything

:: please tag me
:: minor force and power play allowed