the Rift

Something that glows

Camon Posts: 40
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 15.2 :: 2 :: Birdsong Buff: NOVICE
Angel

Acidic copper and smoke -- those gut retching textures, they are just hanging in the air above distant hills like a toxic miasma. A shitstorm. I quickly turn my back on their strife; before my heart has a moment to form an opinion ahead of my brain. What right did a complete stranger have to judge? None.
______

A glorious full moon casts her pale fingers upon the browning foliage. It should be noted that as a child I'd always thought she looked like a big, wet eyeball -- silver and blind. As an adult, my opinion hadn't changed. Each leaf is outlined, seemingly glowing; the air around me is motionless. Not a breath of wind to stir the dark canopy. Absolute silence. The hidden crickets and nightlife beasts seem to have finally settled for slumber. Suddenly, 'rustle, rustle, scratch, scratch.'Perhaps not all manner of beast had hit the hay; every so often the startling complaint of a broken twig or bleary cry of an owl would come to reaffirm that I wasn't entirely alone.

'rustle, scratch, rustle.'

Emerald gems with their vibrant, heart melting color inked by this eve, flick to the noisy undergrowth. A smoky shape emerges from that leafy bed; one tiny wet nose is sniffing cool soil earnestly, digging, flicking twigs to and fro. Pink forepaws and their tiny needles are camouflaged by debris. Two beady eyes, blacker then any I'd ever seen before, jerk in my direction. We both regard each other without fear, for a single heartbeat. Though as quickly as he appeared, my company comes to a decision and darts from sight.

Still alone. Still standing. I press my bulk firmly against the sturdy base of a towering ceder, chosen to take shelter from. Both ears crane forward, listening as his faint pawsteps slip further and further away -- until they disappear entirely. My free wing stretches out, extending, then collapsing to nestle firmly against the roof of my spine, each hollow perfectly angled for comfort. The goal is to snag a few hours of sleep before heading back out on the road.

Camon

set fire to the DARK
Table by Time. Art by Angel/ Moon-illusion

Diesel Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

[Image: 2dtakqb.jpg]
DIESEL
Scream for Me

What is a better way to recruit than to stalk the land that I was recruited from? I step silently through the trees, not minding the small creatures that I pass. There is no real point when I am focused on greater tasks. I have stayed away from the conflict in the Falls as well. Though I would thrive on the battle, it would not do to be so... helpful. Besides, Colt would have my head for assisting anything that had extraneous... appendages, pointy, feathery, or otherwise. So I can only expect that I will be one of the few 'recruiting' here in the Threshold.

More shuffling up ahead does not particularly grab my attention. After all, there has been ruffling and shuffling all around me and I have largely ignored it. Small woodland creatures that I do not care to squish just now. I am keeping my attention elsewhere, expecting that it shall move out of the way before I get there. It does, scuffling off under the brush. The pines shift under my hooves, and my head tilts toward the ground, staring absentmindedly. I am almost surprised when I come upon... a sleeping horse. It is a strange hybrid of species where wings and antlers decorate the equine form. I have nothing against this stallion, because I am not racist like Colt. Why not have a good run with this boy? I say 'boy', of course, because he does appear to be younger than I. (Certainly he is less marred.) Perhaps since he is new to Helovia, I can be keep a good humor and etiquette.

I clear my throat, giving him a chance to waken and prepare himself for an encounter with me. I stand tall and gruff, proud though there is nothing at the moment to be proud about. I stand in front of him, my emerald eyes gazing down patronizingly, and for those that look quite closely, they might notice there's an unsettling hunger dancing in the corners of my irises. "It is unwise to sleep, unguarded, in a strange land. Have you no sense?" Just because I gave him a chance to awaken before I spoke does not mean that I will necessarily be polite.

371 words
@[Camon]

Hidden Account
Angel

To my unfortunate luck, the stranger made no attempt to cloak his approach. Considering I hadn't fallen asleep yet, my level of awareness was fantastic...knowledgeable long before he skid to a pause and did that slight coughing gesture. While restraining the urge to groan aloud, I made quick effort to ignore this rude intrusion of privacy out of vain hope to be equally ignored. Going as far as to relax these eyelids and slow the exhale/inhale intake -- all for the sake of a facade that wasn't working.

During the awkward passage from foal, to colt and stallion I'd come across a fair share of travelers. Some turned out delightfully more of an irritable nuisance than others. Luckily, the guardian of my youth, mother, always choose her company well and avoided the occasional rabble from random wanderers. She went out of her way to avoid heedless conversation.

Being her outstanding son...I followed suit, or at least tried.

He wasn't fooled by my ploy, or else didn't care. 'Move on', my inner voice whispered uselessly. One creamy ear twitched back as he spoke and the relaxed sweep of my tail became suddenly rigid. Unwise to sleep? Bah, I beg to differ -- resting was a mighty prudent thing to do. Usually others would leave you to it. Apparently that wouldn't be the case tonight...

With more self-control and maturity than I felt capable of, the shutters to my soul fluttered open. A dozen hasty retorts ran their way up my throat and nearly slid free; to my benefit they collide with commonsense. Though I openly frown as his moonlite frame straightes to tower above mine. These narrowed brows scrunch their frustration.

Those pupils had widened automatically as the unseen rods do their important work to absorb the faint, patched light until even the colored rims are inked. Maybe snoring would've been more convincing...Though deep down I felt this meeting was unavoidable; by the look in those callus eyes, this particular individual had nothing else better to do, "Do you..." my mind searched for tactful words, something that would end this conversation quickly. Since rambling off insults would likely extend it, "need something?"

Camon

set fire to the DARK

Ilios Posts: 200
Dragon's Throat Informant atk: 5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 15 :: 4 (Frostfall) HP: 66.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Isabella :: Common Rougarou :: Flame Parelia
Ilios
White tipped black tresses wave lazily in the air as the teal trimmed colt moves through the trees. He knew very well what these woods were and how they were used. This is where newcomers showed up to find a home, or at least a life. Warm air erupted from golden nostrils as he thought of a life. He longed to have a new life, one without heartbreak and loneliness. No it wasn't some young filly that had crushed his heart. It was his father, and a smattering of his mother. Ciceron had allowed himself and Parelia to leave and had never come after them; well not until his sister came along. He didn't hold a grudge against her, he loved her wholeheartedly. Sighing softly he shook the nasty thoughts away and proceeded with his searching.

The scent of others wafted lazily thorough the air; drawing his attention. Trying to be silent the colt picked his way through the trees, careful to keep his horn out of the trees. Ears pricked curiously as the vocals of a stud reached him. Need something? 'Hmmm...' He sniffed quietly and found two scents; two studs. Peaking out he found a normal equine with two gold bangles and a hybrid. The hybrid was smaller, brightly colored, jeweled, and sported an odd tail. Taking a deep breath he stepped boldly forward. Extending his silver and teal wings the boy smiled before dipping his head. The moon shone brightly making his pelt shimmer, accentuating the teal ivy markings upon his face and legs.

His deepening country tune sounded, "Hello, I'm Ilios of the World's Edge, welcome to Helovia." Unsure which of the studs, if not both, were new he smiled at them both. He knew the smile wasn't real, but it was polite; a necessary evil. Silver eyes flashed between the two glimmering curiously in the moon light. It was odd greeting a newcomer. Yes Parelia had told him how to do this, but it was still his first time. His tail swished lightly as if he could sweep away the tension with the hair. It didn't really matter, maybe his presents would change the feelings. It took all he had not to laugh out loud at the thought. Like he held that kind of power over anyone.

Wonderings TalkingWords: 382 OOC: His voice Hope you don't mind me crashing! @[Diesel]
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. ~ Robert Frost
You must be true to your heart..
[Image: silver_dreamer_mist_by_cantatus_promise-d8flci6.gif] [Image: mwaCGuX.gif]
Tag me

Unregistered

DIESEL
Scream for Me

So the man was not so asleep. He is smart to stay aware of his surroundings. It is quite obvious that he does not appreciate my interruption in the way that he carefully chooses his words. Do I need something? No, not right now at least. Before I say anything, a yearling appears. Ah, children. Generally I stay away from torturing children. It is almost too easy. Besides, even loving parents can damage them as much as I can. So I turn my head toward this 'Ilios' with emerald eyes that say clearly: 'What the bloody hell do YOU want?' But I refrain from speaking my mind, instead maintaining good behaviour. Instead I measure my own words carefully, and speak in a rather clipped tone. "Well met, Ilios." I do not introduce myself. Knowing my name is knowing who I am. I want these Helovians to fear me - respect and love are inconsequential. To name your fear is to conquer it. They must not know my name. At the very least, not by my lips. I turn toward the hybrid that I first came upon. "I need nothing except to occupy my time. It is a bloody shame to stand around a forest all day by one's lonesome self." I would not hesitate to guess that he would disagree, finding even my quiet presence to be an annoyance. Though I do not seek company for any social motivations, I always like to know who is around to pester and destroy. I must know my subjects, my victims. Not being around another soul will not accomplish those goals. I glance at the strangely colored hybrid child. "Children always need something. Perhaps you would be better off directing your question to our young new acquaintance."

@[Camon] @[Ilios]

Hidden Account
Angel

Much to my growing disappointment, another soul is creeping out of the woodwork. To my frayed nerves it sounds like those muffled hooves are closing in for trouble. For one single gut retching moment, a wave of hot panic flutters this heart faster -- wary pools cast a hard glance at my bangled company...attempting to answer a question without words. Was his friend coming for an ambush? The unseen shadow advances, along with my overactive imagination; despite every tendon screaming their choice of fight or flight my wings resist the desire to rapidly unfurl, carry me up and away before these bastards figured out what's what.

Had the overhead canopy not be a net above us...

The base of my skull begins to throb, anticipation. Antlered crown rises a notch higher. I'm socially and emotionally vested to glance over, acknowledge the other, when he breasts into view; though there is no smile upon these lips -- forced or otherwise. Surprise, surprise. A pale youth comes forth, his dappled flesh attractively spilling soft fragments of moon glow and the misty sheen of downy feather slack at his side. Those dull gems locked to mine and all hope of the younger one continuing on his way, vanishes.

Yet thankfully, there is no sign of malice. I spare a sideways view to my first unwelcome...whatever he was. Noting he seems to find the lad unfamiliar.

Oh lucky me...

I hadn't asked for a tour guide. Though a friendly guide was better received than a not so friendly gangbanger. Once the imaginary threat had passed, a crawling itch crept up my spine, (one that only grew the more it was thought about, and denied.) This body had an outstanding urge to bend around and see if the tree we stood beneath was indeed bare boned. Maybe there was a previously unnoticed sign or marker that said in some forgotten language, "Sleep under this tree if thou would like to be verbally mauled by the rude and young. :) Have a cheery night!"

"Uh..." the dusty hybrid was welcoming me (us) to Helovia and he hailed from a place called, 'World's Edge.' Wonderful. Far from delighted, my lips move to offer a dry, "I'm Camon." Acknowledgement alone felt extremely rude, so very gracelessly I tacked on a polite, "Thanks..." Holding the weight in a conversation wasn't my strongest capability. Though since neither fellow appeared to be trotting off anytime soon and curtsey the request of our unnamed company, my mind fishes out a question -- perhaps the only one of any curious significance, "There was smoke rising from the hills north of here...?"

Camon

set fire to the DARK

@[Diesel]
@[Ilios]

Unregistered

DIESEL
Scream for Me

I chuckle inwardly as I watch the hybrid stallion's reaction to the appearance of another joining us. He seems uninterested - no, that is too favorable - vexed. His manners are better than mine, and he returns the introduction, though I believe the proper etiquette and sentence structure is a little shortcoming. It is better than what I provide, which is nothing as of yet. His 'thanks' is almost too soft for my ears to catch and I find it difficult to suppress a snicker. Though the foal remains silent - and I find that very odd - this Camon asks a question to the both of us. Ilios is more likely to have answers than I, considering I have been in Helovia for only the shortest of times, not even a full season. But even I have heard the rumors of the war in the Falls. There is war in the north, in the herd land bordering this here Threshold. The Hidden Falls, or rather the Open-to-Anyone Falls, is under siege by the World's Edge and the Aurora Basin herds." I glance pointedly at the foal. Of course, I am not entirely surprised that he is not at home fighting in the war. He is young, it does not make sense that he would be fighting. (Though, when I was a child, I relished a fight when provided the opportunity.) I return my unwavering gaze to the stallion. "There is a fourth herd, the Dragon's Throat. Tell me, Camon, shall you join any of these herds? Or will you live in the wilderness as I do?" I cannot recruit him for the 'Equine Empire'. He is not a plain equine as I and Colt are. But knowing that he is not at home in some cozy little herd is definitely second-best. Perhaps we can find a use for him at some other time. Or he can be my own private disciple. I cannot decide... I find him a rather handsome specimen, and though I have no good use for him at the moment, I am reluctant to let him part from my own little directory.

352 words
@[Camon]

Hidden Account
Angel

An undeniable frown deepens as feelings of dismay creep closer from being forced to turn for a response from our taller, (unnamed) companion. Distracted, unsettled, I instinctively press more firmly against the rough bark of this old tree we stood beside -- the solid weight eases anxiety. Though it isn't enough to stop one amber ear from twitching back as we (I) listen quietly to the news of war. Hidden Falls, Worlds Edge, and Aurora Basin...Hadn't the other lad said he hailed from a place called, 'Worlds Edge'? Not unkindly, my shadowed stare falls to Ilios with a look that could only be described as unreadable.

The manchild added an unexpected nugget of silence to his demeanor -- despite being curious and welcoming only moments before. I wonder silently as the knowledge hangs between us, 'maybe this kid didn't have an answer -- maybe ignorance struck a personal cord the wrong way?' Who could say for sure? I certainly wasn't obliged to babysit the sensitivities of a stranger...a reasonable reaction would be to place those miniscule concerns aside to make room for more important things.

Hardly a second after the bangled man had finished, a rough,"No,"comes flying out from this jaw. Perhaps it would be the finality in my tone or the angle at which these brows inch higher -- any fool with eyeballs could plainly see the notion of joining anything or anyone was extremely unappealing to me. "I'm not good with..." what word would sound less offensive than the first few that sit front and center, "Others," I decide, unnoticeably pleased with myself. There was zero talent for playing well with peers or the like. Come to think, I didn't have any outstanding gifts... something to ponder about for the road ahead. "Thanks," for waking me up, for forcing me to communicate, "For the information," part of me wished my voice was stronger, gruffer. The other part could care less. "It was...interesting to meet you both." They could claim this particular slice of forest, my toes are more than willing to find someplace less crowded.

Camon

set fire to the DARK

@[Diesel]
@[Ilios]