the Rift

[OPEN] Tracks in the Sand

Hearth Posts: 22
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Pegasus :: 16hh :: 8 (FF) HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Locks
Hearth

My shadow is alike a great bird on the sands below, writhing over the crests of the dunes in this seemingly endless tannish sea of grain. A sturdy wind keeps me raised above this barren land as my great wings balance against, not resisting its assistance as I am its willing occupant and subject myself to its shifting will. On this draft my eyes have feasted on the scenery as the lands transitioned beneath from lush brindled plains that turn into forests of evergreen, of forests that folded into mountains feet, and of mountains that at last bowed into this dry sea . I've never come so far south before and my memories muddle over the remnants of an encounter years ago of a place like this described to me. Dragons Throat. That was the word spoken to me by the proud blue one, Ampere, back in the cusp of the pine woods. Yes, I remember it well, or near enough at least. It was the day I had entered this land, the one I've been told was called Helovia. It had been cold then, a thought hard to imagine in this heat that burned against my back now, and I had been travel wary and seeking shelter for my rest that night. Think of my surprise when I was found out by not one, but two of the natives here! The talk had been good but I understood little of their ways outside their invitations and left them with my blessing.

"We could be sisters," the memory echos in my head, my minds eye seeing the words curl off the smiling maw of Ampere. A pale and dainty one of my kind had been there too, the solemn and pale Elsa. We were, for a moment, I think back to myself, strangely aware of a dull pang of sadness gaining weight in my chest. Together in whatever game they had been playing we had created a moment I've thought fondly of ever since, however brief. One could say that I...feel regret for how short it was. It is not often I'm moved, for I am a hardened mare, but I realize that it was well beyond my recounting since I last had the fortune of company. Such is the life of a traveler, but I am not one to lament. Still, the memory beckons a yearning in me and why should i not seek to placate it? However desolate this desert it does not dampen the hope burning alight in my breast. Ampere claimed this to be her home and perhaps i might find her and her kin yet. The Fox Mother too claimed bondage to this place. There may yet be friends near. While it seemed to me a strange and hostile place for a herd that is not for me to judge. The sky cloaks the world. Wherever it is we are made to be.

I had cast my cool ember gaze to the horizon when I'm jolted by the sudden withdrawl of the wind in my wings, sending me into a notable glide. My wings test the air with a heavy flap to keep me airborne but we find together that my body is a burden in this heat without the winds support. I could in fact keep my myself in the air but the effort would be exhausting and altogether a poor judgment for us both. Better to walk for a while. Collectivly I slant my glide and my wings brace wide to slow me as I near the crest of a dune, dragging the tips of my hooves along its surface for a length before landing. I jog for a few steps, unable to stop completely with uncertain footing as my hooves sink deep into the surface, making a conundrum as dust rises around me. I had forgotten the fickle nature of sand having little experience in my meager lifetime and snort with displeasure as I'm forced to leap again and glide to the base of the dune, sand tumbling in my wake. To my pleasure I'm greeted with solid rock that clicks with welcome underfoot and I see before me a craggy landscape huddling a bare whelp of a spring. My mouth immediately begs for the frail liquid and I sunder over, clasping my great wings to my side for a brief respite as i bow my neck and sup of the spring. The water is just barely cool but I make no argument.

"blahblahblah."
Image Credit
  • Permission granted to harm Hearth and use magic against her, but withhold from dismemberment and death.

• Also, please tag Hearth in Threads!