the Rift

[PRIVATE] The Wildfire and the Sunspear
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd
With fire to keep us warm, and tools we made from rocks and bones

Gaucho had a habit of rarely asking others their intentions and opinions. Perhaps it was a character flaw - a chink in his armor. He didn't see it that way. Too much time was spent on talking, and not enough on acting. It was why he held Ophelia in such high esteem. She was a mare who seemed to be able to balance conversation and action, and when the two did talk, it was always to the point ... even if it meant that Gaucho had wanted to kill her a time or two.

So he didn't think it would come as much of a surprise to Meg, who he had recently elevated from her position as warrior, to lead.

The Wildfire was not concerned with the time the mare had spent away. He too had a prolonged absence during precisely the same time period. Such was life. That she had returned with her integrity and her fealty was all that mattered to him. That she was faster to act than ask was a consequence of her leadership he would deal with in time. Having a more diplomatic leader such as his mate Sohalia might prove to balance his equally rash leadership style, but then again Gaucho needed someone he could count on. Sohalia was still recovering from her time away, as well as the birth of yet another set of twins. The herd required a leader, and Gaucho saw one in Meg. She might not be the leader that the herd thought they needed, but she was the one that Gaucho needed.

He had asked her to remain with him after the herd meeting, to discuss her promotion. As their family finally resumed their daily business, his stoic gaze fell upon his hardened warrior, his Sunspear.

"Meg have questions?" He inquired, his voice deep and rich as he addressed his Sultana with an air of approval and amusement.

@[Megaera] - set right after the herd meeting.

Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine
Megaera
A kiss with a fist is better than none

Gaucho had asked her to remain after the herd had dispersed but she would have done so anyway. Sultana the word seem strange and not one Meg could easily associate with herself as many times as she repeated it to herself. For the most part, Meg though she understood Gaucho, his reasons, motivations, for they were so often in line with what her own might be in his position but this decisions caught her off guard.

She didn’t have the experience, lord knows, and most bewilderingly of all was the concept that she should somehow rise in a flash to be placed on equal footing with Gaucho. In theory a Sultan and Sultana should share power, work together, meet on equal ground, but who in their right mind would think she could be a match for The Wildfire? She was strong, yes, but he was mighty. She was brave, but he was fearless. He was her commander, her idol, damn near her god, and she could not see how she could be worthy. Still, somehow Gaucho must have thought her so or he would not have named her Sultana. She didn’t know could she hope to lead their family with him, but now that he had bid her how could she do anything less?

With the excitement of the initial announcement faded, and the herd gone they’re separate ways, Gaucho broke the silence. She couldn’t help but chuckle at his words. Oh course she had questions! Meg had always seemed to need more words than Gaucho did, to give them and receive them. But how could she propose he might be off his rocker when he was looking at her like that? The approval on his features, the words he had spoken at the meeting, made her want to burst with pride. “Have you been conspiring with the Sun God, then? You both seem set on giving me challenges I don’t know if I can handle.” Her tone was half joking but they came from a very real concern that both firebrands though more of her than she could deliver, as hard as she might try.

@[Gaucho]

FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd
With fire to keep us warm, and tools we made from rocks and bones

[LATE AS ALWAYS X.X]

Gaucho snorted. He had heard from Einarr, and through whispers in the herd that Meg was a wet nurse to the young filly that his son had taken to. He had seen Mordecai only once - when she had arrived on his sands in the wake of her Mother's death at the hooves of her Father. It was a tough welcoming into the world, but with a Father like Einarr, Gaucho believed the girl would learn to use her hardships to her advantage. What Gaucho didn't know was necessarily how Meg came to be a wet nurse. Had Einarr asked it of her? Had the God of the Sun did this, and Meg seemed to suggest? It was interesting. But, so long as there was no foal growing in her belly it wasn't his concern.

"Meg never let Gaucho down." He offered with a light chuckle, his darkly handsome features turning upwards as he gazed into the sky. "Gaucho doubt you'll let Sun God down either." It was one of the reasons why Gaucho liked Meg so much - she was not overly confident in her abilities, but nor was she ignorant of her short comings. The bay was aware that failure was possible, but Gaucho believed that would only make her ever the more diligent in her tasks.

"Meg need spar more." He advised, although neither his voice nor his face showed signs of disappointment. He knew Meg was a strong and wily warrior - he had been witness to it himself. But he also knew that should anyone ever decide to form a mutiny against the current leadership, Meg would be the easiest target.

"Gaucho not sure what will happen if Invasion is successful. Basin likely just go home ... but Edge and Falls? Falls might show up here. We should be cautious. They might not be looking for a place to stay - might be looking for a place to take. If injured, we help. Pegasi always welcome. Everyone else ... can stay based on merit. Just like every one else." Snorting, Gaucho's thoughts became scattered when he thought of the Edge, the Falls, and the Basin. He had no reason to doubt Ophelia, or Kahlua, and yet still he wondered what was going to happen should this shuffling take place. Would the Edge simply be empty ? Or would there be a fight for power? Likely it would be the latter. Snorting, the Wildfire turned his thoughts back to Meg.

[Also, you should post in the rank updates that you're a lead now - it effects your stats! :D ]

@[Megaera]
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Megaera the Sunspear Posts: 306
Absent Abyss atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 h :: 8 [Birdsong] HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Gwaihir :: Golden Eagle :: None Laine
Megaera
A kiss with a fist is better than none

Only after she had made the jest did it occur to Meg that it’s meaning might be a little vague. She didn’t thing Gaucho was unintelligent by any means, but as strait forward and plain speaking as he was, Meg might have to stick to a similar manner of speaking when on official business. The newly made Sultana glanced back at the oasis, wondering if Gaucho was entirely aware of her situation. It had been a long while since they had had time for a real conversation, and so much had happened in that time. Two gods, a baby, and a strange black stallion to be precise.

The stallion chuckled, and voiced his assurance, which had Megaera turning back with a smile. “You’re confidence is always a blessing Gaucho, and I thank you for it. The Sun God appeared at the Heart not long ago and set me a quest. Protect, he said, but learn to do so without destruction as well.” The mare’s face pulled in a wry smile “I wasn’t sure I would find that lesson as a warrior, but it seems now I’ll have to if I am to be a good Sultana.” The concept still seem backwards to militant Meg, but if her Sultan and her patron god both asked her to serve as a shield rather than a spear, there must be a reason and a way.

Gaucho advised more sparring and Meg nodded in acknowledgement of the suggestion. Dragon’s Throat was still a warrior clan, and even if there were new ways to learn Meg knew better that to slack in building her own strength. If she was going to be worth her salt as Sultana, she was determined to have the strength to defend the title. She made no comment and finally the stallion’s talk turned to the conflict in the northern herds.

Her experience with any of the three was painfully limited. Her venture to the Falls and the confrontation with the Basin members on the floating isle had both set a slight prejudice against any outsiders for Meg and she had never ventured into the Edge at all. Despite the negative history, she listened carefully to Gaucho’s word, determined to learn as much as she could. “We’ll keep a close watch on our borders then, to be sure that their troubles are not brought into our home.” She considered for a moment, still unsure how much she dared put forward. She had become so used to Gaucho being placed firmly above her in the herd; he was Sultan, she was a soldier. it was comfortable that way, it was safe. But he had broken that dynamic, changed it, and surely he knew her well enough to know she would take that responsibility seriously. “We should’t stay in the dark.” She finally spoke, resolved to be as bold as she ever was. “If there are power shifts happening then we should have eyes and ears in the north. We don’t want to get caught up in any fight, so maybe not right away, but I don’t think we should just wait here for news.” Now that she had said it there was a large part of Meg that wanted to be the one to go. As soon as the urge appeared though, she was forced to shove it aside with a swift snort. “I would travel myself but I cannot leave Mordecai for long just yet.”

@[Gaucho]

FAC FORTIA ET PATERE
be brave and endure
:: permission given for use of magic and force :: please tag Megaera in all posts ::