the Rift

[OPEN] If lightning strikes tomorrow

Ulrik the Engineer Posts: 235
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 hh :: 11 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kirchoff :: Common Hellhound :: Superspeed Tamme

Ulrik wanted to laugh out loud at her simple, snarky answer, and he grinned. She had attitude and humor, and that was just fine for him, especially right now. The only sign of his amusement was a light snort that fluttered his velvet black nostrils, and he relaxed slightly in her presence. Apparently she did not want to answer his question, but her misdirection was enough of a suggestion to imply a someone as the object of her ire.

He snorted again, gaze sweeping over her crooked smile, and he smirked, one corner of his mouth lifting up in amusement. “No, you don’t,” he confirmed. In his unease about this entire situation with Midas, he grunted, wind rushing through the thick hair that covered his body like the pelt of a wolf and the beard of a goat. If not for the thick musculature around his body and a keen intellect, he might have even passed for a mountain goat at a distance.

Her smile was gone and so was the easy attitude, and Ulrik raised a brow. Honestly, he hadn’t expected her, of all creatures, with that temper, to have reservations about war. Raising a curious brow, he paused, eying her as she seemed so uncomfortable, and hew as unperturbed by making her feel this way. That was not to say that he wanted it that way on purpose; he just didn’t give a shit to try to remedy the situation. Ulrik was a ‘take it or leave it’ kind of guy, and most dropped him like a hot torch.

Ah, she was trying to sympathize with the victim. It was a natural thing to do. The emotional thing to do. The stallion looked down into her blue eyes, taking her judgment silently and waiting until she was fully finished to step back in. If someone’s parent was getting hurt and their child was standing on the side, why was that parent fighting at all? When losing was the only option, why not give up? Leave? Move on? Integrate, even? No, everyone had too much pride and too little sense.

Ulrik stood still, watching her pace and get agitated, and he wondered why she cared so much. To his credit, he did take a moment to think honestly about her words, but in the end, he shrugged slightly. The Engineer was brilliant, but he was ignorant to the ways of mortal kind. He found it interesting that she cared more about others and other’s parents than her own mother (who was raped, apparently). Yes, he had been standing somewhat nearby for all of that – near enough at least to catch that part of Ophelia’s words.

“I am not sure if I care or not,” he said simply. “The Falls was attacked because our allies came looking for help to escape from living under the tyranny of the Moon Goddess – I suppose since she took to killing.” Ulrik grunted angrily at that part. He was not happy about gods interfering in that way. “Midas had refused our offers to ally multiple times. He ripped up invitations given by our children. At that point, he refused to differentiate reason from paranoia. I’ve been living in the Aurora Basin for… since… it was discovered. I was eradicated from my home by Mirage and her ‘righteous’ band of warriors.”

“I’ve been around long enough to know that when it comes to invasions, it’s never fair on either side. No one sympathized with us when we were cast out. They all praised Mirage for eradicating our racist threat – just because we preferred to live with our own kind. You could look at this war two ways, I suppose. First, Midas damned himself by making enemies and those in the World’s Edge fought for a better life for their people and assimilated the newly freed members from Midas’ paranoid delusions. Or second, you see the Edge and the Basin as power hungry monsters who fought just to fight and show force. I can assure you that we are far too lazy to be that ambitious.”

Ulrik sighed, looking back over his shoulder. “I feel the urge to apologize to someone. I don’t… know why.” He frowned. “Why would you fight a war you know you are going to lose?”

@[Roskuld]

table by tamme | |art by lunarblues

(Please tag me in every post)

Messages In This Thread
If lightning strikes tomorrow - by Ulrik - 04-18-2015, 06:29 PM
RE: If lightning strikes tomorrow - by Roskuld - 04-19-2015, 09:26 PM
RE: If lightning strikes tomorrow - by Ulrik - 04-21-2015, 01:45 AM
RE: If lightning strikes tomorrow - by Roskuld - 04-21-2015, 02:08 PM
RE: If lightning strikes tomorrow - by Ulrik - 04-27-2015, 12:04 AM
RE: If lightning strikes tomorrow - by Roskuld - 04-29-2015, 12:32 AM
RE: If lightning strikes tomorrow - by Ulrik - 05-24-2015, 02:48 AM
RE: If lightning strikes tomorrow - by Roskuld - 05-31-2015, 02:24 AM