the Rift

[OPEN] Trees and things [Closed]

Camon Posts: 40
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 15.2 :: 2 :: Birdsong Buff: NOVICE
Angel

An old beech tree sighs, or maybe it was a groan, who but the tree could say for sure? This particular towering giant cradled a secret sleeper. One of its many different residents, a fat, grey squirrel clamors for familiar footholds -- his big, round eyes sharp as a needle and wary. He notices an odd shape lodged against the butt of his home and two thick branches. An annoyed bark flits past his lips, but the instinct to flee overrides his desire to protect the great wooden castle.

My tail is half-wrapped (for a sense of security) around the silver, scratchy limb I'd bedded in; catlike, it would ever so often twitch the tuffed tip from side to side. Both pale lids are still shut to this world, lulled by the calming wind, who spent the better part of last night tickling the bellies of the few remaining leaves and whispering sweet nothing to the naked twigs. Scarce few other sounds. A murky morning greets the dark, wet wood; moist fog had rolled in during the wee hours to cling upon the faded wheat and wilting thistle. Somewhere East, behind a thick layer of smoky cloud the sun was rising, it would soon burn all the gloom away.

Shutters creep slowly open, their hazy depth is only half-aware. I stretch my neck out, (mindful not to tangle these weighted prongs on anything,) while a wide yawn split this jaw apart. Crown tips until my chin is resting against the solid limb beneath me. One feathered wing shuffles lazily against this warm flesh. Just beyond this aged mammoth was a meadow that stretched far South and West as far as my eyes could see. Rolling mounds, littered with stunted bushes and wide open spaces. I'd eventually emerge from my perch, return to the trail, return to familiar migrating. Though not yet...not when there was still enough shadow to convince my mind that slumber was still feasible.

Camon

wanted to belong here
Table by Time. Art by Angel/ Moon-illusion

@[Isopia]

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

ISOPIA
Consider your origin. You were not formed to live like brutes but to follow virtue and knowledge.
The girl wandered.

With the recent invasion, there was too much confusion and noise in both lands. The World's Edge was quickly vacating, (some new contest was being held to determine its new leadership), and those who had traveled to the Falls were working to settle in. The girl had already found a spot that she liked - hidden down a windy path which turned into more of an animal trail the farther you went. It was easy to navigate once you had done it a few times, but the girl noticed that few bothered. They didn't know what they were missing, and that was just fine with her. Eventually the path widened into a small glade, heavily closed in by thick and beautiful trees. The sun could easily find its way in, and there was a small creek which bubbled up through the ground and flowed off to somewhere else. It was solitary, quiet, and beautiful. It was there that the girl would build her hut, but not just now. Not with all the noise.

She hated noise, because it usually signaled a crowd. The girl hated crowds too.

So, she had set off. Her Mother was busy running the Edge all by herself, and her Father? Well, of course he was busy. But the girl was independent, so this little solo excursion didn't bother her at all.

Strolling through the meadow the girl inhaled the smell of living things all around her. Thickets and thistles and dirt and leaves. It made her senses feel elated the more she breathed it in. She felt most at home when she was shoulder-deep in nature. Spying the beech tree, the girl set off towards it at a leisurely walk. Camon was on the opposite side that she approached and was also heavily obscured by the ancient tree's rich greenery. Besides, the girl wasn't looking to see if the tree had any current occupants.

Softly, she began to hum to herself. It was something she only did when she believed herself to be alone. Calling forth her magic, she created 5 birds composed entirely of water. Their bodies reflected the sun, as they flew high above the trees. Stepping back, the girl's golden gaze watched as they worked: each burst apart, raining down upon the tree to help water it. This Orangemoon had been fickle with the disappearance of the Moon Goddess. Everywhere the girl went, she found plant life wanting for a bit more moisture, and she was happy to oblige.

As the birds burst and the girl watered the tree, she didn't even consider that she might be simultaneously giving Camon an unrequested shower.

Image Credits

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

Hidden Account
Angel

By the time I'd stirred again, the morning had moved on without me; marched forward until the distant sun did breast those invisible mountains to rid this open valley of gloom and mist. Perhaps my dozing trust, (so alike that of a newborn,) was because I lacked the apprehension that came with age. It's still comfortably manageable to flit in and out of sleep without worry, without fear. My relaxed state can only be described as peaceful; unmarred.

At least until the noises change from a quiet whisper of wind rustling the dry foliage, to one of more fluid expression. The listening part of my consciousness notes the alteration and sends my awareness to brush against its glassy surface, eventually breaking through. A song. One without words. Lids flutter open once more; one lazy ear slides forward to capture and use rough imagination on the manner of creature that stood out of view. The beautiful hymn is quiet, expressed at a such a low volume that I've already halfway pitched over in the direction of those soft, beautiful cords. These hungry ears had never heard anyone sing before -- Mother certainly never educated her son to appricate delicate culture.

From the corner of my vision an object darts from around the way, fleeing from direction the lovely melody was coming. My groggy self can't move swift enough follow its movements or make an assumption of the species; though these eyes flick rapidly as it vanishes just as quickly as it appeared. Only a little birdie, I chide. There is a sudden coolness dampening the heavy crown I bore, those unexpected droplets glide down across my marrowed prongs to mate with glossy sunburst silk. A light sprinkle showers my spine with a cool mist.

This head turns, forgetting that lovely voice; confusion had proper rein and I'm left to sort out the source of this unexplainable moisture dribbling from the leaves. Born from a clear sky? My questioning stare is answered, (though in hindsight, I would in a few moments wish it hadn't been.) Another sparrow shaped thing catches my attention, it resembles that of a simple songbird; at least by the shape. Those feathered wings carry it to a nearby branch high above my head. That is were all likeness to our living, breathing world did end.

With a fixated stare I slowly come to realize that those feathers, though seemingly solid, are semitransparent. Liquid. Without my realizing the lower portion of my jaw drifts open and both eyes widen. But their size is mild compared to the width they take when the creature suddenly explodes. That's right...explodes! Water droplets are violently flung in all directions, a quiet gasp turns into a shriek. Limbs find their way beneath me and pinions extend rapidly to escape this unknown danger. Valiant effort is made to achieve lift, but in my rush I'd brilliantly missed the fact that there are branches blocking the way.

Still...I mindlessly thrust past them, clumsy at best. There is a brief sensation of falling, then rimmed darkness as the ground quickly finds me sprawled across the wilted foliage. Tail, hair and feathers tangled in a lump, my vision returns. With spurred energy I rise, hardly feeling how my right side screams from the solid hit. Gems turn to behold a tall youth, a child really, angled on the other side of the beech.

I don't spare time studying her appearance or age....or anything for that matter; instead, my first reaction is to warn this innocent soul of what horror I'd just witnessed. A frantic rush of idiotic spew comes flying out my mouth ahead of the mind that was supposed to control such nonsense, "There are BIRDS up in that tree!!" it wasn't until after the words had left me that I realize how crazy they must sound. Saucer eyes regard the girl with unrestrained urgency, I've already began backing away from the accursed thing, "E-e-exploding birds I mean!" The image of that tiny critter puffing up like... "Poof!! They went." Surely she saw! I couldn't I have been the only one to see...!?

Camon

wanted to belong here

@[Isopia]

Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

ISOPIA
Consider your origin. You were not formed to live like brutes but to follow virtue and knowledge.
The girl smiles as the tree is watered. She can practically sense its appreciation as the moisture is soaked up in both leaves and roots. However she was not expected the tree to dispel anything the size of Camon, and abruptly her humming stops as her quad-horned head peers around the aged trunk to spy the hybrid rising from the ground. The girl's first instinct is to run away, or perhaps to change into a raven and fly out of sight. She is here to deal with nature, not with falling stallions. Still, she remains where she is.

The girl's golden gaze turns quizzical as the stallion announces that there were birds in the tree. Was she being critisized for her magic? That she should have evicted everyone from the tree prior to watering it? How absurd. Does a rain cloud ask permission before it starts to pour? So why should I-, but then he continues and the girl realizes that the birds he referenced was her magic. It all made so much more sense now. Still, given the prevalence of magic within these lands, it did surprise her slightly that he would make such a big deal about it, though.

"They didn't explode." She corrected gently. "They merely changed their composition. Instead of birds, they became rain. The tree needed to be watered, you see." She said, by way of justification. Not to excuse her actions and the unintentional shower she had given Camon, but to help him understand what had happened.

The girl turned her golden gaze upwards to the boughs of the tree. Her mind turned and whirled as she considered what had happened. Camon had fallen, or at least mostly fallen. Which meant he couldn't have simply been around the tree. Had he been on it? But why? Her gaze roamed back to the hybrid as she voiced these thoughts. "Why were you up there? Were you doing something to the tree?" Her voice sounded skeptical, even bordering on hostile.

If he was doing anything to the tree, he would have her to answer to. Carving his name, with another in a heart perhaps? She hated that. Eyeing his horns she thought that might have been the case. Why else would he be up there?

Image Credits

Hidden Account
Angel

The first rational thought to sprint across my mind after blurting out those rash, idiotic rabbles was that she wouldn't believe a word of it; and my reaction to those little feathered creatures dying a sudden, horrible death would be cast into the pile of insanity. As I draw enough oxygen to steady these trembling legs and actually spare more than a half glance to the one I'd warned...well... to me, she didn't appear fearful, or even slightly concerned. At least not in the way I'd expected. Then the young lady starts speaking in the most collected, nonchalant manner possible; I couldn't stop my jaw from doing another unimpressive drop. This girl suddenly made me feel like a small child, bleating over ghools and wisps.

Wary eyes widen slightly, and more questions than I'm comfortable dealing with have begun to pile up behind my awestruck expression. I want to laugh out loud at how absurd this situation was and scream a string of distasteful curse words. Thankfully for us both, neither come out. There was nothing normal that could suddenly alter their...as she put it... composition. How in the world did they do that? Do all creatures water the plant life here? No, my rational side pipped, that was the first I'd ever seen. Had these eyes not just beheld the feathered...thing...bursting apart; my reaction would've been light humor for the first fool that told me such things are possible.

Before words could form and rattle off anything extra -- she pointingly thrust a question of her own. To which I felt was redundant and of little importance considering a miracle or curse had just made wildlife turn into water. Why was I the only one who saw something wrong with that!? "Uh...sleeping," comes a subdued reply as her stare drifts to my antlers, which have grown to feel hot beside my ears. "Trees...I-I sleep in them." What did it matter? Lots of folks slept in trees. "Quiet," my tone drags at a rasp, "It's quiet up there." Back to more important things, "Do all the beasts here exp...-- change into water?" Then to myself, but obviously loud enough to be heard, "How is that even possible?" Maybe this was a dream... Testing this suggestion my weight flexed unhindered to the lean upon its bruised side -- another unhelpful grimace twisted my muzzle briefly. Nope. I'm awake.

Camon

wanted to belong here

@[Isopia]

ISOPIA
Consider your origin. You were not formed to"live like brutes but to follow virtue and knowledge.
Her golden eyes narrow as he responds that he was sleeping. It didn't make any sense. Horses did not sleep in trees, even ones with wings such as herself. They were far too large to balance precariously on tree limbs. It wasn't natural - birds, and bugs, and other small mammals live in trees. Not large creatures like horses - regardless of what magic flooded their veins.

"I understand the needs for quiet-" The girl began, thinking of the hut she was building deep within the Hidden Falls. "-but equines are not meant to sleep in trees. It disturbs their growth pattern. They never evolved to bear such weight." Her words were almost on the verge of a criticism, as if he had done something wrong by slumbering in the tree. Which, in the girl's mind, he had.

"I imagine they do not." She answered, with a subtle title of her head. "Besides, those weren't real beasts as you put it. They were of my own making. They took the shape of birds because I told them to - and similarly they burst apart because I told them to. This season has been particularly hard on the flora and fauna ... with the Moon Goddess gone - banished to the Edge - things have been rather eradic. I am just trying to regain balance." She explained, as if it was the most simple thing in the world, as if words like Edge and Mood Goddess would be apart of his regular vocabulary.

Still, he seemed bewildered. Sighing, the girl focused on the ground. "Like this-" She began, trying to direct his gaze to where hers was looking. The ground began to shake and shift, as she pulled the particles apart. Her mind and her affinity with nature blended seamlessly as the area around them yielded two large shapes. They looked almost like dragons - the girl had been practicing, but due to the changes in the Edge recently she hadn't had the change to see any up close. Still, her proximity to Volterra and his dragon had proved more than useful in shaping their image in her mind. Although everything was not completely anatomically correct, it was close enough. The creatures rose from the ground, their bodies composed of the earth and their wings composed of water. They hovered at the girls shoulders, two of them, each staring at Camon as if to further prove their existence.

"It's just magic." She concluded almost matter-of-fact-ly, her tone bored and obvious as she stared at the hybrid. After all, how could one be a combination of 2/3 most magical equine species and be ignorant of magic?

Image Credits

Hidden Account
Angel

Her exceptional consumption of air all for the sake of 'chiding,' would amount only to a blank stare. To me, there was no point in standing around arguing about whether it was right or wrong to sleep in trees. I certainly didn't see the need to waste oxygen or further energy in upholding or justifying my presence in that beech to this know it all girl. Besides...there wasn't time to offer a rebuke even if I'd wanted to. No sooner had she finished scowling, the young thing took off on what she obviously assumes to be a perfectly reasonable explanation/answer to my disbelief. I'm treated to continue standing by like a newborn, ears drinking (or rather drowning) in her words.

Considering my ignorance of this land, its culture, ect -- this mind only manages to understand a small portion of all that was said. Most (all) of her attempts to clarify, only provide kindling and fuel for yet more questions. There is a solid ache forming within the deepest retreats; the beginning of a slight twitch that would eventually increase to a throb -- the first step of a migraine. A soft shake sends the orangeburst silk flying across my brim, those stray locks fall to mask further befuddlement. The feathers on either side twitch, (forgetful of the bruise that was slowly forming beneath their weight,) nearly reacting on impulse to speed off as my knowledgeable company offers to provide an example, "N-," the word dies on my tongue as this crown rises to see her stare averted off.

I steal a glance at the clear heaven above and feel a surge of confidence rise above my fear. These wings could easily out pace most tweeter birds. Right? This newfound comfort was slightly dented when from the loins of earth she fashioned two great beasts; who look like a cross between bat and lizard - neither of which were like a creature I'd ever seen before. Both brows draw themselves taunt -- my jaw remains open, frozen on an unfinished word. These eyes follow their motions with awestruck shock; I didn't bother asking what they are...not when I was still trying to grasp the notion that they are.

Both gems rotate between the two harpies. Magic, she called it. This jaw shuts like a claw trap, "Magic?" I gave this creature and her crew my unflinching attention. All the while taking a noticeable step in reverse; this was stuff straight from a colt tale. "Y-your...a..a.. witch?" Long ago Momma had told me stories about innocent looking individuals who gain immortality by consuming the flesh of their kin -- they are rumored to have special abilities.

Camon

wanted to belong here

@[Isopia]
OOC: sorry it took so long -_-.... I'm slow and he's wordy

ISOPIA
Consider your origin. You were not formed to"live like brutes but to follow virtue and knowledge.
Her eyes continue to narrow. She wasn't entirely sure what game this fellow was playing ... if this confusion and fright was genuine. Then again, he might have been feeling and displaying a multitude of other emotions, she just didn't understand them. For the girl, only the most basic of emotions - and some higher academic ones - could be understood by her fast mind. The subtleties of the heart were completely lost to her.

As he asked if she was a witch, a frown formed on her maroon lips as a sigh parted them. What a silly thing to say. It was fallacious reasoning, that's all. He believed, wrongly, that all who had magic were witches. That was just false - it was not a sufficient component of the word 'witch' that one had magic. It might be necessary, but it certainly wasn't sufficient. Pausing before she responded, the girl wondered if this strange creature understood necessary and sufficient conditions. Her mind fluttered - how could anyone not?

"Magic does not make one a witch. Witchhood includes many other features. It's silly to assume or conclude on the basis of one demonstration of magic that I am a witch." She responded, her tone possessing of its usual combination of academic poise and boredom. "Regardless, no, I am not a witch. I was born with magic - I can do things other than this." She concluded.

As if to prove her point, the grasses in which they stood began to wrap themselves around her forelegs. Growing up, seemingly for her hooves, the blades of green began to sprout from her blood-splattered legs. Her dark hooves appeared to be the colour and consistency of dirt. The long she stood immobile, the faster this occurred.

As this occurred, the girl thought. How could it be that this creature was so startled by the use of her magic, and immediately jumped to what was, in her mind, an absurd assumption on the basis of its use? The girl knew that there were lands - worlds - other than Helovia, but she assumed that most were more or less the same. If they weren't, life wouldn't have evolved in roughly the same way it had here. Camon looked more or less regular, and so it made sense to think that he was from a land more or less like this one.

The less however, seemed to be that it was void of magic.

"You aren't from here." She concluded allowed, voicing the conclusion of her thoughts.

Image Credits

Hidden Account
Angel

Truthfully, I'm still so surprised and taken back, the wiry youth in me doesn't take offense toward her defense -- or even blink at the callus way she decrees my conclusion to be 'silly.' That gilden horned yearling could've cursed my stupidity and trampled my ignorance beneath the soiled claw of one of those lizard creatures -- it wouldn't have made any difference. The robed girl defends her honor on the stance that she was sired with those...gifts...which would render my previous concern utterly spent. (Since it is said that witch's gain their powers by every which way, minus being inbred.) Still, I remain unconvinced; this soul is by far old enough to know people lie as easily as they breath -- that dull drag of her tone didn't sooth the frayed nerves which are stung from anxiety (though but it didn't worsen them either.) I've been listening and saying nothing; questions mount higher, approaching their limited capacity.

Grass, stringy roots and soil matter began to creep around her lower limbs. I stiffen, the hot skin on my spine jerks and both ears drift further back along my adorned skull. Dappled rays of sunlight shone down on us both -- creating natural ripples against the living canvas. My eyes snap from her lean ankles and forlegs, they land upon the soft, dry flora around us. Those autumn blades quiver beneath a breeze, bending willingly in whatever direction the wind seemed to take. But no stringy creatures came up from the earth to ensnare me, the suspicious wanderer.

Her flat conclusion doesn't delude me from taking one more careful pass of the ground ahead and around, "No, I'm not," at least there's some strength returning to my tone. These vocals are increasingly steady. Hopefully, she isn't expecting me to go into even vague details of my past; I couldn't say that I'd originated from anywhere -- my mother had labored and delivered me on the road. She raised me up on those worn trails between countries and whole continents. There is no place, we (I) traveled to and lingered at long enough to settle. But this life didn't bother me; migrators, or gypsy's aren't uncommon. "I've never heard or seen anything like that -- only in stories." Stories pale in comparison to witnessing the truth of this...oddity. "Could you...stop doing that?" There was a slight quiver that I'm not proud of, "Please..." I wasn't going to OPENLY admit my fear of this strange vixen.

Camon

wanted to belong here

@[Isopia]

ISOPIA
His confirmation caused her head to bob gently in recognition that she had been right. It didn't surprise her - all of her assumptions and premises had led her to the correct conclusion, and now that she knew the truth, she didn't find the subject interesting any more. She didn't bother to ask, where are you from? or how are you enjoying it here, or even, is there anything about these lands you need to know? - as others might have. Her mother certainly would have, but social confirmation and politeness were out of the girl's reach. They seemed so utterly pointless. If he wanted to know, he could ask.

As his attention was drawn to the magic visibly creeping up her legs, she shook her head decisvely once.

"No I can't." She responded, her voice distant and clearly un-bothered by the fear that had crept into his. However her golden gaze did dip lower, watching as the beginning of a vine and ivy sprouted around her knee and continued up to her chest. The sight of it made her smile. Her magic alone allowed her to witness nature in full speed. Watching grass grow was meant to signal a boring task, or one which couldn't be watched. But here she could. On her own limbs she could watch it grow - and with haste and beauty. The girl smiled, and then, remembering Camon's statement, became frustrated. It wasn't as if it was growing on him, so what did it matter?

"This type of magic is in my blood. The other kind - with the water - I can control. But this ... this just happens to me anytime I stand still. You see -" Raising a forelimb, all of the accumulated greenery promptly fell off in a lump around her hooves. Yet as she set her hoof back onto the ground, it immediately turned to dirt and the process began anew.

Shrugging her blood splattered shouldered, she returned her gaze to the hybrid. "Just because it's new doesn't mean it should bother you. Not understanding something isn't a reason to avoid it." She advised, her tone academic and bordering on condescending.

Image Credits

Hidden Account
Angel

An agitated snort for this little ray of mystical sunshine fans these nostrils apart. Her talents and manner of wielding them are distracting my miniscule desire to ask any further questions, not to mention it was still frightening my unsure nerve. "Uh." Was all response those bored remarks deserve, I was bold enough to wonder if she'd be offended by a sarcastic lash -- then instantly (wisely) decided against it. Seeing as those bat things still lurked on either side. "Guess your pretty d-... special..." Hooray for you. My forelegs unhitch, they tremble but grow firm by will. I didn't grace that last statement with an immediate response -- Miss Special, could have the damn tree and all the grass below it.

I'd already exceeded my personal expectations for this conversation. Purposely this frame shifts, pivoting in the completely opposite direction of the girl, "Good luck with..." Good luck with what? My mind chucks out a poorly handled reply that mimicked her callus way of address, "Life." All ivory feathers tighten against sore ribs. I'd almost forgotten about that... with fearborn reluctance these lungs draw a shaky breath and turn my eyes away. Leaving this witch who wasn't really a witch to peer at the distant treeline.

Later, when my heel prints are miles from here (and her) -- this whole adventure would have felt like a dream, one I'd find the courage to laugh at. Cackle at the foolish fear of a child and her tricks, ride it off as the excuberant fantasy's of a tired gypsy. Surely none of it had been real. Surely. That is the bull this brain would fabricate as it tried to convince itself out of a hole. But this heart would known the truth, and tonight I'd dream of her. The silken blood stained cloak she wore and its unusual decor. Those gilden horns and the calculating mask worn as either a wall or inability to feel empathy. My midnight scape would be filled with random mud beasts of every shape and size -- some as small as a blade of grass and others (the nameless ones) towering above the mighty elder red oak.

But for now.

Walking away....before anything else can happen.

Camon

wanted to belong here

@[Isopia] - feel free to stop him if ya want ;) otherwise camon out

ISOPIA
Good luck with ... life.

What a perfectly daft thing to say. Why would one need luck with life? Life was already set - determined. Just as a leaf, when pulled off of a tree must necessarily fall a specific way as dictated by the weather, winds, and gravity, so too much each life play out the way it is destined to. Once begun, nothing can intervene in a way that it wasn't already meant to. There was no luck - there was only seeing what will happen and the roll that you will play in it.

As Camon's spotted hindend turned to face her, Isopia stared blankly. She wasn't annoyed, or put off by this gesture. Not did she even bother to shrug; she was completely unaffected by his decision to end their ... discussion? Conversation? Lesson? Whatever it was, the girl didn't mind one way or the other that it was over. Camon hadn't been intellectually challenging enough for her (although he seemed intellectually challenged), and she seemed to bother him. Neither of these things she could fault them for, nor care about it.

And so, breathing deeply, the girl went about her original task: watering the tree. Two dragons of considerable size slowly materialized out of the air, composed entirely of water. Their massive bodies flew high around the tree, only to break apart and shower the limbs with moisture once again. Rain filtered down through the tree, and the earthen-girl breathed deeply, enjoying the sent of pseudo-rain and moist earth. She especially enjoyed the absence of any more hybrids who fell out of the branches.

Image Credits