the Rift

[OPEN] Silent beauty, silent ending [Torleik]

Torleik the Bloodskald Posts: 354
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 :: 11 HP: 66.5 | Buff: SWIFT
Irelyn :: Plain Griffin :: Molten Dagger RedGod
Torleik the Bloodskald

With someone I could live for; nowhere I would rather be

But how could she blame him for conjuring his own doubts and fears into tangible words when the white-and-crimson mare never breathed a word of her actions or intentions to the Bloodskald? Too often was he left alone with his own insecurities and secondhand knowledge; too little was Ophelia with him, near him, speaking to him. And she was displeased he worried? That he coveted her? That Gaucho was perceived as a threat?

Her ear flicked back and both of his angled behind as well - and Torleik could have cared less if anyone thought he was paying attention at that point. What Ophelia replied to him then welled up a rage akin to the black, consuming pit that had swallowed him upon seeing Mauja's unworthy muzzle touch her perfect skin, but rage would not win him this battle. Rage would not win him her heart.

It would keep his safe from the painful barbs she drove deeper every time she neglected to put up the feeblest of fights for him, to keep him.

Because it hurt to watch her give up on him time and again. It hurt to know that all he'd done, tried to do, promise he'd kept, things he'd said...they were not enough to make her trust him. To make her want or need him.

To make her love him.

Sadly, it did not change the truth in his heart, and the Bloodskald could be burdened by his secret no longer. He was tired, tired of this dance, and she needed to know what was at stake for him. That Ophelia stared at him, dumbstruck, didn't surprise him, but it did sting. Dully. Somewhere beneath the ire that was still protecting him. To think she would question his admittance was a consideration not far from his mind, but the inquiry she did pose was a shock.

How?

...how?

She dared question how he was capable of loving her, as if it should not have come to pass?

A bitter snort echoed into her mental space. "Because I am a man and I have a heart?" But the retort was the culmination of his anger, for anger it a hard emotion to nurse and keep strong. It consumes like a fire and once all the oxygen is gone, it cannot sustain itself. The Bloodskald was weary of feeling angry, and his rage gave way to a nadir of emotional fatigue bordering on apathy. It did not impact his sincerity. "Because I have seen you, broken, bought low; I have seen you raised up. You are the same woman no matter where life puts you - above or below others. You are wounded, and lonely, and sad. Like me. You are strong and beautiful - and...perhaps...unattainable. You deserve a king of kings, a famed warrior of whom the bards sing. I am not that man. I am a bastard son of common blood - but my blood is loyal. My heart is not a ship, buffeted by the wind, like the others in life whom you've wished to love. I am the rock in the sea upon which the waves break. Boring. Underwhelming. But I'm hard to move."

A sigh punctuated his gruffly poetic speech, and his eyes fell to the ground. Torleik's hooves shifted and he watched the grass and dirt beneath crust over with a thin sheet of ice, which he cracked beneath a new step almost dejectedly. "I love you because I want to love you. I want to soothe your wounds, pick up your broken pieces, smooth over the chips and chunks taken out of your soul. I wish to make you happy, to see you smile, to bring you comfort. Even if you were to reject me, here and now, push me away and tell me you never wanted me and never will, I would still love you because...I know your heart. I care. And I wish...I wish for a path in life that will find you with less pain. I wish more than anything to be a part of that path, to walk it with you, but I know my fate is not of my own choosing. If I am not meant to be for you what I want, then I will do for you what I can, and I will find my own path, one day."

He had spoken far more words than he'd intended, but such truths had been welling up within him for over a season now. To only let part of the dam leak free was a fool's notion; once the levees broke, the whole flood would come forth. He deigned to leave out that should Ophelia crush his love into the ground it would destroy him and leave him a far more broken man than before, because why should she suffer the burden of his well-being? It was his risk to take, his pursuit to make. He had to be a man.

Torleik's eyes lifted, seeking hers out, hopeful, open, leaving no corner of his soul shadowed to her. Perhaps now she would trust him. Maybe this was necessary.

Maybe now she would love him, too.

@[Ophelia]

------------------------------------------------
Don't mind his deluge of feels. ;-;

"talk talk talk"

Art by Veradaine @ DA
[Image: 531c0b471919e]

No man is an island.
Pixel by: Tamme :D

Please tag me in all posts! Thank you!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Silent beauty, silent ending [Torleik] - by Torleik - 04-26-2015, 12:38 PM