the Rift

Guard you from the light [Mesec]

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah
a light from the shadows shall spring

“Faster than you?” He questioned quietly with a grin, not sure if he could catch up to the quick movements of Ophelia. She wasn’t much smaller than him - just by a couple inches - but the difference in their speed was noticeable. If he did not have the help of his magic she might very well dance circles around him while he was trying to catch up and land a glancing nip or blow with his hooves. All the same, he welcomed the advice that she gave him and took it to heart. From then on he tried to pay more attention to how she moved - trying to figure out what she might try next. He did not think like a warrior, that much he already knew, but he was so willing to learn and knew that she could teach him. In the cool night, his moonlight eyes flashed as he paid close attention to the mare, the mother figure, that was with him, teaching him and guiding him with her soft words and sharp nips.

After the completion of his attack there was a brief window where he felt a little proud, feeling the impact, before he remembered himself. Mesec wasn’t one to cause injury and not worry about the outcome. The concern rushed over him and he turned to see whether she was okay. “Ophelia.” Her name slipped out, quiet like all of his actions. It only got worse, his worry, and with it there was a quick stab of guilt as she seemed to move in more of a stiff manner after his attack landed. Maybe he was imagining things, even by the full light of the moon small things were more difficult to see, but he could have sworn that she winced - her nostrils flaring - as soon as she put weight on that side. She had only nipped him, after all, perhaps he should not have put so much behind his attack. His immediate reaction was to put a stop to this spar, to tend to her injuries now that he knew he could, and see that she was okay.

But she did not stop and he’d defer to her judgement on the matter. If she thought she was okay to continue, Mesec wouldn’t interfere. They had come together to spar, after all.

Only, suddenly, he couldn’t seem to remember where she even was. Hadn’t he just been looking at her? He had been watching the way her slender, pale legs moved so that he could predict what was coming next - thinking she might try a different approach than the last time. He was forgetting his surroundings in the process, forgetting to pay attention to what was around them, and only paid attention to her. Only now she did not seem quite capable of focusing on her either. “Where…” He was searching his mind for where she was, it was as though she had disappeared, he was just looking at her! For a quick, confusing second there was absolutely nothing before a hazy memory of her movement gave him enough warning to jerk away - his left wing unfolding in a quick reflex action to give him balance as he stepped to his right so that her teeth grazed along his skin.

It was then that he remembered Ophelia's magic and understood why he had not remembered where she stood in relation to him. It seemed only fair - one magic trick in response to another.

Thinking quickly, he extended the large, feathered limb further - a loose black coverlet getting caught by the cool night wind as he did so - hoping to catch her on her side. Well, he hoped that he wouldn't do more than buffet her lightly, perhaps with the long flight feathers that would not cause as much damage as farther up the wing with the strong muscles. He did not wish to cause her any more damage than he already had. They were here to spar, yes, but he was unable to shake the fretting and because of that, unwilling to put more effort or strength behind his attack.

-------
@[Ophelia]
2/3 - 684 words using wordcounter.net

- Ophelia’s magic is not 100% effective (?? see question below!) and Mesec is able to move his hip just enough that her teeth scrape against his skin but don’t leave a lasting mark.
- In reflex (and attack) Mesec’s left wing shoots out for balance when he tries to side-step away and avoid Ophelia’s bite and he hopes to buffet her with it

image by Blu

Questions and Things

a) alright so I definitely was looking more at the HP hit that Mesec took from Ophelia rather than the damage dice roll, so that was how I based the damage on in the post. The damage that is taken is the "1d6 rolled for a total of: 2 (2)" part of the stats thread, yes? Thank you for the helpful description of what each number would be associated with for the damage taken, I'll definitely have to remember that for the future! Although I have to admit the mention of a scar was partially just for the joke about his moms ;D but maybe not the best time for that haha.

Does the amount of HP removed affect the character then at all throughout the battle? Or even afterwards? Would more HP being removed affect them differently than fewer?

b) Ah! I will have to watch my language, I think was trying to describe more the angle than the proximity so I will definitely be more careful about that in the future.

c) For the stats, how much of a difference is a speed stat of 7 vs a speed stat of 5? And is Ophelia's SWIFT buffer already in her stats or would her speed be 7 + 1

d) Do the stat rolls have anything to do with how effective magic is? Or is that up to the players to decide? Like, in this post because the damage was low (right?) I thought maybe Ophelia's magic wouldn't be 100% effective, giving Mesec enough warning to move his hip away from her teeth.

e) How do you decide what attack to use next? I'm not really sure about Mesec's attack in this post, I feel like it is awkward but I couldn't think of something else that wouldn't be making assumptions on positioning or closeness.

You know I started writing this post thinking "naw I only have one question!"

Also I am sorry for taking the full 3 weeks to get this up!!
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Messages In This Thread
Guard you from the light [Mesec] - by Ophelia - 04-19-2015, 11:33 PM
RE: Guard you from the light [Mesec] - by Mesec - 04-21-2015, 06:18 PM
RE: Guard you from the light [Mesec] - by Ophelia - 04-26-2015, 02:08 AM
RE: Guard you from the light [Mesec] - by Mesec - 04-28-2015, 08:58 PM
RE: Guard you from the light [Mesec] - by Ophelia - 05-06-2015, 08:44 PM
RE: Guard you from the light [Mesec] - by Mesec - 05-27-2015, 07:30 PM
RE: Guard you from the light [Mesec] - by Blu - 06-21-2015, 12:14 PM