the Rift

[OPEN] Mad World

Ulrik the Engineer Posts: 235
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 hh :: 11 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kirchoff :: Common Hellhound :: Superspeed Tamme
ULRIK the ENGINEER

Generalizations were always bad. See what he did there? He was not good, that he would readily admit. But, compared to all the wrong-deeds he had committed in his lifetime, actually helping Kahlua and her herd was on the spectrum of good. For once, he served his herd to help others – equines and pegasi no less, and he did so without reservation. Why then was she so upset? Why was everyone taking this so personally? Her friend died – Midas – but that was hardly a reason to blame him, and he marveled at the fact that he would be greeted as a friend by nearly any other herd now. Him! Ulrik!

Even Kahlua had given him a hug, and Ulrik saw her as a pacifistic girl. The Falls had stolen Lena, whom he rescued with threats of violence, and he was not bitching and moaning about that, now was he? Even with all this evidence, he did not open his mouth because in some way, he understood the need to just hate. The stallion sighed heavily, watching darkness start to cast its cloak over day, and the mechanical bird he made continued to hop around useless, miming the behaviors of its real counterpart.

Ulrik did not fully understand what drove him to stand here now. The red mare was intriguing, but she had a bare head just like so many others. Plain. Inglorious blood. Compared to his noble crowns fit for a king, cloven hooves and lion tail, she was miserably poor. In fact, he pitied her for her lack of pure blood, lost as she was in the ambiguity of mediocrity. And yet, he could not call her average. Something about her eyes – the way she carried herself… Well, it was anything but average. White eyes stared at him like snowflakes in the forest, and he was not sure he had ever seen a coat so red before.

She was alluring, and that was confusing. How could any ignoble blooded creature ever hold such pull over him? Torleik would roll his eyes at his thoughts, but he would dare his cousin to feel differently. Even he was with some dirty blooded freak, but she had a spiral on her forehead.

Was this weakness or evolution? The world changed and shifted, adapting to factors large and unyielding. He would be foolish not to do the same, right? His head hurt.

Ulrik grunted at her point, shifting his weight onto a single hip. “I suspected, but I did not know for sure,” he said. “When I first captured you, my plan was to release you once we got to the Aurora Basin, but when I saw mobilization for war, I held onto you. Good tactics.” The stallion blinked in her direction. “What difference would it have made if I told you when I found out or not?” he asked. “You would not have been able to fight, either way.” The stallion watched her curiously, trying not to infer more from her body language; she was hard to read.

“At least you know you did what you could, and you did not lose. From what I heard, your presence would not have made a difference, and that marks poor leadership and planning,” he said simply, holding neither grudge nor vehemence. It was simple fact. The better prepared and stronger herd would win, as they deserved. “I would know. I lost my first home by a breath,” he grunted, thinking back to fucking Mirage and her fucking dragon. The very memory of her brought a sour taste to his mouth, and he sulked for a moment.

Betrayal? They were not friends for him to begin to betray her! “I could have told you, yes. I didn’t. Again, it would have made no difference.” The stallion snorted, shaking his head. “We were at first very peaceful until we were forcibly removed from our first home. When the God of Time gave us his land, he ordered us to not make allies. My band has not had the best of luck regarding the rest of Helovia and their rumors and spite.” That was true. Prior to the Qian’s invasion of the World’s Edge, the group of unicorns had been unremarkable and peaceful.

“And similarly, you know nothing about me Essetia, nothing,” he grunted, taking a commanding step forward. As he lifted his neck, he seemed to grow in size – a looming, dark shadow of wild mane, beard and horns. “I am sorry you were collateral, but I did not purposefully betray you. Helping the Edge was new for me; I generally stay stuck to my machines and ignore everyone else for this very reason. You… others… are sticky… and…” he stumbled, grumbling a little bit and frowning. “And so few of you take the opportunity to see beyond your own hooves, feelings and ‘cherish’ to actually look.”

Ulrik frowned, dark, velvet lips in an unhappy curve. “I thought you would be one who could open her eyes and see beyond herself.” Maybe he was wrong. He held back the opinion that if everything she cherished was in the Falls then she did not cherish very much. “I did not want to give up on you so quickly, and I was… he grunted as if the very thought of the feeling was uncomfortable. “… was concerned. I did not know Midas meant so much to know; I did not even really know who he was.”

Well this would sting. “I am sorry if you feel I betrayed you.” That was monumental for Ulrik, and he stood his ground, cloven hooves sinking in the soft Earth as he took a deep breath. Wary eyes watched her, wondering what she would do with this offered emotion.

Credits: Image by LyrebirdBlue @ DA

@[Essetia]

(Please tag me in every post)

Messages In This Thread
Mad World - by Essetia - 04-22-2015, 08:26 PM
RE: Mad World - by Ulrik - 04-23-2015, 10:33 PM
RE: Mad World - by Essetia - 04-24-2015, 02:23 AM
RE: Mad World - by Ulrik - 04-25-2015, 01:27 AM
RE: Mad World - by Essetia - 04-27-2015, 10:46 PM
RE: Mad World - by Ulrik - 04-28-2015, 08:46 PM
RE: Mad World - by Essetia - 05-01-2015, 12:46 AM
RE: Mad World - by Ulrik - 05-02-2015, 10:45 PM