the Rift

[OPEN] Mad World

Ulrik the Engineer Posts: 235
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.1 hh :: 11 HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Kirchoff :: Common Hellhound :: Superspeed Tamme
ULRIK the ENGINEER

Ulrik would have fought given the chance – let’s make one thing clear. But, his duties had been more defensive as of late, and thus is began dabbling, not in war, but in strategy and stealing. Such subversive actions were not his preference, but he understood the necessity. Few noticed the black shadow lurking in the corners of the world, bronze eyes spying from a distance. For as odd as he looked, he remained a silent fixture in the world – an unknown name, and that was to his advantage. Many knew of the great sentinels that guarded the stony gates of the Aurora Basin, but few knew their creator, their mastermind. Mares turned their heated gaze to nobler stallions, ones who would become leaders, and he was summarily ignored. Not that he was complaining. He enjoyed solitude.

The stallion listened to her speak, explain why she thought she needed to be there to fight. Not giving up was…honorable, he supposed. He did not agree. When Psyche was losing the war against the Dragon’s Throat, he had turned his back on his enemy and walked away, not finding the fight worth his time when his leader had failed so completely. There was no use in fighting anymore. The battle was lost. Why waste the energy?

Shared pride? Shared sadness? Why? Why did she want to share the emotions of anyone else, and why would she want to be there to lose? None of that made sense, and to Ulrik, it never would. The notion of family was lost to him, except with Torleik. Torleik was blood. Cousin. Relative. He couldn't escape Torleik even if he wanted to, but Essetia wanted to make a choice to lose a battle just to be with those bonded for temporary reasons? Nonsense.

“A greater purpose does not necessarily mean a group purpose,” he replied solemnly. “Why would you want to feel their sadness when that would make you sad? Why would you go into a battle knowing you were going to lose? Would it not have been better to yield and save everyone the pain?” He asked sternly. Had the battle for the Edge so long ago been a heavily tilted battle, he may not have fought. But, the numbers were nearly equal, and the Qian had only won by a hair. So, he had participated for as long as he could – until Mirage wiped him out completely with her fat, scaled ass.

The stallion sighed, understanding her desire to know. Perhaps he should have warned her then – that made sense to him, and he nodded in agreement. “You should have been warned – I agree. I was not thinking at the time about anything except Midas’ body,” he grumbled, black lips curling down into a frown. He shrugged slightly at her accusation, having not considered that before. Ulrik was not afraid of what she would have done or what lengths she would have gone to – in fact he would have welcomed the challenge. Honestly, the thought never really crossed his mind. Though, he did not exactly want to tell her that, no.

“Wars are either won or lost. I fought with the rest of my kin bravely, but when three herds collide against you and the very goddess you served turns her back, my heart does not matter anymore. At some point, no matter how much you give a shit, the world will crush you with numbers or lack of skill. Both defined the loss of your herd, but for us… we were unlucky.” The conversation shifted, and his ears tilted back warily, narrowing his hooded gaze over vibrant, bronze eyes, seeing the way she stepped forward. What world was she wanting to show him? Death? Revenge? He was not so sure that he could trust her so quickly after all he had done.

She may be a curiosity, a strange little cacophony of emotion and spirit, and where she acted, he purposefully did not. Essetia was a fighter and he was a player, and there was a big difference. Fighters punched and kicked until their knuckles and toes bled, only stopping when dragged off the field. Players watched and waited, taking victories where they could be taken and weighing the outcome of the rest. He would guess that his way was smarter, and he strove for intelligence in all things.

Dumbfounded, he tilted his ears forward, as if trying to listen since he was sure he did not hear her correctly. Forgiven? Ulrik blinked, trying to understand why she would do that. Yes, that was one of his goals in all of this, but he did not expect it to actually happen. The stallion watched her approach still, wondering why she had gone from hating him to wanting to be close – not that he minded, she smelled nice. He tilted his head to the side and lifted one side of his mouth in a wry smile. “I do not understand you,” he said, the words almost humorous as they left his lips.

He could nearly forget that she was an equine. She had intelligence that surpassed the common rabble of all species, and that blinded him completely. "What is it exactly you want to show me?"

Credits: Image by LyrebirdBlue @ DA

@[Essetia]

(Please tag me in every post)

Messages In This Thread
Mad World - by Essetia - 04-22-2015, 08:26 PM
RE: Mad World - by Ulrik - 04-23-2015, 10:33 PM
RE: Mad World - by Essetia - 04-24-2015, 02:23 AM
RE: Mad World - by Ulrik - 04-25-2015, 01:27 AM
RE: Mad World - by Essetia - 04-27-2015, 10:46 PM
RE: Mad World - by Ulrik - 04-28-2015, 08:46 PM
RE: Mad World - by Essetia - 05-01-2015, 12:46 AM
RE: Mad World - by Ulrik - 05-02-2015, 10:45 PM