the Rift

[OPEN] my king and queen [Edge Leads Competition]

Kahlua the Sunshower Posts: 662
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3hh :: 9 [Orangemoon] HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Khan :: Common Blue Dragon :: Frost Breath Sevin
KAHLUA
His breath against her hide… more crawling skin- the trill of some birds around, chirping in time with the rhythm and song that nature had created- revealing everything, but the queen didn’t care anymore. Let him know, let him see, because… because she knew that if this had been Kaj here, his wing over her shoulders, the words would have been so very different. Everyone is counting on you, you have to do this, this is what is –expected- of you. Responsibility, dedication… Kaj was tireless. But tireless was not what she needed. She needed reprieve, she needed understanding. She was hot and impulsive, fire. She needed ice to cool her.

The Frostheart spoke.

Maybe he was right. She didn’t have to do this. She didn’t have to be picking leaders and deciding who got to keep this land. She didn’t have to do any of this, except… maybe she did, and maybe, as she walked across the glass wall and looked back to the land and once more felt the pain of finality- of leaving- she knew why she had to do this. For a moment the words stuck in her throat, a proclamation not daring to be spoken, but one that had to be. Because he had to know, and because she would have to say it eventually anyways. Murmuring, so only he could hear, she sealed her fate. “I have to know who I will call king and queen… my king and queen.” Furrowing her brow, she raised her head, trying as she always did to glean some understanding from Mauja’s face, where he always offered nothing. Perhaps someday she would learn how to read him.

Raising her muzzle higher then, she whispered a few more words, lipping at the point of the ear that he still held back against his head, the action almost playful… hopeful? She dared not hope too much, though. Hope had gotten her so little.

Silently contemplating for most of the walk, talking if others wanted and trying to be somewhat pleasant, if she could manage it, the queen was thankful when they finally arrived at the Throat, or at least the entranceway. It had changed so much since she had last been here. Hence the key, she supposed. Shooing Khan from her back, reminding him what the fire king looked like, the queen sent him off to summon the king. Lipping at the key around her neck, not really sure how it worked, she gathered a few around her and strode forward anyways, trusting that… something would happen. Something did.

Like she had wings of fire, the spotted woman was whisked over the water, the sensation similar to the one she had felt on the clouds. She was flying, yet trapped- it was not exactly freedom, and yet… It was close. When she finally landed on the other side, and when everyone had gathered once again, the queen searched for Gaucho. Her feathered blue heralded his arrival, at which Kahlua bowed her head kindly enough. It was late in the day by now, the sun dancing over the western horizon, and she was sure Gaucho was tired, so she was glad he had made time for this little endeavor. It was funny, how happy she felt now that she had admitted herself to Mauja, now that she no longer had to pretend she was going to return to the Falls with the men that she couldn’t stand to look at. It was like a weight lifted off her shoulder, and in many ways she felt free.

When all was settled, and when she had properly greeted Gaucho with a hello and how-do-you-do, officially reminding him why the group was here, the queen began. “Helovia is in a draught. Food is scarce everywhere and your herd is growing skinnier by the day. You’ve heard the Throat has some plants that are thriving in the heat and you’ve come here looking for help. Convince Gaucho to help you.” Having had time to cool off, to recover from the fact that she hated all of them, the queen found herself actually interested in what they had to say. Would they bargain or beg? Make deals? What would she have done? Closing her eyes for a minute, she thought.

OOC| Aud said Kahlua could take herself and a couple others across the bridge with her key. So she’ll take @[Mauja], and @[Thor]. A throat NPC will take @[Arah] and @[Kiara]. @[Artorius] and @[Amaris] can fly. @[Maren] will take @[Verlaine] across on a boat, per Yewrezz. Now you all know how you got into the Throat :D Anybody else who came with can use a Throat NPC to enter via the bridge, per Aud.

@[Gaucho] first, please. You have 5 days to respond, as before.

Please PM your responses to the task to Kahlua and Gaucho, to help encourage creativity. You can sort of gloss over that part of your post.

If you are posting to this thread, you cannot post to Phi's thread, and vice-versa.
LeadeR
world's edge
Image Credit

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kahlua at any time
for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Please do not tag Kahlua unless it is in an opening post

Lena the Songbird Posts: 663
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 4 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Imogen :: Common Kitsune :: Fire Heather

The Songbird had been a mere witness in the chasm of furtive movements, in the breech of specious moments, in the slicing scabbards, in the twisting, gnarled words and the blunt, pointed fingers. Immersed in their wanton, coveting splendor, transfixed by their brooding anomalies, by their bitter predilections, by every word contained and split from their mouths, she’d been still, unnoticed, grasping at their nuances, at their phrases, at their rancorous edges. Had that been the display of their diplomacy? She’d been a consul once, had been a soaring emissary, searching and seeking out the fringes, the borders of other worlds to aid her brethren – and never had she uttered so many insults, thrown so many combative gestures, wandered and partook in a nasty, boiling dispute. Had the laws of the land changed and altered so much in her stead within the Basin? While she lain, stolen, on a bed of ferns? Were these the expectations of a great leader, puffing chests and slinging mud? Her face may have said it all, the disappointed remnants of her brow drifting into sullen musing, the arch of her eyes as they widened at another transgression tossed into the mire, the barest, grimmest line to her lips drawn as one more blast of fire was harpooned into the fray. But she was a shadow in the silver lining, in the grasping, clenching limelight, unnoticed, unseen, with too many beasts clawing for their chance, for their opportunity. The Mender had watched Mauja give her a nod of recognition (as if they’d been two ships passing, he never her leader, she never a healer of his brethren, and that stung too, to be so readily forgotten), then blast and hurl his way through each and every being. She’d watched those clinging to birthright hope they could pass into the slot by simple heir-dom (and she’d wanted to ask about those who’d lived there prior to their invasion, the first children of the Edge, what were they to receive?). She’d watched a mare of the Falls yearn to spit upon them for their actions. She’d watched the Dragonheart, still fearsome, still overwhelming, growl and sneer at the once King, and Arah step into place, try her best to find her voice in the enormous crowd. Her mind had burned with desired whispers, with fleeting attempts, with a hushed begging, pleading, for it all to end (please, stop it) – and it only did with a series of announcements, with the culmination of one moment, spilling over into the next. And still, she was silent.

She followed, over the wavering plains, along the sinking sun, under the lights and beams of high-rising heat, of summer sovereign even when Orangemoon rattled their bones. Fox and nymph traversed closer and closer with the gathering, beckoning towards the Dragon’s Throat, lingering near threads of conversation or passing beasts along the edges. A hum of disappointment flickered around her, and Imogen sensed its upheaval, brushed the tips of her tails against her forelegs, caused a meager smile to grace the Mender’s mouth. The displeasure could have been lanced towards either herself, the candidates, or both, because she felt no grace, finesse, or poise at being a soundless object in the background, granting nothing towards her role but being one more pair of eyes and ears twisting in the direction of heresy, in the direction of virtue. She was tired of hearing their bloodthirsty requiems and their bludgeoned pride, why someone deserved it or why they didn’t – and perhaps, along the end of these tasks, someone would emerge with grander ideas and fiercer notions, could rise past the choking, strangling, suffocating whims of resentful, mercurial interludes, and become the leader they longed to be.

So, she maneuvered through the fire, across the bridge, dazzled again by its powers, and emerged on the other side, ready to assist Kahlua all over again, brushing behind her like the waiting soldier, the protective armor, waiting for the others to wax poetical on their current undertaking. Perhaps this time, these moments, would be different, and they could cease casting stones, and decide what discretion, relations, and statecraft truly was.

[Permission to post with Kahlua because Sevin forgot me and Lena's supposed to be helping. XDD <3]

Lena the Songbird

tomorrow will be kinder
image credits
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd
With fire to keep us warm, and tools we made from rocks and bones

Gaucho had no opinion when it came to how the Edge had decided to chose its next King and Queen. The Wildfire knew how he would have chosen, but that mattered little. The only concern he had was whether or not the Moon Goddess would somehow be apart of these trials ... He had not heard so much as a whisper of her since her banishment back to the Edge. While Gaucho knew the draw of power was very sensual and irresistible, he would have thought residing in the lands of one who had killed so many might have been a deterrent.

Then again, he could say the same about those in his herd.

Snorting, the Wildfire watched impassively as his guards let in those who traveled with Kahlua. He did not follow Khan immediately, but instead watched to ensure that there was no ... funny business going on. Given the recent invasion, his security had been increased. Not for fear of the old Edge or the Basin, but of the changing tides in the new Edge, and the new Foothills.

After a time, on wings of fire, Gaucho landed near the assembled group. He politely returned Kahlua's greeting, before apprising the group she had delivered. Some faces he knew, others he didn't. Two however stood out: Amaris and Mauja. That one of his own had gone behind his back to seek leadership outside of their home, was troubling. He knew that the girl had been born in the Edge, but she had come here of her own volition - had pledged her loyalty to the Dragon's Throat. Gaucho had even granted her a high ranking position of her choosing, and what did she do? She disappeared, only to emerge in the Edge, seeking an even higher throne.

Snorting, Gaucho's hardened blue gaze fell upon Mauja only briefly, before turning his attention to Kahlua and the scenario she described. Ears twisting to catch her words, the Wildfire turned to the those assembled to hear what solutions they offered.

Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
He had seen the glass wall in its glory—and he had seen it as it was now, shattered, ruins, remnants of a past era. He had never understood why they had built it. Wolves and cougars had never threatened the herd when it had been his, so clearly, it was built to keep something else out. Or something else in?

Those who had spoken of peace, of open minds.. had built a wall. What had they feared? Mauja's scattered wolves? Or, the truth? The truth about themselves? He shook his head as he passed, careful not to cut himself on the edges time had not yet managed to smooth out. It was, he figured, as d'Artagnan had told him a few years ago: he looked for reason within the actions of the Qian, when in truth, there was none to be found. He had thought them better, worthier, and it filled the hollows up with displeasure each time he came to the conclusion that he was wrong.

.. my king and queen. He had been staring intently ahead, moving like a stalking cat with a tensed back, ears trapped against a thick neck. The only thing that changed was his eyes. Slowly they slid sideways, to peer at the woman walking beside him. Kahlua.. was not going to the Falls? Was that what she meant? That she would not lead with Kaj and Archibald anymore? That she would stay, here?

Something in his heart started to bloom, spread its wings, soar, and the words she whispered into his ears unclenched them. Black tips swept forward again, wonder written in the pale depths of his eyes. It had to mean what he thought it did. It had to mean that he would not lose her to the Falls, to a life he could not follow her into—to some other man, who could not handle the fact that Kahlua made her own decisions.

"Only you could make it worth it," he said quietly.

The Throat.

As he stood, still next to Kahlua, where the waters swallowed the bridge, he felt a small spark of anger stir again, shadow of his rage when he had first seen what they had done. It was a winged darkness stirring in his breast, smoldering, embers glowing hot as the dark phoenix within breathed a ghost of its rage.

But then, owls tangled in his mane, he flew.

It was not flight as the owls knew it; it was not flight as he knew it, having ridden storms with his brother, but it was.. it was soaring, being weightless, held above the world, and—

He buried all of it. He buried all of it so deep he hoped he would never stumble upon its grave again.

Then that almost familiar sand was beneath his hooves, the owls disentangling themselves from his long hair with a surly look. He glanced at them. It never ceased to amaze him how utterly disapproving and insulted they could look. Irma even went so far as to make a noise of annoyance before taking to the sky with Diego, though they remained close above his head.

He had been here before. He had even called it home, albeit briefly, when there had been no moon, no sun, no stars. He had been hungry, then—hungry for revenge, for a throne that wasn't his, eager to slide the fine blade of his knife in between Kri's ribs and listen for the gasp as he gave it a twist.. to whisper in her ear, you have been betrayed.

But that had all gone to hell. The moon's return, Mirage, Gaucho and Midas had seen to that.

Speaking of.. Gaucho came into their midst, and Mauja glanced at Kahlua, then thought of Torleik's silent nod. Perhaps, part of being a leader was just that—being humble. Being better than yourself. Being above your prejudice and grudges.

Mauja wiped both soul and face clean, then acknowledged the fiery leader with a deep nod.

“Helovia is in a draught. Food is scarce everywhere and your herd is growing skinnier by the day. You’ve heard the Throat has some plants that are thriving in the heat and you’ve come here looking for help. Convince Gaucho to help you.”

Again, his gaze drifted, and settled on Lena. Why was she here? What was her purpose?
And beneath that, is she still happy? Still safe? Does she still smile bright enough to outshine the sun?

I'm not worthy.

He had abandoned too many. Wanted to turn around, and leave. He would only disappoint. Dreams would shatter and turn to dust in his presence. Could he be better than Mirage—and not build walls? Could he.. could he be all he once had been?

Slowly, he stepped forward, regal head tilting to one side as he regarded Gaucho before coming to stand before him.

He had no idea what he was doing—he was out on thin ice, unsure of whether he was meant to describe what he would do, or to.. play it out. His eyes swept a slow arc in front of him, before closing. He breathed in. He didn't belong here. Breathed out. Opened his eyes and peered at Gaucho, before filling the tentative silence with his clear voice.

"I come in peace," was what he said at first, and for a moment, the ghost of his past self was there with them, lurking in the lines of his body, in the grace of his pose. Then, the corner of his dark mouth curled up in a shrewd half-smile. Unlike the last time I was here. "And if my herd was starving, I would come here in peace, too. To even attempt launching an attack would be madness, considering that the Throat has the food. They're bound to be in better shape, and unless I was dead certain I could overwhelm them with sheer numbers, diplomacy would be my best bet.

"I'm assuming I come here as King of World's Edge. If Gaucho agreed to meet with me-" considering we have some history, "-I would make my case. My herd is starving, and we've heard there's plants in the Throat that thrive in the heat." His head cocked to one side. "There's two vital questions, though. The first one is, would this plant survive in another climate? The earth of the Edge is different. The second one is, would Gaucho's herd survive and thrive on shared resources? After all, he has no obligation to help us—least of all if it would risk the well-being of his own herd.

"There are only two things I could offer, aside from my heart and I'm not ready to part with that yet. I would offer the services of my Glaziers-" and whores, by the sound of that sentence, idiot "-for whatever need the Throat may have, even if it means creating weapons to be used against us. That, we can deal with, if it means surviving for now. If not interested in that, I would outright beg for his help in exchange of a debt, to be cashed in at any time." But don't make me do that. And besides, you don't want to do it either. I'm not exactly known for keeping my promises. He glanced at Kahlua. He wasn't sure he was convincing anyone. He was just.. rambling. Yeah.

"If it is probable the plant would survive in the Edge, I would try to barter mainly for offshoots and seeds. Unless I held off coming here until it was almost too late, we should be able to survive on what meager rations Helovia can offer until the plants are able to sustain us. If they would not survive in the Edge, the only reasonable solution would be to temporarily relocate my herd, either into the Throat itself, or to the shore opposite of it—to share resources with Gaucho's herd. Agreeing to such a thing would be an incredible kindness and honor." That he said with his pale eyes fixed on Gaucho. And then.. he wasn't sure what else he could say.

"Though, really, I'd prefer to just get a rain dancer. So maybe that's why I'm here—looking for someone who can make rain." Slowly, he shook his head. That wasn't the task. He was derailing. He wouldn't even have been here in the first place if Helovia came into a drought.. unless it was as Kahlua had stated, and no Gods, no magic.

"And, to be completely honest.. of course, I would have a small, stealthy strike team ready should negotiations fail. A night raid to attempt to take what we need to survive." He shrugged. "I could get even nastier, too, trying to catch something that is dear to Gaucho and hold hostage in exchange for what we'd need." He set his gaze on Gaucho again. "But I would come in peace, first. And that is truth."
lord, the demands you're making-
help the monster on two feet
walk him down the hall, repeat
and when he's strong enough to stand alone
you'll notice what big teeth . . .
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Maren the Crownless Posts: 264
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.0 :: 6 HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Mr. Teatime :: Siberian Tiger :: Sing Yewrezz
(Bringing Verlaine ashore/observing)

"Go ahead", she nodded to the mare who had been called Verlaine. Maren's silent eyes had already observed enough to know that the frail body of the girl would easily fit next to hers in the wooden vessel. The vessel, which was still waiting on a name itself. The thing had been silently waiting for her return in the dry sands of the beach, but after the tigermare had pushed the boat back into the water, the thing began to sing. With its squeaking symphony encouraging her, she waded through the water and hold the boat still, waited until the (perhaps) soon to be queen had taken her seat (not yet throne). Maren waited for a moment, gazing in thought at the ambitious girl as she felt the water pressing against her legs. Why do you want this? Then the priestess too, jumped into the boat. At the same time pushing it out of the sand's grip. "I'll guide you into my home, but from there on you will have to take over the reins again yourself." As they slowly slid through the water, the striped-mare's gracefully rowing and keeping all steady, the others leaped through the air beside them, wings of fire blazing along their sides. Maren's burgundy shaded eyes moved back to Verlaine. The girl... What did she search for in this quest? "You may want to be Queen, but a queen speaking so fondly of war..." A burning tongue has always been my curse.But then she hesitated, a slight frown hooding her eyes as her movements to keep the boat moving forward felt the hesitation. "Frightens me." In the desolation of the waters she had spoken her mind, once again. She resumed her strong peddling, remembering that a boat ride took longer than a quick flight. Still, she sunk back in her troubled thoughts.

Do you want to be frightening - Is that your wish? Is that what you seek for in power and is that why you want the Goddess of the Moon by your side? The thoughts made sense, felt true. But she simply didn't know - wasn't suppose to know this mare's holy purpose. And whatever the hands of faith would crown her with, it would be neither wrong or right.

Arriving at the Throat's desert island later than the rest of the group, the boat sledged ashore. The sounds it made making it obvious it longed to be sailed along the smooth silky seas, rather than desert sands. One last time the tigermare looked up at Verlaine. "Good luck", she said with a smile all the same. For the path of this land's future would be decided in the coming days, and it would not be any less interesting if that path was one paved in shadows.

"Talking."

[Item: Boat | Design of a wooden Norwegian rowboat with metal framework. Fits two horses and has linked paddles that are to be pushed traditionally to get the boat moving forward.]
Maren
THE INTERIM OF LIFE HAS GOT YOU TIPTOED AND PINNING ALL YOUR HOPES
ON THE TOP DOG OF DREAMS

yewrezz | x x | larfsalot
on deviantart
Please tag me 

Amaris Posts: 299
World's Edge Philosopher atk: 5.5 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16h :: 4 years HP: 70 | Buff: NOVICE
Dramyrth :: Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath & Frost Breath Whit
Cathun came. Of course he came. He seemed to be there with her always - and she did not resent it for a second. She was learning more about him at every interaction, but he was consistent in the faces he showed. Sometimes insecure, most of the time he posed a proud front and other times he stared off into another world, a world where she suspected, he ruled all, and all worked the way he wanted it to.. A world she sadly had to wonder whether she fit in at all, and if she did, in what capacity?

The quiet arrival of her mother's dragon was a comfort to her heart. At Akaith's murmured greeting to her own spiritual guide, Amaris knew the shadowed mistress was not far away, and with amusement lightening her heart for a single beat, she watched as the stars above them fought against the morning light and shone over the Moon's lands.

The feelings of comfort did not last long. Cathun spoke his part, and another, and then..

Then, he came and Amaris felt herself go stiff. Was it fright that seized her, or a wariness that froze her? Was it Mauja's own magic, magic she wasn't even aware of, freezing her blood, her heart, her organs, from the inside out, rooting her to the spot -
- like it had rooted Torasin's body to the floor of the Deep Forest.

She shivered then, feeling the harsh hatred of his words like bullets of hail raining down upon her. Somehow, even the insults he directed at others (her mother, her brother/friend, the Qian and its ideals), she took upon herself. And the worst part was - she believed him.

Somehow, what he had said had got inside of her, and nourished the small seed of doubt that naturally plagued her, as it plagued every living being. But this seed grew with the dark words he bespoke, until it germinated, spread it roots and found other doubts to feed on, before blossoming into a dark cloud of fear and insecurity.

Everything she had said, everything she had believed not minutes before, seemed entirely inconsequential now. The idea of her ever being a queen - it was no idea she held anymore.

Numbly, she was aware of her mother's words and others speaking. Blankly, she followed Kahlua's lead, pausing on her departure only to touch Cathun and her mother silently in farewell with the softness of her muzzle. With a quiet surprise she accepted the company of Akaith on her journey - her mother would surely want to know the outcome… But surely they would see the vacant stare; they would know, surely, the unworthiness that lived inside of her, the sheer impossibility that was her ever gaining a crown in any walk of her life, now or in the future. She was unworthy, and nothing would change that. Not now, not ever.

She met the sands and the Sun again with guilt and remorse darkening her heart and her features. Gaucho would know of her desertion, she hadn't had time to speak to him of her decision - how would it look?

Bad.

The dragonmare met his hard stare with a sorry cast to her own crown, a pleading behind her golden eyes that begged him to understand, to forgive.

I am a fool, a rotten and unworthy fool, her own dark mantra sung on repeat, an endless cycle that gripped her and pulled her down into depths she couldn't possibly bear and still be standing. And yet, there she was, standing before the Sultan, her Khal, bowing her tiara to a level she hoped portrayed the terrible burden of rash decisions and foolish, youthful thinkings.

She heard Kahlua's instructions and accepted them with a nod, awaiting her turn to speak, before…

"Gaucho," she began, her voice cracking over the word, tripping across the two syllables like a babe learning sounds for the first time. With a light cough, she began again. "I am a fool and I am sorry. When I heard of what happened at the Edge.. I could not sit idle, I had do something - but I.." she paused, looking to the crowd, looking at the frozen, glacial eyes of Mauja and feeling the sharpness of his words strike somewhere deep and sore within her. "I was wrong," she said at last, quietly, turning her gaze back to her Sultan.

"I made a terrible, rash and foolish decision." Amazing just how many synonyms there are to describe the awful cretin that I have become, she thought sourly, though the dragons that accompanied her were both blocked from being able to reply - Akaith by the fact that her bond stretched only to Mirage, and the spirit dragon by the bounds of Amaris' own magic. She wanted not to hear their thoughts, she feared she couldn't bear it, and so she shut them out, stubbornly.

"I had hoped to rise as the Edge's new queen and use my love for Dragon's Throat to foster an alliance, a friendship where both parties mutually gained, like in the times of the Qian and the Tuuli. Given Kahlua's scenario, I would then come here in a time of need and hope that a simple request of aid would fulfil the needs of my herd."

She stopped again, shaking her tiara before continuing on.

"But I was wrong. I am no queen, and I am unworthy of your re-acceptance into the Throat, though I ask it of you now."

Tagging [Cathun] because he was mentioned, obv no need to reply xD
bg - table
No need to mirror my post length - I have a horrible case of the rambly writer syndrome!
I like being tagged!
You are always welcome to 'try' and use force/magic on Amaris, but similar to spar posts, leave it to me to decide how the damage is taken please~

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
Thor && Evangeline
I’d seen so very much in my lifetime. I had survived two wars, suffered through the effects of dark magic, encountered death and love and recovery, nurtured my only child to the best of my ability, and attempted to fight for those who could not defend themselves… I was perfect by no means and even more ashamed by the actions of my youth, but still willing to fight for the World’s Edge. My story was only that, a story crafted by the things I’d experienced. However, this opportunity was not part of my story, because it was part of theirs. As Kahlua guided us toward the Throat, I took a moment to look at each individual in attendance. If I again rose to claim the throne, my life would no longer be solely mine and that was something I was willing to sacrifice. It was something I was now ready for…

The dying light of Orangemoon settled in from the west as we approached the island that was the Dragon’s Throat. In truth, I couldn’t recall a time I had ever seen it so changed… After all, it had cycled through many reigns since Kri’s departure. I was quite impressed by the drastic alterations that they had managed to achieve since my last visit; it was certainly a grand kingdom, just as majestic and warm as I’d remembered. However, I feared how one of my size would be capable of crossing the great river… In fact, I wasn’t sure how those without wings were even allowed entry. I had trailed Kahlua and her stippled friend, but I was hesitant to question her or interrupt because she appeared to be quite engaged in quiet discussion.

I did wonder what she thought of leading a great group of creatures, now vying for her rule, into a situation that would ultimately replace her… Was she just as unsettled about moving to the Falls as I? Or would she be comfortable there with Kaj and Archibald by her side? It was true that our reunion had been anything but peaceful, but I had grown quite fond of the Queen and her peaceful demeanor… Yet, she appeared troubled now, and despite any bad blood that once simmered between us, I could not help but to feel ashamed… I had chosen to return to the Edge and I had chosen to submit to her leadership, but I couldn’t leave the great land of my upbringing without attempting to settle her once more. I owed it to my past, and to myself, to remember all that I’d once believed in.

But, more than anything, I wanted to raise the World’s Edge from the ashes in which she’d burned beneath the Goddess of the Moon. She would not be a land left to her own devices for long… and I would not see her fall prey to the greed of vagabonds and mercenary groups. I would make sure that, should I be denied this greatness, that her next Kings and Queens would find a way to fulfill her wishes. I would not give up on the place I called home… no matter my personal preferences. That was not who I was… I did not want to be the man forced from my position because of my poor attitude.

I would gladly support whomever… though I wanted this more than anyone.

When my thoughts had lingered a moment to long, I was floored when I felt the ground fall away from beneath me! Sabine, though once nestled into the thickness of my unruly mane, squawked stridently. I rumbled softly to calm her, but the Zephyr only continued her endless screeching. I looked down toward the water passing just below before glancing back up again, only to find that Kahlua had donned a pair of fiery wings that I could only assume I now bore too. However, despite Sabine and her relentless crying, I was too fixated on the feeling of the wind against my face and the feeling of… freedom to notice the distance between me and the sands beyond. It had been such an amazing thing to witness; that after all those years burdened by wings too small to lift me, I could now imagine what it was like to fly.

Yet, it left an empty feeling in my chest… because now I would forever miss it. I would remember it always.

When I had finally recovered from my momentary lapse of concentration, born from a longing that had always been inherent of my species, I was slow to address Kahlua’s task. My companion had finally grown quiet once more and I attempted to send her soothing vibes in order to keep her pliant and secure. I didn’t want her disruptive behavior to draw any more attention than warranted… However, she appeared to be more interested in the gathering of creatures upon landing. Fickle bird…

Everyone appeared to have so many ideas and so many great notions, that they voiced in an array of different tongues, that I feared my own would pale in comparison. Yet, I knew that I had to be stronger than that. I had to believe that this was where I belonged. I had to believe that this was where I would find ultimate happiness once more…

I wanted to serve the Edge.

I did wait patiently for the Appaloosa stallion to groom the great Wildfire with his knowledge and again when Amaris, the dragon-child, stepped up to honor her mother’s powerful reign. To me, both appeared such natural candidates, so inspiring in their own right. Yet, each of us was different, each of coming from different walks of life that nurtured qualities any herd would find endearing. I could serve either of them should the need arise… though I hoped it didn’t.

When my time had finally come, I stepped forth, a powerful entity of strength and courage. I had never stood before such a magnificent animal cloaked in flame and primal beauty… Would I ever possess his strength, his obvious vigor? “Brother, I am Thor the Gentle Heart of the World’s Edge. I come seeking your help and your friendship, because my people are suffering without food enough to sustain them,” I began softly. I had no intention of mimicking the Sultan, despite my admiration for the man, because I was different… I was Thor.

“Of course I will understand should you have any reservations, but I thought it would be a good idea to help one another out in this grueling heat. I want to offer you and yours safe haven in the Edge, to escape the heat… The ocean breeze is still comforting despite the lack of rain. I don’t ask for a trade, but more so a treaty in which I could send Healers to help nurture your gardens so that we might all be able to enjoy the spoils. I come a humble friend and the offer for refuge in the Edge still stands no matter your decision,” I finished strongly. This could potentially be the first remnants of lasting ties between us… test or not.
image credits

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Verlaine Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

et la vie amait la mort

Whatever feelings she might of held earlier, they faded into slow oblivion, falling into pace with the rest of the group. A typically social animal, the conversations that occasionally fluttered about the group suited her. She'd given in to Narcisse, allowing the kit to sleep quietly atop the ridge of her back, finding a comfortable place to rest on her hindquarters.
In order to confine to the feelings of the group, she kept herself natural, letting the low amounts of heat given by the early Orangemoon sun warm her pale coat.
Problems had been scarce. If they existed, then she hadn't paid much attention to them, caught up purely in the romancing of calm socialization, a break from the verbal warfare they made against one another, fighting with swords made of words and personal greed. Yes, she had gone to the level that they all rested at, but what was the price of wanting to be something great? To have a name for one's self?
Kings and Queens, Emperors, Dictators, Warlords, all of them alike, had done something dirty and low to gain their thrones and keep it. Every social class had to bring themselves down to the lowest levels of the peasantry at some point in order to become great.
When it did finally arise, the issue, it came in a way that sent chills down her spine. Verlaine wasn't made for the sea. The idea of crossing the water made her uncomfortable, skin erupting in goosebumps.
Now reduced to pawing the sand, she watches in some sort of horror as the painted mare flies across the waters, carried away by flames risen from the depths of hell.
Was she taking the throne from some sort of demon?
As luck would have it, a boat fell into her favour, watching a tiger-like mare head towards it. While the notion might be a rude thing to do, what were her other objects? Flying with the Devil's powers when you weren't meant to, weren't born to.... It was all too unnatural and she preferred the idea of something more...
Normal.
"Excuse me?" Her faint words whisper across the still, quiet air, watching as the others pass over the waters with the fire. A few yards keep the distance between her and the other mare apart. "Would it be too much to ask if I could ride across with you in your boat? I'm not much for the flying." A cringe sweeps over her frail, feminine features at the idea of flying. Would the flames inflict burns? Would she be scarred by taking a chance and trusting something that was never meant to be trusted?
Fire was uncontrollable, forever wild and free, a raging beast that struck out and left hateful marks on anything that attempted to make a try at controlling it. Fire didn't want to be controlled.
So why put faith into the flames that could turn and kill in a split second, only to return to a peaceful, serene and majestic appearance shortly after?
An embarrassed, thankful smile crosses her lips at the acceptance of her needs. "Merci. You're awfully kind." The small muzzle turns and pushes into Narcisse's small form, pressing into his body to wake the child. "Réveiller, mon cherie." A yawn escapes the boy, stretching short, white legs across the mare's rump.
She checks with her ship mate, slowly wading out in the water. The cool feeling strikes a shiver across her skin as Narcisse whines, unwilling and fearful of the idea of becoming soaked. Unsteadily, a thin leg is laid into the boat, climbing in with a noise of fear and surprise escaping her only once. Her body pushed itself into the bottom, saving room for her companion.
Violet eyes watch with curiosity as the other femme climbs in and pushes them out, gasping into surprise before a light chuckle passes her lips. A nod graces the trio as she's given directions.
The silence is unsettling, staring upwards at the other flying beings and questioning their trust and courage. Words strike and shatter the still, and she almost thanks Maren for it.
It wasn't exactly something that she had expected, what came out of the Diviner's mouth.
Verlaine found herself caught off-guard. The others seemed so heart set on the idea of enternal peace, of avoiding blood shed at all costs. The whole idea seemed cowardly, but then again, she'd come from a very different place compared to them.
"I apologize. I never intended to strike fear; it happens to be the last of my wants on my list." Guilt hits her in a rough fashion, Narcisse lifting a tired head towards his sister in confusion. His bonded's feelings were too foreign, too aged for him to understand yet.
"I don't want to go to war, but war, how can you avoid it? It's always going to be there. We'll always disagree with one another over something foolish, and when the frustration and annoyance builds up, we'll want war. We'll want vengenance for crimes done to our families and people so that we don't seem weak and cowards. Everyone wants to be strong, but to avoid war, we need to appear strong." Brief eye contact is made, hoping that her words make some sort of sense in the language she was still rather unsure of. "I want to be ready for it, because some day it'll happen. I want to triumph, to put pride in the hearts of those below me. Do you understand what I'm saying?"
The boat bumps into the orange sands, the red and white mare looking out at the beach. Narcisse begs to touch the sands, reminded of what it was like to frolic in the paler sands to the North.
Slowly, Victomesse and boy step out, shaking on weak legs once they came in contact with the harder earth.
When she checks back with Maren, a feeling of warmth gives the urge of confidence that she desperately needed. "Again, merci. You're much too kind. If we meet again, you're free to call me Vera." Returning the smile, she collects her canter and propels herself up the slope towards the others, entering their gathering and stepping into place.

The quest is simple.
Save your herd from stravation from the aid of your ally(?) to the South, convincing them to part with something to free the pair.
Verlaine's eyes study Gaucho's appearance, brows drawing together in a tight, tense knot as she 'admires' his rather odd looks. In the process, the idea tumbles over in her head like a stone, trying every new side and looking for new spaces that might be to her aid.
In the end, she went with the basics.
"As we are all aware of the drought, there is a shortage of food. Water is low. Friends, family members, lovers, children, my people and family, they're all affected. Rumour has told me that there is food that could aid my people. I come to you to ask for aid. In return, in the time of great wealth, I will be sure to aid your family with a great deal of herbs, military might in a time of need, and immediate return of aid may the dark chances be that your family is plagued by some unfortunate issue such as the one mine is currently facing.
"I would do the same for your family and any other family in the land, regardless of alliances and hatred that might be set down. A dying people in one place is just as depressing and unsettling as the dying being those within your home."

[Maren]

Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd
With fire to keep us warm, and tools we made from rocks and bones

First there was Mauja ...

Gaucho was not surprised the spotted ice king was the first to speak. Out of those assembled, the former King was the only one who immediately seemed fitting of the position in the offering. Still, the responses of the others might elevate them above the mammoth stallion, but Gaucho had his doubts. The Wildfire's steely gaze only briefly roamed over Mauja's physique before meeting his chilling gaze. Perhaps it was good fortune for the Frostheart that their meeting in the caves had been ... anticlimactic. Boring even. Had less time passed, surely they would both be standing on these sands recovering from injuries that they would have dealt each other. And now? Now they were clearly so well acquianted that Mauja skipped with the formalities all together, save for a nod, which Gaucho returned.

The Wildfire's ears dipped and roamed with Mauja's words. In his antlers, Mara aided in keeping track of what was mere rhetoric and what was an actual answer. Gaucho fought not to smirk as Mauja considered the cost to the Throat, should they aid in the Edge in this hypothetical situation. He very much doubted the Frost King's mind was truly concerned for whether the Throat could survive a splitting of resources. Never the less, if diplomacy was the aim of the game, such ... facades were sure to be expected. As he mentioned his heart, Gaucho did snort, his gaze hard and annoyed. The glance towards Kahlua suggested that perhaps whatever imagery that sentence was meant to convey, was not for him. Even so, such flowery language not only went over the dun's head the majority of the time, but he found it bothersome.

Incredible kindness and honor.

Gaucho's dark gaze met Mauja's paler one. And what do you know about honour?

However his expression changed entirely - and surprisingly for the better - with Mauja's conclusion. That he had a backup plan - namely one that involved force - was precisely the sort of thing Gaucho would do in a similar situation. Other than the flowery language, the hint towards begging for help, and all of the excess verbiage, Mauja's answer was fairly similar to that which Gaucho would have given, if they were in similar situations.

"A good answer." Gaucho said after a time. It seemed the only thing appropriate to say, considering the cirumstances...

Next was his own ... Amaris ...

As her voice cracked, Gaucho's hardened gaze grew even harder. He knew that Amaris was a child of the Edge. Even though he found her actions duplicitous, he at least understood her motives. That she would cave now, shake and tremble before him, just seemed pathetic. She was stronger than this, and if her resolve could waiver so quickly - from Throat to Edge and then back again - did she really belong in either herd? What was it she actually wanted? The life of a Queen was certainly not an easy one, and it was never one that was free of tough decisions. Amaris had shown she was capable of leading neither.

"Gaucho know you from Edge. It not surprising that you want to be queen there. But you go disappear and go behind Gaucho's back, and then break immediately. Maybe Amaris would be good queen - but queens are strong. Queens stand behind their choices and are not afraid to do what is best for herd. You say you are not a queen ..." His deep voice trailed off as his blue-striped shoulders shrugged. The dragon child had talked her way out of her candidacy.

Next came a stallion taller than both himself and Mauja. On the ground by his hooves, Vorsa hooted a hello to Sabine, happy to see one of her kin here. Listening to his words, Gaucho's gaze narrowed as a skeptical look graced his primitive features. "Gaucho not want your friendship, Thor. " He began, once the Gentle Heart had given his answer. "Alliances and aid not about friendship. Gaucho can offer aid to those he not friends with, and can refuse it to those he is." Flicking his tail, he shifted his burning wings at his sides before continuing. "Dragon's Throat not need escape from heat. We surrounded by ocean - can cool off at any time. Have oasis. Most of us have wings, can go anywhere to cool off - we not need haven in Edge for that. Besides - you say you give us refuge even if Gaucho say no ... so Gaucho not have any reason to say yes."

For a moment, Gaucho's gaze fell to Kahlua. Thor's answer seemed like something the Sunshower might say. All kisses and rainbows in a world of death and murder.

The last to speak was one that Maren had brought over on the boat. He listened to her words - to the odd accent in her voice, but was unmoved. "You come to Gaucho once herd is starving. You let all your friends, family, children, lovers down, because you not notice that you have a drought until too late. It is poor leadership to only have one source of food. So why should Gaucho believe that you will even have military or aid later? You fail to provide basic needs for herd, and Gaucho is supposed to believe that you will make better decisions later?" He shook his antlered skull. It was amazing how none of them seemed to take responsibility in this little scenerio. They all offered things that none of them had - they made them up out of thin air. No one explained how it was they would have a military, healers to aid with plants, or glaziers to create. As far as Gaucho knew, the Edge was currently empty. Just like the promises they were all making.

"Asking for aid is not about friendship-" He began in summary, his hardened gaze falling specifically upon Thor, and then Amaris. Their reliance upon his emotions was misguided, especially if they were to be lead. "Gaucho not care. You come to me as leaders, and address a leader. Personal feelings not matter. Alliances are about give and take, not braiding manes and walks in the sunset." His voice was borderline sarcastic - a trait he had picked up from some of the new members of his herd. Sarcasm was rare for Gaucho. "Your family going to die without Gaucho's help. Where is your urgency? You come to Gaucho with nothing more than words? You say you going to give metals and herbs? Show up with them. You say you going to give military strength? You not going to have military if they all die from starvation. "

Flicking his tail, the Sultan regarded the four who stood before him.

"All answers have problem ... but only one had a back up plan. Only one thought about what to do if Gaucho say no." Looking to Mauja, the dun nodded. Whatever differences and hatred lingered from Gaucho remained in the past. He had had the chance to take revenge upon Mauja in the caves, and he had not. His anger and regret slipped silently into some shadow to die quietly and without a fight. Regardless, Mauja's answer had been the most thorough, and was the one that seemed the most realistic. Gaucho's gaze fell to Kahlua, before nodding his antlered crown, his decision clear.

"If one of you going to be new Edge King or Queen ... Gaucho think it better to have alliances in place before you need help." For a moment he was struck by his own words, as his gaze once again found its way to Mauja. If he was to be the new King of the Edge ... would the two form an alliance? The thought seemed so absurd given their history, and yet here they were, upon Gaucho's sands. The group was even going to stay the night before they departed in the morning, and while of course Gaucho's warriors would be patrolling, there was a time that Gaucho would have never even entertained the idea of having the spotted stallion anywhere near his borders, much less allowed so far inside.

How times change.

Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.