the Rift

[OPEN] Wonderwall
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

GAUCHO
I'd bring you further roses but it does you no good.

[Throat patrol with @[Ranjiri] and @[Astrasza] ! ]

The dun left early that morning. Ranjiri had her son to attend to, and Astra...well. He actually had spoken with the yearling that much. Likely the two would come together, but later. Perhaps once the sun had risen. Gaucho however did not sleep much - not after his mind had been so brutally invaded by the Moon Goddess. He didn't know when or how it had happened, but the idea of closing his eyes and falling into a trance where he was no longer aware of his surroundings seemed poorly advised. Still, the warrior did not require much sleep as it was.

On burning wings of black the Wildfire glided. Dawn sparkled all around him, painting the world in bloody hues of red and violet. At his side Vorsa, the small phoenix chick glided. Her body was a deep red, which exploded into flames every few minutes. Slowly she was starting to understand her ability although she still couldn't control it. Her flames did not burn Gaucho but they certainly burned Mara. The trio had learned that early on when the two companions tried to share his antlers.

Gliding towards the rocky precipice, Gaucho landed. His full attention was given to the Sun God's shrine. Using his wings he billowed the air to cast away any dust that had settled on the disturbed rocks. Gaucho had come here often to pray to the God, but now that his place in the deity's mind had been solidified, the Wildfire felt more secure about praying wherever he was. If the Sun God was always with him coming to a specific location to reaffirm his fealty seemed .. misplaced? Still, if he was here he would certainly take advantage of the situation.

Closing his stormy gaze the dun murmured a few words of appreciation, devotion, and respect. His black lips moved as the thoughts and words were formed in his mind.

Image Credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Ranjiri the GoldenShade Posts: 372
World's Edge Mare atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
Mara :: Common Rougarou :: Shadow ali
Ranjiri</style>
in this world full of people there's one killing me
and if we only die once i wanna die with you
</style>

Ryuu was tucked away safely in the Throat and I was on my way to the Veins to meet with Gaucho and whoever else it was that would be patrolling. After hearing that I was going to be with Gaucho I didn't exactly pay attention to who else would be there. Its definitely safe to say that I was not looking forward to being face to face with Gaucho. It was even safer to say that I had been avoiding him for quite some time. I did wonder who set the patrol groups and if Gaucho had purposely asked for me or if it was just some fluke that would force me to face him.

Gaucho was already at the veins when I arrived, which wasn't surprising. He always seemed to be everywhere at once, working, fighting, patrolling, making little gauchos. I began my decent, wings flaring outward to slow myself so my landing would not be jarring. My cloven hooves touched the ground near the Earth God's shrine and I folded my wings against my sides and I stood in silence. I had dearly hoped that the other girl would be here so I would not have to spend any time alone with Gaucho, but another twist of fate had us at the shrines together. I looked at Gaucho then my gaze drifted to the Moon Goddess' shrine before finally falling to my hooves.

I would give anything to have a patrol anywhere else with anyone else. I wasn't ready to face him yet.

"Hello." I finally murmured, my eyes still on my hooves. "Who else is coming?"

"."

Image Credits

aud pixel!
Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO

Some things took longer than others to work out. For instance, it wasn't until precisely this moment - this one currently drifting past - that Gaucho realized the impact of his actions. He had thought that the only apology that he owed to the world was to the Earth God. He hadn't even though of the mother of the earthen child who was murdered, even though she was there. She was there. Looking back into the fog of his clouded thoughts everything seemed so clear, so unmistakably and obvious. How could he have missed it? How could he have been so selfish, especially when he had faulted Midas for precisely the same crime?

Ophelia had stood next to her sister. Her sister, the dark one with the blood pierced horn. It was Ktulu's son who died, not only the Earth's, and yet Gaucho only thought of the Constrictor as being the voice of reason - the one who had tried to talk Archibald down from demanding his blood.

Her son had been murdered, and her voice had still been reasonable. In his gut the knife that Midas' silence had pushed into him twisted tightly. Her son. Her real son, not just an adopted god-child, and she still managed to move her lips.

Looking at Ranjiri now the resemblance was completely obvious. Ranjiri's brother had been murdered on the Island.

And it had been Gaucho's body who had done the murdering.

"Jiji-" His normally solid and warm voice cracked, fizzling with emotion and sounding weaker somehow. His flaming wings spread gently from his sides, as if offering some sort of apology that had come far too late.

It was far too late.

"Gaucho ... Gaucho not know. Not ...realize-" Why was he bothering? There was nothing he could do now. Nothing he could say that would make up for it.

His blue eyes were large and apologetic, filled with concern and regret. It was true that whatever guilt he had felt had diminished slightly, especially after the Sun God had named him his champion. He wasn't in control, and the dun now firmly believed that actions out of ones control were committed blamelessly. However that did not justify his lack of concern and sympathy towards those his actions had wounded.

"Sorry."

His antlered skull dropped as well as a sigh fell from his lips.

"Astrasza." He answered softly after a minute. "She patrol too."

Image Credits

Ranjiri</style>
</style>

Momma was far from a philosopher but she always told me that life wasn't meant to be easy. If it was easy we wouldn't be living, we would be existing. I didn't want to simply exist, I wanted to live. It would be easy for me to hate Gaucho and the Moon Goddess. I think hatred comes naturally when someone takes someone precious to you away. I also think that its the hard decisions like forgiveness that make life worth living. As unprepared as I was to face him I knew that I had to. I couldn't run away and put myself before the herd, it too much of a selfish move. I knew that Hototo would want me to make the difficult decision to forgive and go in living than hold onto anger and hatred and let it consume me until I had nothing left to live for. Until I only existed.

"Jiji-"

I had never heard Gaucho's voice sound anything other than strong, confident, and gruff, but when he said my name I had a sense that he felt hopeless. I wondered if he was wondering if he could ever make anything right after being used to take so many lives. I wondered how many blamed him, how much he blamed himself. Did he hate himself? Did he wish for his own death? I didn't want to put myself in his position, but I tried to and my heart ached for him as much as it ached for the loss of my brother.

I looked up when he spoke again and I sighed softly. "Even if you realized you couldn't have stopped it." Harsh, perhaps, but it was the truth. What power did any of us have when a god took it upon herself to infect us and use us to wreak havoc? "But... It was like him... to do that. He valued everyone else above himself." I blinked as my vision blurred and I looked up toward the sky. I wondered what it was like to be so unselfish, so unconcerned with your own well-being. I knew that I would give anything to protect Ryuu, but I loved him. I didn't think that I could willingly throw myself into harms way for a stranger.

"Sorry."

My eyes returned to Gaucho once more and I had never seen him look so defeated. He had always been a pillar of strength and now he was cracked, nearly broken, and I wanted to fix him. "I..." A lump formed in my throat and I swallowed. "I... forgive you."I murmured. I began to move toward Gaucho and I attempted to slip beneath his neck and as I did so I reached up to rest my chin near the base of his neck. I hoped that he would welcome a hug because he looked like he needed one as much as I did.

"."

@[Gaucho]

Image Credits

aud pixel!
Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO

Gaucho wanted to deny her assertion. To forcibly shake the weight of her words off of him. If he had known he could have done something. He would have. Gaucho had only been weak during the very beginning stages of his life, when his bones were still supple and growing. As soon as he reached an age where trauma from a fight wouldn't post such a high risk of permanent damage, he had started. Fighting that is. His skills and desire to protect and defend stemmed from his need to prove himself the victor - everywhere and always. That wasn't to say Gaucho got into meaningless fights or became a tyrant, however. Still, the thought that he was helpless in this situation remained a hard pill to swallow. It might have admonished his guilt, but it still weighed heavily upon his heart and mind.

Gaucho had never been helpless. But Jiji had just pointed out that he had been, and was still capable of being. Not only had he not been able to fight the Goddess, he hadn't even known. Somehow that felt worse. His body might be a fortress, but his mind certainly was not.

Her description of Hototo snapped Gaucho back to the present, and he solemnly nodded. The Wildfire knew what it was to place everyone else before your own needs. He knew the burden that it was, but also the joy it could bring. Wherever Hototo had gone (perhaps the children of Gods held a special place in the afterlife), he hoped the boy-god found peace.

Jiji's forgiveness felt ... different somehow. Gaucho had not wanted the forgiveness of those around him on the Island - like Archibald. It didn't seem to matter to him, for he owed them nothing. As jiji and many others pointed out, it was out of his control. However as the words slipped bulkily from her lips, Gaucho felt relieved. What she said mattered to him.

Because she mattered to him.

As she moved towards him his flaming wings instantly stretched from his flanks to pull her closer. Darkened feathers seemed to extend, wrapping around her, as he welcomed her embrace. He felt himself exhale into her, as his bone pierced-nose dipped down to press against her soft sable skin.

He had done irreplaceable damage to her family, and yet she had forgiven him. Gaucho had always known the girl was strong, but he had never really known how deep her well of strength truly was. Only know was he beginning to have some understanding.

"Thank you." He rumbled against her, most of his voice projecting directly into her, muffling his words.

What else was there to say?

Image Credits

Ranjiri</style>
</style>

I remember the first time I saw Gaucho. He had a way about him that could strike fear into anyone. The way he moved and the way he spoke were very obvious signs that he was trained to fight because he had moved with purpose. Even as a yearling I could see and understand and I suppose a part of me had feared him because of this, but the man standing there before me wasn't the same man from then. All of the strength he had projected then was still there, but it was okay. I didn't think any less of him because he weakness. If anything it made him more relatable because of my own weaknesses.

Anyway, for lack of a better term, I had always considered Gaucho a man's man, someone that didn't need any sort of affection or even forgiveness. So I was glad that he welcomed my hug, accepted my forgiveness, and didn't push me away like a very small part of he suspected he might. His wings closed around me and even though I knew in the back of my mind that it had been his body that had done all of the murdering, I still felt safe and protected.

"Thank you."

Did he really need to thank me for forgiving him? I wondered about it as I moved my head to rest my cheek against his neck. "Its okay." I whispered as tears quickly gathered in my eyes then began their trail down my face that, eventually, ended on Gaucho's neck. It was a mixture of relief and sadness that had me crying because it felt good to forgive but at the same time it was making it more concrete that my brother was gone and wasn't coming back. But maybe forgiving could help close the wounds that had been open and festering since Hototo's death. And maybe my forgiveness would help Gaucho begin to heal as well.

"."

@[Gaucho]

Image Credits

aud pixel!
Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO

Gaucho could feel the warm stain of her tears as they melded into his dark coat. Bitterly he clenched his teeth together and his thoughts drifted to Ampere. He had saved the life of the phoenix who played on the ground, and she had hated him for it. She had clawed and bit at his body and his heart for his mistaken actions. She had left him over it. Then there was Ranjiri, hardly more than a child (at least in his eyes, for he would always remember her as the clumsy but bold filly learning to fly in the Throat), who had her brother taken from her, murdered, yet who was able to forgive. If he believed that made Ranjiri strong, did that imply he thought of Ampere as weak? The idea made him snort slightly, further confusing his thoughts of the blue.

But whatever his thoughts of Ampere, he was solid in his judgement of the black and gold. She was strong, even as her tears clung to his coat.

Pulling away, Gaucho regarded the hybrid for a moment, his dark gaze soft and caring. "We start patrol-" He began, looking inwards to the less-traveled part of the veins. "Jiji tell Gaucho about brother as we go?" He knew very little about the Earthsinger. Merely that he was related to Ophelia through her sister, Jiji's mother. Other than that ... there was nothing to know. The child had been ... what? Raised by Midas? With a flare of resentment that Midas probably didn't deserve, Gaucho wondered if the paint had ever cared for the boy, or if it had merely been an attempt to win the praise of the Earth God? Ahhh, but that wasn't fair. Gaucho's affections for Israfel had been for precisely the same reasons.

Regardless, he would be interested to know more about Jiji's brother. Perhaps speaking of him would help her to heal. Gently he searched for her gaze, trying to determine if his question had perhaps been misplaced or insensitive. He was quite awful at determining things such as this.

Image Credits

Ranjiri</style>
</style>

I remained still as Gaucho pulled away and looked at me and for a moment I wondered what he thought about my crying. "I'm sorry." I murmured as I lowered my head to wipe my eyes against my foreleg. It helped for only a few seconds but when Gaucho requested that I tell him about Hototo as we patrolled I could feel the tears stinging my eyes again. I nodded wordlessly and turned in the direction that he had looked. The path wasn't travelled much, but I had walked down it before when I had patrolled with Rhoa. I blinked and stepped forward because thinking about that patrol was more painful than it should have been because it was the last time that I'd seen my brother alive and heard his voice.

I didn't really know where to begin with talking about Hototo because he had left when I was so young and I went so long without seeing him. Despite that I loved him as deeply and as fiercely as I did Cera. "I don't really remember a lot about Hototo because he left when I was still really young." I explained as we walked. "It was.... back when it was dark all the time and the sun wouldn't rise. He said he had a duty because of being the Earth God's son. I don't think Momma wanted him to go, but she didn't stop him." I remembered trying to stop him from going and I remembered him promising me that he would still come to see me. It was a promise that he didn't keep. "What I do remember was that he was compassionate and he loved life but he was scared of girls that weren't me or Momma or Aunt Ophelia or Roskuld." The tears that had stung my eyes earlier began to roll down my cheeks as I spoke of my brother. Was it selfish of me to wish that Hototo wasn't as good as he was so that he would still be alive?

I sighed as we walked, thinking back over my childhood and the brief, scattered memories that I had of my brother and I realized that my memories of Cera were just as broken and scattered as were my memories of my father. "Dad ... Midas ..." I didn't really know how to address my father when I spoke to Gaucho. "I don't have any memories of all of us together. Its me and Momma and Toto, or me, Momma, and Dad." and even those memories of Momma and Daddy with me were few and far between. I would have given anything to have actual memories of our family, all of us, together but the time for that had come and passed and I was left with memories of a family that was falling apart as I grew up. It made me wonder how much of my childhood and Toto's truly mattered and that made my chest ache horribly.

"."

Image Credits

aud pixel!
Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO

Gaucho pretended not to see the tears as they formed and fell from Ranjiri's eyes. For the dun, the sort of emotions that brought moisture to his eyes were always intimate and personal. That the pain Jiji felt for the loss of her brother was that strong, was indeed a testament to his memory and the life that he had lived. But Gaucho would not call attention to her tears - those droplets were for her alone.

As she spoke of the wraith invasion, Gaucho tried to remember Hototo. He searched his memory for the EarthSinger - for the strong demi-colt - but found nothing. That was not so surprising, Gaucho had been leading the WAR effort against the creatures. Such a place was not one he would think to have found the Earth God's son, knowing the deity's propensity towards peace.

Gaucho chuckled as Jiji mentioned that Hototo was afraid of girls. It reminded him of Rhoa, and how awkward the boy had been around Spice when he had first brought her home. Perhaps it was a phase all males went through, although Gaucho couldn't remember having ever been in that position. Then again in his youthful days he had been training endlessly, not cavorting with females. Sighing as he walked, the Wildfire continued to listen.

As Jiji mentioned Midas, Gaucho couldn't decide if he was surprised or not. Midas had always pictured himself as such a family man and yet ... yet he had never really seen it for himself. He recalled the day he first met Jiji and Midas' hesitant questions about her flying lessons. It sounded more like an absent Father who was unaware of his daughter's capabilities, rather than a doting Dad. But even placing that aside, when had Gaucho ever seen Midas with his children? With Hototo, or Cera, or Ranjiri? And now Jiji's son? The few times that Midas had come to the Throat, he had never seen his children. He had asked about them once but ... snorting, the dun shook his head.

That wasn't enough.

"Gaucho not know your mother. Gaucho fight in Invasion with her ... and see her a few times, but not know her. She seems strong. Ranjiri like her. Midas ..." Gaucho meant to say he means well or he tries, but the words dried up on his tongue. Instead, he shrugged. He didn't need to lie to Jiji, fake words would not make her feel better.

Helplessly he looked to Ranjiri, uncertainty and disappointment in his eyes. Gaucho was glad that she had grown up to be so strong and capable, but she could just as easily have faltered without a father. Reaching out his nose, he gingerly touched her marked shoulder. He would never take the place of Midas in her - or any of the paint's children's lives - but he would always be there for them, should they need him.

Always.

Image Credits

Ranjiri</style>
</style>

I was quiet for a while, thinking back over my childhood in the Foothills. I had been happy, oblivious to the fact that my father was absent more often than present. I remembered being happy when I was able to see him and sad when he left and I realized that I shouldn't have had to feel that sadness so often. He should have been more of a constant presence in my life. Did I hate him for it? I didn't think so. I honestly don't think I could ever truly hate him. I was disapointed and the older I got the more disappointed I was that he was not there for me as often as he should have been. I learned to fly by myself. I'd only gotten one lesson from him and Gaucho had been present for it. I wondered if he still chuckled to himself over my botched landing. My mother, however distant she felt at times, was always there and always made me feel safe when she was nearby. I might not have gotten an 'I love you' from her as often as I wanted, but I'd come to learn that she expressed it with her actions rather than her words.

I sighed and looked at Gaucho when he spoke, listening to every word he spoke. "Invasion?" I asked curiously. "What invasion?" When I had been born Momma was already Chieftess of the Foothills with Auntie and, for whatever reason, it had never occurred to me that she might have had to fight for our home. I just knew it as our home. My eyes grew wide a moment later when Gaucho compared me to her. "What?" I was shocked. "No. I'm not. I'm not strong like Momma. I wish I was, but I'm not." I shook my head in denial and stared straight ahead, refusing to meet his gaze.

Gaucho stopped after saying my father's name and I found myself looking at him again, waiting for him to finish before realizing that he had nothing good to say. I sighed again, my eyes going to the path that stretched before us. "I know..." I whispered. I was thankful that I stared at the path because if I had seen the look in his eyes it probably would have brought me to tears again. He had my full attention again, though, when I felt his muzzle against my shoulder. I smiled weakly and reached my muzzle toward Gaucho. He might not have always known exactly what to say, but his actions spoke for him and the amount of care he held for me and the rest of his herd. We were a family and I was thankful to have him to look up to. "Thank you."

"."

Image Credits

aud pixel!
Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO

Gaucho was mildly surprised that Jiji didn't know of the Invasion. Then again it was before her time. Still, he would have thought that some amount of history would have permeated down to her. Had neither Midas nor Ktulu ever told their child of how her mother won the land that she grew up in? Such a thing was a feat to be proud of, not ignorant of.

"Long time ago, Hidden Falls was called the Foothills even before you lived there. Foothills ruled by fat cranky leader with a dragon. Maybe he was even part dragon too>" Gaucho didn't even really know if what he was saying was true, but it didn't matter. If Ranjiri hadn't been told the truth by her parents, then Gaucho's bedtime story version of the events would have to suffice. "Ktulu and Ophelia have a group called the Grey. Grey were warriors and spies and healers, but had to live in the woods. " Gaucho's mind flashed to Phaedra, Sohalia's friend - the sparkly one. Which was she? She seemed unsuited to be a warrior, healer, or spy. Oh well. "Soon, group get too big for woods, so Ktulu and Ophelia look at herds: Basin and the unicorns were strong, and Edge too. Throat and Midas might have taken them in ... but they want their own land, not to live in someone elses. So they come to Midas and Kri and ask for help. Say they want to take the Foothills from the fat and lazy members who lived there. Kri agree, and she send Gaucho and Midas and two others to help. We go at dawn, with sun at our backs. They have no defenses - no one to fight. Their leader let the herd get lazy and weak. Ktulu and Ophelia make Jackal the King of Thieves leave herd. They let everyone else stay if they want. Ktulu and Ophelia make new home for the Grey - make new home for you-" At this, a flaming wing jutted from his side to gently push against Jiji's shoulder jokingly. "- have place to grow up."

Snorting softly, Gaucho listened as Jiji denied that she was anything like her mother. Although he didn't know her well, Gaucho was still sure enough in this. Shrugging slightly, he nodded his antlered skull. "Ktulu not arrogant. Not full of herself like some are - that make her strong, because she knew her weaknesses. Jiji like that."

At her offering of gratitude, the dun said nothing but simply smiled. Ranjiri would never have to thank him for anything, nor would she ever have to feel bad for asking him for anything either. She was part of his family, and there was never anything that was too much that she could ever ask of him.

Image Credits

Ranjiri</style>
</style>

I had known about the Grey, I had grown up in the land that they had ruled and called home, but Momma had never told me that they'd lived in forest once, nor had she told me that they'd invaded the Foothills. "Oh..." Was all that I could think to say as Gaucho explained everything to me. I agreed with Gaucho that my dad would have taken Momma's group in, but obviously she didn't want that. I wondered why she wouldn't want to live in the Throat with daddy, but at the same time I wondered why he wouldn't come live with us in the Foothills.

A soft snort made my nostrils flutter, but I forced the thoughts about my parents aside and listened as Gaucho talked about the Foothills and their fat, lazy members. I have to admit that I felt a little bit bad when he said that the Foothills hadn't had any defenses, but I guess that went along with the 'lazy' part that Gaucho had mentioned earlier. I smiled as he nudged my shoulder with his wing, saying that Momma had provided me with a place to grow up. "I liked the Foothills." I admitted. "I loved running in the grass and playing with Bear. He always stayed and watched over me when Momma had to do her patrols." I missed those times. I missed being carefree and not wondering what tragedy was going to unfold next.

"Ktulu not arrogant. Not full of herself like some are - that make her strong, because she knew her weaknesses. Jiji like that."

I still disagreed with Gaucho, but everytime I disagreed he would only rephrase and tell me I was strong again. I wished that I could see in myself what he seemed to see in me. All I could see was weakness and uselessness. Still, it was nice of Gaucho to, at least, try to make me feel better about myself. "I can't disagree with you." I finally said. "Because you won't let me." I looked toward my sultan and offered a small smile. "But ... I guess I could try to be strong for you and prove you right." But I would probably fail and prove to him that I'm nothing but a bottomless well of weakness.

My feathers rustled as I shifted my wings and for some reason my thoughts drifted to Roskuld and Dragomir. They were both my friends and both very dear to me, though I for some insane reason I loved Roskuld a great deal more. "Hey, Gaucho...?" I hesitated, glanced at him then looked back at the path we were walking for our patrol. "We're friends ... right?" I didn't wait for his answer before I barreled ahead and continued talking. "I think ... I mean, I consider you my friend." And my leader, of course. "So, uh..." I stopped then and extended my right wing and reached for one of my golden feathers. My teeth clamped down gently on it and i pulled it loose. And, yes, it hurt. "Here." I offered him my feather, probably looking as awkward as a newborn learning to walk. Gaucho probably thought I was losing my mind.

"."

@[Gaucho]

Image Credits

aud pixel!
Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO

[I SWEAR IN MY MIND I REPLIED TO THIS. X.X]

Gaucho chuckled as Jiji continued to try and pass off the strength that he could clearly see in her. It was a failing of the young, to either take too much credit for their accomplishments and become headstrong, or to not see enough of themselves. The first group usually ended up dying in some horribly stupid way - spurned by the belief that they were the best. The latter group - like Jiji - typically just sifted through the ranks and did nothing with their lives, for they felt it was worth nothing. Sighing softly, the dun decided to ensure that such wouldn't happen to the tri-coloured mare.

At the mention of friends, Gaucho's ear flickered towards her as did his steely gaze. In truth, he had never given it much thought. He had been there when Ranjiri learned to fly - and, although neither of them knew it yet - would be there when she learned of her Father's death. It was strange to think of him as being in any sort of relationship with her, that he actively chose. The two had simply come together through fate and circumstance, and although Gaucho was quite sure he would never let Ranjiri stray too far from his side (metaphorically speaking), it was odd to give it a label. Nevertheless, he supposed she was right. They were indeed friends.

As she extended a golden feather his way, a smile broadened his dark features. Mara slithered down Gaucho's neck and grabbed the feather as gently as she could manage, before pulling herself back up. Using her dexterous tail, she managed to tie the feather into one of the knots in Gaucho's mane. To return the favour, Gaucho reached his peirced nose towards his own wing and plucked a burning feather. However as soon as it parted from his wing, the magical flames ceased and it became shamefully plain. Still, it was the best he could offer. Turning to Jiji he extended it to her as well - to solidify their friendship.

"For jiji-" He mumbled, trying to form the words with her feather still clenched between his lips.

[Assuming she takes it.. >.>]

"Jiji have been crafter now for some time ... Bucephalus say he not want to work with metal ... Would Jiji want to be artisan?" He inquired, his dark stare fixed gently upon her. He wasn't entirely sure what sort of responsibility she was looking for, but knew that she was more than capable. She had watched the likes of Cera and Maren and Bucephalus craft with metal for seasons now. Now the magic was hers to take, if she should want it.

Image Credits

Ranjiri</style>
</style>

I held the feather I offered to Gaucho carefully between my teeth as Mara slithered down Gaucho's neck. I turned my head more toward her and released it when it was within her grasp and watched as she tied it into his mane. It meant a lot to me that he would accept something as silly as one of my feathers as a sign of friendship and it meant even more that he would offer me one of his own. "Thank you." I murmured, unable to hide my smile as he offered it to me. I reached and took the feather that Gaucho offered me then turned and tucked the end of it into the tail-ring that Ros had given to me. When we got back to the Throat I would find someone to tie it into my mane so I wouldn't lose it.

"Jiji have been crafter now for some time ... Bucephalus say he not want to work with metal ... Would Jiji want to be artisan?"

"What?" I didn't really believe what I was hearing. Was he seriously offering me a rank that came along with magic and responsibility? Did he really have that much faith in me? Why? I bit down on my tongue to keep from voicing those questions and, instead, I stared at Gaucho. I guess I was looking for some sign that he was messing with me, but I never knew or heard of Gaucho telling jokes or pulling pranks.

"Me?" The idea of it was both exciting and frightening. "I would work with Cera?" I didn't mean it to come out as a question, but more as a statement. I liked the idea of working with my brother, of building things to help the Throat. I thought that I could even make something for Ros and that thought made my smile grow and pushed me into making my decision. "Yeah." I finally said, nodding my head. "I would like that a lot. Thank you."

"."

ooc://
@[Gaucho]

Image Credits

aud pixel!
Ascended Helovian

GAUCHO

The look of surprise that lit up her beautifully dark features made Gaucho smile. Why did so many doubt him, when he promoted them? Bucephalus, Tandavi, Maren ... Cera, Bucephalus again. Did they think he threw titles around? That he really took no notice of them? He knew them all much better than they thought that he did, and while normally their looks of shock and awe frustrated him, with Ranjiri it only made him smile. She would stop doubting herself one day - perhaps once she built the Throat into an iron castle. Then, he was sure, she would see in herself what he had seen in her from her early days in the sands.

"Yes, Jiji." He confirmed, flicking his tail with amusement.

Gaucho had completely forgotten the tie between Cera and Ranjiri. Although part of his mind recognized both as children of Midas, only one was his offspring. Perhaps that's what caused him to not think of them as siblings immediately - or perhaps it was the gulf between them and their Father. Whatever it was, Ranjiri's outburst made him shake his head in agreement. "Yes with Cera." He agreed warmly, happy that she had accepted her promotion.

"One set of pillars is done .. set on Heart-side need to be completed. That what Cera is working on ... at least Gaucho think so." In truth, he hadn't seen Cera lately. The crafter had been exhausted, seemingly drained of everything save for his spirit - and even that was lacking. The dun had assumed that he was just taking a break before the chill of Frostfall hit. Although perhaps it was time to check up on him...

Looking around, Gaucho halted, content with their patrol. Although Astraeza hadn't joined them, it had been uneventful and so the weight of her absence wasn't really felt. It had given him time to speak with Ranjiri after all, but disobedience was not something the dun took lightly. With a sigh, Gaucho turned his steely gaze to the skies. "Gaucho not see threat here. Back to Throat ?"

Image Credits

Ranjiri
{
"Grief never ends, but it changes. Its a passage, not a place to stay. Grief is not a sign of weakness, nor a lack of faith. It is the price of love."
I listened intently as Gaucho began speaking about a set of pillars that needed to be completed and how he thought that Cera was working on them. When we got back to the Throat I would have to go look for my brother to inform him of my promotion and offer my help. I was both excited and terrified by the title of Artisan and the magic that came with it. Yes, I had observed Cera while he crafted before, but I had never been of much help. I'd never actually built anything on my own before. "I'll try my best." I assured Gaucho as we continued our patrol, but what I really meant was "I'll try my best not to disappoint you." The idea of disappointing him weighed more heavily on me than the idea of disappointing anyone else, as strange as it was. But ... I don't think anyone ever had as much faith and confidence in me as Gaucho had.

...I didn't want to let him down.

I lapsed into silence as we continued to walk, my mind just a jumble of everything that had happened to me in such a short period of time. I was caught off guard by Gaucho stopping and had actually walked several steps past him before I realized he wasn't next to me anymore. I turned and looked at him, my ears tilting forward as he spoke again. No threat, back to the Throat. "Okay." I agreed, offering the Sultan (who was also my friend) a smile. I waited for Gaucho to take to the skies so I could follow after him. I couldn't wait to get back home so I could find Cera and tell him about my promotion.

"."

ooc://

I assumed they'd fly back to the Throat. If not let me know and I'll alter my post.

end? lol

Credits

aud pixel!