the Rift

[PRIVATE] And the Gulls

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen
A S H A M I N
on his own
Since venturing North Ashamin had discovered more than a few new things. The night sky had been the first thing to take him by surprise; now, in the daylight, he wandered Northeast and kept his eyes on the earth. The steppe he traversed was full of a wild and familiar chill that he relished in. With every breeze came a reminder of home and a twinge of joy mixed with sorrow. It was strange to feel both at once, but something he found himself feeling nonetheless. What was it called, that odd admixture?

The buck stepped heavily as he contemplated this. Ashamin watched with innocent pleasure as he made little heart-shaped marks in the snow if he pranced, took pleasure in the parallel lines he left behind when he dragged himself along instead. There was a neatness to his trail that was distracting, and if that was all he could think of he could perhaps forget his troubles for a time. His tail stirred the frigid dust and his eyes, black and deep, reflected a mode of intense concentration. He paid attention to the pebbles and the chips of ice, he listened to the wind as it whipped bitterly across the land and buffeted his chest.

And then, over the hill, the ocean arrived and Ashamin found himself being carried forward in a rush on churning legs. The water was something he'd never seen before in such a large mass. He galloped towards the ocean, taking in its every quiver and detail as he drew nearer. There was a thrill in looking out and seeing nothing beyond the sea of greyish-blue, an energy he felt rush into him like the foam on the shore. The waves in this cold land were soft ripples, bobbing floes to and fro and hosting a variety of whirling, cold-weather gulls. Ashamin only forced himself to halt when the water was just a few feet away; he careened and jolted, stumbling back when he realized the shock he'd almost given himself. What a land this was--he thought with the pride of a new native--with its wide frozen oceans and bright, painted skies--with magic, with constant ...company.

It suddenly dawned on the young stallion that once again, as beautiful as the surroundings were, he was alone. Alone for once, after three years of companionship. Grieving, alone, and bitterly afraid.

Overhead, the gulls whirled and cawed to each other endlessly.

And the gulls,
whirled above
as his heart
fell into
its pit

[[For Einarr; Edited to add a brief poem that I had sudden muse for.]]

(table by Tamme)

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Einarr Posts: 113
Absent Abyss atk: 5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 hh :: 8 years HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Time
Stand on my feet
Dance the warrior, the warrior

EINARR

The pegasus soared high as he covered the earth. Cold air bit at his wings and, as he drew farther and farther north, the air became too thin for him to fly so high in the clouds. Carefully, Einarr let the old drifts bring him towards the earth. Sienna eyes scanned below him, his massive wings keeping him soaring easily in this lower altitude. This was the perfect way for Einarr to clear his mind, to think clearly. For Einarr was a thinking creature, a silent intellect hidden behind his broken speech. Many could write him off as plain stupid for the way his tongue staggered and stumbled over the foreign tongue of Helovia's common language. It was untrue, however, and he was able to show his true intelligence with those that shared his native tongue. Gaucho, his khal; Rhoa, his herdmate; Mordecai, his daughter; and even Megaera had picked up on some of the words that transferred between father and daughter. In the sky, however, he did not have to speak to anyone. He was free to think clearly and liberally, and his heart and mind soared just as his physical body did.

As he flew, his eyes fell on the galloping form of another. Einarr tilted his head some, wondering why the creature was moving so quickly. Keen eyes flicked towards the ocean and a hot, sudden wave of panic struck his breast. The stag was going to kill himself in the freezing water! Quickly, Einarr tucked his wings in to his sides and divebombed for the stallion. Einarr watched as the boy sputtered and stopped, moving away from the water for an instant. The motion was just before Einarr landed. The inky stallion broke ground on cloven hooves hard, his large body puffing up and his wings snapping open. He had landed between the stag and the water, and his eyes were wild with the concern and confusion he had felt. "What troubles you!?" He demanded, eyes locked on the smaller, painted stallion with determination for him to answer.

Einarr knew the strength of water and what it could do. The arctic nature of this ocean, Einarr guessed, could only amplify the power the water held in its nature. While the stallion had grown up in the desert and currently resided in a desert, he had heard great tales of northern raids and wars where warriors were frozen to death from their own arrogance and stupidity.

if you bury me, i'll bury you
pixel by sourful

A S H A M I N
on his own
In despair, Ashamin had shut his eyes and turned his face away from the cold reality of the sea. There was something about its massive, open pool that, faced with his own emotions, he could not bear to look upon. He felt empty and utterly alone, with his father gone and his heart a lead burden in his black, deep chest. His horn rattled as he exhaled, the white stone encapsulated in it a constant reminder of sorrow.

When he inhaled again, he breathed in new air. Suddenly, the world around him buzzed with activity. There was a blustering sound, something like the whip of winds and the rustle of feathers. The gulls, he thought to himself with a bitter lurch. Come to torment me further in their brilliant coterie. Very well.

Ashamin stamped, harsh, leaning his body back into a faint rear before landing with his head swinging low and rough towards the earth. When he landed his eyes split open, and with shock he realized how foolish his assumption had been. Before him, planted firmly in the snowy shore with dust about them, were four obsidian cloven hooves.

His heart pounded, and his ears filled with the sound of feeling. A unicorn, maybe another basiner, maybe, but maybe, too, the sturdy cannons of his father--Veril, back from the dead. He could picture himself now, lifting his cheek to press against his father's firm and steady neck, lifting his gaze to take in the beauty of the horn that he had longed for as a colt. Affection, once more, rose within him. The reality that he believed was too good to be true, he almost couldn't bear to turn his eyes upward for fear that his joy would overcome him.

But no, it was not to be, and when Ashamin at last braved a look, he could not have been more despaired. Ashamin could not have been more mistaken. As he lifted his gaze from the sturdy hooves before him, he followed the line of hocks, cannons, and a barrel, and then saw what his father never had been, what Ashamin had never seen before: a Pegasus. Wings, big black monstrosities that spread with majesty and terrifying, awesome power, sent a stirring of air towards the young stallion.

He could not shake the fear from his expression. And then, just as he has made up his mind to turn and run, the giant winged beast yelled, demanded of Ashamin. He could barely process the words; he stood frozen, his body leaning away from the stranger, his eyes transfixed on the wings that sprung neatly from the other stallion's back.

"What troubles you!?" The words rang in the stallion's head, and he longed to shake them out. But there was nothing that could move him now, as he stood silent and shaking, unable to react, unable to run, unable to, as he so wished, stop crying.

The shock, the misperception, and the grief was too much. Sudden, hot, embarrassed and horrible drops of wet streaked down his cheeks. He quivered, knowing nothing, feeling everything, wanting desperately to do something, to act, but he could only think of the strange stallion's words, thrown out like an accusation.

"I'm dying!" he cried out suddenly, unsure what he meant, barely able to grasp the words even as he blubberingly spoke them. "I'm dying and you're going to kill me before I even can, and I don't know what is happening to my heart!" His heart pounded and his black eyes stared, wet and fluttering. He felt every terror and fear and lack of love he'd ever known and his heart, his heart, oh how it struck in him such a terrible, unforgiving beat.

And up above the stirred gulls began to fight for fish, wheedling out their war-whistles and jests, beating wings against bird-breasts and cawing the calls of courage.

When he felt,
saw four hearts,
he was home
for a thought.

When he saw,
felt new fear,
he was lost
one more time.

[[For Einarr]]

(table by Tamme)

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.

Time
Stand on my feet

EINARR

Moments past in silence as Einarr stared down at the smaller stallion. His breathing was hard and deep, but he settled his body some. Massive wings tucked into his ribcage and his muscles relaxed some. The boy with the twisted horn before him did not seem angry for the inky blood rider's intrusion, in fact he seemed quite the opposite. As the stag looked up at him, tears brimmed in his black eyes and fell over his dark lashes. The larger man took a step back, head lifting some and ears pressing forward. Confusion laced through Einarr's mind as the stallion before him cried. He had never seen a grown man cry before. But, if the boy was trying to kill himself, then perhaps in that desperation anyone could be moved to tears.

Suddenly, all of the stallion's words came out in a rush of breath and Einarr tilted his head some. "Einarr not hurt you. Einarr help. Killing yourself is not the answer," The titan moved his head to motion towards the water behind him, before taking a step forward. "Why your heart is such....athohharar?" Einarr paused between his last word and the rest of his sentence, unable to recall the word that covered what he meant in the Helovian tongue. "Why sad?" He asked directly after, though the word sad did not even shed a light on what he was truly asking. This stallion was in distress before him, defeated, collapsed and Einarr wanted to know why so he could help.

Einarr took a step forward and reached his nose out toward the painted stallion. He breathed slowly out through his nostrils, and he turned his body some to invite the man in. "Einarr here to help."

pixel by sourful

A S H A M I N
on his own
The ocean hissed behind the pair and the stale wind of the day stirred about them. Ashamin watched as the stallion before him, a great beast, folded his wings and cocked his head, as if sorting out the information thrust forth at him from Ashamin's still-parted lips. The figure that had seemed so instantly menacing relaxed as if aware of Ashamin's apprehension. Then again, how could he not be? the young buck thought to himself with a rising shame. Slowly, feeling returned to the young stallion; his cheeks were still wet but the tears, sudden and unexpected, slowed their flow to a halt. The words of the older stallion washed over Ashamin in a soothing, broken tongue. Einarr, as Ashamin gathered he was named, spoke words Asha had never heard. But he also had wings, so how unexpected was that?

It took a few moments for Ashamin to be able to even comprehend what was being said to him. The sentiments were difficult to absorb, particularly in their fragmented form. But Ashamin learned quickly that Einarr was trying to help, not meaning to harm. And in a state as desperate as this, was that not enough? He recognized the same tenderness in the stallion that Lena had put forth in the forest of the threshold. Perhaps that was simply the state of those who inhabited this new land. Perhaps all were really this kind.

This time, his hesitation did not last so long. He still stuttered, his mind tripping over Einarr's words and their meanings. Killing himself? Had that been what Einarr had thought Ashamn had been doing, had thought he had meant? He cast a quick glance at the water past the stallion and wondered if there was something deadly about its rocking, something that could have brought him to his end. Would he have entered it, moments later, even having stopped, if not for Einarr?

The nose of the other stallion hovered, an open expectation and invitation. Ashamin felt relieved at the familiar gesture; Lena had stuttered at his proffering a touch, but this stallion, lacking the accent he'd heard in others and clearly not a native (perhaps even his wings were a sign of this, perhaps he came from some land inhabited by bird hybrids of a different sort,) seemed to recognize Ashamin's natural greeting. Slowly, nervously at first, Ashamin extended his neck, lowered in a submissive stance, and pressed his cheek first to the nose of the other stallion.

"I... I was not trying to kill myself," he explained in a whisper, his heart still beating in his ears with something akin to fear, even as he approached the stranger with a stance of forborne trust. "I'm just so alone, for the first time. And I don't know what to do."

As he spoke the second set of words, his closing reply, he pressed himself suddenly closer to the larger stallion. There was comfort in the shimmer of his ebony coat and his muscled, warrior's hide--so like Ashamin's fathers. He pressed forward until his chest locked with the stallion's and his neck extended so that his head rested at the joint of Einarr's massive black wing. He took in the sight of the feathers and the warm comfort of another for the first time in so long. Quietly, he murmured: "My name is Ashamin."

And, hovering over the softly roiling waters, the Gulls carried on, diving and darting over the surface, with tangled talons tracing the paths made by prey and splashing white-blue foam into the wind.

What he meant
what he said
who could know
in the end?

With a tear
and a touch
gentle hearts
remind love.

(table by Tamme)

Time
Stand on my feet

EINARR

The moments in Einarr's life where he was quiet, soothing, and comforting, were far and few between. However, they seemed to be coming in full-force now. Since Mordecai's birth and Histe's death, Einarr had offered comfort and close protection to a few that seemed to desperately need it. This stallion was no exception before him, as he stumbled over words and cried. Einarr knew that tears could be caused many different ways, but there seemed to be a pit inside of this boy with the twisted horn's stomach that just let everything he felt come out in waves. Even as Einarr lowered himself to help this stag, and bring him in for comfort, the black guardian was thankful that he had a hold over his own emotions that could hold him back from making such a scene of himself. He was a blood rider, a warrior made to be of stone, unbreakable and hard. He fit the bill well.

First, the stallion returned Einarr's gesture. He pressed a wet cheek into his muzzle and Einarr breathed over it slowly, the warm breath mixing with the salty, cold northern air and creating a puff of steam. Einarr pressed his muzzle in and ran it down the length of the stallion's cheek, hoping this simple motion would comfort the stallion. Einarr could not express the comfort he wanted--needed--to extend to this stallion in words, for his knowledge of the common tongue was obviously low and broken. He would have to do it in actions, in gestures, and for some reason this did not make the stallion falter or hesitate at all as he engaged the painted boy. Einarr moved forward, just as Ashamin moved into him. If Einarr was not wrapped up in a mind to help this boy, he may have smiled or smirked at this happening between them. Ashamin, smaller and slight of body, fit into Einarr's body as he pressed himself into the inky warrior's chest.

Carefully, Einarr let his body relax fully. He did not think that this stallion was capable of creating such a high ruse to get him into this position and take a swing at his life. No, he truly felt everything that he was expressing. Moving his thick neck, Einarr wrapped himself around Ashamin in a warm embrace. Wings unfolded and extended forward, covering most of the unicorn's body. Mordecai yearned to be covered in her father's wings when she felt frightened, and Einarr understood that. His large, dark appendages were like shields to those he was to protect. Ashamin, new to Einarr's life but a fulfilling installment, was on this list now. "Sometimes being alone help make us strong."

@[Ashamin]

pixel by sourful

A S H A M I N
on his own
Something about those wings... Ashamin felt safe in them. And though he normally would have longed to learn of them, learn how they even could be, there was a gentle, strong kindness in their embrace and the moment that they created that banished all curious thoughts from his mind. What was there to do in that moment but relax? He felt Einarr do this, and something about knowing Ashamin was trusted by this stranger bolstered the young unicorn's strength. His shoulders, usually sloped with diffidence, now straightened.

It was strange that in being relaxed Ashamin became more strong. Was this how he had always been? No, it wasn't. With his father his relaxation had been a reliant, dependent one. But Einarr was right; As the bold, black stallion moved his features across Ashamin's and spoke sage, deep-chested advice, Ashamin came to the understanding that this boldness he felt was fresh.

Being alone, perhaps it really could be good. Perhaps it could make Ashamin strong, rather than make him weaker. His father, his father had been strong. That was why his relaxation with Veril had been different. He had known Veril would fight for him to the end. And though his father had wanted him to be a warrior, he had failed; proven himself useless in battle, and quickly the pair had given up.

But, as Ashamin stood in the other stallion's embrace--feeling the feathers wrap around him and remembering his father despite the boundless dissimilarities between Veril and Einarr--he wondered who he would be now if he hadn't given up. Would he have been through with this seemingly endless grief, and proving himself in other ways?

So maybe that was the solution. To be strong. To be a fighter. To be someone who could make his father proud.

Though some part of Ashamin longed to stay forever in the soft warmth of those feathers, a sudden rush of inspiration pulled him back. He shuffled back on cleft hooves. Sharp, dagger-like things that could have been useful if he'd bothered to learn what to do with them. His nose, long and awkward, lifted up as he pulled his neck back to better look at Einarr.

"I've never been strong," Ashamin said slowly, feeling more confident than he could remember feeling in quite some time.
"My father... he was the strong one. He was a fighter. But I suppose that's my job, now," he said with a strange and unfamiliar sort of certainty. Behind him, his tail twitched before finally stretching forward and draping over the bone of Einarr's wing boldly, almost affectionately.

Ashamin knew that Einarr was powerful and strong, just as Veril had been. There was an undeniable air of prowess about the pegasus before him. And Einarr had proven, too, that he was capable of kindness, just as his father had been. Einarr had given him the love that Ashamin's father had so many times before, and completely without precedence; that took a special kind of generosity. And so Asha did not feel scared when he asked the stallion one strange question, one he never thought he'd feel the need to ask again: "Einarr, I've never known how to be strong the way my father was. He was a flawless fighter and I... I've never been anything but this. But you... could you teach me to be strong?"

And as the colt's question settled in the air in a puff of gentle white, the gulls crashed in a clamor along the shore, puffing their chests with pride and pecking upon the pink salmon they'd plucked from the waters.

Those black wings--
brilliant shields
of blood skies--
his comfort
containment
and kindness
inside a
new, brave once.

[[@[Einarr]. Dangit, Time, you put thoughts of being a warrior into the mind of a total weakling. Now he's gonna go and try and be brave and have to get his ass kicked.]]

(table by Tamme)

Time
Stand on my feet

EINARR

Einarr would hold the boy as long as he needed. This embrace was meant to empower and comfort the youngling. Einarr had no selfish intent here. He was merely doing what needed to be done. In the process of saving(or so he thought) this stallion from death, Einarr felt a fondness grow for him. After this day, he would be certain to call Ashamin his friend.

Quickly the painted unicorn backpedaled and Einarr let his wings drop away. His crownless head lifted high and he looked down with unreadable red-brown eyes at Ashamin as he spoke. The boy spoke of his father and the strength the stallion had, and flashes of Einarr's father filled his primitive mind. Nizho was a stallion to be envied, just as Einarr suspected Ashamin's father to be. "Strength is one's own. No two have same strength. Ashamin have his own strength, not father's." Einarr spoke his broken words carefully, but confidently, for Ashamin to absorb. As strong as this stag's father may have been, and as admirable as it may seem, Ashamin could never be that. Ashamin could only be strong in an individual way, carefully carved and laid out for him. His destiny was where his strength waited, not in the shadow of his father.

The painted unicorn's next question made Einarr stay silent for a few moments. Brows knit close together, though gently, as a look of deep thought marked Einarr's face. The guardian looked the stallion up and down, letting the embrace of tail on wing melt the silence. "Einarr teach Ashamin to fight, but will to be warrior lay within Ashamin's heart."

pixel by sourful

A S H A M I N
on his own
Einarr's answers were clear, but Ashamin's thoughts grew muddled. How was he to take the advice? It was true that he was not built for the battlefield as his father had been, and perhaps his strength truly did lie elsewhere, but what was the young stallion to turn to?

Before him stood a warrior of great strength. Einarr knew how to fight, it was apparent in the very appearance of the stallion and confirmed when he offered to teach Ashamin. And Einarr was, to Ashamin's grieving heart, some sort of extension of the lost father. What would impress the memory of his father more than learning to fight--than picking up the task of training once more, and this time not giving in?

Ashamin knew he was not likely to succeed right away. Surely the task would be grueling, surely he would fail. But he had always failed and succumbed. Now he had to prove himself. He turned his gaze away from Einarr and shook his head softly, the rough pockmarked material of his horn perhaps brushing against the chest of the stallion before him. "If I have my own strength," Ashamin answered slowly, "then I have yet to discover it. And I know no other place to start other than where my father left behind."

When Ashamin looked back up at Einarr, into those impenetrable brown eyes, he met the warrior stallion's gaze with determination. He blinked, fluttering lids across two pools of inky black, before speaking once more. "I don't know what lies in my heart. But I have to try and see." That same heart pounded as he spoke with ferocity fueled by a desire to please. He would show his father, Einarr, someone, anyone, that he could be useful. Maybe, even, that he could be a warrior.

While Ashamin's heart drummed a new beat, one of confidence and passion apart from guilt, the gulls stirred their feathers, fought over food, and forayed into the familiarity of familial relationships.

Decisions
of his strength;
decisions
he could not
make, but feel.

[[@[Einarr] Short poem. o.o]]
(table by Tamme)

Time
Stand on my feet

EINARR

Einarr listened as Ashamin spoke. Carefully, and almost unknown to him, his postures straightened and his chest puffed. The stallion before him had transformed from the guarded, terrified boy he had landed in front of and saved from himself. A sense of pride waved over the guardian, and he outstretched his wing once more and touched the apex of it to Ashamin's shoulder. "Einarr train Ashamin to fight. Ashamin must also train himself. Condition, strengthen." He nodded, pulling his wing back in to rest against his ribs. "Einarr must return to Throat. Einarr must complete daily duties. Mordecai will wonder where Einarr gone to." The black stallion nodded, mostly to himself, but still noded all the same.

"Einarr return for Ashamin, here, in just a moon's time." Einarr's voice was deep and dense, showing all the promise he had in his valiant chest. It was a promise he planned to keep, for the sake of this boy before him. "Be strong, imesh lajak." Einarr finished, reaching out to touch his muzzle to the painted one's cheek. Turning his body, the stallion's powerful wings extended and flapped. Within moments, he was in the air, pulling himself higher and higher on the warm currents between the cold, rushing air. Sienna eyes narrowed some, protecting his vision from the biting wind. In his wake, gulls flapped and cawed their displeasure at his sudden movements. A smile, bold and true and unusual on his lips, grew wider and wider at the hope within his chest.

The Warden was going to become a right teacher.

[imesh lajak = young warrior | @[Ashamin] ]

pixel by sourful

A S H A M I N
on his own
Ashamin listened with attentiveness, his large ears pricked forward and swiveling with the sound of the older stallion's voice. The roughness of Einarr's voice, his fragmented language, all added to the appearance of strength. Einarr had power, and so too, could Ashamin. But Einarr was right: he would have to practice, condition, and train himself.

Ashamin nodded along with all the advice the older stallion offered, his long tail bobbing behind him as if recording a checklist in the cold sea air around him. He would make himself strong. Damn it, he could defy his ineptitude, for once in his short life--for once in his pattern of grief. Ashamin continued to nod and make note even when Einarr began to speak of things he did not know: of throats and a Mordecai. Were these more reflections of his broken tongue? No, Ashamin didn't think so. The other stallion simply seemed to be thinking aloud, or assuming Ashamin could fill in the blanks himself.

He couldn't, but Ashamin couldn't do many things. Still, he would focus. And if Einarr told him to train, then train and rehearse he would. Battle was an art he would learn, a performance he would master, and that was all there was to do.

When Einarr began to speak of a return, Ashamin stiffened. So The stallion was leaving. Very well, he would make it home on his own. He had known by scent alone that this stallion had not belonged to the Basin, it had been foolish to think their rendezvous could have gone on for any longer. Ashamin nodded softly, extending his features towards Einarr, meeting his black cheek with that of the other.

"I will prepare," Ashamin responded dutifully, his voice still characterized by softness, but revealing a certain strength this time. "And I will strengthen, until we meet again," Ashamin added with a final nudge of his nose against he stallion's cheek.

And then there was nothing to do but watch the bold, black winged-warrior depart. In a flurry of feathers, a rush of a bold, cold gust, Einarr was lost to the sky and Ashamin was once again alone.

And the gulls departed too, leaving on wet wings and diving into currents of air to take them far, far away.

The wind and
the wing-beats--

a takeoff
to remember.

[[For @[Einarr]. Thread complete.]]

(table by Tamme)