the Rift

:: Companions ::

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen
1. I'm... unsure about this. I think have it differ based on class maybe just make it less restrictive? Have different, broader options. IE:

Plain: Only nature tones, browns, grays, etc.
Common: Any basic color on the rainbow.
Royal: Metallics, patterns, iridescent, clear, etc.

That way there is more variety but still some prestige of having a gold dragon or whatnot.

2. Definitely no. I think people should have to think about why they choose what species they choose and how that will affect their companion options. Plus, it's always made sense to me that dragons go to equines, who are at a mythical/physical disadvantage otherwise. I would be really upset to see this system gone, I think species specific is a good way to create variety and thoughtfulness in character creation. Plus, without species specific, equine hybrids will become essentially pointless.

3. No, I think there are plenty.

4. I think there should maybe be polls based on desire for certain types of companions, or something, to decide what to drop. All I know is the probability of getting the type and class you want is... slim. And the amount of people competing lower your chances of getting it if it even shows up. I mean, how long has Irrydae been wanting that Roc, for example? I understand there will always be someone who wants something other than what gets dropped, though, so therein the problem lies. And I know from an administrative perspective that simply "doing more drops" isn't a solution. But there's got to be some way to strike a balance, maybe. I feel as though at the moment, simply probability wise, getting the companion you want can take years OOC, and while I understand that mythical companions is supposed to be hard, that feels a little extreme to me.

This is my best possible solution: maybe just do drop based by class and let the player pick what companion type once they win? That makes it easier for admins to keep track of what has been done, too; all they have to calculate is how frequently to do them based on class rather than species type or any of that. Players could pick normal, mythical, species specific, whatever they want, with the only restriction being whatever class they won it from.

There would be more drop participants so probability of winning might be lowered somewhat but at least people wouldn't be waiting around just for the right thing to show up, you know? And if you wanted to slightly increase drop frequency, you could maybe place a restriction that you can't participate in two drops in a row or something, with an IC explanation of it being improbable for characters to encounter an RE that soon after the first. That would lower the number of participants.

OR, you could use a system similar to the new invasion one, where depending on where you are in relation to the drop's location (which could be determined randomly by a die roll for fairness) your odds are lowered or, if you're too far, you can't participate at all.

5. I like that they take into account previous rejections, I think it really helps those who have been waiting longer. And the objectivity of it all will always be a pro for me, considering fairness.

6. I like non-mythicals but I'm kinda boring. Dragons are always classic, and I think the Cerndyr are interesting.

7. Honestly, I don't really get the Boggarts. But that's just me. I like the Kitsune and Hellhound but a part of me also wonders why there are two canine-based mythicals.

8. Yes! This would be awesome! Especially if they were a mythical species that could not be otherwise obtained, like a wyvern or a mini hippogriff. I think this would be really unique and a great reward for active characters/ those who IC save the day with SWPs.

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Messages In This Thread
:: Companions :: - by Official - 05-12-2015, 08:46 AM
RE: :: Companions :: - by Ranjiri - 05-12-2015, 09:46 AM
RE: :: Companions :: - by Ashamin - 05-12-2015, 11:52 AM
RE: :: Companions :: - by Tamme - 05-12-2015, 12:22 PM
RE: :: Companions :: - by Ashamin - 05-12-2015, 12:28 PM
RE: :: Companions :: - by Volterra - 05-12-2015, 02:29 PM
RE: :: Companions :: - by Tamme - 05-12-2015, 03:38 PM
RE: :: Companions :: - by Volterra - 05-12-2015, 03:40 PM
RE: :: Companions :: - by Mirabella - 05-12-2015, 05:09 PM
RE: :: Companions :: - by Elsa - 05-14-2015, 07:08 PM