the Rift

[OPEN] barbarian's prisoner

Dröm Posts: 114
Hidden Account atk: 7 | def: 10.5 | dam: 3
Mare :: Equine :: 14.3hh :: 5 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
baylee

Dröm
we're all addicted to something that takes the pain away

My strides lacked certainty as I daintily moved towards the center of this ghost town. Had anyone truly invaded this land? Where were the horses that had all so proudly forced us out of our home? My brow furrows, revealing my suspicion. Legs ceased movement as I glanced around, searching for everyone, anyone. A quiet sigh escapes past my dry lips as my head drops towards the ground. The green blades of grass tickle my delicate muzzle as I continue forwards. A small pond approaches, the distance between my dusty frame and the refreshing liquid is small and greedily, I trot towards the water. Soon enough, the cool water is lapping at my hooves as I plunge forwards. The salt from my sweat is wipped away with all the dirt and dust that had previously clung to my copper hide. At my crest, a blonde made tumbles down in loose waves, the tips skimming the top of the crystal-clear water. My body goes soft, dropping lower into the water, halfway sinking. I didn't really mind that the water was dangerously close to invading my nostrils and drowning me, the pleasant feeling of the grime stripped away from my coat making up for my worries.

After a plentiful bath, I drag my wet frame towards and especially lush spot of grass. My hide is moist, droplets dropping to the ground with each swift movement I make. The sun bored down onto me, but I love it. The shadows are cold, and I had spent too long with them. It would bes shame to grow as cold as the darkness of those shadows. The sun was much more pleasant than lurking around in dark places. My eyes flutter shut as I drop to the floor in ecstasy, adoring this moment and everything about it. I was home. Quickly, I fell into a calm slumber.

My dream is wonderful, filled with love and warmth and kindness and in my sleep, a kind smile tugs the corners of my maw upwards in a content smile. In my dream, there are children. My children. My dream family is happy, growing up with the strength of ten oxen, the wisdom of the wisest elder, and the sweetness of a very sugary candy. Yet my dream shatters quickly as I jolt awake. It was too perfect. I wanted it back, and I wondered if I could fall asleep and redream that dream ten more times, but alas, I can't. So I just lay on my side, the grass creating a soft pillow for my sorrow-filled mind. Surely this is how no prisoner should be treated. Where are the shackles and the cruel bites of whips? Why have they not used me as a punching bag yet? This prison system is fucked up. I'm not even in a prison. Speaking of which, where even the hell is my guard. Y'know, the barbaric one that invaded and kicked me out of my home then challenged me? Yes, that one.

"blah blah blah."
@[Kaj] if you want and whoever else! I didn't want Dröm to not be posted so I just went ahead and created a thread. If someone wants, they can surely come and put her in the prison or whatever xD

[Image: 53d6f2ea9010d]
pixel by baylee

Kaj The Aurelight Posts: 381
Hidden Falls Conscript atk: 4.0 | def: 9.0 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2hh :: 8 Years 9 Months HP: 69.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Arabella :: Common Zephyr :: Wakiya Brit
StormBringer

Disappointment. It was the only vague emotion that the Czar could feel in regards to his new captive. The long journey back to the Falls had been orchestrated in almost utter silence, Kaj unwilling to speak to the idiotic dame who had foolishly targeted him and she apparently considering him to be a holier-than-thou type. Kaj cared so little that it was even less of an annoyance than a tiny fly to him. She had made her decisions, in a fully capable mindset. Just because she foolishly assumed she would not be punished, that she did not deserve punishment (something Kaj could still not wrap his mind around, as much as he tried) did not mean in any way that it would hold true.

History had proven that nearly all leads reacted in such ways to attempted thievery and kidnapping, regardless of the supposed rank and station of the composer. It only made him further exasperated with her childish idiocy that she whined over having her wrists slapped. Kaj could have easily crushed her pitiful frame into the grass, really made her feel her mistakes, the full weight of a well-trained Falls warrior. He hadn't, because unlike what she clearly thought of him, he wasn't a mindless monster. Did he desire to push her around for her flawed comments? Of course. But he truthfully wanted to have Evangeline brutally point out her inadequacies instead, as she was so fond of doing. Dröm seemed to rely more on words than actions - and oh, fancy that, considering she'd tried to steal him. Words, his ass. She should stick to her playpen, Kaj snorted to himself. A fully grown mare in her prime, and yet she had the mind of a foal, blind to future consequences for her actions.

Gods, how had Midas and Ghost ever dealt with her?

When they arrived, Kaj did not let her too far from sight. Though he was not in her immediate vicinity, he was always vigilant, always watching. Perhaps he would assign her to another warrior, if only to see how the first job would go about with one of the younger shield-bearers. Humming to himself as he watched Dröm slip into slumber from afar, the Czar considered approaching Ktulu sometime soon, figuring out which soldier needed the experience most. Their mettle needed to be tested immediately, Kaj would not allow failure so soon after securing the lands.

Lost in thoughts, the golden stud allowed the sun to soak his similarly painted coat, inhaling what could practically be the scent of peace and relaxation. The approaching winter would steal it away far too soon, he intended to enjoy it to the fullest while it still existed. Autumn was not a preferable time for an invasion, but Kaj knew that the old Edge had made him and his people strong, and that strength and health would last for the coming winter. He would make it so, if he had to. A new determination surging inside him, pale blues opened to see Dröm similarly stirring. Grunting softly to himself, Kaj strode down the hillside towards her, wingtips dragging upon the ground in a way he'd been unable to experience in the Edge. This truly was a land more favorable to pegasi.

"You're awake," he noted on a civil rumble, posture sturdy but far from intimidating. Relaxed, almost. Kept far enough away from her to not frighten or crowd her when she awoke, likely a little disoriented naturally, the Czar blinked calmly down upon her. "Are you well? You appear to have not been eating. Resplendence may have herbs for you if you are ill, my knowledge of them is sub-par though she tries her best to teach me." A tiny smile. He did not like her very much in some aspects, but Kaj would not be cruel when she was already his prisoner. It would simply be over-kill. Plus, he'd rather she see him and his herd as more than just some beast. Though he still thought she deserved her punishment, that had no bearing on the rest of his thoughts and actions. Her punishment was already in action, the rest could be dealt with. What was the use in roughing up someone who was already beaten and properly (though not in the way Kaj had anticipated when he'd challenged her) defeated? Nothing, that's what.

Perhaps he'd even shock her. Now wouldn't that be amusing.

venomxbaby @ DA :: Blusl @ DA

credit bronzehalo
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd

The girl finds all of this very interesting. There were whispers that someone had stalked the shadows, looking for their Stormbringer, but Isopia had assumed that it was all gossip and nothing more. After all, Kaj was one of the most reasonable creatures she had met - why would anyone try to use deception and force to try and gain his ear? Why not simply ask? And so, as the Stormbringer brought a new face into their midst, the girl watched with interest.

In her raven form, she glided easily in lazy circle overhead. They didn't speak much at first, but soon Kaj's voice rose up and entered her ears. The sound drew her lower. Surely he would recognize her - he had seen her often enough in this form. If nothing else, the skull-markings that appeared even in this form would surely give her away. Perhaps not to his prisoner, but to the Czar for certain. He offered her food and medicine. Nothing interesting yet. The girl wanted to know why he had brought her here, and why she had tried to subvert him in the first place.

In an even lower circle, Isopia flew. Her raven-black wings caught and gently held the breeze beneath her. Her golden eyes peered intently below, as she forced herself to hear every scrap of conversation. It didn't even cross her mind that Kaj might be bothered by her appearance here. Why should he? It was mere intrigue and nothing more. She didn't judge him - or Drom for that matter. What they did held little fascination for her. Why they did it on the other hand, did.

So she flew, and she listened.

No need to wait for me. Iso is just being a creep and eavesdropping.

Image Credits

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

baylee

Dröm

As the copper woman stirred, her very own guard stride towards her. Power radiated from his body, despite his relaxed saunter. She was sure he'd snap her like a twig if she gave him reason. With that in mind, she quickly scrambled to her feet, thin body erect within seconds. The sun had quickly dried the remaining water from her hide, returning her back to a beautiful umber body with glossy blonde tresses. Despite the fact that her fur was beautiful, she was still unnervingly thin.

His voice rumbles towards her ears as they twist back and forth maniacally, listening to everything around them. Her head is hung low, a submissive gesture. The king will find no fight here, though by his words, it doesn't appear to be what he wants anyways. She wonders why the stallion would ever waste his healers' time and energy on her- it's not like she's important to this herd whatsoever. "You could say I've not been eating. I find my appetite has vanished due to... recent events." Her mind flickers to the horrific memories of war, demotion, outcasting, and the stress of constantly watching over her shoulder because of being an outcast. There are murderers and who knows what else out there, and she had been tossed into them. That is quite overwhelming for a mare that had always been part of some group or herd. "Do not worry about me, bevingade främling. If I fall ill, I can heal myself," she states calmly, her gaze finding his. She hadn't grown one of her green flowers that contains healing abilities in a long time, but there has never been a need to.

"It is wise to learn. I, myself, love to learn about anything and everything. There's something about knowledge that makes me feel alive, powerful, intelligent." The amount of learning she was doing had dropped marginally after she lost her home. Whether it was the will she had to try to learn being stripped from her or the fact that she couldn't really learn about other ranks while being an outcast because there are no other ranks, it doesn't matter. All that matters is that she feels like she is only growing more stupid, thinner, older, weaker by being out there. It's draining for her. Not having orders to fill or pupils to teach is weird and boredom always finds her now. Rankless is the worst rank of all.

"I was wondering... could we go visit the prison?" Her voice is pleading. She would've gone before, but she really didn't want to go alone. It would've been splendid if a previous Falls member could have accompanied her, but no one came, not even new Fall-ers. So, she waited to see if anyone would come. Alas, this stallion comes. His company isn't horrible. It's not exactly pleasant for her, considering she cannot possibly like someone who kicked her out of her home instead of simply asking to join like any civil horse would do, but she doesn't hate him either. That's good, right?

"."
bevingade främling = winged stranger

[Image: 53d6f2ea9010d]
pixel by baylee

StormBringer

Despite all attempts at concealing his formidable mass, exuding an aura of peace and patience, it is a useless endeavor. Though disappointment is absent in his heart when she scrambles to her thin, birdlike legs before him as if fearing a secondary physical challenge. Weathered blue coins kept themselves trained upon the fae as she stumbled to a halt before him, eventually composed once more enough to let her evergreen gems fall upon him properly. Kaj waited with significant patience for her to comprehend his proffered words, offer some sort of response.

"You could say I've not been eating. I find my appetite has vanished due to... recent events." It comes somewhat sardonically, if he is to give her fair recompense and leeway. Nonetheless he allows his head to tilt imperceptibly, as if tempted to stare her down fully - though his unwavering attention as he had sometimes been told was supposedly just as unnerving. "Stress is undoubtedly a factor for lack of appetite, but self preservation is also important. While you are here I encourage you to put on weight once more, it will do you well when you leave." Eyes narrowed almost imperceptibly however as he contemplated the minor inflections of accusation and dare he say hatred in her tone. "But I will not apologize for doing what I believe best for my family, especially when you were more than welcome to remain when we reigned victorious. It would be hollow, as I do not feel real regret. You left of your own accord, and as such are here once more for the same reasons." It was not antagonistic, merely pointing out the obvious. Though the mare had proven herself foolish and tongue-tied once, Kaj would not be surprised if it came alive once more.

Subconscious seemed to pick up on the fact that the bird circling above had done so for too long, too orderly, for it to be natural. Eyes lifted briefly upward, noting the familiar markings and bodice he'd begun to associate with Naamloos. A brief quirk of a smile was offered in case she was looking, unbothered by her entrance and her lingering. She was a curious thing, and Kaj welcomed her questions, as it often put into perspective his own emotions and place in the world. He was not nearly as composed and detached as she, which he envied at times, but she kept his hooves righted and he appreciated that. Having her there at all was already like a peaceful wave of solidarity across the oceanic surface of his soul. An odd influence for one so young to have, but Isopia had far more power and sway than most would expect.

Drom pulled his attention back and he snorted softly, dismissing her words. "I will worry because you are my prisoner, and I will not have you claim ill-treatment beneath my captivity." That was all to be said on the matter, and he let it die a perfect death lest she resurrect it to poke at it further. Pride could do such strange things after all. Like drive a mare to starvation, he mused to himself. Though he hadn't particularly desired to strike up a more intimate conversation, Drom added her own personal feelings and experiences, and so Kaj hummed softly in recognition of her words. "Wisdom is an honorable thing to seek." Was that appropriate to say? Had she been expecting further conversation?

Head tilts fully in persistent confusion over her plea. "Why? I shall not place you in it. You are far from dangerous to me or my denizens, and I already informed you about my thoughts on you claiming to be ill-treated. You are free to roam these lands and heal while you are captive. Perhaps, if you treasure wisdom and knowledge so much, you will learn more about the supposed beasts who captured your home." Dare he say that he is almost smug in his subtle reprimanding of her in that moment, but he did not allow lips to curve in satirical amusement if only to aid in enforcing the ideology upon her.

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu

I watch him from afar for the time being. His movement towards the mare is what drew my attention while I grazed, and so naturally my head lifted to follow and regard him. As I did so I continued to chew the mouthful of weeds and grass that I was working on, the movement forgotten occasionally when something particularly interesting happened over there. Inevitably though, I'd remember to swallow and hungrily reach down for another face-full before resuming my open staring.

I can't say whether or not I would have done this with any horse. It is certainly more appealing to watch than grass swaying in the wind, but it might be more than that too. I feel an odd, pull, towards the... what is the name everyone uses for him? The Stormbringer. Does he really bring storms? Does that mean the grass is always green with him around? Or are these supposedly emotional storms, or even just plain old physical ones born of hoof and teeth?

I shake my head, my thoughts getting sidetracked. Whatever his name, Kaj the Stormbringer has my attention. It began when I first saw him, and intensified when he knew my name. He is not the first to have known me here - that mysterious mare with the golden marking seemed comfortable with me too, and I felt this similar tug of recognition, yet the itching of being unable to completely recall.

I sigh in frustration, wondering who he is, who he really is. Also, who am I? I thought I knew, but he makes me doubt myself, which I don't particularly like.

Swallowing my last bite I stride towards them, creeping up beside Kaj as he's explaining to the mare that she wouldn't be ill-treated. Well, this certainly is interesting after all, and not just because of Kaj's fine man muscles to trace with envy. My dark gaze travels to the mare and back to Kaj repeatedly as they exchange words. Bit by bit I try and piece together what is happening, all the while mindful of any shifts in Kaj's demeanor that might suggest I am unwanted here.

I feel a pull to him, but does he to me? Is the recognition good?

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

baylee

Dröm

Grief is like sinking, like being buried. It's as if she's in water the tawny color of kicked-up dirt, struggling to breath, nostrils just below the surface. Every breath is full of choking and the world fighting to keep air out. There is nothing to push herself upwards, no sides, no way to claw herself up. There is nothing to do but let go, to let the water engulf, drown, save her from this horrible life. Feel the weight all around her almost crush her frail body, feel the squeezing of her lungs, each inhale through a sandpaper jugular a fight, the steady pressure building and building like a stopped up hose, seconds from exploding from the lack of release. There is nothing but the bottom, a dark and endless bottom. There is nothing but the taste of blood, a putrid metallic taste, and the echoes of old things in a mind once healthy. The days that once looked vibrant with colors, now look like the darkness, shadows of what used to be glorious.

The darkest shadow of all speaks to her in words that fall to her ears like a useless chain of mumbles. There is no response from the girl who know stares blankly at him, at the dark shadow, a source of her pain, but not the only one. Her body is sore, bitterly throbbing. A breath that had been held too long is released from her ivory nostrils in the form of a hot gust and she breathes in deeply, an attempt to soothe the desperate ache. Still, her body is throbbing, desperate for air. No matter how much she breaths, it is not enough.

His words cut through her groggy mind sharply, like knives. His reasoning for her to eat more and stay healthy is just so it will be impossible to claim ill-treatment? The last flicker of anything good dies. Why would she truly believed he cared for her wellbeing? Her captor only cares for his image and his herd's image. Dröm just stands, a waste of space and oxygen.

At night, the headland is silent, no echoes of the sounds of coughing, heaving, feverish chatter: noises of disease, which run over the land and fill everyone all with dread. No, no sickness because Dröm's captor, the king, won't allow it. "Healers," he'll say, "go find one." He whose name she does not know, he whom she'll refer to as the Shadow, he whom refuses illness. He is everything she doesn't not want to be. If she knew not better, she would claim that He is only a shadow of what He used to be, therefore will be known as the Shadow, a man draped in a facade of glory and righteousness. Even if the gold mare knew His name was Kaj, she'd still only refer to the tawny colored brute as the Shadow.

Another horse joins. He is dressed in the night, a body of the darkest obsidian. He speaks not a word, yet it is clear he is loyal to the Shadow. Does he know what has happened here? Is the vile smell of blood and sweat from a recent invasion not enough to warn the black horse away? Ink, his name is suiting, but she knows not his name and does not wish to know it. He who sides with an enemy is an enemy.

Hunger gnaws at her like a dog with a rawhide bone. Soon, she would be oblivion, a thin skeleton lifeless on the ground. The image of a golden corpse is not displeasing to the short Arab. Death would be a fine pleasure. Death was a Christmas present, unwrapping a chocolate kiss, rereading a favorite book for the fiftieth time and still knowing you will love it as much as the first time. Death is an inexplicable array of emotions that leads to the divine numbness of lifelessness.

When she first arrived, she slept, dreaming of a time before. She dreamed of what used to be, who she used to call Czar. She dreamed of dark, brooding, stallions that thrilled and excited her. She also dreamed of playing with her snowflake-marked friend. Yet when she wakes up, tears would be evident. The pleasant escape from reality shattering away as she wakes, stirs. And now? She is faced with the harsh reality of the Shadow and his loyal black stallion. They say when death comes, it's a sleep you never wake up from. Does this mean there will still be dreams? Is heaven just our never-ending afterlife dream?

Caramel eyes fall to the ground as she receives the final lecture he gives for now. She refrains from attacking him with words. It was frstrating he had to talk endlessly when all she had wanted to truly do was walk silently towards the prisons. Why did he have to question everything? She wanted someone who would just listen. Someone who would let her open up when she felt she wanted to, when it was time. There was no one like that, not anymore. She'd never met a Helovian that could shut the fuck up, listen, and be patient. In Helovia, everything was rushed and forced, an infuriating combination that had more than once made her angry. Her temper was cool now, though. No fight left. The Shadow cared not about her, not about her feelings or emotions. He wanted answers. She didn't have them. He wanted a reason. She didn't have one. He wanted her to realize that this was all her fault. But she couldn't. The fact that his side had three times the amount of horses her side had was startling. Even if she fought one horse and won, she'd still have to go through two more. Dröm had been bold and fiery, but her body and mind would never last past the second fight. By the end of the invasion, many, many, many horses from the Shadow's side had not really fought. They may have gotten one or two kicks in, but as each fight became 1v1, many horses stood still, waiting for an opponent.

"Nevermind, I'm sorry for asking." Her voice was quiet and soft, kind and gentle. Dröm is a nurturing soul, her voice only proves that point further. Each word is similar to a lullaby, with sweet and relaxing tones. Her face has managed to stay rather blank, showing barely any emotion. If either of the stallions that stood in her company had wits, they'd see that she had built a sort of wall around herself and her emotions, a way for them not to see how she truly felt and a way for her not to be hurt further by any cocky and arrogant horses. Her eyes flicker towards the sky, finding a dark bird circling overhead. Sorry you can't eat me, I'm not dead yet... Despite what it looks like, she thinks sadly before her gaze is once more focused on the brittle grass beneath her hooves.

"."
I got like... random muse for her and this is what happened xD

StormBringer

It seemed Kaj's attempts at understanding the woman were futile, his conversation derailed, ignored and flippantly disregarded. The man gave a hearty sigh to see her vapid vacancy, the emptiness of her eyes, the defensive pose of her posture. His words seemed imperfect, and though she did not deserve it, he found himself desiring to apologize. For what? He had not only listened to her pleas and not fought her, but he had been kind to her to the best of his abilities, had tried to even offer her free reign rather than locking her up inside the prison and forgetting about her. Yet she still found him lacking? What else could he have possibly done? Any other would have been far harsher, considering it was her own fault she'd been taken prisoner in the first place. She was infuriating in her shifting moods and demands, and Kaj despised it.

He is distracted from his frustration by the approach of another, eyes flickering and then catching when form is categorized, recognized. They'd not spoken one-on-one since their odd reunion, as much as Kaj desired to know what had happened to Ink after he had disappeared - under Kaj's watch, at that. His guilt had never truly disappeared over the years, his desire for atonement still present. To know that Ink was not truly dead was a blessing, and it eased the constant throb of darkness in the back of his mind - the one that detailed all the people he had failed, the ones he'd hurt and let down. It had grown far too much since the invasion.

"Ink," he breathed in greeting, turning so that he could keep both mare and stallion in proper, respectful acknowledgment of his gaze. "It is good to see you after so long, my friend," was rumbled pleasantly, eyes like bright summer skies and friendship, lips twitching into sincere, smiling configurations. Moving towards the other soul he proffered nares and muzzle, features calm and inviting. Unaware of the amnesiac state of his brother and oldest friend, there was no reason for him not to indulge in such displays. Until Drom's words registered, at least, swallowed up by whatever injustice he had committed in her vocals.

Sighing softly Kaj backed away from the master painter and turned his attention, undivided this time, back to the woman at hand. "I regret that my words are not comforting you, I've nothing more to offer you. I do wish to become your friend, hate consumes far too much energy and muddles logic I'd rather reserve. You may leave when you are fully healed, though I would press that you remain until Frostfall has passed, or..." trailing off, Kaj tilted head to regard her, a plan formulating inside his head. Toying with it in prolonged silence, he wondered if it was even appropriate of him to offer the alternative. "Or, if you interact with three members of my herd and attempt to understand our reasoning, who we are as people rather than warriors, then you may leave sooner. Perhaps with more of the wisdom you claim to seek." It was finished with a soft rumble, the hand extended, the possibility drawn out. Whether she took it or not was her choice. Again, it was down to whether she could swallow her abnormally large pride.

Drom can be released at your leisure (whenever you say she's fully healed), stay until after Frostfall freely, or for plot purposes she can interact with three other herd members and be let go "early"!

credit bronzehalo
Plot with me here!