the Rift

[PRIVATE] nightingale

Lakota the Poisoner Posts: 278
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9.0 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1hh :: 7 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Aodaun :: Polar Bear :: Terrorize Brit
belladonna, in italian a beautiful lady; in english a deadly poison.

Nobody had ever asked her what she wanted before. At least, nobody but Alleo and perhaps Ktulu. Lakota could not deny that she merely stood there and stared, not quite sure what to make of the question or its underlying message. It made her throat tremble, her lip quiver, and she managed a teary smile. God, how could anybody take her seriously like this? At least Resplendence wasn't laughing at her yet. Aodaun snorted softly at her side. I would sooner carry you away than allow that, he promised. It helped relax the iron fist clenching Lakota's stomach, and with it came far too honest words. "You can call me Kota, nobody ever really calls me by a nickname, and...and I've always wanted to." To be fair Ktulu had names for her, even called her Kota, but there was a difference between having a beloved mate who was also your friend and having just a simple friend. "Nobody quite likes befriending the monster," she laughed, a little watery, bitter thing that she had given up attempting to control. Why was it Ktulu had more friends than Lakota? Wasn't Kota the somewhat nicer one of the demon duo?

Lakota dropped her eyes as the dragon and the mare began to fight, catching on quickly that the beast was unwilling to give Lakota any herbs to help her with the pain - or whatever it was Resplendence intended to do. Her jaw clenched against a new wave of tears. Wow, did the companions not even like her? Surely she deserved it, with all her mortal sins, but it hurt her similarly mortal heart nonetheless to feel the dagger's sting of distrust and hatred once again. There was little area left unwounded on that poor lump of meat sitting uselessly inside her chest.

And even when the dam broke and she began to cry, it ached to see her outburst force Resplendence even further away. Was she such a monster that she scared her fellow kin, even the ones she'd never harmed and had even helped? Surely she was cursed, she despaired. Even the urgent promise of help could not soothe that particular sting, especially as her words - once poised and always properly contained - began to overflow. Perhaps she'd held them back too long in her life, had not allowed herself to feel, and so her hormones were particularly brutal, as if aware they would only be able to control her for so long.

Kitten advanced upon her, but Lakota stood limp and unresisting, completely harmless. In fact, she hiccuped a sob at the words that graced her ears, like salvation and a promise that she was good enough to warrant Resplendence's friendship and aid. She came against her like a crumbling wall, pressing into the mare and returning the motion, draping her own neck over the slightly shorter mare and hugging her close rather than cautiously as the Medic had. "Okay," is all she can brokenly squeak to the initial words, to the promises that Resplendence would never allow anyone to be alone. Not even Lakota.

Archibald...Lakota gave a tired laugh against the mare's shoulder, feeling so impossibly tired, as if she could not even keep her eyelids open with all her will at her back for the task. "He's so busy being Czar, trying to kickstart the herd..." she murmured in explanation. The Poisoner did not begrudge him that, even if it was at the cost of further isolation for the tiny mare. Resplendence's voice is calm and soothing, and Lakota closes her eyes and feels each syllable like a physical caress, pushing her breast closer to feel the real vibrations in the brindled maiden's chest and throat. Normally Lakota would never dare to believe such compliments, but she clung to them with the desperation of a drowning man. Though she still doubted them, perhaps they had some sort of worth if someone who hardly knew her thought such things of her.

"Thank you," she whispered into the long locks near her muzzle. There was nothing else she could possibly say, after all. For all her eloquence she was helpless in that moment. Resplendence drawing away was difficult for the mare, and she flinched instinctively as if to draw her close once more before settling. Though to see further mockery and distrust from Valiance, her face crumpled and she glanced towards the earth, watching as Resplendence handled the herbs. At her side, Aodaun snarled at the beast, eyes promising pain if he exacerbated Lakota's condition. He had no qualms with Resplendence, in fact was nearly close to desperate adoration of her for what she was doing for Lakota, but he would not tolerate anybody or anything hurting his beloved while she was already fragile.

Lakota hushed him weakly, but Aodaun kept his eyes stubbornly on the little red morsel - what he would become, if necessary. Instead, the sapphire siren focused on the words that came next from the Medic's lips. "In an instant," she swore on a breath, eyes finding strength enough to turn hard with her vow. Lakota would give her life in a heartbeat for Ktulu. Though she did find a pitiful chuckle following it, at question of their bullheadedness. "Yes, we are both legendary in our stubbornness," she sighed fondly, eyes tired but still full of love despite Ktulu's disappearance. "But...I haven't seen her at all since I was made pregnant. I've not even had the chance to be stubborn," was admitted, not wishing to dismiss Resplendence's attempt at explanation but finding it too riddle with holes to accept.

Obediently, she collapsed with a complete lack of grace, balancing momentarily on Aodaun's shoulder as he gently lowered her to the ground so she would not hurt herself in the fall. He propped her up with his body when she was settled, else she would have fallen completely prostrate onto her side. The snow bear did not fully trust anybody but Ktulu and Archibald with his beloved, no matter his gratitude towards the quiet medic.

Lakota listened halfheartedly to the herbs and what they were intended for, already leaning forward to draw them into her mouth. Bitter mix as always, but Lakota held appreciation for what concoctions could achieve. "I miss being Medic," she whispered, staring at the ground, unwilling to see the triumph and gloating she feared would be apparent in Resplendence's golden coins. "I had a use, then. I've always been good with herbs, but more so poisons...to finally be able to heal..." she shrugged and let her words die away into silence. "Doesn't matter anymore," she murmured. Lifting her tired head she gazed at Resplendence, eyes glassy once again. "I don't know how to be a mother, especially not alone," she gave in strained whisper, seeking guidance from the older mare in her time of need. She had asked so much already, but the least she could do was try. "I love my foal so much already, I don't want to let them down," was delivered in a far shakier tone, as if ready to dissolve back into helpless, tired tears.

God she hated hormones sometimes.

Lakota
the Poisoner

kaydeniro | larfsalot
on deviantart
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Plot with me here!

Messages In This Thread
nightingale - by Lakota - 05-17-2015, 07:30 PM
RE: nightingale - by Resplendence - 05-17-2015, 08:18 PM
RE: nightingale - by Lakota - 05-18-2015, 11:26 PM
RE: nightingale - by Resplendence - 05-19-2015, 12:15 AM
RE: nightingale - by Lakota - 05-20-2015, 12:28 AM
RE: nightingale - by Resplendence - 05-21-2015, 12:47 AM