the Rift

Stuck In a Rut

Deimos the Reaper Posts: 527
Deceased atk: 7.0 | def: 12 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 7 HP: 72.5 | Buff: NUMB
Heather
Heather is in a rut.

Basically, as I discovered at 1 am this morning (don't you just lose those burst of consciousness things when you're trying to sleep), is that Deimos and I are caught in this giant hole.

This character, whom I adore, has essentially become..in the last couple months or so, a socially inept hermit. Originally, that was my intention - and he'd break out of his shell. He'd meet others. He'd grow.

But, all we do now is a constant cycle. We do the same things. We see the same people. We growl or smirk. We do nothing. We stare. We analyze. If I write about him patrolling the borders one more time, I'm going to break my fingers. He's completely regressed and its driving me insane.

I'm to the point where I'm frustrated about what I've done to my character, and really, I can't see above the hole we've created to where he can go next. This isn't who he should be. He should have more than 0 - 2 friends (in the three years I've been playing him, good lord). He should be more than the unknown Lord sitting beneath his mountains.

But I don't know what to do anymore.

So I'm reaching out to you guys, because my mind is blank and my muse is dry and its not okay. Its not right for my herd, its not right for role-players who even want to post with me.

I don't want the romance plots (<3 Huyana) - he had it and it did cause him to grow. He has a family.

I don't want to kill him off - neither he or I are quite ready (so please don't offer. >.> That'd be the opposite of growth). XDD.

I guess - I'm grasping at straws here. I'd be so willing to open thread with anyone - to get him out there, to see what his goals are now.

Would anyone be willing? Or does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you so much Helovia community, because you are wonderful, helpful people. <33333

Ashamin the Clovenheart Posts: 426
Outcast atk: 8 | def: 11.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2 HH :: 5 [Frostfall] HP: 79 | Buff: NUMB
Lochan :: Plain Cerndyr :: Dark Mist & Rakt :: Common Cerndyr :: Starpast Jen
Hmm.

Based on our conversation the other day I think I am a lot like you in that I don't normally take to the plot boards, and I think that is sometimes what makes this problem. We aren't all fortunate to have character development fall in our laps, and if that happens we get stuck in ruts. What you have with Deimos sounds like what I've always had with Prometheus--maybe it's simply something to do with the death themes. xP

So very much knowing what this is like I want to do everything I can to help. I'm not sure how much that is, and I only have two characters to aid you, but I'll do all I can.

Unless you want Deimos to start thinking about companions, (maybe he seeks one out bc he figures they will be a useful asset but then has feelings unexpectedly or idk, but I find companions can drastically change things about a character for the better) I really doubt Knox will be useful because frankly he's similar to Deimos in his friendless antisocial ways. But I think Ashamin could help, maybe. Ashamin's customary greeting could cause a lot to go haywire and that sort of accident might get Deimos thinking/feeling/something. I don't want him killed but I'm open to the lil guy getting seriously hurt in that way. Ashamin is so wholly innocent that in contrast to Deimos it might spark something? I'm not really sure, but I figure it is worth a try.

Hang in there, the hole walls can be scaled. <3 Feel free to skype me if you find it to be a faster way to talk bout this stuff.

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
Mauja still believes he's a cuddlebutt inside his death shell <3
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Miykael Posts: 136
Outcast
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17hh :: 11 :: Birdsong
Eliana :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Rottie
I'm open for a thread. :D I have Dovahkiin, my only unicorn. Though, if he can avoid trying to kill her, I also have Naerys.
[Image: mikey_by_moonstone_designs-d9dgnba.png]
icon base: Bronzehalo :: from Nickel <3

permission for all except death and dismemberment.
** please tag miykael in replies **
replies slow? check here for status updates.

Isopia the Mountain That Knows Posts: 780
Dragon's Throat Apostle atk: 6.5 | def: 10 | dam: 8.0
Mare :: Tribrid :: 18hh :: 3 - is now aging slowly HP: 90 | Buff: NUMB
Hubris :: Royal Bronze Dragon :: Shock Breath & Frost Breath & Babel :: Royal Gold Dragon :: Fire Breath Odd
He could bitch about the struggles of leadership to Gaucho? He doesn't need to know his antlers aren't real horns :P

Or Isopia could challenge all his world views?

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme
Eerr this may be an unpopular thing, but it sounds like you were going through what I was going through with Paladin a while back when ali was really busy and Soleil wasn't around. Since they were "mates" his behavior had changed a bit, but because Soleil hadn't posted, he had no idea where they were and thus no interaction. I couldn't assume that Sol was still there in the herd because she wasn't being posted, but Paladin would go looking for her. However, ali was out. (Ali and I talked about this too because she felt the same way when I disappeared for a while, so she was just stuck with Soleil).

Being in a "mate" relationship type thing with an inactive family is pretty tough, and I know that's a really easy way to get into a rut. There is too much unknown that bends the oocness of it all with their personalities, so maybe that's something to talk to krazie about?

Then, there is the fact that SWPs continue and their family/mate doesn't post, so do they stay back for the family? Do they try to find them? Ignore them?

Anyway, another easy thing I like to do when I am in a rut with a character is get them in a compromising situation. SO I'll ask someone to steal my character or ask someone to get into a challenge situation - something that actually matters if I lose or matters to the plot. Maybe you could talk to whit or blu since they have characters around/different than him and see if they could get into a good OOC fight or have Deimos need to protect someone from one of them.

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Essetia Posts: 218
Outcast atk: 5.0 | def: 8 | dam: 6.0
Mare :: Equine :: 16.3HH :: 7 HP: 64.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Romul :: Arctic Wolf :: Confusion Linds
I've been there with Thor numerous times and honestly it takes setting new goals for him to get through it. New characters and new ideas usually help with the rut. It seems like something you can't get over, but seriously it can take just one thread to re-find your muse for him. I'd say start writing with very diverse characters in order to find new facets of him or things you didn't know about him before. I just sounds like you're getting bored with his current situation, so it just needs a change. Even posting with him outside of the Basin would helpful in reversing his isolation.

◄ Please tag Essetia in all replies!
◄ Force permitted, but no maiming or killing
◄ Pixel @ SongsOfInfinity

Destrier Posts: 180
Outcast atk: 5 | def: 7.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.3hh :: 16 HP: 65.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Suli :: Common Green Dragon :: Fire Breath & Merlin :: Plain Black Dragon :: Frost Breath Dingo
I'm there with Destrier right now :/ He has just been doing the same things over and over again, and it's gotten worse with my spots of inactivity due to school this year, and he nor myself can even -flails-

I would be happy to thread them together, or any other of my characters :D Maybe Finn who is super bubbly and tries to find the good in everyone would be an interesting, explorative thread.

You may attack and use magic on Des at any time for any reason.

HP: 66.5

Thranduil the Laurelin Posts: 598
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 11 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: Eight HP: 77 | Buff: ENDURE
Haldir :: Common Cerndyr :: Dark Mist Hawk
When I'm really stuck with a character I have a few tricks too.

One idea is to do a few of those 100 question things about your character. A lot of them ask about what they fear, or what they dream of (war? lol). You might could take some inspiration and kick start a few things?

Another idea is going back and trying to add complexity. I almost never get stuck in ruts with Thranduil cause there is ALWAYS another layer, another complexity he has built in. But when I started with him he wasn't that way at all. He was actually a lot like Deimos, on chaos instead of death, but a lot more evil and twisted. I kept getting burned out with him though, so I added a complexity. I know you're not starting Deimos but you might could create complexity? Thranduil's comes from his hallow shell image, and how his lies have taken over his life. But you might could build in something?

Finally, I agree with everyone else, getting out and meeting new people is a great way to add some spice to life, even if he grunts, he's not just grunting on the inside. If you want, the recent events in the Basin could maybe force him to get out more?

[Image: 5381546acbe33]
Feel free to use any force/magic on Thranduil, short of killing him.
Please tag in every post.
Ask Thranduil any question in the world, he'll be forced to answer on his profile. PM with your question.

Heather
Aww thank you guys, seriously. You have no idea. <3333

* Absolutely, recent Basin situation is going to cause some muse bursts/situations all around, which will keep me/him busy for a little while. ;D

* @[Ashamin] I'll contact you on Skype and see if we can set something up between Ashamin and Deimos. I think we could receive some significant character development on both ends. <3

But you're right. I normally don't have plot boards. lol. So here I am.

* @[Mauja] You say that, but you may have a Deimos coming your way soon anyway. ;D

* @[Miykael] I'd be completely willing to thread with any of one of yours. I just want to get him out of the mountains. XDD

* @[Isopia] I think Deimos is going to be coming your way shortly due to the latest herd politic storm. Perhaps they can bitchfest then? ;D Through grunts and such.

* @[Ophelia] As far as the family ("mate") outlook, Krazie and I have talked about Huyana kinda, being around..just obviously not as prevalent. I feel like his family oriented a lot more emotions, so yes, that could be why there's a significant decrease. I'll just keep having him be dear ol' dad to Erebos for now.

* @[Essetia] Thank you dear, I think thats exactly what he needs. And look at all you perfect willing people. -sobs-

* @[Destrier] I'd be totally willing to thread. <3333 We can get over the rut holes together.

* @[Thranduil] Man, those questionaires are so long! ;DDD I can definitely look into them though and see if it brings out more, or if its just baseline stuff. I always presumed Deimos had a lot of complexity/layers to him - but maybe I just haven't made it as prevalent, noticeable, tangible, etc. without the right opportunities. But we'll get back in business.

<3333 Love all of you dearly. I can start some threads or tag you in them or something probably during this long weekend and once we get the Basin's political stuff settled. ^__^

Blu the Bootyful Posts: 443
Administrator atk: 99 | def: 99 | dam: 99
Mare :: Other :: 5'7" :: 25 HP: 99999 | Buff: TWERK
Blu
Holds on tightly

I would love to thread with you more! Ink and deimos could meet and it could be the most silent thread ever :D

I haven't been following much of him lately, but maybe explore his racism - has it changed over time, and if so, to what? What will that change reflect in his actions? Or with the family, how are his feelings on his son? Could you set up a plot where he has to save/protect erebos which in turn may help him realize feelings about his son further? Is there a herd member or two that he connects well with?

With his theme of death and destruction and the warrior career, perhaps as he's aged now he might seek out the depths of healing, or beauty, or just generally get theoretical on life and death and what not. What is his relationship with the gods? Is their immortality something he craves or mocks?

What is the type of king he wants to be, what he perceives himself to be, and what others perceive him to be?

That's all I've got ;-; I just tend to kill the ones I get stuck with and start fresh, but I doubt that's what you want lol.
 HP: 1100

Helovia Hard Mode

Blu
ALSO DEIMOS COULD KILL ODE ENDLESSLY 8D

Helovia Hard Mode

Heather
:P @[Blu] We could always do that thing with Ignatius that I asked you about ages ago? :33333333

Blu
D: what thing, my brain, help it

Helovia Hard Mode

Zandora Posts: 85
Outcast atk: 7.0 | def: 10 | dam: 3.0
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 HH :: 7 years HP: 60.0 | Buff: NOVICE
Evara :: Black Leopard :: None ShadowMare
Well Zandora is not popular, and she's not a nice women. I don't know if this would work but seeing these two in a thread together could be very interesting. I could offer her up as a friends, but it would be one of those twisted friendships? I guess what I'm trying to say is she's just who Deimos is. (hence as to why I'm in love with his type, because Z is just the way he is, but with some sassiness and sluttyness too xD) They could break each others borders perhaps, and she could help him grow whilst he helps her. These two could slowly form a bond, because knowing their type, relationships don't just pop out of nowhere, seeing that Deimos always seems sort of detached and cold.

Now I don't know anything about Deimos's love life, and if he's completely committed to his family, but I do want to say if Zandora and him become good friends, she might start falling in love with him (in some totally insane and unpredicted way) and depending on how he reacts plots could come out both ways. I know you said no love plots, but this doesn't have to be one if Deimos really isn't interested, but it'd be fun to have Zandora just completely break and go mad because of lack of love. Although I prefer one way, I do need her to break and loose herself, and this could be it perhaps.

I hope this typed out well, if you have questions don't hesitate to ask :P
[Image: 56a075b49df35]
No restrictions on things that can happen to Zandora, please tag in first posts only.
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
Also as a note.. because my other post was what, one sentence?

I had this "stuck in a rut" problem with Mauja for .. gods, what was it, something like a little over a year? From about winter 2013-2014 to sometime earlier this year...

What happened, basically, was that I strangled his growth. He was trapped in this situation of having to go to the Edge for a trial, where he suspected they would try to murder him, and not wanting to go into his death without having tied up the majority of his lose ends-- namely, his feelings for Ophelia. And due to circumstances Tamme and I ended up not threading them for this entire period of time. So he was stuck in "I need to find Phi and tell her this so I can finally go to the Edge and get on with my life/my death". And after a while, that ended up being really, really tedious and repetitive and boring, but I couldn't get out of it, and I couldn't get him out of it either.

Finally, though, that spar in December last year happened, and things started moving again. We got to move on and grow and now I'm not stuck anymore!

So.. what I'm saying is.. does Deimos have any of these "things" holding him up? Like Huyana's actual RL absence? Or something else he meant to get done but never did?

Because I think most of the time, when characters get stuck like this, it's because there's something that we don't want to put them through, that we might have to put them through...
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Kelso Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Ever seen a movie with Jackie Chan called Shaolin? Here's the wikipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaolin_%28film%29

Basically a noble who wasn't the nicest guy in the world lost everything, and losing his daughter was the last thread of sanity. He was taken in by a temple of monks after they found him and the dead daughter and was cared for. He went insane and was very bad until he met Jackie Chan who was a hermit living in a shack. He cooked for the temple and the village kids. The noble learned sanity through all sorts of things basically through understanding shaolin teachings (kinda like kung fu/karate is everything from Karate Kid).

Long story short, retreat more into the woods and find yourself hopelessly stuck with my new boy Kelso. Anything can happen really. He could learn a thing or two about the woods and about having a more open mind. And Kelso can tank a meanie I think. I hope this sort of idea does not sound so far-fetched lol. If your char has a fixed personality and you want to change, the only way to change your attitude is to change your outlook on things. So new company, new scenery is my suggesting in short. ^^

There are a flurry of advice and suggestions already and lots of things to get Diemos going again. So if this plottage idea helps great! I'm happy and if not that's ok too. ^_^

-vnes

Heather
Danke for the continued advice guys, it means a lot. <33

I'm still on the fence about the idea Shadowmare, though I thank you for the efforts. I just think he'd still be so fixated on Huyana, it may be a lost cause. .__.

<3 Neo. I think for the most part a lot of these issues have been because he's an unwilling, unsociable, frickin' hermit, and I haven't pushed him out of that. No one knows anything about him. He doesn't open up. He doesn't want to open up. No one knows how much he loves the Basin, how much he yearns to protect his herd, and I'm afraid he'll just eventually fade away into this pathetic little Smeagol. XD There are deep things in him, but the only one who has really seen that is Huyana, and she's not around to pull it out of him.

UGH. SIGH. But see - with all these wonderful people, we're both really going to have to tough it out and socialize. And actually be something besides this stupid ogre. <333

And Kelso - I can certainly put you down for an open thread (once you find yourself in a herd/or Outcast-dom) and see what happens? ;D

Kelso Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Diemos

LOL thanks. i was kind of at a "now what" point. XDD. yes please remember me and Kelso here -pats- when we're good and settled. <3

-v

Zèklè Posts: 166
Outcast atk: 8.0 | def: 10 | dam: 3.5
Colt :: Pegasus :: 14.1 :: Three HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
charks
THROW HIM IN A RIVER OBVIOUSLY. GEEZ.

Give him a super social companion. That worked wonders with Rishima. Kali forced her out of her bubble, and work past her angry hermit mode.

Have Erebos in a life or death situation, where Deimos has to rescue him. Get Erebos stolen. Do something that makes him have to go full protective papa bear mode.

Develop a malevolent, consuming obsession with someone. Plot their downfall. Stalk them. Idk.