the Rift

[OPEN] Shadow in the deep
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

And when my sins are just a memory...
Ophelia left the Aurora Basin with a skip in her step and a grin on her lips, feeling lighter than she had in months. The light on her horn and the key hanging just beneath it were a subtle reminder of the strength she still had left, regardless of her irritated outburst back in the mountains. She knew secrets. She had seen enough. She had listened to Rhea explain that her efforts to rise up in the herd had been ignored, and all of the hybrids who resided within were like her – with horns. Manipulative as she may be, she knew that that information would be useful for some, maybe not so much with others. Gaucho, for example, did not seem to care much what the Basin did as long as they did not mess with his herd. Maybe that would hold true, but he had been more than just an ally; he had been a friend.

The pale princess wandered south, knowing that the war stallion at least deserved to know that she was no longer in the Aurora Basin, and she would wait in silence for years, perhaps. Eventually, she would seek revenge. Having friends in powerful places was never, ever a bad thing. Ophelia would be sure that she repaid him somehow, too. She wasn’t sure how exactly – not yet, but she was thinking with every step in his direction, heart securely shut.

She couldn’t go back now. She couldn’t let Torleik see this side of her – the demon hiding behind the angel. He saw her in a different light, through different eyes, and she did not want to change that. In fact, if she had to label her fears one by one, she would list making Torleik see her has a monster as the first one. Perhaps in her desperation, she would only fuck everything up – she desperately begged the heavens for this not to happen. If he saw her as the terrible, cruel demon who laughed inside, she would be all for naught, but she could not deny that it was there. Ophelia was, after all, a product of her father, and he was plagued with gnashing teeth that haunted his every step. The blood of the Crimson King, Riekahn, was strong, unrelenting, and it cursed ever member of this god forsaken family.

The ocean met her hooves where previously there had only been rock, and she let her key cross a point she had used seasons before. Light formed a solid bridge, and she trotted swiftly over, without hesitation. Ophelia inhaled the fresh, clean desert air and was grateful that the seasons were fast changing – before, the heat was stifling and miserable, but now it was almost comfortable. Strange, dual colored eyes looked around for the unmistakable sign of Gaucho or any of his followers, and she thought that she had a good gift to return him – the very key she wore.

She knew that such items were precious, and in this interim phase of her life, she could not fully guarantee its safety. Ophelia would return it to better owners until she could prove herself stable enough to guard it once more. Patiently she stood nearby, mind racing heavily with thousands of thoughts. Hopefully someone would arrive whom she could relay her message to, even if it was not Gaucho himself.

[[Gaucho, leads? Warriors? Anyone :D ]]

THANKS KAY

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd
With fire to keep us warm, and tools we made from rocks and bones

But it would be Gaucho, for nothing else would be as fitting. The tumultuous times had brought the blood marked princess and the fiery warlord together more frequently than Gaucho could ever have imagined possible. Given the state of their affairs a few seasons past when Gaucho had been ready to tear out Ophelia's throat, that they were allies now was impressive. Friends, even more so.

A benefit of the bridge that Gaucho hadn't counted on, was how obvious it was each time someone used it. The cascading effects of the fire as light glistened over the waters and fiery flaming wings made it impossible to ignore from almost any angle. The Wildfire's dark head jerked upwards as his steely gaze followed the blazing figure of what could only be Ophelia, as she raced across. More favoursssss? Mara asked, tssssking in his mind. The last time the white one had come, it was to put Gaucho on a time-out, or at least that's how she viewed it. Even with her intimate knowledge of his mind, Mara couldn't understand how complacent Gaucho had been with Ophelia's request. Sit out ? While an Invasion happened? It was past the serpents comprehension. Gaucho shrugged his blue-striped shoulders, not particularly caring one way or another. He enjoyed seeing the blood-toned mare.

Taking to the skies, Gaucho flew towards Ophelia on wings of fire. At his side, Vorsa flew with much more skill than ever she had before. She had grown, but not so much that she didn't still look like a fledgling, but enough to have controlled her motor-skills, for the most part.

Descending easily, Gaucho had to admit that he was a little curious as to why she was here. He knew that the Basin and the Edge were victorious over the Falls .. He assumed that the entirety of the Edge had relocated, and knew that 'braids' and 'ice' had been placed into positions of power in the new Edge. So why was Ophelia back? Surely she knew that Kahlua had brought the political candidates to him for judgement? Which meant she could easily figure out how much he knew about the status of the Invasion.

So what could it be?

Lowering himself onto the bloody sands, Gaucho folded his flaming wings against his flanks as he walked easily towards Ophelia.

"Invasion success. Gaucho not surprised." He offered by way of greeting, dipping his bone-pierced muzzle in her direction before casting a stormy gaze over her body for signs of previous violence.

Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Ascended Helovian

No, nothing else would be as fitting. He was almost as diligent as the sentinels of the Aurora Basin, and his only failing was his own humanity and the fact that he was only one. Ophelia smiled, the unchanging aura of Gaucho a comfort to her mind, and she observed his powerful, flaming wings as he descended from the heavens on which he flew. She wondered what it was like to fly so high – to be so free. Tinek had showed her once, but the visual had been nauseating. He must be very brave to be comfortable that high off the ground. The sky overhead was quickly fading into dusk, colors brightly twinkling and shifting in a beautiful way. Truly, his home was spectacular, and she marveled at seeing the Dragon’s Throat in a new way.

A new, fiery creature was at his side, and she took notice, turning her head to the side. “And who might you be?” she asked softly, eyes looking straight at the companion, knowing that they were their own entities. Phi was still not very fond of Mara, and she assumed the feeling was mutual. Perhaps this one was different though.

Gaucho neared still, and she nodding, thanking him for what she took to be a compliment. Such words of praise seemed so rare from him, so she took the sentiment to heart. Ophelia watched his gaze move over her form, unperturbed. Warriors tended to notice the details – as did shadows, and she was unharmed. “The Falls did not put up much of a fight,” she replied, frowning. “Not since Midas died, and it seemed as if the Falls employed far less warriors than anticipated. We moved with too many since our knowledge of the herd was thin. It was a waste of forces, but the point was proven and the battle won.”

The assessment was factual, honest. “But I came to thank you for standing down and also to return your key,” she said replied. Gently, she knocked loose the item from her spiraled, white horn. “I have left the Aurora Basin, and the parting did not go smoothly – not like I intended.” The expression on her lips was bitter and grim, a very clear sign of her feelings on that matter. “So, I am not in a position any longer where I feel this gift can be kept as safely as it deserves.”

Gaucho would most likely want to know what happened, and she took a deep breath, grimacing. “I informed Deimos I was leaving for personal reasons,” she explained. “I offered to help the herd transition with my replacement – since I considered them family. But, my life has… moved in a good direction, so I could not be a good leader, not anymore. I would have been distracted, rarely present… better for the herd, I thought, for me to step aside.”

“Deimos did not seem to agree. He said he was disappointed in me and told me to get out, essentially. I cannot say I was surprised, and my temper did get the best of me.” She snorted, a wry smile expressing her thoughts. “Either way, you deserve to know, and maybe, one day, I will be stable enough to keep your key safe. I am living in the World’s Edge now with the new leaders and Kahlua, if you need to find me.” Ophelia was not sure if she should admit that it was love that took her to such lengths as to remove herself from a herd, but he was a friend.

“I am… following my heart. Something I’ve never done before. It’s… new, and frightening.” She seemed almost shy then, confidence lost to the deep pink sky. “Please tell no one I said that…”

Ophelia looked around at the splendor he provided for his family, and she smiled. "Is there anything I can do for you while I am here?" she offered, genuinely.

THANKS KAY

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.

Ascended Helovian

Vorsa trilled happily happily as Ophelia's gaze was drawn to her. She was so unlike both Mara and Gaucho, in that she was friendly, outgoing, and seemingly trusting of all. Her body burst haphazardly into flame, causing her to softly coo her apology. She still didn't have any control over her elemental powers yet, and bursting into flame happened more often than not.

"That Vorsa." He answered, blue-striped shoulders shrugging. "Means fire in Gaucho's language." Such an obvious name.

As Ophelia recited the bullet points of the Invasion, Gaucho's darkened stare focused attentively, and his ears drew forward with her words. That Midas hadn't created an army was not surprising ... for all of his battle prowess and leadership, Midas too often saw the best in others. At least, when he wasn't created enemies out of shadows, as he had with the Basin. Sighing, the dun shook his head ever so slightly as Ophelia mentioned wasted forces. He thought it good that she at least acknowledged their military miscalculation, and was now even more content with his decision to obey her request, and stay at home. Clearly the might of the sands was not required. Ophelia's leadership had done what the Basin failed to do previously - their last Invasion had been a whopping failure, regardless of how many of his brethren had been slaughtered. They had spread themselves too thin, and were sent home the losers on two fronts. At least Ophelia's insights had not made them make the same mistake again.

However as she mentioned leaving the Basin, Gaucho's antlered skull jerked upwards slightly, as if physically pulled by her words. Still, his lips remained sealed. The former Lady was clearly not finished. Confusion was clear on his face as Ophelia mentioned that her life had moved in a good direction, which meant she couldn't be a good leader. The two .. didn't seem mutually exclusive to Gaucho. Why could she not have both? Hearing that Deimos took her self-demotion poorly was not so surprising. Gaucho didn't know the Reaper well, but it seemed Ophelia had been a fount of expansion and growth within the Basin. Without her, surely things would change. And perhaps not for the better.

At her mention of her temper, Gaucho's dark lips parted slightly. He had witnessed Ophelia's temper on more than one occasion, and it amused him to think of it directed at the solemn Reaper. Why in Edgeeeee? Mara voiced in his mind. It was a thought Gaucho had as well ... Hadn't the entire invasion occurred because so many didn't want to be in the Edge? Because of the Goddess?

"Kahlua stay? Gaucho think they all want to be away from Edge. Because of what Goddess do?"

The dun might have been used by the Goddess, but even so he didn't feel any real sense of betrayal or revenge inside of himself. He had been a pawn - he didn't take her actions or control over him personally. Although, should the opportunity ever arise to pay her back for all the pain she inflicted and free-will that she stole from him, he would happily rise to the occasion.

I am… following my heart. Something I’ve never done before. It’s… new, and frightening. Please tell no one I said that…

The change in Ophelia softened Gaucho's expression as well, even though the content of her admission seemed so ... foreign to him. "Gaucho never do that." He offered, a secret of his own. By the tone of his voice, it was clear that it wasn't because he had opted not to follow his heart, but because the matter had never come up. Briefly his mind flickered to Sohalia, but then immediately to Ampere. Sohalia had forgiven him his transgressions, and then disappeared from his life. Ampere ... hated his actions, but never did she ask him to change. She mocked and screeched her out rage when he came upon Vorsa, but everything had been done too late. Similarly with his capture of Hotaru and Confutatis. Their anger together was always backwards facing, always dwelling on what had already come to pass. Who else but Ampere could have the sway over Gaucho, that someone had over Ophelia?

Is there anything I can do for you while I am here?

His lips fumbled and his gaze betrayed the hesitancy he felt. The word, stay bloomed in his mind and on his lips, but from where, Gaucho didn't know. He buried it, swallowing hard and shaking his head firmly no in response. Why ssssssssstay? Mara silently inquired, peering into the depths of his mind for a response. In it, she only found isolation. Gaucho was a mountain, both as a warrior and as a leader. Strong, regal, and impregnable. But, like a mountain, he was also alone. Ophelia was like a comet, one that circled by every so often gracing the darkness with shimmering light. His conscious mind would never ask her to stay - could never ask her to betray whatever happiness she seemed to have found. But deep down, some part of him clung to her brightness, for in her absence, the darkness was overwhelming.

waaat. I don't know where that came from.

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia watched the small little flame of feathers cooed, and she did not shy away from his excited burst. Instead, she smiled softly, listening to the stallion speak without looking. She was too enraptured by this smaller being. “Vorsa,” she repeated gently, inclining her head toward the babe. The word was apt for the little bird if not a little uncreative, but the simplicity was also quite beautiful. “My name is Ophelia, and I am pleased to meet you, Vorsa,” she said, treating the creature as an individual and not necessarily an extension of Gaucho.

The pale princess retold the recent events of her life – the important ones anyway. Well, Torleik was important, but she was not about to go displaying all of her affections publically. She knew better. Still, he seemed surprised when she explained that she had stepped down, his head jerking upward slightly as if he had just started paying attention. Phi did not take any offense. While she was eloquent and rather wordy with her conversation, he was not, and she mused that he most likely struggled with the speed and vocabulary of her daily speech.

Gaucho’s smile was rare, and she was pleased to have earned it when she mentioned her outburst. At the very least she felt less guilty about it now, and she nodded. However, he pointed out an irritation she had felt prior, and Ophelia grunted softly, shaking her head slowly. “Kahlua is staying,” she said slowly. “I thought that too. I am not sure if we were lied to or if Kahlua simply made a mistake. Either way, Archibald and Kaj are leading the Falls now, so the battle was not entirely… pointless,” she replied, scowling ever so slightly.

That he admitted he had never followed his heart – or at least felt that it was necessary, she frowned with empathy. Words did not need to be spoken for her to understand the confusion of the heart. For so long hers had been dead, frosted over, and only with the not-so-subtle budging of the large black stallion did it shatter in a clean way. Ophelia nodded and then asked if there was something she could do while she was in his land, her eyes open and soft as she patiently awaited his reply. The breeze, ever so gently, pried bloodied mane from her body as it drifted, and her attention never once wavered.

Yet he was silent, and she furrowed her brows. She turned her head to the side, the gesture innocent. “Did I offend you?” she asked quietly. “I did not mean to do so…” For once, she was not looking in his mind, oblivious to his mental inclinations and thoughts of her staying. Ophelia was naïve and broken, not understanding the infatuated stallions who had followed her throughout the years. All she remembered was her damaged heart as each walked away. She was unaware of his thoughts or feelings, and perhaps that was good.

If only his ‘stay’ had been spoken sooner. If time could go back.

If.

So many Ifs.

@[Gaucho]

THANKS KAY

Ascended Helovian

Gaucho's rugged blue-striped shoulders shrugged mildly as Ophelia explained - at least attempted to explain - the situation in the Edge and the Falls. He had not expected or needed any particular outcome - the Invasion had been one that the others saw as a necessity. For now, Gaucho was content to harbour his fire and his family on his bloody sands and remain distant. His meager aid - his gifts of metal and his distance and lack of interference - were given because Ophelia had asked. He expected nothing in return.

"No - not offend." He agreed, snapping out of the hazy depths of his mind to regard her with a sudden clarity. In his lack of emotion there was strength. Unlike so many, when Gaucho experienced such wells of emotions he either acted on them, or let them drift away. Only Ampere, and her incessant current had tugged on his heart for more than a thought or two. For now, the idea of the shining star that was Ophelia glistening over his blood-red sands had already dispersed into the back of his mind.

"Confutatis still here. When Gaucho take her, she not want her children to come ... many here think that ... sad." The obvious lack of concern in his voice was notable. He had offered her twins refuge on his island while their mother waited out her sentence. That she had refused him his hospitality was not his problem, nor the point of her capture. Still, with Ophelia leaving the Basin, perhaps her crimes against them mattered little. Or perhaps the red queen would welcome the opportunity to demonstrate the strength of her new home. "When Frostfall come, Throat will be paradise compared to rest of lands. Gaucho remove her then."