the Rift

you just drank from my eyes

Euphrates Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Hi! 
Anyone is welcome to this but just let me clarify the setting and his appearance a little more concretely since this post is meant to resemble Euphrate's coming to of consciousness. :)

Today the Flats are so blindingly bright (like so white there are barely shadows) and salt cakes the terrain inland. Undrinkable puddles highly concentrated with sodium litter the beach and form rivulets over the course of the tides. Euphrates lay coated in salt, breathing shallowly on the surf. He has just washed up to the Flats from the Isles (his old homeland). His body is slightly rippling, but clear as a puddle itself. (Think glass bottom boat view). If you touch him, his colors will ripple and if you're close  enough, you will be a reflection on his skin's surface (just like water).

EUPHRATES

Wayward dreaming.

Calloused wind on the body – ebbing ridges of sharp intangible picture. Glistening peaks writhe in their own salinity: writhe with smallish tantrum. A child. Forsaken, though destined.

A mere child drowned in his questions. His body lay gaping in the salt, invisible if it weren’t for the stirring of something on his gut – the mirrored reflection of sky peeling with such ripples. Thought. That was it.

He hungered there, breathing shallowly across the sky-mirror, sending gentle waves from his chest but these sounded with reality. He was water lying in water, a stagnant wave-face caught up in time and frozen with illusion. This was the reflection of arousal, a single flicker of disturbance that wound tight circles around the first. He thought of questions: the sinking pebble.

I’m alive?

No, no. I’m dead?

He battled with it for a while. Consciousness bled in and out like moisture on sea sand. This was coming to. This was waking from a dream deep and dark enough to cast a shadow over the eye forever. This was waking from the dead.

I should be dead.

And finally there was a statement: a clear image painted itself across his body, a crest of finality rushed into whitewater. The break. Yes the final realization of surf and shore. And with that break his body opened into sweat. His eyes closed to picture it. The death. The near-death. 

Do I remember?

Thoughts tricked with frustrating lethargy. He remembered the feeling. A soft, heavy, and black concussion from behind. A fight, perhaps. But then his eyes saw and felt drowning. His body fed to the swallowing. And then it was the back of his eyelids. 

Now, the sallow sun. Not afterlife. Not deliverance.

What was a world when it was born in peril? It was white. It was so bright that he could not manage to open his eyes, so bright that he feared everything outside his own body. When light is the thing making you run for dear life, your entire understanding of morality flips into something entirely alien. It makes you think that this light, this heaven, might just be hell. 

The intensity alter-eclipsed and burned right through the black of his dilated pupil, stung him right down to the darkest depths of his night-cloaked heart. It was violating.

Euphrates could only lay there writhing in the salted world. His skin puckered and pinched from the heat of it, from the swelling and bloat of the brine. There wasn't enough energy to vomit the residual slurry that rest in the catch of his throat. He could just sip the air and it's sharp texture, feel the cold water raise his skin even higher as it brushed against his ribs. His wings made their way over his eyes, to shield them from the light. 

A soft quake in his lips revealed one trivial word:  "help."

A RIVER IN A TIME OF DRYNESS, A HARBOR IN THE TEMPEST

Evaneska Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Shining light so bright where do you lead? To Heaven? To Hell? If I were to follow in your steps, bask in your blinding luminescence, will you guide me to a light after death? Say so and I will gladly follow thine's guidance. Deliver me to a higher ascension and I will sing my praise. Broken, battered, bruised - reprieve me of this life. Let me go to a land where I have naught to worry about the twisted, malevolent hands of fate. Please, I beg of thee, save me from this hollowed, cracking husk.

Even if I was to be brought back to Urd, to the depths of Hell, I would welcome this with gratitude. To the moon and back my heart would soar. Urd was a wicked place of corruption and death, but it was there I found relief. Ironic to find my first genuine kind soul in Hell's domain. Oh, Thantos. My master. If only I hadn't left your side. If I was stronger, if I could have fought for myself. You're probably dead because of me, refusing to leave until the bitter, bitter end.

"Help."

A simple four letter word made my ears press against my skull in weariness. Yes, help. We all needed help in these corrupt lands. But no. Wait. That voice, however faint, sounded ever so close. The harsh rays impaired my vision. “Is someone there?” My words dragged out hesitantly. Aye, if this was just the voices in my head playing torment on my mind once again I would surely look like a fool. Yet the way the voice had spoke felt and sounded real.

One, two, three steps in the voice's direction. I paused, hesitated. Who was I thinking I could help a stranger when I could not even help myself? Humpty Dumpty had a great fall yet I couldn't even begin to patch those wounds. I would simply get in the way - a burden rather than a being of hope.

My body quivered as I argued with myself. His blood was already on my hooves, could I live with another? Two more paces forward. But at the same time I brought disaster to those around me. One pace back. The horses of my old herd, the residents of Urd.. Another step back.

That's when I heard the voice ring in my ears once again and, before my mind could protest it, my trembling legs carried me to the voice. Eyes squinted but it did little to block out the dangerous light. They burned from the intensity, especially as I opened them even more.

A cocoon laid before me: a pegasus curled in his own wings. Curiously, light reflected off of his hide like - Surprise caught my throat. Like.. water? Was this a mere optical illusion or was his body truly made of water? I recalled my parched throat, my cracking lips. The water around here was polluted with salt but maybe this - No! What was I even thinking.

“Sir?” Oh please be alive. I could not stand anymore death. “I am right in front of you. What assistance are you in need of?” There was no masking the fear in my voice. From left to right my weight shifted as I prayed the stallion still breathed. Not that praying had ever gotten me anywhere.

@Euphrates
ooc;// hope you don't mind me jumping in!

Unregistered
EUPHRATES

From the subtle reality of that single word, Euphrates woke. Bilge hurled from his gut and his breath shook into haggard choke, blown to rasp by the end of it. The cough furled wet and streaked with mucus, and even silt bounded forth from ballooning lungs. The excrement made a slick, green pool in the crunchy brine. All he could taste was salt.

Holy shit.

Withered eyes made out the shining puddle through disgusted slants. He moaned so softly that only threads of sound surfaced in the whine. His ripples settled into a steady chop, torn open by whitewater. His body darkened. He could hear the sound of his own waves, the miserable slap of water on water - the delirious pounding in his head.

His eyes moved wearily from the shiny vomit. With every breath his colors moved a little more methodically, his brain pounded a little more evenly. Pounded out some thoughts, some associations. He could see the sky was a little whiter than the land, which was also white. He could see his own legs and feathers were just a pale, animated gray. He was the darkest thing in sight. He looked like a fluorescent shadow, something two dimensional; pinned and wriggling like a sun-nailed specimen. 

With more time, his eyes could make out little beads of dried seawater crust forming on the face of his hooves. He toyed with movement, making gradual realizations of his body, waiting to come across the fierce pain of a dismembered limb or, hell, a newly grown one. His wings were the first things to unfold, and they did so one ligament at a time, each feather meticulously inspected by unthinking eyes. He wasn't surprised about fatigue or the soreness, but his sustainability. His means to survive that swallowing and turn up on some salt flat, vomited from the goddamned ocean, in one cohesive piece. It amazed him.

What the fuck happened to me?

Did it really matter?

But suddenly the sun faded over his eyes and something (the land?) sung some distant song with the voice of a virgin. He still couldn't see anything but himself and that mucus he purged between his forelegs in the salt-sand except that everything had grown more dark, more gray and eclipsed. The haze shook him, caused his heart to throb and his body to roar whitewater waves, almost like a shaken bottle of ocean. He'd heard about the sirens, but he didn't believe in them.

Until he saw her. Cloudy eyes fought the light and their stinging to find the source of the shadow beam, a winged head and moving, desperate lips. Words he could not process. They were too fast. Everything was still in the waking.

I can't understand you, the wind is too loud.

Now he wished his tongue hadn't dissolved in his own mouth, turned slack and silver still.

The ideal scenario would be that she was indeed a siren and she came to coax him, then kill him.

He inwardly prayed that she had a starving family and he wouldn't go to waste.

But the woman appeared frantic as the mists of time gave way to revealing her innocence. He made out a single word insistence... No that wasn't it. Assistance?

So you're not going to kill me?

Well fuck.

What the hell was she thinking, asking him for assistance? He could barely move; just shitted from the bowels of the ocean, shivering and quaking with all the symptoms of dehydration and anemia and every other terminal illness under the god forsaken sky that just wasn't nice enough to do him in. If there was enough time for him to think about this, he'd probably rouse the last few pulses of adrenaline that kept him beating and shout fuck you Jesus at the top of his lungs. One because why not, and two because he was probably Jesus anyway. (Water walked his ass into the flats with pure grace

Just like that.)

It was just that this beautiful woman was standing over him while he writhed in his own element with wings spewing from behind her ears, like some kind of bird-deer. 

God send his angels.

"Please just kill me," he whispered, "I'm begging you."

Unregistered

A spell of enchantment was cast. As if in a trance, my eyesight was consumed by the ripples of his body. With each move the water shifted. I glanced at the salted aqua that surrounded the flats. Could he be born from the ocean: a mixture of waves and swirling water? His arrival I had not witnessed, but the way the liquid caressed his torn and tattered body. Whether or not he was a son of the sea he had surely washed ashore.

It explained his condition well. As peaceful as water could be it was also a force of nature to be reckoned with: some currents seeking to tear the skin away from your body. It would push and shove mercilessly or even grab you by its jaws and drag you under. I could only imagine the pain. No.. Actually.. I couldn't. I had a fair amount of hardships under my belt - perhaps too many than I would like to recall. But none of them had ever consisted of near drowning (if a Son of the Water Gods could do such a thing).

At first I thought I misheard him. His voice was hoarse and quiet so it was very easy I was mistaken. However the more I watched him the more uncertainty watched over me. “Surely you cannot mean that, stallion blessed by water's touch.” But who was I to talk? How many times did I wish for it all to end? I recall pleading, begging, for my wish to be granted. My wish to simply.. cease to exist.

Harsh light attempted to burn my retinas but I continued to stare, this time struck by a different sight. My own face looked back at me. Hollow, sunken, solemn. This, this was me? When was the last time I had gazed at myself? I couldn't remember. The familiar rise of shame threatened to flood my chest as my small, deformed wings twitched. I wanted to look away yet I couldn't.

The mare who stared at me looked so lifeless and empty. Any spark of hope that once danced in her eyes had been brutally burned out. Staring at her - me - I felt disgust. A lost caused is what looked back at me. A burden, an existence that didn't matter. A pathetic and miserable being whose eyes haunted my soul.

Pathetic, pitiful, hopeless - yes, I was all of those and more. I knew exactly how the stallion felt. Part of me longed to be capable of granting his wish, to give him the freedom that he pleaded for. But I am a coward. Or perhaps merely selfish. The idea of having someones blood on my hooves made me feel sick. My own selfish thoughts refused to follow what the stallion's heart ached for as my own did.

“Please, I cannot kill you.” There wasn't much I could do. I was very aware of how useless I was in this situation. “Please.. don't ask for such a thing.” A lump in my throat caused my voice to crack as I bowed my head down.

“We need to get you to dry land.. and possibly somewhere the light is not so blinding. I cannot see your conditions when you're basked in such an ethereal aura.” Through the pain I looked around for something, anything. How did I expect to budge him a single inch let alone to safety? I cursed at my weak body. Even as I dragged a large piece of driftwood to the child of water I couldn't stop the voices that were chewing me apart, chiding my pitiful existence. It didn't help that I stumbled with the wood in my mouth, the piece large and heavy. It had to be to carry a stallion of his size.

With slow, cautious movements I pushed the large board closer to him as to not appear as a threat. “I have a piece of driftwood.. If you would let me, I will slide it underneath you. I don't know how much good it will do, but..” I have no other ideas, she silently interjected, “I may be able to pull you.”

@Euphrates

Unregistered
EUPHRATES

He couldn't understand why death wasn't negotiable. In what other ungodly place could life be so reconcilable? It wasn't his perspective, or the unfortunate angle of his eyes in the slant ray of the light beam of truth or anything. This wasn't some god awful swell of terrible luck that had ruled against him in every aspect of his life - he'd be lying to himself with modest optimism then. This life was supposed to be an eternal nightmare for him: not the slim odd of a thousand accidental ricochets, where life ended up apologizing for the bullets - no, this was a series of straight shots, aimed left-on for his heart. 

How haven't they killed me?

It was purely a torture, to live.

When he rolled his cloudy, slurring gaze back to the dim silhouette of his unbeknownst savior, he already knew, and held with great, ever heavy reluctance that these breaths would not be his last. He could feel it in the way she saw through him like seldom could. She saw right down to the briny sand beneath his clear, flickering surface that there was a beating heart within him that she felt she owed empathy, compassion, and whatever other garbage these poor blessed daughters of the world could believe. He felt her sharp pupils swimming deeper and with every passing grain of time he wished he could be opaque, so dark, so treacherous. So perilous, that even the ocean receded.

But everyone wants to feel the warmth of soft shallow waves, intangibles, rolling from sight, from feel; they want security: the water-source of all life. They want the promise of a good body of water but not the truth of it. They want to wade in the umbilical fluids of company. They'd substitute anyone.

They all want the same nurturing.

"Please, I cannot kill you..."

Her voice could not completely penetrate him, but rushed through the cracks in his delusion. Begging was not a force of nature, it had to be reasoned with.

"Please... don't ask for such a thing..."

Euphrates was always too kind to demand, to force a knee-high tsunami on anyone's moral consciousness. But living was drowning, to him. Each breath was a deep gut-full of fear: the trauma that lingered somewhere, silently scouring for the moment his eyes closed, breaching when they opened. In these moments he couldn't tell if fear was still chasing him, or if it was simply the will to die.

His lips weakly parted, revealing surprising silence. "No really -" a coagulated cough broke free for a moment. "I've had enough, I want you to." His voice bled crisp lines into the air, the most certainty he'd possessed in a long time. This was the best he could do. The best he'd spoken in his entire life.

But her voice continued on, suggesting they find a place where the world was drier and darker. A place where they could reason with a drop of time. Euphrates scoured her voice, but she only spoke of better places - places he knew were temporary. He wanted permanent. He wanted to see and feel nothing for the rest of it. He wanted nothing more than anything.

When she mentioned finding a piece of driftwood to drag him with he could only shake his head, sending sharp-capped ripples over his face. He blinked twice at her. 

"Help me stand."

Unregistered

Wings folded against my ears. No.. Please. I did not want to hear this - could not hear this. I wanted to run far away: far from this stallion whom reminded me of myself. His hopeless soul crying out for mercy, his body destroyed by the Rift. Did I truly want someone to continue to live a life like this? No, not in the slightest. They deserved to be set free, but..

“I'm sorry, sir. I am selfish.” Living with bloodstained hooves would be near impossible. There wasn't a doubt his face would haunt me both day and night. Yet at the same time the hollow, sunken look he gave made me wish I wasn't such a selfish coward.

If I buried my head in the sand would I be able to shield myself from this view?

Legs buckled and threatened to collapse. My body swayed, my head spiraling in endless circles. Knots began to entangle my intestines more and more leaving me feeling sick to my stomach. I couldn't deal with this situation - I couldn't bare to see a replica of myself. There was always so many things I couldn't. However.. could I truly not or was it that I simply wouldn't?

Relief barely managed to lift any of the weight off of my chest as he requested to help him stand. Immediately I shifted my body closer to him, offering my assistance in any shape and form. All the while my gaze sought to look anywhere but at the stallion born from whirlpools and sea-foam.

“I am by your side.” Was that supposed to be reassuring? And if so who was I honestly trying to reassure? Him? Myself? Emotions were waging a war inside my conflicted mind. I wasn't sure how to feel anymore so I settled into the familiar notion of numbness spreading across my body. I tried to detach my body and soul as best as I could.

I focused on the situation at hand. All I had to do was help him stand, help him walk. Away from these lands that were obnoxiously light and made me feel ill. Surely even someone like me - who yet again proved their lack of worth - could accomplish this.. right?

@Euphrates