the Rift

[PRIVATE] 'cause we lost it all

Snö Posts: 155
Deceased atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: 4 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
ali

Living in the north for so long had its benefits, the main one being the thick winter coat that was so very warm. The fallback of living where she had for so long was that she'd been alone for so long. She was so used to being by herself that she was struggling with the idea of living in the Edge again, no matter how much her heart longed for the trees and the mist. Had Mauja longed for the Edge after he'd left? Did he struggle with the idea of living there again?

Her discomfort had been evident at the herd meeting when she'd stayed in the back and observed everyone. She wanted to move on with her life but it was turning out to be a lot more difficult than she had thought it would be. Before the meeting had completely dissolved she'd disappeared into the snow flurries, leaving little more than a trail of hoof prints behind her. She offered nothing to the herd, knew not what she could offer them because she didn't know what her place in the world was or what she wanted to do. She just knew that she had wanted to be back home.

The snow steadily became deeper the farther she moved from the heart of the Edge. It was only when she reached the destroyed wall that she finally stopped. Since crossing over it just a few days prior she'd wondered about how far it stretched. Who built it? What had knocked it down? Would it be rebuilt? She snorted softly then turned and began to walk along it because her curiosity had gotten the better of her.

"."

@[Mauja]
Snö
you're looking at an absolute zero
i'm not the devil but i won't be your hero
Image Credit
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
don't tell the gods I left a mess
I can't undo what has been done
let's run for cover

what if I'm the only hero left?
you better fire off your gun
once and forever

He was getting used to chasing ghosts.

He was less used to catching them.

It had been a kind of heart-stopping surprise to find Snö there, lurking on the outskirts of the meeting, the snow-coat she'd inherited from him blending well with the backdrop—and she hadn't said anything, done anything, offered anything up, and he'd been left wondering why she was back.

If she had known he ruled the Edge again. If.. if it mattered to her.

And he thought all those other thoughts, too. He wondered how she'd been, where she'd gone, how she'd handled Psyche's death (I should've been there for all that but I lost her, I lost her), what.. what she saw in his eyes each time he looked at her. Because, Roskuld had opened his eyes to something, and—and the idea that his own fear and failures stared out of him, at her, as if it was her fault—it scared him to the bones.

It had never, ever been what he'd wanted her to see, what he'd wanted her to feel, and.. he didn't have a clue. He had no idea what he'd been showing her all this while—if anything.

If his love for her ever shone through the fucking blizzard eating up his life.

So it was with his heart pounding, lithe and shallow, in his mouth that he left the meeting to follow a lonely trail into a lonely forest. Snow was beginning to claim the world, but he moved over it with ease, long tail trailing on the ground.

Where are you going, little bird?

But then he found her, by a wall that was so pale now that it could've been made out of ice—she was walking along it, and he wondered if she contemplated leaving.

Hadn't—gods, no, that was Kou he'd dragged back from those thoughts.

Kou, who had chided him from playing cat-and-mouse with Deimos' magic. Kou, who.. was so frustrated with him and his lack of care for himself. Kou, who was just as dead as Psyche, making Aviya and all her siblings just as motherless as Snö.

"I thought I saw you there," he said into the winter air, his voice like light and his breath like smoke; his ears had flicked forward as he tried to catch up properly simply by virtue of his longer legs.

And, gods, but that fear was eating holes in his gut, because he couldn't know—couldn't feel—what was in his eyes, could barely hear what was in his voice (all that warmth, all that warmth he kept trying to shove at her, loving her when she defied loving, and just hoping that one day it'd go through her thick, stupid skull that he always had, and always would, love her).

[ @[Snö] ]
lord, the demands you're making-
help the monster on two feet
walk him down the hall, repeat
and when he's strong enough to stand alone
you'll notice what big teeth . . .
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Snö Posts: 155
Deceased atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.2 hh :: 4 HP: 62 | Buff: NOVICE
ali

"I thought I saw you there."

Snö froze at the sound of his voice and, ever so slowly, she turned her head to look back at Mauja. She looked at his face, the horn atop his head, his mane, his hooves, his tail that dragged the ground, but she refused to meet his gaze. Too many times had she looked into his eyes only to see what she chalked up to fear, sadness, disappointment, and pain. She hadn't noticed it until Tamlin's birth, the first prince, the child that was born with magic, the child that was better than her in every way. She'd convinced herself that he was disappointed because she hadn't been blessed with magic. That she'd been born a princess instead of a prince.

It never occurred to her that the disappointment that she'd thought she'd seen in her father's eyes had been because of the way she acted out to get his attention. Or that her jealousy had caused him pain, and her anger had caused his sadness.

...or maybe she did think about it and knew it was her fault. Maybe she just denied to herself that it was all her fault.

The pale, icy mare stood perfectly still as Mauja closed the distance between them, but she still refused to meet his gaze. Instead she looked to the wall, her eyes following it as it disappeared into snowdrifts. "How far does it go?" She asked, because it was a safe thing to talk about. It was mundane and easy and so, so safe. Safe as good, wasn't it? It wouldn't lead to them fighting, to her getting angry, to her screaming and saying every hurtful thing that she could in an attempt to lessen her own pain, to one of them running away again...

"I was going to follow it to see." She murmured as she stood there staring at it. "But..." Her voice trailed and she shifted her weight, unsure of what else to say.

"."

@[Mauja]
Snö
you're looking at an absolute zero
i'm not the devil but i won't be your hero
Image Credit
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
[ I hope you don't mind me dragging this back to life! ]

If he hadn't known her better—

Fuck that. He didn't know her at all.

If he didn't think she always acted like a sassy, prickly bitch, he would've said she looked ashamed, or guilty. It was the way she stood, waiting—the way she looked at everything but his eyes. Her gaze roamed, from one tree to another, from his horn to his feet and back again. He saw it, the small movements, and he never felt their gazes lock. So all in all—something was up. Something was wrong. Something was weird and it wound the dark fear in his gut tighter until he felt nauseous with it, a tremble in the back of his throat (in his heart).

Finally her eyes settled on something in the distance. Perhaps it was the serpentine coil of the wall. Perhaps it was ghosts, or memory, hope and dreams.

What do you hope for, Snö? What do you dream of?

She spoke, then fell silent. Shifted; uneasy. He had a moment's cruel craving to simply stare at her in pointed silence until she finished the sentence, locked in a crucible forged from his focus, but it was just that—cruel. She was his child, godsake. If there was anyone in the world he should have kindness for, it was her.

"It goes all the way," he said, softly, stepping slightly past her to press his dark nose against its flat, smooth surface. "All the way around the hearts and minds of those who claimed to be free or prejudice." He couldn't help the bitter edge creeping into his voice, the dark twinge in his heart, the first kindling of rage starting to burn deep in the pits of his mind.

"For all my stupidity, I still think I was the lesser of the two evils that were Mirage and I."

lord, the demands you're making-
help the monster on two feet
walk him down the hall, repeat
and when he's strong enough to stand alone
you'll notice what big teeth . . .
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here