the Rift

[OPEN] but if you close your eyes

Evangeline the Pure Posts: 199
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 10
Tallis :: Common Orange Dragon :: Fire Breath & Toxic Breath ali

With you by my side I can do anything
When we swing, babe, we hang past right and wrong

"Tallis..." Evangeline's voice was strained she she spoke the dragon's name. For some time she'd felt the telltale signs on her impending labor, though she had hoped that it would hold off long enough for her to find Thor. 'Eva?' She looked up when she heard the dragon's voice within her mind and she met his dark, worried gaze. 'Baby?' The mare nodded her head and the dragon shifted nervously. "Gather firewood." She instructed. "We need a fire. Its cold... I need warmth." Her foal could not be born into the snow with no other source of warmth besides its dam's body. "Hurry."

As Tallis disappeared into the woods she began clearing away a place for Tallis to build the fire that she requested. Thankfully the snow wasn't as thick in the area she'd ended up in, but she still hated that she was birthing her foal in the dead of winter. "Pile them there." She said, nodding her head to the bare patch of earth she'd uncovered. Tallis deposited the sticks, set them on fire, then disappeared once more. Evangeline groaned as she lowered her bulky body to the ground and stared at the fire, wishing that it was bigger and brighter; a beacon that would bring Thor to her when she needed him most.

Tallis continued his trips back and forth from the fire into the forest until Eva stopped him. "Find Thor!" She gasped to the dragon. "Quick! Make him hurry, burn him again if you have to. I need him..." Anyone who said that labor and birth got easier over time was lying and Evangeline would whole-heartedly argue the matter with them. "Hurry!" She mentally projected to the dragon as he flew off to find Thor.

-gross birth stuff goes here-

Evangeline stood tired and sweaty looking down at the two small foals that lay shivering on the ground. Two. Two. The orange mare had suspected, but hadn't said a word to Thor. She nosed them closer to the fire, desperate to get them warm and not let them freeze. She moved from one foal to the other, cleaning their faces, the soft downy feathers that clung to their necks, and their misshapen wings. "Two." A tired smile spread across her face as she laid down beside them, using her body along with the fire to keep them warm.

@[Thor]
@[Uriel]
Thor the Gentleheart && Evangeline the Pure

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
The winter had come -gusting over both land and sea alike- with a vengeance that was unmatched in prior years. It was not unlike myself to seek out the comfort of the wood and the towering pines in order to protect myself from the frigid breeze, but there was a certain discomfort in lingering anywhere without Evangeline at my side. She’d gone away sometime before and I had busied myself by tending to Sabine. I’d made numerous nests and niches in which to shield the Zephyr from the ice and the snow, but she would not budge from my shoulders nor would she leave my side for more than a moment. It was nice to have someone always at my side, but my anxiety had groomed me to expect the worst when it came to nurturing a mare, whom I loved, so heavy with child. Somehow Sabine understood my affection for the mare and had grown quite fond of the Pure herself. Some days she would pick and groom the tangles from Eva’s mane and tail and others she was content to stare openly at the mare from her perch (otherwise known as my back).

But not today.

Eva had gone away, most likely to a warmer haven, in order to nurture the familiar pains of labor. They had come from time to time, plaguing her and disabling her from mobility. I pitied her greatly for what she was about to endure, but I could not ask to humiliate her by hovering over her shoulder at every moment of every day. Yes, I’d been a father once before and I knew how important my presence would be when the foal came… but a woman in pain was not a reasonable one, and thus I’d resolved to allow her the space that her minimal patience would allow. I knew that Tallis would come to me –wherever it might be- when the time came. However, I feared that time… I feared what would happen to the beautiful creature that now carried my second foal (hopefully son). I couldn’t imagine a life without her… and should the birthing of out child cause such loss, I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself.

Though, I liked to think that Eva was stronger than my worries and my fears. I liked to think that the task of bringing life into this world was something she had mastered in her youth. But I was also a male. I was a male who often made a mockery of labor and all that it entailed. I only hoped that it would not make me again ignorant to rearing another child.

As the snow began to fall, a certain feeling of uncertainty made my skin crawl. It was a mere notion that something was amiss that made me look up into the canopy, watching as the grey clouds grew dark and unforgiving. Yet as the minutes stretched into a length soon indistinguishable, a flash or perhaps just a flutter of red-orange caught my eye. I turned toward it with a soft scowl, confused by the image, before understanding suddenly dawned on me. Tallis. He was like a beacon or a ray of light pressed against the ocean on a dark and stormy night. He had come to guide me home to Evangeline.

I didn’t need words, or warnings rather, to understand the red flag the dragon raised. It was time. The birth of my second child was upon me and I feared that I would not be there to witness it.

With Sabine securely seated between my shoulder blades and a healthy amount of hair gathered between both beak and claws, I gathered myself for the hearty, headlong spring ahead. It had been too long since I’d opened such a stride before this land, but with snow and ice threatening to unseat me, I dug in for the haul. I wouldn’t let the elements keep me from her side.

When at last the dragon had brought me to the bitter image of a chestnut mare in wild and unimaginable pain, I stopped… It was not graceful or kind, but more so a shuddering hefty ton of horse that threatened to break legs upon the ice in which he ran. She was stationed not far from the sea and with the rushing of the waves her cries were muffled at best. “I’m here! I’m here… Evangeline, I’m here,” I soothed between her moans. I didn’t know how to help or what to do so I stood above her, attempting to guard her from the winds until the foal was… here.

-Insert whatever your heart desires-

When the second foal came, I gasped. A Father to not only two but THREE… I was blissfully happy, delightfully confused and rightfully proud. As Eva attempted to keep them warm by the fire that Tallis had drawn, I dropped to my knees. It was not an easy feat and Sabine made her protests clear, but I would not let my children freeze in the frigid winds of FrostFall. As carefully as a man of my size could muster, I circled myself around them, a protective barrier from the ice and snow. I bent my face to each child in turn, breathing them in one by one, and smiled. “I am a blessed man this day Eva. A blessed man indeed,” I whispered. I didn’t care about the feathers or the frail creatures that the Gods had given me. I would protect and serve their needs until the end of time. I would offer myself both body and soul to their cause. I would never fail them as I did Essetia.

I would never leave their side.
Thor
&
Evangeline
maybe we found love right where we are
credits :: table

@[Evangeline]

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Uriel Posts: 12
Outcast
Colt :: Hybrid :: 16.1 HH :: 1 Year (Frostfall)
Linds
Uriel & Sariel

The frigid breeze felt like pin pricks against the skin and it made the newborn shiver and quake. He could not register the sensation as pain, but knew in such a primitive way that it was. This new world was all-consuming and there was too much sensation… From his first breath, a bitter cold that dried his tongue, to his first squeal… everything was a new and frightening sensation.

He longed for the warmth of the womb and the feel of his sister against his chest. He wanted to return to the comfort from which he’d come and never again feel this strange earth beneath his belly. It was cold, too cold for him to properly adjust to, and loud! There was so much sound here! When the little King tried to flutter his lashes against the blinding of so much white -but what is white to a newborn child?- he could not seem to hold them open long enough to truly see.

When at last the warmth of his sister came to lay beside him, he struggled to press himself into her side. He wanted, no needed, to be near her. A sharp and perhaps shaky cry shuddered from his lips once more and this time he was taken by the sound of it. It startled him! The pitch of his own voice! But what was it? Where had it come from within? The little King could not decipher such an anomaly and instead nestled only closer to the filly with which he’d shared a womb. He did not understand the concept of their sibling bond, but only that a tie between them existed.

But then! Low and behold another scent more familiar to him than any other nosed closer. This bond was unbreakable –he could feel it in his chest- a certain longing to be near the soft touches of his mother. However, close was not close enough and when she had left him, a terrible ache began in his heart and a terrified tremor shook his bones. What was this feeling?

For a moment the little King stopped in his searching, waiting for his mother’s return, and when she came back he pressed his face against her own. Warmth. There was warmth there and he wanted it so badly, but the caretaker had other ideas and instead rolled him through the cold snow toward a light that wavered against all the white hills. It was then that his skin began to heed the heat of the flames and his trembling became less severe, even if the wind still kissed his backside. How long would this comfort last?

As he lay, working hard to fight the fatigue and the weariness that plagued him, another loud sound –or rather a series of them- unsettled his descent into sleep. The pitches were low at first and then high, hovering above he and his sister like screeching crows. The little King fought against the cold ground in order to again find himself at his sister’s side, but was stopped in these futile attempts by a flurry of movement that caused even the ground itself to shake. When finally he was able to look upon the white world without squinting, Uriel found that the winds had stopped.

He turned his small head to survey all that surrounded him -though certainly not understanding it- and found another set of eyes peering back at him. A monster?! A terrifying beast so much larger than he! His mother! Where was his mother? Her scent was not near! Who would protect he and his sister from this creature?! The white world was too strange for the little King to understand and he wasn’t sure he even liked it here yet. More than anything he wanted to take his sister back to where they’d come from… They were not meant for this place.

IMAGE CREDITS!

@[Evangeline] @[Sariel]

Sariel Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Uriel & Sariel

The bitterly cold wind bit at the newborn filly's skin and she could do little more than lay there on the equally frigid ground shivering. Each breath she took was painful, the icy air felt like it was burning from her throat all the way down into her tiny chest and she wanted to fight against it. She held her breath, but after a few seconds she was gasping in great gulps of cold air that made her cough and choke. As her coughing eased she opened her eyes and squinted against the brightness that the new world she was forced into subjected her to. A pitiful whine slipped past her lips and she began to search for her brother.

Her amber eyes widened as a large orange creature approached her, but it moved past her and as it did she turned her head and watched as the small body of her brother was rolled away. She whined again and in a desperate attempt to follow after and fell. Her long legs kicked up snow and she squealed in protest and desperation. Don't leave me! Don't take him away! Come back!

She struggled to follow after her brother, but her attempts only made her tired and discouraged. Her head dropped to the snowy ground and she watched her brother as he was situated by the glowing thing. What about her? Did they forget about her? Didn't they want her? Her eyes drifted closed and she shivered violently as the wind beat relentlessly against her tiny body. They had forgotten her.

Time was a concept that was very foreign to the newborn and what had taken her mother a matter of a few minutes felt like an eternity longer. She couldn't decipher the sound of hoof steps in the snow and was unaware that her mother stood over her until she felt the muzzle against her side. Then she was being rolled just like her brother had. She grunted and whimpered as her body was rolled then it stopped and she could feel warmth. When her eyes opened she could see how close she was to the glowing thing and her brother and her heart leaped with joy. There you are! Don't go away again!

The filly began scooting, desperate to be pressed against her brother's side even though her mother laid beside them and offered greater warmth. Her brother was more familiar, more comforting, everything she wanted. Even as another, larger creature came and touched them and laid beside them offering warmth she refused to go to them. She was relentless in her attempt to be near her brother and wouldn't stop until she was curled against his chest, her face hidden in the downy feathers attached to his shoulder.

"."

Credits

Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen
Zsoka
I live the death of the young and the free

The hunter is running and he is hungry. He runs now to the World's Edge, the land of the she-bitch of a Goddess that has cursed him and left him, and he is ready to kill.

There is nothing left in Knox's soul but darkness. He has lost all sense of apathy and replaced it with passion to kill. He is constantly dissatisfied, seeking more, seeking pain of the other and hurt in himself. All he bears is the mark on his neck and the tattered wings, splayed on his back. Four capes of feathers in white, gold, and red, hiding his shame in destruction.

Dovev has not yet gotten all he wants. He has not yet fed his hunger to the point where he is sated; the fast is still not yet fully broken. And so he thunders through the cold and the dark, his heart set on the center of a foreign herdland: to find and kill its conquerer kings.

He has met them both, in some shape or form, and he wants them now crushed beneath his hoof. He is not of the mind to consider the risk. There is a part of him that understands the likelihood of death, and a larger part still that doesn't give a damn. Should he die in such a way, angel wings on his shoulders and blood on his lips, is it not more grand than to sputter out the way this colt, this pitiful progeny, surely will on his own?

Yes, there is murder on the mind, but not just the murder of another, anymore.

Knox tries to rationalize: You, too, will die. But hope is lost and Dovev's mind crumbling in madness.
Am I not already dead?

And what is the body of another, the limitations of a life not fully one's own? Is it heaven to simply walk the earth again as a memory, or is it Hell to walk it in another's hooves? Dovev cannot decide. Dovev doesn't care to. And so he barrels through woods and hills, following the smoke and the light of a distant fire.

It is only when the hunter draws close that he sees the one thing that can stop him now: there, lying on the frozen ground with two proud parents looming over them, are the newborn children of Thor and Evangeline.

The hunter knows only this, thinks only this: What have I done?

His heart sinks and the torrent of his approach ceases. He stands, cloaked and still. The wings settle against his side and the last of the blood on his face halts its dripping. The fire is warm and at its side is a warmth, too: the warmth of life too precious to defile.

Dovev tries to step forward, but anguish reaches out to thwart him. THIS, the hunter cries in his mind, THIS YOU CANNOT HAVE. THIS YOU CANNOT HURT.

The murderer has no choice but to obey. Beneath the power of such a command, his steel grey hide falls away. But it is not Knox whose figure reveals itself beneath that shadow. Knox cries at the horror of his acts but he cannot bring himself to stand and face them, not now and perhaps not ever. His form shrinks as he retreats into total innocence. Trapped beneath four weighted wings and the sign of murders two, Zsoka stands alone.

Manhattan is gone. The hunter himself, his devotion and his company, everything he has defined himself by, is gone. The young is all that remains, the only thing left even as he falls under the sudden weight of Muriel's leaden wings. Covered in their cracked blood, his lips red and his neck wound a painted gash on the small colt's neck, he struggles to remove himself from the weight of the wings in the shadows of the trees. They are hidden and will stay that way, but he is to emerge.

The cold affects Zsoka's thin body the same way it tugs at the newborns before him. He bites back at the itch of the magic cloak that covers him before shrugging it off and stepping towards the warmth of the fire. This, he must grow close to. The bridle hangs off of his features and creates in him an image of foolishness--the blood, a picture of abandonment. For who is to find a child in a state such as his, and think he is well cared for?

No, Zsoka does not seem that way at all. And it is fitting, perhaps, for he has never known a mother and his father's memory has even started to fade after so many years of death. Death he doesn't know he has gone through--death he is ignorant of.

Without fear, he hobbles out from the dark shadows and moves towards the fire. He lays his buckskin body beside its warmth, looking up at the large stallion and his mate with deep, black doe eyes. Exhaustion and the weakness in his foreleg has led him here, to rest upon the earth in the snow. It is not in him to walk farther.

And though he is weak and his heart is tired from murders he does not know, he still extends his thin, wavering neck--reaching out to touch the feathered twins and find in them an invitation to their fire.

""
Image Credit

Evangeline the Pure Posts: 199
Outcast
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 :: 10
Tallis :: Common Orange Dragon :: Fire Breath & Toxic Breath ali

With you by my side I can do anything
When we swing, babe, we hang past right and wrong

There was little time for Evangeline to bask in the glow that came with motherhood. There was too much at stake for her stand and stare down at the two little helpless beings that she had brought into the world and there was no time for her to rest. "Tallis, gather more firewood. Keep it stoked." She instructed the dragon. "Thor..." Her voice trailed as she watched him with their children. She didn't think her heart could feel anymore full than it did, but the look on Thor's face as he greeted their twins made her heart feel like it would burst. For so long she had felt empty and incomplete (and denied it), but then Thor burst into her life without invitation and gave her everything she'd denied ever wanting again. She didn't think he could truly understand just how much she loved him for that.

Movement drew her attention away from Thor and her children and she watched as another young foal stumbled out of the trees. She frowned and watched as the young boy positioned himself by the fire and reached his thin neck out to touch her children. Was that blood on him? "Thor..." She murmured his name again, her eyes not leaving the foal. "There's blood on him." She gathered her strength and pushed herself up so she was standing and she began to scan the treeline. The only thing that she could think was that if the child was bloody there had to be a predator nearby.

The blissful moment was lost as she began nudging the twins to try and get them to rise from the ground. "Come on.." She whispered to them as she nudged and prodded. The girl was reluctant to move away from her brother, but Evangeline's constant nudging made her move and after several attempts she stood on thin, shaking legs. "Tallis!" The orange mare mentally called for her dragon as her daughter began pushing her muzzle against her side in search of milk. 'Eva?' "There's another foal here full of blood. Look for any threats." As her daughter drank her emerald eyes drifted back to the black foal. "Come here, child."

@[Thor] @[Uriel] @[Knox]
Thor the Gentleheart && Evangeline the Pure

Thor the Gentle Heart Posts: 379
Hidden Account atk: 4 | def: 7 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 11 (TallSun) HP: 64.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Sabine :: Common Zephyr :: Roc Linds
I’d never seen anything so strangely beautiful as my children. They were nothing like I’d expected and obviously unanticipated. I had assumed that Eva would carry only one child to term and that her breeding and size had contributed to such fullness. Little did I know that I would be gazing down at two foals instead of one; I was still recovering from the shock of it. After all, how many twins had I myself encountered in Helovia before now? However, that wasn’t all that moved me to silence… There upon their shoulders perched the beginning of what have been wings. Somehow the sight of them broke my heart more than losing my own… Somehow I knew that, deep down, it was my fault that they were not whole. I was the reason they were not absolutely glorious.

Tears threatened to overwhelm me at such thoughts, because in my heart I knew they were nothing short of spectacular. How dare I think otherwise? The snow and the ice at my back made me shiver just slightly and I couldn’t determine if I was truly cold or just ashamed. I hadn’t dealt well with the loss of Essetia and as it appeared, becoming a father again was just as nerve wracking. While I studied my new children, wondering just how magnificent they would become in both appearance and personality, Eva was quick to root herself once more into the daunting role that was motherhood.

With both of us situated around the twins, we created a fleshy barrier to guard against the howling winds of winter. But I knew we wouldn’t have long before the cold finally did away with those first baby breaths and allowed only those last baby cries. We had to get them to shelter. However, before I could do much of anything, I was startled by the prickling of my own skin. It wasn’t until I turned around, twisting my neck over my back as far as it would possibly allow, that I noticed what looked to be a young colt approaching the fire. Yet, there was something… off about him. He was gangly and thin, as if he’d lived this long without either mother or father, and the straps he wore around his face were slack as if they were two sizes too big.

Evangeline was none too happy with his arrival and her urgent prodding did little to steer my attentions her way. Instead, I rose to my feet and stepped away from my newborn foals in order to shake the snow from my coat. I was wary, as any new father might be, and should the colt attempt anything rash, I would be the first to chase him from the World’s Edge no matter how ragged his state. Besides, with Tallis off searching for fire wood, we didn’t have any alternatives. I only hoped that if anything transpired that Eva would be able to get the twins to safety on her own.

But when the mare’s patience grew paper thin and she finally admitted to seeing blood upon the boy’s green straps, I stepped toward the foals again, my eyes never leaving the colt to chance. Even as he perched alongside the fire, his muzzle extended toward my children… even with the traces of blood that appear almost native to his likelihood, I did not feel anxious. “Eva,” I soothed as the mare pushed for the twins to stand. I knew they would come to their feet in their own time, but until then it seemed best to figure out who the strange youngling was. “Eva, stop. Calm down, I’ll take care of it.” I assured her before the odd colt could rise to her demands. Like the protective father I was, I bent my head toward the malnourished youth and acted as a wall between him and my own son. “What’s happened to you?
Thor
&
Evangeline
maybe we found love right where we are
credits :: table

Lines by Tamme! Paddeh Coloring

Uriel Posts: 12
Outcast
Colt :: Hybrid :: 16.1 HH :: 1 Year (Frostfall)
Linds
Uriel & Sariel

He is still quite taken aback by this world of white and cold and snow. But it feels much more bearable with Sariel, the little Queen, at his side. Her nose is pressed into his shoulder and the soft feathering of her mane tickles his chin- he is at peace. This is as it was always meant to be; he cannot remember a time without the filly at his side and there is a sense of longing to rise and shield her from the unnatural world into which they were thrust. He knows no words in which describe the sensation, but only that it thrums endlessly through his veins. He does not yet care for those he will one day call “mother” and “father”, but only that the other half of his entire being is now alongside him.

When he opens his eyes to the new universe with no name or words in which to refer to it by, he finds that he and the Queen are not alone. But this is not the one he had desired only moments ago, this is someone entirely different. A jester maybe? Certainly not a Knight. The little King watches as he pushes that ugly face toward his Queen and before he can stop himself, an infuriated shriek trembles from his thin, infant lips. With their mother pushing to encourage Sariel to rise, the little King begins to throw his legs about, hoping to mimic the movement. He wants to stand and face the intruder who thinks it wise to interfere with his sister and the half of his heart that is too weak to defend herself.

Again the king squeals and something in the force of such a sound pushes him to rise, albeit slowly, to the tiny hooves that would soon grace the soils of the Edge. One day he would run and play and fight and lead, even if that day was not today. He would learn and advise, protect and make mistakes, love and hate, lie and tell the truth… Everything was just at his feet, even if Uriel didn’t know that quite yet. But one day, yes, one day he would.

When at last the colt is steadied upon stiff and lanky legs, he turns again to the intruder with eyes made of the sky. For a long time he simply stares, even if he must do so around the massive shape of his father. If there were words in which he could speak, he would speak them… he would warn this other away from his Queen and make sure he never returned. With a snort, Uriel turns away from both father and stranger in order to seek out his twin. It is a struggle of sorts, as if walking upon stilts, before he finally reaches her side in order to run his weak muzzle along her shoulder. There is a definite limp in his stride and he fights the smaller, front leg for control and the ability to stay upright, but the pain is something he cannot ignore.

Instead of lingering by his sister’s side, he wanders closer to the figure of his mother in hopes of steadying himself against her warm side. He knows he must stay erect, but his legs are weak and his joints so sore… He hates to admit this weakness, but there is nothing else the little King can do.

IMAGE CREDITS!

@[Evangeline] @[Knox]

Sariel Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Uriel & Sariel

The filly had been so focused on getting closer to her brother, that she had not been aware that another had joined them by the fire. She had kept her face pressed against Uriel's shoulder and her eyes closed as she tried to soak up the meager warmth that he offered that she did not see the newcomer that reached his neck out to her. Even as Uriel shrieked and her mother pushed at her she tried her hardest to remain tucked beneath her brother's neck. She squealed her own protest, her body going rigid because she didn't want to move. But her mother was relentless and Sariel was soon forced away from Uriel and that made her stumble to her hooves.

Somewhere beside her, her brother rose to stand and when she turned her head to look at him he was facing another foal. Her ears fell back and she stepped forward then stopped when she felt a pain in her stomach. Instinct made her turn from her brother and look to the orange mare and Sariel drifted closer to her on shaking legs. Her small muzzle bumped along her mother's side as she sought out something that she wasn't quite sure of. Whatever it was she was sure that it would make the hurt in her stomach go away.

Her head dipped beneath her mother's stomach and she began nursing. She was hesitant at first, but as the warm milk filled her belly she became more eager. The world around her, the icy wind, the snow beneath her hooves, the crackling fire, mother, father, brother, stranger were all forgotten as she filled her tiny belly. Well, they were forgotten until the touch of her brother's muzzle against her shoulder shocked her back into reality. Milk dripped from her muzzle as she looked to Uriel, her amber eyes wide as she wondered if he wanted to drink. She began to step aside to allow him to, but he moved away to their mother's other side, so she followed slowly after him. She poked her head around their mother's chest and looked at him as he stood beside her.

A tiny, warbling whinny slipped past her lips as she moved toward her brother. She pressed her muzzle against his neck and began pushing against him, trying to turn him into their mother's side and direct him toward the milk that had filled her belly and made her feel better.

"."

Credits

Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen
Zsoka
I live the death of the young and the free

The young is surprised--but should he be? It appears that now, now that he has been given the gift of the light of day once again, he is only to be faced with rejection. The massive mare in the wood with her wicked questions and now this one, this mother, who looks upon him with disgust.

Zsoka does not feel shame, for he cannot. In his heart, Knox descends deeper into it than the young colt can ever understand. He feels hot and cold all at once, he is shivering, and he is looking up now at that mare still filled out with the fat of pregnancy. His black eyes are begging: he wants to know why she has left him before he has even been able to speak. His thoughts echo his descendants, their meaning warped by age and innocence.

The young knows only this, thinks only this: What have I done?

He turns his head low, letting it strike the earth--as the mother rolled her children, he rolls himself to his side and lays there, his legs sprawled in the spirit of cold and his face flickering orange by the light of the fire. The ancestral bridle traces lines in the melting white. Is this, then, hope lost? Zsoka feel exhaustion he doesn't understand, exhaustion from murders he did not commit, murders he is stained by.

The young's ears fill with the screeching and screaming of the filly and colt. He watches with a dejected sort of frown as they move away from him. He notices the colt bears a stumble, one not unlike his own. "I am hurt too," he whispers, perhaps too quietly for any to hear, too distant from question for any to understand. I too, am hurt.

Above him stands that monstrously massive beast and Zsoka knows that from him a question has come. He knows he must answer it, he knows he cannot delay. He is covered in blood at the site of a birth, and the elder minds living within him inform him that he is under the attack of suspicion, let loose by his sudden appearance.

But he doesn't know the answer. He shifts, half-sitting, weak right fore shaking, threatening to tumble him back down to the earth. His black eyes find the deep brown ones of the massive stallion before him. The young has lost his bitter spunk and his ill-behaved charm. He is remembering, he thinks, that he once died.

The question rings: What has happened to you?
The answer, whispered, fearful: "I don't know."

""
[[@[Evangeline], @[Thor], @[Sariel], @[Uriel] ;-;]]
Image Credit