the Rift

Signs of Change

Merakerr Posts: 24
World's Edge Philosopher
Mare :: Other :: 3 ft :: 6
Kachie
The snow had melted. This was not strange in and of itself, the young gryphon knew. With the warmest turnings of the moon came the gradual retreat of even the most stubborn snow drifts. Yet she was fairly certain that the gradually softening of the tundra was not normal. Some was certainly expected for the grasses to grow and life to flourish... but this seemed a bit much.

Just how much it was warming was impossible for her to know, since her body was forever wrapped in the chill of winter, the cold touch extending out from her beyond even the reach of her longest pinion feathers. It affected the tundra, giving solidity to that which lay beneath her paws and talons. So much so that she rarely lingered in one place too long, lest her never-ending winter throw off the rhythms of the seasons too far and keep the grasses from growing.

Yet for now she was settled, carefully perched in the tangled branches of a stunted tree, dead but too stubborn to let go of the ground. This was a favored spot of hers, and she'd cultivated it over the winter and into spring. Using careful snips of her beak to prune away prodding twigs, employing greener limbs from evergreens away in the south to weave an immense nest into the windblown head of this tree. Now she was certain that her presence would not destroy her perch here.

But still she pondered the situation of the tundra, laying in her nest with golden eyes focused away to the south. Wondering. What was going on in the lands of the horses? Had something terrible happened yet again? It was tempting to discover what.

Ink Posts: 121
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.2 hh :: 6 years
Blu
INK
I don't see the world unless I see it in

There is something different here. Well, no, not here. I Have been here since the passing of winter into spring, fled on the same heels as everyone else from wretched Isilme. So it's better to say that there is something different now.

Perhaps I'm just unused to the seasons in this world, what is it, Helovia. It is a place that seems to worship the sun above all else, so perhaps heat is prevalent here. Strange still that they would have so many cold climate areas to wander, such as this snow dusted tundra. Perhaps it's a rare treat from an unusually cold frostfall, otherwise Helovia is typically bare of white fluff and translucent rock. Perhaps.

It's more than the heat though, I realize. I feel, weak. That's really an understatement though. I've always felt weak. No one has certainly wasted time telling me I'm weak.

Does my tail drag more than normal? It feels oddly heavier. My ink seems less willing to flow from the tips, and my drawings are more likely to splatter. I've been so reclusive lately perhaps I'm just out of practice, having less need to force communication. All the same, it's strange.

I am stirred from my internal banter by the dropping of a pine needle on my backside. This would not be very unusual, except that I hadn't noticed very many trees in this flat area. In childish wonder I lift my head. I blink against the rather bright sun of the day. Through the fiery haze I catch the outline of a most unusual and often dangerous creature.

In an earlier time I would have startled more than I did. I cannot deny fear grips my heart, though more from surprise at the animal than worry for my life. I very much know she would have killed me long before that needle fell on my back - though I suppose even the most predatory of predators can be caught unawares.

My legs stiffen and my neck braces as I sink awkwardly onto my haunches. Like the scattering of bird wings in a disrupted flock so feels the racing of my pulse. I am a stronger Ink than I once was though. Disregard that I mentioned feeling weaker, this strength is an emotional one. Ever since meeting Roanne the Sentinel in the shape of a stag, a very odd meeting if ever there was one, I had come to be more respectful of those unlike myself. I figured I couldn't very well hate everyone for sneering at my differences if I so hastily did the same. You could say I turned into quite the forest-walker, pausing at every curling flower petal and twitching squirrel tail. I like to think I find an inner peace when walking through the hush of the woods. There's a natural calm to the world amidst an equally natural chaos. Peace comes normally, but I suppose so does violence, if the wolves and the eagles have anything to say about their torn corpses. I can't seem to find anything but the latter of both with my own kind. It's possibly the fact that I am different, a horse rather than a squirrel, that I do not see or understand their chaos and their violence. Maybe we just are only capable of seeing the worst in ourselves. It certainly feels that way.

I've gotten rather off track. This griffin must think I'm mental, sucked back like some fearful git that can't even get the nerve to complete fleeing. I never was fleeing though, just shying. I get myself back in order, though I have rescinded a step or two, still unsure of those talons and that beak. Still, she is beautiful. A soft slate gray of fur and feathers that nearly mesh with the tree limbs. I tilt my head, enthralled by this encounter. Tentative, I lift my muzzle towards her in equine greeting, blowing out warm air in a stream of condensation. From my tail I hope to craft one like her, but it feels more draining than I remember to paint.

Maybe I'm dehydrated.

Tag me only if starting a new thread.
Magic or force permitted any time, aside from death.

Cirrus Posts: 233
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1 :: 8 HP: 69 | Buff: SWIFT
Whit
Dearest parents,

It is a curious thing, your constant want to keep me within your gaze’s reach. I understand why you would want to, truly I do, for I am but small and fine, and it is easy for me to come in harm’s way – at least, this is what you keep telling me. What is harm, anyway? If I continued to stay by your side I would never find out. Surely the best way for me to learn what harm is, and how to stay out of its way, is to experience it, and gain some real motivation for staying out of its way? I love you, my dearest parents, truly I do, but I must live life in order to, well, live. Father, you always speak to me about your shenanigans that you got up to when you were but a colt no taller than I, why must I wait for your approval to go out and have an adventure? Surely you did not ask for permission every time you went gallivanting about your Cliffs? Mother, how old were you before you went a-wandering from your guardian’s side?

This is why I am not by your side, not right now, anyway. I am off, grunting against this oppressive heat, kicking my neat little heels up, leaving a trail of lifted dust behind me. I stretch my wings out, they are growing, and slowly getting stronger, I stretch and work them out every day like you tell me to father. If I run fast enough, sometimes the wind gathers beneath them and I can feel myself lift up! The first time it happened I was so surprised that I squealed, but then I started learning how to do it on purpose, and I think soon I will be able to fly with you! My coat is sky blue today, the same as it has been since the weather has been this boring hot climate! I feel no itching as the likeness of clouds wander across my coat, no foreboding emotions tell me a storm will cover the sky in a blanket of grey and wet. It is strange though, as I travel in this direction, (North, I think?) the temperature seems to drop. Not very much, everything is still so hot, but at least a little bit of relief washes over me.

Looking ahead I see a stallion, he is as black you are father, though he hosts no wings and no stripes to label him a warrior of your bloodline. How on earth could he be, with no wings anyway? He looks shiny, as if he has just been standing in a pool of water, though the water upon him look thicker, and really dark. My little body comes closer to him, and I tilt my tiara in an open display of curiosity. He seems to be looking up at something, so my eyes follow his, and widen in surprise. I am not too sure exactly what it is I see, but it does seem to have wings, so maybe it is a Pegasus of some kind? I snort a little bit, suddenly realising that the temperature under this particular tree was considerably cooler, cooler even than what I had observed before. So strange! Shaking my head slightly, I realise how silent I have been to these two, and I know that you always say I should introduce myself to new strangers, so a cherubic whinny leaves my maw and a smile bends my lips as in my sweet little innocent voice I practically sing.

“Hello! My name is Cirrus! It is very hot today isn’t it? But right here it is cool? Oh wow, that is a nice drawing sir! Could you do one of me?” I hadn’t quite learned the etiquettes of meeting and greeting and so I quickly tacked onto the end of my little speech; “What’s your names?”

I hope you aren’t mad at me, dear parents, maybe one day I will learn to follow your instructions a little better. Maybe.

Your loving daughter,
Cirrus.

as changing as unforgiving as the wind, as bitter and chilling as the cold, as warm and deadly as the heat

• I enjoy being tagged.

• please do not feel pressured into mirroring the length of any of my posts
    I write what I feel at the time
    and hope everyone else does the same c:

Poppy Posts: N/A
    Unregistered
    :: :: ::

It was too hot, too hot, and she hated how much the sun oppressed her, oppressed the plants. She kept to the shadows, under the wilting trees, against the cool stone. Occasionally she would shoot angry glares at the unforgiving sky, red eyes narrowed and furious, tail lashing angrily. She had seen weather like this, without rain or cloud or wind, she thought; but maybe she was wrong, and she had not, and this had actually been the weather forever and she was just remembering yesterday. The heat made it harder than usual for her to think, for her to create an idea of an image of a tree growing happily in front of her, great branches reaching for a stormy sky, drinking up the rain as it poured from the sky and drenched the ground soaking into its roots and nourishing it, nourishing every cell of every tissue and making it grow and thrive and-

Smack!

She walked into a tree, or perhaps the tree walked into her, and only now that she was looking at it it was stationary. She could never be sure with trees, because trees were tricky old creatures. She tilted her head, confused. This tree did not look tricky. This tree, she thought, looked awfully dead. This was saddening to her fuzzled mind, for although she saw trees die with frequency, it was unfortunate that the only tree here should be so close to falling. She sniffed it, curious, because it smelled like tree and earth and predator. Predator? Predator. Odd. Pale nose rose up, up, up to the top of the tree - and there it was, a large cat-bird-thing with wings. She thought it looked funny. She thought it might want to eat her.

Then she noticed the other two, and her eyes widened and her jaw dropped. Maybe these were just illusions, magic of the heat? But it was not as hot as she had been enduring these past weeks; actually, when she thought about it, it was rather cold. She did not know how long she had been standing, staring at the tree; how long they had known she was there. Couldn't have been more than a minute. Somehow, though, she felt embarrassed because of it, even though she thought she like the tree quite a bit and it was foolish of them to judge her for admiring it and that big cat with wings should try not to break it. She crept around the tree nervously, peering out at the black stallion and the small, sky-spotted filly - and up again at the big winged cat bird thing.

Then she looked at the ground. "It's a really nice tree," she muttered defensively, eyes downcast, hoof pawing sheepishly at the frozen tundra, vines on her side curling up into small tendrils with slight, defensive thorns poking out from their inky depths. She was not quite sure what actions she was defending, or why, but it seemed like the thing to do, and so she did it.

[Image: 2m7t3j5.png]

World's Edge Philosopher
    Kachie
    Movement was caught at the edge of vision, and the gryphon's head turned and tilted down to see just what had snuck so close. Feathered ear tufts rose and tilted toward the lanky black colt that stared back in startled surprise. Silence hung between them for a long moment, as two creatures who sat at opposite ends of the color spectrum considered one another. At last he seemed to decide that she was no threat, and leaned forward instead of back, muzzle lifted while his tail flicked behind him. It was the figure he drew in the air that piqued her interest, and she peered at the inky image for a heartbeat before uttering a soft, crooning purr of appreciation. He'd made a likeness of her.

Their quiet interlude was broken though, as a small winged filly of a hue so similar to the sky above that it was just uncanny, approached. Golden eyes drifted to and studied this filly, and ear tufts twitched at the whinny of greeting. This one was not short on words, not at all. Introducing herself as Cirrus, the young pegasus broke into small-talk with some enthusiasm. Hooked beak parted with the intention of speaking, but the gryphon was interrupted.

Interrupted by her tree-perch shaking in reaction to the thump of something running into it. Talons dug reflexively into dry wood before she twisted to look at the perpetrator. It was a mare, pale in hue and wrapped in what appeared to be vines. Peculiar. The young gryphon rose and shifted her position before settling down again, putting all three of her visitors within easy line of sight.

"Thank you." She answered, with a clarity that was likely surprising, to the pale mare who seemed so unsettled. Her long tail coiled and swayed beneath her. "And hello to you, little one. In anssswerr to yourr quessstion, it isss my magic that keepsss the airr cool herre." As she continued to speak, her words grew full of trills and hisses, something she'd never been able to banish from her accent while speaking a language that the horse-folk could understand. "But I have ssseen the effectsss of the warrming weatherr. My name is Merakerr."

Hidden Account
    Blu
    INK

The silence endures. I wonder if she's uncomfortable with it? Most birds I know tend to be raucous, but perhaps she is like me, and is comfortable to wallow in noise absence. I'll never quite know because soon enough we're interrupted by a rather overbearing little filly. Although she is capable of speech, she is not entirely capable.

My ears twist in a flurry to try and catch everything she trumpets. She did mention it being cooler, which I hadn't noticed until she spoke then. I glanced around me as if expecting to find something within the air itself. Ridiculous.

Soon enough my attention is drawn back to the curiously colored girl. She's asking for a drawing of herself. In my surprise at her approach the artwork of my gryphon had splattered into the tundra, quickly staining what snow remains. It had served its purpose anyway, eliciting a pleased purr from the birdcat. It had been a pleasant sound.

I raised my tail once more, but the ink was slow to travel free and when it did it came blotchy and broken. Quickly my construction of a horse with clouds in her coat scrambled into the ground. I shake my head, at a loss for my loss of talent. I should probably care more, but for the moment I'm just embarrassed and grumpy about it. My head continues when she asks for a name. I sigh faintly, all to use to this route of the conversation. I may appear at first charming and intriguing, but once they know, they turn on me or they leave me. No one knows what to do with someone that cannot talk, it makes them uncomfortable or dominant. Even worse I have no drawings to hopelessly bridge that gap with.

I feign shyness, hoping to hide the truth for now. It would be nice to have some company for more than a few breaths, even if it is a rowdy filly.

Not soon after this exchange ends does another arrive. I catch sight of her before the collision, but all the same my flesh ripples with contained flight. I hadn't expected her to actually slam into the tree. Is she ill of the brain?

She glances around sheepishly and that's when I notice the strangeness of her pelt as well. As the vines seem to curl and move across her body I take an unconscious step forward, my ears tilting in obvious intrigue. What is she? Cirrus' coat is just as splendorous, but it is lost on the dullness of today's skies. What interesting company I've come across today.

Showing me know better signs of being inept, Poppy scuffs the ground and compliments the scraggly, half dead tree. I raise a 'brow quizzically, snorting quietly to myself as I draw back into my space. They may be pretty, but they are strange.

Kindly and calmly Merakerr begins to speak. Her tone is enchanting and it weaves in an interesting way. I'm quite a fan of accents. Not having a tongue for myself I often hang on the words of others, it was one of the reasons Roanne and his home appealed to me so much. I smile unknowingly up at her, ink slowly regathering into the gryphon that I'm admiring.

Whit
    Dearest Parents,

I told that you I would be okay by myself, didn’t I? I am hardly by myself anyway, look, another horse comes this way! She’s a bit daft by the looks of it though, mother, she looks a little lost and confused. Maybe I could help her? Her coat seems to be moving, mother, just like mine! Only, not exactly like more. Where mine draws its images from the skies above, this one seems to take on a more earthly approach, which is fitting I suppose, given I am meant for the skies and she is meant to wander the earth. A strange sound comes from above, the creature in the tree is making a strange sound! I don’t even know how to describe it, father, it seems to be like a vibrating hum, it’s very strange indeed – why didn’t you tell me we lived in such a strange world? You see, this is just another reason why I had to go on an adventure.

The stallion beside me seems a bit shy too, and I remember you telling me that shy folk are only in need of a kind, accepting smile to feel better. So I smile at him, warmly and hopefully welcomingly, before flicking my eyes back up the winged creature in the tree. She mentions magic, and I get so excited that my wings almost burst from my sides. Had I been capable of it, I would have flown up and sat by her side in the tree, but I was still too little and challenged in the co-ordination compartment. “That’s very cool magic!” I say loudly, wanting to make my point clear. I was ignorant to the joke I may have just made, and continued talking. “My parents say I have magic too, though it’s not like their magics. My coat draws its colours from the sky, though it’s been very boring lately, nothing but blue!”

I laugh, innocently, not really knowing why I was laughing. The curious mare seems to be worried about something, I’m not sure what, for I could detect no danger. Granted, I didn’t really know what danger was, but by my judgement, none was present anyway. I looked back at the stallion, stepping closer to him, watching with interest as he draws my likeness, not even caring that it fell into the loam almost as swiftly as it was drawn. I was ecstatic, mother, why would you lock me away when there was such interesting creatures to meet out here? No matter, maybe I shall have to convince them to come back to the Throat with me, just so that I can prove to you they are nice, and interesting, and especially to prove that I can definitely go out exploring by myself without coming across harm’s path. Whoever ‘harm’ was, anyway.

He draws again, the shape of the creature in the tree taking form once more, and I look on, encouraging him with my rapt attention. I hadn’t noticed that he hadn’t spoken a word until then, mother, maybe he really is just very shy? No matter, I will take your advice, and show him the kindness he needs to be less shy. I only wanted a friend, after all. The grey mare seems to be oddly quiet too – I think you are right father, when you observed that I do not like to keep the silence – I couldn’t help but address her directly, willing her to speak more than an odd comment about the tree. “What’s your name? I’m Cirrus! You have very pretty patterns on your coat, we are pretty similar when you think about it, don’t you think?” My speech was still a bit of a jumble of words, but I am sure they are all smart enough to understand me.

Loving parents, I cannot wait to tell you about my new discoveries. Maybe they will follow me home, and I can prove to you that my independence is something you should be celebrating. Maybe not.

Your innocent child,
    Cirrus.

as changing as unforgiving as the wind, as bitter and chilling as the cold, as warm and deadly as the heat

• I enjoy being tagged.

Unregistered
    She was thanked by the cat-bird and it made her smile, a wide and lopsided grin stretching across her faded face, bloodstained eyes glowing with pleased self confidence, all early embarrassment washed away in the wonder of being thanked by something so majestic and strange, with such a wonderful voice. Emboldened, she again peered around the tree, and this time her feet followed her eyes and she stepped more firmly into the gathering, letting her gaze wash over the other two who looked like her except not because one was black and dripping and could draw strange things in the sky with his tail, and the other looked like the sky and had wings. In face, she would not have been surprised if the other was a piece of the sky that had just fallen out and now was prancing around in the form of a young girl. Curious.

She jumped as the cat-bird spoke again, for she had forgotten its presence in the allure of watching the strangers. It said it was making it cold and she realized that actually it was rather cold, compared to the outside, and while normally she wouldn't like that because plants died in the cold and so did animals, it was rather nice right now. "Thank you!" she said brightly, pleased that she could return the thanks that had so recently been offered to her. Flowers were sprouting upon her hide, bunches of inky blossoms blooming from thick, happy vines. One tendril even swirled around the red blotch on her shoulder, positioning its end to create the illusion of a poppy growing from her leg and up her side. She smiled at the black horse, not minding that he did not speak, because she did not notice that he wasn't making words. She liked how he looked though.

Besides, the blue filly was talking again, and now to the mare, and the little grey mare turned to look in surprise at her verbal attacker, sidestepping awkwardly and trying to muster a reply. "Poppy!" she blurts out, louder than she meant and somewhat uncertainly. In truth, she was not sure who had started calling her Poppy, or if that was even her real name - but if you think about it, how can you be sure? She knew that she did not remember a lot of things, and that someone might have told her that she was Poppy, but maybe she was actually Rose - who could say? So she did not call herself anything, but somehow Poppy worked when others wanted to give her a name.

But the little winged child was still talking, and she called the mare pretty, and suddenly she could not think because nobody ever called her pretty. She stared, and a lopsided smile caressed her face, and if she could have turned pink with blushing she would have but instead her flowers did it for her, except they just turned into climbing roses and coiled tightly around her legs. "You're pretty, too," she mumbled shyly; then, after a moment's thought, she realized that the filly Cirrus was right about the other thing she'd said, too. They were sort of alike - in fact, all of them were! "Lots of patterns. Different than others. You, too," she added, looking again at the cat-bird and the black stallion who still didn't speak to them. "What's name, art-maker?" Curiosity, innocent and simple: she wants to call him something, and maybe that he will make more art.

World's Edge Philosopher
    Kachie
    Golden eyes watched silently, attentively, as the black colt wrought an incomplete image of the winged filly at her request, a creation that was short lived. Yet the youngster seemed quite thrilled by even this, while the gryphon pondered her unusual companions.

Where the black fellow was quiet and introverted, the blue filly was loud and extroverted, quickly moving from one individual to another with utter abandon. It brought an amused smile to Merakerr's features to hear her magic complimented so, beak parting slightly and dipping toward the feathers on her chest.

Yet soon enough both the youngsters were engrossed by the pale mare with vines on her hide, the one with such a peculiar manner that suggested of a simplicity of thought. Poppy, she named herself at young Cirrus' prompting. Somewhat apt, thought the young gryphon as thoughts curled through her mind in regards to the plant this mare was named for. Ear tufts twitched at the mare's words about patterns and colors and including herself and the black colt in this fragmented statement. In a moment of bemusement Merakerr glanced back over her silver-gray frame, lightly marked in a darker shade with the markings of her two different species. Yes, there was some truth in that assessment of being different from others. Moreso than this Poppy could realize. Why else would a gryphon sit so calmly amidst horses and not make a single predatory gesture?

A thrumming chuckle escaped her at that thought, before golden eyes drifted back to the colt, taking note of the slowly forming figure he was creating. Once again he was creating an image from her, much darker in hue than herself. Poppy had asked him for his name, and Merakerr realized he hadn't spoken a thing this entire time, much less offered his name as they all had.

"The sssubssstance you ussse rremindsss me of the ink of the octopi in the oceansss." She murmured, speaking her thoughts out loud. Not all of them, of course. She wouldn't think to comment to herbiverous horses about how delicious of a snack she found octopi to be, when she could get her talons on one. Too often she'd been left grasping at ink-stained waters instead of a meal, and it had been a long time since she'd attempted such an endeavor.

Hidden Account
    Blu
    INK

The rowdy, sky filly is distracted momentarily by the vine-girl. Poppy, she names herself. I hunch back into myself, knowing all too soon I will gather all of the eyes. Now that everyone has met everyone, I am the only one who remains unnamed, unwelcoming amongst this gaggle of bright, cheery girls. I am a dark stain on their bright faces. I feel hopelessly drab and dreary. Worse, they may come to think me rude. The image of shyness can only last so long and I fear my truer self is cracking through the surface of feigned bashfulness. I look away.

I toy with the idea of running away. I resist however, whether it is fear that freezes my legs or the fact that I crave this social interaction as equally as I abhor it, I cannot say.

The Poppy girl beckons my head to turn back as she addresses me. Art-maker she says. I smile at that nickname, it being an interesting one. What is my name they all wonder. Truly I can not always remember it myself, so often have I been called other things. The memory of my parents slips further from my grasp with each waking day. Their faces are blurred, features indistinguishable and voices nothing but my own internal banter now. If I completely lose them, will I also love myself?

Childish, I admonish with an internal frown. My parents do not make me. They named me, but a name does not make me. I've had five hundred names by now but I have always been me.

All the same, it bothers me when I fail to remember it. Today is not one of those days, but it doesn't matter because I can never tell them anyway. It's hard to retain your memories when you cannot share them. I will likely die early, too overwhelmed by the burdens of life which I cannot unload unto others, much less friends. I will shrivel up and wither away, consumed by self-inflected turmoils. How enthralling.

The gryphon speaks once more. Immediately I am raptly listening, ears straining as her tones are like the gentle caress of rain on forest leaves to my ears. I almost smile with delight at her accent, so nearly giddy am I. What she actually has to say is just as intriguing. Ink.

That word. I don't think I've ever heard it spoke by anyone else, except the faces of my blood I have begun to lose. I stiffen, head rising like an alarm. My eyes grow wide and I take careful steps towards the gryphon, engrossed with this fascinating creature. Ink, from octopi she says. I had never dreamed such could exist. I had always thought my name to be rather meaningless or some fanciful or made up word for the dark water that ebbs around me. I've no way of knowing what the substance truly is, or how my parents came by the word - they were travelers, perhaps they knew of man and his paper and his, ink.

To believe that such a substance, such a word, had been here all along though, surprised me. I had never been too concerned with the ocean, or water in general. I was generally avoidant of bathes ad I had lived in the Tides for a time. Water and ink don't mix, so to say. The waves of the sea always consumed my drawings and swimming always leeched the substance from my mane and tail, making me feel oddly thin and weak. What was an octopus doing with ink the ocean then? I would have to explore this further some day.

For now though, I must keep these, friends, at least the gryphon to be sure. I need to be truthful, though I still fear their rejection, I have a good feeling about these girls. I have had good feelings before you see, and often times others can surprise you with the cruelty hidden within themselves. I think they may often surprise themselves, but I care little of their surprise when I'm their victim.

I nod up at the gryphon, hoping they might understand somehow that Ink is my calling - though I am use to so many other names what does it truly matter? I stick out my tongue then, and wiggle it between my lips with first a comical, then a morose expression. What a useless tool in my mouth, it can do nothing but flap around, turning dry in this cold air.

My tail stays motionless this time. Beneath all of this I am deeply troubled by the failings of my drawings today. I am still wondering if it is the lack of communicating lately, but it's something more than that, as I feel so tired, so weak, so hot even in this cold bubble of Merakerrs'. I think it is best to save my energy and my magic for now. Perhaps it's running out forever? It never has, but I am young still, what do I truly know of myself?

Whit
    Dearest parents,

I think I have done it, I think I have finally made some friends! Well, you know, friends who aren’t either of you, ‘cos I do love you and all, but you’re my parents, and well, I think I have a right to go and meet others, wouldn’t you think this is a good thing?

Poppy, she exclaims, and I smile happily, now having the knowledge of two of those present’s names. If only the quiet one would talk, but I suppose I would not be able to call him quiet if he did talk, would I? You see, mother, I am learning new things every moment I spend away from home. What would I be able to learn at home, anyway? I suppose home would be a better place to practise flying… But anyway, I am getting off track.

The strange bird in the tree speaks again confuses me, and I look between her and the stallion with open curiosity – I know not that it is rude to do such things, or at least I do know and have momentarily forgotten – I have lots to think about, especially with so much going on, you know?

“What’s ink?” I say loudly, announcing my obliviousness. Looking at the black steed, I tilt my tiara to the side, trying to make sense of the silent actions as he appears to chew on his tongue. “You can’t speak?!” My words probably come out a bit louder than I intended, but I was more surprised than anything else.

“I’ve never met anyone who can’t speak before!” I didn’t mention to him that I hadn’t met very many individuals outside of my herd yet. I restored the smile that had slipped from my face in my surprise swiftly, wanting to show that I wasn’t bothered by his muteness, but rather that I was still stuck on being confused about this ‘ink’ substance.

“What’s ink?” I ask again, looking hopefully at the three others present, my innocent demeanour causing a frown of thoughtfulness to crease my brows.

Cirrus

• I enjoy being tagged.

Unregistered
    The girl smiles because they all smile at her; she is blissfully unaware of the unusual nature this situation presents, predator surrounded by prey of three races. The fact that Meeraker could eat her in a second is like a gnat at the back of her skull, and she keeps batting it away because really, anything could eat her, just like anything could eat a plant, because she was rather like a plant, despite being a horse - she ate plants, and so she must somehow be one of them because what else was inside her, really? They were even outside of her, the strangely active black plants that had been her friends for all her life since she could remember, the vines that seemed to shift at her every thought. Just now they were blooming into enormous flowers, reflecting her own pleasure at finding herself in a group that did not seem to judge her.

She looks up at the cat bird, crimson eyes curious as to the meaning of her tinted words. She wonders what they mean, because she does not recognize most of them -
    "What is Oh-too-push?" she wonders aloud, at the same time the sky-filly asks the meaning of the other word. Abashed, she turns to look at the others on the ground, hoping they are not angry at her, amused by the cacophony of sound that erupted into the air as both she and the pretty little one spoke simultaneously. The art-maker waves his tongue at her and she finds it silly, tilting her head to try and understand what on earth the crazy creature was trying to convey. Not that she judged him, for she was aware that most creatures were quite strange and somewhat stupid, at times, for what else could explain the difficulty she had understanding them? Like now - whatever meaning lay behind the ridiculous actions of this artistic stranger completely befuddled the little mare. Somehow, though, the sky-filly seems to understand, and she asks loudly if the stallion cannot speak.

This bewilders the small mare. She can speak, if not well. Sky-filly can speak. Cat-bird can speak. She searches her fuzzy memory, trying to find some solution to the conundrum. Snippets of images, most flawed and romanticized, float through her mind. One is growing clearer. She recalls a black stallion, not unlike the one she sees now, and somehow he is different. She thinks, and realizes that he too could not speak, yet he was wonderful, moreso than any other she had met. Eyes light up, ears prick; she looks to the dark stud, and sees something new in him. The equation, she had decided, made sense last time, and so it must be repeating itself.

This stallion was doomed to be her friend, forever.

She must first chide the sky-filly for finding it so strange. "Is ok if no speak," she informs the winged child, the strength of her words rather diminished by the slow, cheerful intonations in her voice. She casts an eye towards the cat-bird, for she has decided that the mysterious thing must be quite wise - how else did she know of oh-too-push and ink? "Can talk with pictures." It is still addressed at the cat, for she feels suddenly shy in his presence, peering through lowered lashes to see his response. He is perfect, she has decided.

World's Edge Philosopher
    Kachie
    Her words sparked a surprising reaction in the black stallion, and her ear tufts perked up in response to how he came to attention. "Ink? Isss that what you arre called? Lucky obssserrvation, then." Her beak gaped slightly in a semblance of a grin. "But you cannot ssspeak..." Her expression turned thoughtful as she watched him, considering.

The others were just as quick to catch on to his muteness, and both quick with questions on her statement. It amused her, that she knew some little more than her companions. Perhaps more than that little. Her sire had filled her young life with stories and lectures about all sorts of things before she had fledged, and then taught her and her siblings all they needed to survive. A surprised glance was cast toward Poppy at her mention of speaking with pictures. So that was how...

"To anssswerr quessstionsss..." She rose and leapt down to the ground, wings flaring briefly to slow her descent before she landed. It was quickly apparant that she stood shorter than mare or stallion, closer in size to Cirrus in height, though clearly lean with muscle beneath her thick fur and feathers. A taloned hand lifted up a blacked clod of dirt and snow where Ink's ink had fallen. "Thisss is ink, what he makes." A curious look was sent toward Ink as she dropped the clod, wondering if he was all-over with the substance. But she didn't touch, didn't ask. "Octopi arre squissshy eight-limbed crreaturresss of the oceansss." She sat on her haunches and etched a rough sketch in the dirt with one talon.

Small lessons complete, she wrapped her long tail around her feet and tilted her head to regard the trio of horses with one eye. A content little purr-croon vibrated in her chest, for she was enjoying herself. It was not often that she had this much conversation about things. Most were full of questions about her, why she was so friendly and not inclined to attack. This was a nice change.

Hidden Account
    Blu
    INK

They all seem to voice the realization at once. I cringe a little, half expecting the laid-back ears and clicking teeth. What else does one like I deserve? Weak, useless, broken.

I glance away, ashamed.

The voice of Poppy pulls me back. Kindly she tells me what no one else ever has, not even Jerontope, my brief and only friend.

"It's ok if no speak. Talk with pictures." My heart lurches into my throat and I smile wanely, eyes holding her within a new and affectionate light. I am bemused also by her words. She speaks as though still a child, but I guess her much older. I feel a kinship blossom. Although I have great respect for the spoken word and the many ways in which one can speak, I cannot help but feel drawn to someone who struggles with it.

I want to hug her.

Merakerr leaps down deftly. I am alarmed for a second, a knee-jerk reaction more than anything, but relax after catching myself. She continues to speak her rolling tongue and I nearly lean towards her when she does, still delighted and giddy with it. She takes a black clod and addresses me, all of us.

I nod in response. Yes, I talk with pictures. I smile again, through it is a frail, sad thing. I glance back at my tail, it's hairs dry and crunchy as I've never known them. I flop it forward, my frown deepening as no ink comes from the tips. I glance up at my friends - I think that's what they are now - then to the sun.

Something is definitely wrong. Whether with me or with the weather, something is wrong.