the Rift

[OPEN] Finding my place (joining)

Areli Posts: 82
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 10 | dam: 4.5
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 hh :: 3 (Birdsong) HP: 65.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Bee :: Grey Wolf :: None Shady

ARELI
Do you still believe in love, I wonder?

You stick close to Kaj as the males talk amongst themselves, watching silently. Despite the sheer novelty of the scene before you—the flames, the wings, the glorious birds—you have eyes only for your brother. He draws himself up proudly as he converses with the adults, talking and nodding with a self-assurance that you’ve never seen before. And though your heart is breaking, you can’t help but feel a tinge of pride for your older brother as you watch him begin to make his way in the world. He is brave, you think, huddled against Kaj’s side. Maybe stupid, but much braver than you. You can’t imagine life apart from Mama, can’t picture any home but the one you share amongst the trees and rushing rivers, but maybe Ilios can.

When you hear him call these strangers his family, you can’t help but release a small sob, a quiet hiccup. He barely knows them! What about his real family: Mama, and Papa, and the rest of them back home? What about you? Angry tears prick at the corners of your eyes, but you refuse to let them fall. Let him abandon you then! Let him leave, the traitor. Sniffing, you turn your face away to stare at the cracked sand beneath your hooves. In this moment, you realize that there will be no changing his mind, and you steel yourself against the reality that he has chosen this life over you.

You feel numb for the rest of the brief conversation. Dully, you watch the ants crawl to and fro at your feet, their little legs scuttling rapidly along before they disappear into the earth. Just like Ilios, they go where you cannot follow.

And then there is a pause in the hum of voices, and Ilios’ cuts through the silence. “Areli, I have to go now.” You say nothing, not meeting his eyes. “I will come and visit you on your birthday.” You fight the tears that threaten to spill over and drown the ants. “I love you…be good for Mother and Kaj.” You stand stiffly through his embrace, as the cool glass of the pendant he gave you presses against your heart. Then he backs away, out of your life and into the new, with the happy anticipation of one who is going on a grand adventure.

You peek up and see him beginning to walk away, turning to Mesec. The sun beats down on him as he moves confidently towards the future that is awaiting him, without a glance back, and you know you cannot let it end it like this. “Ilios, wait! you choke before bolting after him, kicking up a cloud of golden dust. You skid to a stop before him, then tumble forward, wings outstretched in a final embrace that you desperately hope he’ll accept. “I love you, too,” you whisper, just for him, and the tears now are both happy and sad. You linger for a moment, remembering the feeling of his nearness, and then you pull away, standing straight like him. “Goodbye, Ilios,” you bid him, and though it takes all of your strength, you turn back towards Kaj. It’s time to go home.

OOC: Sorry that I've kind of messed up the posting order, just wanted to get one last one in before he takes off!

"speech"

Image Credit || coding by Tamme
[Image: areli_by_moonstone_designs-d9dgh47.png]
Icon base: Bronzehalo
Please do not tag Areli except in opening posts!

Messages In This Thread
Finding my place (joining) - by Ilios - 06-16-2015, 10:25 PM
RE: Finding my place (joining) - by Kaj - 06-17-2015, 02:27 AM
RE: Finding my place (joining) - by Mesec - 06-21-2015, 09:14 AM
RE: Finding my place (joining) - by Gaucho - 06-21-2015, 10:40 AM
RE: Finding my place (joining) - by Areli - 06-21-2015, 02:22 PM
RE: Finding my place (joining) - by Ilios - 06-22-2015, 01:30 AM
RE: Finding my place (joining) - by Kaj - 06-29-2015, 11:21 PM
RE: Finding my place (joining) - by Mesec - 07-09-2015, 10:06 PM
RE: Finding my place (joining) - by Gaucho - 07-15-2015, 10:18 AM
RE: Finding my place (joining) - by Ilios - 08-07-2015, 05:26 AM
RE: Finding my place (joining) - by Areli - 08-08-2015, 11:55 AM