The East

Point me in the right
direction, guide me to an understanding
on my own I can't achieve it,
on my own I'm empty,
unbelieving.

ASHAMIN
BEAUTY IS PERCEPTION

When the herd's patriarchs arrived, looking for all the world like opposites, Ashamin wasn't sure why he had expected anything else. Completely silence from Thranduil (who was always so quiet), his friend, and nothing but an expectant remark from Deimos. When a third arrived, one whom Ashamin recognized from the meeting as another promoted within the visionary tier, one whom he believed to be called Öde, the paint felt very aware of how full his home was in that moment. Had it ever before held so many? He followed the others deeper into the cave, letting his black eyes trace the lines of the walls with care. He knew so little of its history, and he had so much to learn.

With luck, the mirror would fill in the gaps.

Ashamin could not shake his memory of the earlier meeting with the leader. He forced himself to hold onto it, even in his fears, and pushed wolves to the front of his mind. Wolves. It had felt, to him, like an odd request. Then again, he had never met a God before. Maybe wolves were customary to ask after.

The young haruspex only nodded with respect to Deimos, and hoped that the simple gesture would be enough. The dead-looking gray seemed to be a man of few words, and Ashamin wasn't about to try and pry more out of him. None seemed really comfortable standing too close to Deimos, except perhaps the young emissary who had arrived here now.

Just as Ashamin settled before the mirror, it began to stir. He watched, wide-eyed and in disbelief, as it changed and shifted. The cave was suddenly filled with the crackling of electricity and the rippling light of stars. He was awash in silver and purple, in red and a fear of a coming unknown. Was this, then, the God's heralding?

But no deity arrived, and as the image faded Ashamin was left only with a faint trace of words that he could feel as if they had stumbled from his own tongue: look to the east...

It took a few moments for Ashamin to gather himself. He felt a sense of disappointment, one he knew he was not entitled to, and he took care to hide it from his expression when he turned to face his leaders again. His head cocked and his mind wandered, searching for the God that he and his company had expected. Where was the Spark, and why had he not arrived?

He wanted to ask Deimos and Thranduil what the words might mean, but he realized with a start that it was his job to know such things. And as he thought of the images he was filled with fear, even as the sense of triumph had overcome him at the same time.

It was Deimos whom he looked to now with the most hope. He felt for a time he could say nothing, ask nothing, but he wanted to know everything. Was this what he would learn, in time? At last, he gathered up some sort of courage. He caught sight of the egg before he spoke, but he was shaking and nothing could hide his trepidation completely.

"I fear we should be preparing for a great change," Ashamin said, louder than he should have but growing suddenly softer upon the realization--too soft. His long tail wound about his legs and his eyes fell heavy, back to the mirror as he turned his neck. "The triumph... it fell so quickly to bloodshed. With that and the coming winter, it might do us well to prepare for the unknown as best as we can."

Ashamin realized that perhaps the sight of the mirror was clear only to him. Had the three at his back seen what he had seen, or something different? Had they seen nothing at all? His heart skittered and jumped. He felt nervous. What was he to do but try and understand the understandable?

He would have looked east, if he'd had any directional skills. He would have looked that way for hours, searching, trying to find an answer. And he feared, as he stood in this cave before his leaders and a near stranger, that he never would find one.

[[@[Deimos*], @[Thranduil*], @[Öde*]. Permission given by Brit to skip her in this, I don't believe Hotaru will be in attendance.]]

Beauty is Perception by FoxyFireWings
Table by Jen, with help from Avis

See Ashamin's profile for more information about Lochan, Rakt, and his various items.
All magic and force allowed, barring death and permanent injury.
Do not tag me, please message on skype instead

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ruby Gaze and Mirror Spark [Mirror Gazing Thread] - by Ashamin - 07-09-2015, 11:01 AM