the Rift

[PRIVATE] Run, run, run

Najya Posts: 90
Dragon's Throat Alchemist atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 4
Mare :: Equine :: 15.1 :: 7 (Tallsun) HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
A'mal :: Plain White Dragon :: Shock Breath Kiki
Oh, the desert dreams of a river that will run down to the sea,
Like my heart longs for an ocean to wash down over me...
Najya was not one to run from her problems.
Ironic, considering where fate found her today.

She didn’t know what this place was called, and it passed by in a blur as she ran south, lavishing in the burn in her muscles and the wind in her hair.  For the moment, at least, she liked to think she could outrun her own emotions.  Her mind was blissfully blank.  There was no time to think when your just had to pay attention to what was directly in front of you.

No sooner had she made up her mind to give a peaceful herd a chance then the very same herd brought war upon another.  Had she been duped?  She didn’t feel like she had misjudged at the time, but what did she know about this place and the people in it.  Nothing, it seemed.

That’s what drove her out into the wilds today.  She felt that she needed the chance to get away – to think.  At least that’s what she told herself.  Her legs pounded the earth in a rhythmic four beat pattern.  The wind whipped against her face causing the golden disks to clink and tinkle with every footfall.  Her dark nostrils flared with every deep breath, but the fatigue hardly touched her.  She was built for this – for earthbound-flight.  

As she approached a twisting river Najya slowed. First, to a rolling canter, then to a trot, and finally to a walk.  She wandered without rhyme or reason – allowing her thoughts and emotions to catch up with her.  Finally.

Emotions burned hot in her belly – frustration, confusion, anger, remorse, disappointment – creating a fiery cocktail that she knew she could never outrun.

She didn’t have all the answers, and she knew that she likely never would.  The little mare didn’t like making decisions blindly and she just didn’t know what to do. So she wandered, hoping that the decision would come to her like a bolt of lightning.  But knowing, deep down, that things were never that easy.  

image credits || Thank You Sarah! <3 || Tags: @[Mesec]
OOC: LOOK A POST FOR SARAH!

Please tag NAJYA in all replies. 
Force & magic are permitted, but please check before inflicting serious injury.
Thank you!
pixel base

Mesec the Nightwind Posts: 476
World's Edge Glazier atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 5
Stallion :: Tribrid :: 16.3hh :: 7 years old HP: 76 | Buff: NOVICE
Lucius :: Royal Zephyr :: Roc & Lyra :: Common Kitsune :: Dreams Sarah
a light from the shadows shall spring

Mesec had been flying above when he spotted her, the running mare, a flash of chestnut against the bright colours of the autumn meadow. The grass had not yet completely faded to gold yet though the oaks had turned a brilliant crimson, lighter at the tips and deeper as the leaves got closer to the trunk. But more than her colour, there was something in her movements that had caught his attention. There was something reckless in it - as though where were running very fast to escape something. Or perhaps she was just in a hurry to get somewhere - he found himself quite curious about which it might be.

There was the sneaky, if a little creepy, option of following her from the sky to see where she went but luckily his curiosity would not have to be satisfied that way. As he began drifting down, closer to the oaks and the thistles, admittedly trying to get a closer look, he noticed that she was slowing and finally she reached a walk. There did not seem to be any purpose to her movements now and finally Mesec had to admit that it was time to land and stop speculating about the mare and just ask.

After grazing his hooves on the top of an oak he angled his silver-lined wings to take him down for a graceful landing. Silver eyes searched for her now that he was on earth-level again, a feat which took a couple moments because she was not stationary. Finally, closer to the river, he caught sight of her again and approached slowly. Mesec had learned pretty early on that he stood out almost anywhere - at night the silver parts of his coat and wings glowed softly and here, amidst the bright colours, he was an unmistakable shadow.

He drew closer, standing off to the side unless she wanted to continue wandering, but still called after her all the same. “Hey… are you alright?” Well, it was a better greeting than ‘hey I was watching you from the sky and thought the way you were running was was concerning’.

--------
@[Najya]

image by Blu
please tag Mesec in replies
non-life threatening force is allowed at all times

Oh, the desert dreams of a river that will run down to the sea,
Like my heart longs for an ocean to wash down over me...
She was so caught up in her own thoughts she was all but oblivious to the stranger’s presence.  You would think, after everything she has been through, she would be more aware of her surroundings.  But not today.  Today she’s entirely consumed by her own thoughts – rendered completely unaware to everything around her.  She was all but blind to the rapidly changing landscape, to the wildflowers, and most importantly to the presence of others around her.  

It was reckless.  But it was blissfully numbing.  

The presence of another startled her, and she berated herself internally for being so reckless.  She let out a soft “Oh!” as she startled to face the stranger – whirling around in a swirl of gold and flaxen hair.

She knew very well what could happen.  And she knew just how lucky she had been that the company she had come across thus far had been kind.  It was a stallion that had found her – tall, dark, and gilded in silver.  Thankfully, he seemed kind and she could read a not of concern in his voice. She could only imagine what she looked like…or how much of her flight across the meadow that he had been witness to.   Embarrassment burned hot in her belly, but she was quick to contain it.  She might be lost, but she was not broken.  Not just yet.

She was quick to compose herself, turning her hazel gaze to his liquid silver. “Sorry. Yes,” she shook her head, clearing her thoughts and causing the disks on her headpiece to clink together.   “Yes, I’m fine,” she offered, though her words were not entirely convincing for she was not sure she entirely believed them.

“I suppose I’m just trying to run from my troubles,” she offers the dark stranger a smile that’s genuine, but doesn’t quite meet her eyes.

“I don’t think it did me much good, though,” she said with a dry laugh – an attempt at humor to distract from the thoughts tearing at her from the inside.   “I’m Najya,” she offered with a dip of her head, ”And who might you be?”

image credits || Thank You Sarah! <3 || Tags: @[Mesec]

Thank you!
pixel base

When she responded to his question, Mesec wasn’t entirely sure that she believed it but he was not sure if now was the time to question her on it. Maybe she wanted to believe that she was fine and who was he to smash that belief? Nothing but a shadow of a stranger, interrupting her run. Though, at least for now, she did not seem to hold that against him. She explained then that she was running away from her problems and he couldn’t help but smile a little back at her at the joke.

“No, it usually doesn’t. Though I don’t think I’ve ever tried literally running away before. Is there anything I can do to help? You could… uh, tell me about it if you want?” Not that Mesec was a big role-model when it came to talking about issues and trying to sort through them in healthy, efficient ways or anything. But he could at least be encouraging towards someone that might be better about facing the issues.

“We can walk and talk?” He offered with a small grin, thinking that while running might not have been therapeutic - an easy walk with company just could be.

Though, after he had already asked the question, he realized that this was the mare that was actually running from whatever it was so… maybe talking it out wouldn’t be a good idea. Well, he wasn’t doing a very good job at this conversation so far was he? Luckily, she helped with introductions and that gave them something else to focus on if she felt awkward about his invitation for her to talk. “I’m Mesec. It’s nice to meet you, Najya.” And, well, for the moment any further attempt at conversation was lost on him. If she avoided the subject of where she was escaping, he could come up with another - better - topic to distract her.

@[Najya]

image by Blu

Brit Posts: 11
OOC Account
Mare :: Other :: 15hh :: 19
Brit
Pulled and saved.

THE DESERT DREAMS OF A RIVER THAT WILL RUN DOWN TO THE SEA
LIKE MY HEART LONGS FOR AN OCEAN TO WASH DOWN OVER ME

"It's never worked before, I didn't really expect it to work this time around either.  I suppose I just needed some…distance."  There was a distinctly a sheepish note in her voice, but she pressed on.

"Quite literally, in this case."  Everything in her had been screaming for her to get away from what she feared was unfolding.  She refused to be pulled into another conflict having just lost everything to war.  She had no idea of the motivations - and they may have been valid motivations for invasion - but Najya had just sold herself on the very idea of peace and having the illusion shatter so suddenly…

Well...it took her to a place where her inner strength just wasn't enough to sustain her anymore. 

When the black and silver stallion suggested walking and talking, well, Najya just couldn't find it in herself to say no.  She hesitated for a moment, wondering if it was wise to tell this stranger her troubles - but the weight of shouldering the emotional burden on her own was crippling and wisdom simply couldn't outweigh the pain. 

"I'd like that very much, Mesec." She returned his smile with a small offering of her own before falling into step with the much larger, winged stallion.

"I think it goes without saying I'm new here," her hazel eyes flicked over to his silver ones with a knowing glance.  It didn't take an expert to figure out that Najya had not yet adapted to Helovia.  Almost everything about her screamed foreigner from the way she carried herself, to the lilt in her voice, to the leanness of her frame from years of living in the desert.  

"I came from a kingdom that was torn apart by war.  I lost everything - my home, my family, everyone and everything I'd ever known.  I escaped by sheer luck and the sacrifice of those dearest to me.  I came to these lands looking for peace and I thought, perhaps, I had found a fresh start here.  But it seems that conflict followed me into my new life as well.  I'm sure you heard about the invasion.  It just…It brought back a lot of memories and I realized it was a little too much too soon.  The timing honestly couldn't have been worse."  She paused then, but her mind screamed at her.  You were weak.  You weren't ready.  You were a coward.  She swallowed and dropped her gaze, unwilling to peek at Mesec's reaction to what was so freely tumbling from her lips. 

"That's why I'm here.  I had to get away.  Apparently I've made a habit of running from battles."  She let out a small huff.  She was caught in a paradox of her own making - on one side she was humiliated by what she perceived as cowardice, on another she knew that she made the right decision in abandoning a fight that was in no way her own.  What she failed to recognize was that her reaction was truly rooted in the trauma of the past months.  There was only so much blood and battle one could take before reaching a breaking point.  Though she may feel like she had reacted out of cowardice, Najya was many things - and a coward was not one of them.  She was still the girl who sacrificed herself to a greedy king with no thought of her own safety.  And in doing so she broke down the walls surrounding the coldhearted ruler's heart over time. Still, she wondered what Mesec must think of her, but she couldn't bring herself to ask.  Instead, she preemptively deflected - just in case. 

"I suppose that's the short version of it.  Now I'm here, wherever here is, and have to find away to begin again.  And I will, eventually."  Regardless of the scenario, Najya was unwilling to give into despair completely.  Optimism still bled through the darkness.   

"What about you, Mesec.  What's your story?"  It was not a question asked just to be polite - the little mare was genuinely curious about this stallion who had literally swooped in and taken an interest in her troubles.  Not everyone would stop for a mare who must have looked half-crazed running across the plains as she had.  She truly wanted to know more about him - and the honesty and curiosity burned behind her eyes.  Gods know that Najya loves stories.  She wondered if he would be willing to share any of his as well. 

NAJYA
image credits || Thank You Sarah! <3 || Tags: @Mesec

Thank you!
pixel base

His concern for this near-stranger was genuine, so deep did her distress seem to go that he could not help but feel it himself and wish that he could do something to lessen it, if not completely take it away. She just seemed so sad. Mesec smiled encouragingly when she took him up on his offer to walk and talk, and they fell into an easy pace together. No need to run for either of them, not yet.

She began by stating that she was new here, and catching her glance he shrugged. They had newcomers from everywhere immigrate to Helovia practically every day, it was more of a surprise to find someone that had actually been born here. He supposed that Helovians were a little more used to the uprisings that seemed to come with every season - if it wasn’t a war, it was a terrible plague or a shifting of the continent, or a murderer possessed by a deity on the loose. Perhaps they should all run, far away from these lands, to somewhere that had a greater chance at peace.

Though he had offered to hear her story, he would not have been surprised if she declined - they had only just met, and they could have spoken of other things - but the words came tumbling out. They spun a tragic story, right from the very beginning, and offered such clarity to her desire to flee that Mesec was almost sorry that he had stopped her. “I’m so sorry that you had to come here during that time. The Falls usually was a more peaceful herd, I lived there for a time in my youth.” Sort of, anyway - he would not recognize the topography now, not since it had shifted and crumbled. “Don’t… beat yourself up about leaving, Najya. You had come to Helovia after great turmoil - only to find that what was supposed to be a sanctuary was not.” He did not want to tell her that it was out of the normal, that Helovia really was a great place to live and she would be happy here. What if he told her that and tomorrow something terrible happened? “It’s not always a peaceful place, where you have come, I won’t lie to you about that. But battles are rare… and it’s okay to run from them. The invasion in the Falls was not your fight. I am sure they understand that as well.” He did not know who had brought her back there but surely they would not have if they had known what was coming.

The topic turned to him and he almost missed his next step, silver eyes flashing to hers as he tried to figure out how they arrived here. “My story?” Mesec couldn’t help but smile, though it turned sour as he thought back. “I don’t think you’d like my story very much, Najya. It’s not a good… Helovia is better than the story I have lived in it, and I would hate to further ruin this land for you.” Sour smile turned sad there before he shook it off and forced it to be bright once more. He would not bring more shadows to this day, not more than he already did at any rate. “Besides, if I scare you off then you might not want to begin again - and I was even going to invite you back to my home.” Though it started off as a joke, his tone light and teasing, he realized that maybe, after she had just run away from one herd in Helovia, this might not be the time to be encouraging her to give another one a shot.

But he had already started… “Which, um, you’d be welcome to if you wanted - it’s safe, really actually safe. It’s an island now, but you can enter either by swimming or over a magical bridge.” Was this helping at all? Mesec shifted his wings uncomfortably, earning a sharp chirp from the little zephyr hidden there, before trying again. “I’m from Dragon’s Throat, a land to the south, and it’s been my sanctuary for the last few seasons. At least until you make up your mind about Helovia, it is a well-guarded place and would be safer for you to rest there than anywhere else.”

image by Blu

well someone was feeling chatty

With each and every step, Najya felt lighter.

She hadn't realized just how heavy the burden had been until she had been able to lift some of it from her shoulders. It surprised her just how desperately she had needed someone to listen, to understand, to care - or in the very least give the illusion of all three.  Who would have thought that the one that would help her slip her troubles from her shoulders would have, quite literally, dropped from the skies.  If someone had tried to tell her this is what the future held, there's only a remote chance she would have put any real credence in their words.  

What were the chances that the first person she had, quite literally, run across would have been someone genuine, someone who seemed to have and honest concern (and interest) in to the circumstances that had brought her to the present. 

"Thank you, for…listening."  She pauses, collecting herself. "And understanding.  It helps.  Really. It does.  I understand nowhere is safe from conflict, I suppose I just found myself overwhelmed."  She hoped that Mesec was right, that her actions would not come to be a reflection of who she truly was.  She wasn't a coward - she didn't want that to become her legacy here.  Troubled yes, but a coward? No.  But she could take comfort in the fact that this stallion had not judged her.  

When the conversation turned to him, things changed quickly.  Najya watched as Mesec's smile faded into something else.  A twinge ran through her chest at the idea of causing him discomfort.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have pressed."  She gently reached out to touch his shoulder with her muzzle, as she recognized the war of emotion in his eyes.  She regretted making him uncomfortable when he had just done the opposite for her.  "Maybe one day you'll feel you can tell me, Mesec."  She felt comfortable in assuming that she would see more of him in the future to make such a statement, and continued.  "I've heard many stories in my time, and not all are easy to hear - or to tell, but that doesn't deprive them of their worth. Whatever the history, it got you to now.  The stallion who stops for half-crazed women fleeing from their problems and offering help.  How terrible of you."  She offered a small smile and bumped his shoulder again, playfully this time. 

"So no.  You're not going to scare me off," she answered, echoing his lighthearted tone.   His words seemed to come out in a rush, so Najya gave him a few moments to collect his thoughts - but in doing so found she needed a few to collect her own.  After being so kind to her he also was willing to offer sanctuary in his home.  Before she could truly process the thoughts, the words spilled from her lips. "You would offer me a home, truly?"  She did her best to keep the surprise out of her voice, but was sure it was one of about a dozen easily discernible emotions in her voice.  Surprise.  Excitement. Hesitation.  Happiness.  She took a breath.  Then another. 

"I've heard of your Dragon's Throat."  And she had, upon first stepping into this place, and it had tempted her then too.  Now it was even more appealing, for a variety of reasons.  "But I have not heard of this magic bridge,"  she added, curiosity getting the better of her. 

"We had a legend about the desert from my homeland.  My people once believed that the giant dunes of the desert were the giant spines on the back of the dragon pushing up through the earth and that we all lived along the great dragon's spine.  Perhaps whoever named your lands had a similar reason for choosing such a name?"  She paused, her question was more rhetorical than anything, but she does wonder - as she often does - if there is an answer buried somewhere. 

"Regardless, I'd very much like to see it."  With that, she offered him the biggest smile yet - one she couldn't keep from reflecting in her eyes. 

"By the way, who have you hidden up there," She asked, peering over his folded wing.  She had heard something decidedly un-equine hiding up there.  Perhaps this was a secret that Mesec was willing to reveal. 

NAJYA

Thank you!
pixel base

Thankfully, Najya did not press him for his story - and he was grateful for the gentle touch she left on his shoulder. “One day.” He agreed, offering a small smile back to her. It would be too much right now, he thought, whatever she said. And how could he continue to run from the things in his past that were troubling him if he brought them up? No, better to help her for now. And the smile in those moonlight eyes only brightened when she continued and teased him, making assurances that whatever his story was, he had not turned out too terribly. He hoped that whatever may happen, he would not lose the drive to check on a stranger in distress.

Her reaction to his offer of a home was not outright dismissal, and upon seeing the cluster of emotions in her eyes it gave him cause to stay calm himself. “I would. This herd took me in when I needed a home, and I’ve never felt unwelcomed. It would be an honour to be able to offer that to someone else in need of a haven.” They had some cause to be unwelcoming to him, but he had quickly discovered that anyone in the Throat that had heard the rumours of his parentage did not hold it against him. The worry of being rejected had faded quickly from his mind, now all he had to do was earn his keep.

In their easy gait, Mesec felt light as they chatted - Najya telling him how she knew of the Throat and her question about the name sent a puzzled look across his face. “You know, I actually don’t know the full story behind it. I heard that there was a dragon that lived there once, and its wrath scorched the land at one time. But under the Sun God’s protection, and the devotion of those within it, the land has flourished.” He thought fondly of Cera, who worked tirelessly to create systems and objects that would benefit his herd mates, and of Gaucho, who always seemed to know exactly what was going on within their herd at anytime.  “We’ll have to ask someone more knowledgable about the history than I to see exactly what the story behind the name is.” Perhaps when they were greeted at the borders, for Mesec would need help getting Najya to the island, they would be able to ask.

Her next question was easier to answer and Mesec chuckled a little bit. “Ah, it’s my companion - Lucius. He’s a little thing still and likes to nap most of the day, I think I woke him up already though. Here.” He stopped and turned away, dropping one of his wings lower so that the little zephyr was visible. Lucius, who had been indignant at the shuffle of feathers only moments ago was outraged at this sudden flood of light and a series of sharp chirps rebuked Mesec for his actions. THe paused, once, to regard Najya through narrowed eyes. They were so similar to Mesec’s, but with a sliver of violet right around the pupil. Deciding that the mare was not worth losing sleep over, he continued his chirping until Mesec sighed and obey, shifting his wing back into place. “Not always in the best of moods, this one.” He wondered whether all baby birds were so foul-tempered. Lucius was getting bigger every day, already about half the size he would be when he was fully grown, but still young enough to prefer to sleep as much as possible.

“So, do you have the energy to make the trip now? It’s not too far.”

image by Blu

Najya could tell that there was much more beneath the surface of the stallion of silver and shadows.  That much was abundantly clear.  But she knew better than to press.  The little flaxen mare was one who gave her stories freely, but she knew that was something that set her apart from most.  She couldn't possibly hold his privacy - or his story - against him.  

A haven.  That's what she truly needed, more than anything.  Perhaps she had come to this land looking for all the wrong things.  All she wanted was a new beginning - a new home - to  rebuild and start over.  But maybe a haven is what she really needed.  It seemed like it was all little more than semantics what it was so much more Najya.  A haven was somewhere that she could heal; a place she could remember.  She could belong without the burden of having to rebuild right off the bat - create a new life out of thin air.  Perhaps, instead, she could learn to craft one out of the ashes of her old life - blending that with what she learned of herself in this new world.  She does her best to collect her racing thoughts and keep herself tied to the present.  She's not in the desert - not Mesec's desert of the one that was once her own - she's here in the meadow she's sure has a name.  "A haven,"  she muses,  "I think that's exactly what I'm looking for."  She glances over to Mesec, again wearing a smile. 

She listened as she described some of the history behind the naming of the Throat.  It was the abbreviated version, and Najya made a mental note to do some research if the opportunity arose once she reached the sands.  She was always attracted to the stories, the history, and the legends that gave a place life beyond those living in it. Though his mention of the Sun God did catch her attention.  "Ah, the Sun God.  I saw him once.  That was an…experience."  She remembered the experience with the great column of fire and the dreams he seemed to pull from all who had seen it.  She had no way of knowing Mesec's experience with the Gods goes so far beyond her imagination.

Najya finds herself thoroughly distracted by the little bird that Mesec has tucked away in his wings.  Lucius seemed upset by the intrusion but Najya found herself enraptured by the little bird.  "I don't think he's particularly amused I disturbed his nap.  I wouldn't be in the best mood either if someone turned on the lights while I was sleeping, either."   She had never seen a creature quite like Lucius.  "He's going to be quite something when he's grown, Mesec," she added, as the little bird was tucked away again - safe in the cradle of Mesec's wings. 

When Mesec speaks again, Najya drew herself to a halt and turned to face the larger stallion. "I'd like that very much!" she said, with more excitement in her voice than she could contain.  She couldn't contain the smile that broke out on her lips.  "Lead the way?"

NAJYA

Thank you!
pixel base