the Rift

[PRIVATE] promises

Roskuld the Sparklight Posts: 424
World's Edge General atk: 7.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 6
Mare :: Tribrid :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 82 | Buff: ENDURE
Zchiraxicon :: Royal Rougarou :: Electric Smithers

Something continued to course through my veins, running a marathon, even though the sun itself settled down to chill for the night. My eyes were glued to you and the way your fluffy side rose gently with your breathing (I swear your snore in every form you take but that’s beside the point). I bit my lip as I watched you, worried about—lots of things, I guess, the sand that was getting in your fur, how utterly drained you had ended up by the end of today.

But I was proud too. I was…I was proud of that moment you had back there, with that other companion. Did that mean I liked you starting fights? Well, nah, not really (okay yeah I’m a hypocrite whatever). Did that mean you did a good thing? I wasn’t sure yet; I could feel that you weren’t trying to hurt anyone when you launched yourself from me, but that didn’t necessarily mean that you were fighting the good fight.

It was still something major for you, though—a grand moment, a notch in your belt, a stone in your path. And I was biting my lip as I watched you sleep a deep, adorable sleep, but I couldn’t stop the edge of my mouth curving upwards just a little bit or keep that little trickle of pride from seeping from my eyes.

*"You have to be careful."*

I glanced at Jiji—and the tiny smile fell at once cuz oh god I hated looking at her, seeing the mess in her mane and her eyes and her face--something wrong all over her, just wrong, wrong, wrong. Beating wings and super-loud shrieks had kept my mouth shut and everything after that had distracted us from the Thing I wanted to ask so badly and now, in the quiet of the night, she wanted to talk about me. “He’s never done anything like this before,” I said in a voice just as low, my eyes finding your poofy little ass again on the ground, “I’ve never really had control over him before, now that I think on it,” I mused, biting that place in my lip again, “I mean….I teach him shit, I give him ideas, I tell him what’s stupid and what’s right—but he does his own thing and…”

I sighed and my shoulders started to sag with all this heavy shit we were talking about. “He ain’t…savage,” I tried to explain—then a bark of laughter escaped me. “Hell, I guess he is. In a way. Kinda like me except he’s—“ happy. But I stopped up short, swallowing that thing and the worry I might shoot into Jiji’s eyes. I leaned down and pressed my nose against your warm, fluffy stomach, right up close to you so I could hear your tiny snores. “He’s gonna be so sorry when he wakes up,” I murmured, “He…he wanted to meet you so bad…”

And you had. You had seen Jiji all throughout my head and memories and the dreams I never remembered (apparently I dream up wild shit but we ain’t talkin’ about that). And just like every other piece of me that I loved way too hard—you was fixin’ to love it too, with the same desperation that I had for each and every corner of my heart.

Too much like me.

I straightened up, my eyes still fixed on your sleeping body. But then Jiji was touching me, her lips pressed against my neck suddenly and a shiver went through everything and before I knew it I was swinging my neck towards her, to lift my head and gather her in my unthinking embrace.

*"I'm glad you're here."*

I breathed softly against her mane. “Glad I could see you,” I muttered—or rumbled—or growled, or something in the back of my throat.

*"Are you okay? It... he didn't hurt you?"*

I chuckled deeply and drew away from her. “Nah, but you know I go hard,” I said to her with a little smirk, “Besides, he’d never hurt me anyway. He’s an idiot and he’s too much like me but he’d never try that shit. He don’t…have the bones for it, anyway.” My voice lowered into a soft thing. “You’ll like Chico when you meet him,” I told her, “I promise.”

I looked into her face—into the wrong lines and the shadows that weren’t there before, the dullness in the crimson of her eyes. “…now,” I said, a steel thread wrapping itself around my tongue, “Tell me what’s hurt you.”

talk

Like stars burning holes right through the dark
Flicking fire like saltwater into my eyes</style>

Please tag ROSKULD in every reply!

Messages In This Thread
promises - by Ranjiri - 06-22-2015, 11:48 AM
RE: promises - by Roskuld - 06-23-2015, 10:30 AM
RE: promises - by Ranjiri - 06-23-2015, 11:44 AM
RE: promises - by Roskuld - 06-25-2015, 12:47 PM
RE: promises - by Ranjiri - 06-26-2015, 12:39 AM
RE: promises - by Roskuld - 07-23-2015, 01:41 AM
RE: promises - by Roskuld - 07-29-2015, 11:35 AM