the Rift

[PRIVATE] A means to an End

Kiara Posts: 171
Deceased atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 13.2hh :: 5 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Keiran :: Black Panther :: Stormcall Emily
We left the Threshold unsettled. I still want to flee Helovia, to leave and never come back. But Keiran seems to think we need to stay for Vitani. She has not been seen since the invasion. For all I know she stayed in the Falls.. Maybe that was for the best? I was not a fit mother. No matter how hard I tried I was never good enough. Malachi.. Sweet sweet Malachi. I never gave him a chance. He had looked so much like his father I had all but rejected him from the day he was born. The twins, I tried to look after them better... But they had felt at home in the Basin instead of with me. That day Adelric had told me where they had been had broken my heart...

Vitani was the only one born out of a semi decent relationship. If that's what you wanted to call the one night stand between Rostislav and I. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for that night. I needed to know not all stallions were so cruel. Out of that night came a beautiful daughter. One I had hoped would stay by me. I was wrong. It would always just be Keiran and I. Always just us two.

With a thump I flopped down into the snow next to the frozen stream. The same stream Mirage had brought me to what feels like oh so long ago. Oh to know then what I know now. I would always be alone. Keiran yowled as he crawled up over my back to try and keep me warm.

@[Knox]

The Heart is Wiser than the Mind

Please Tag Kiara in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kiara at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen

It is cold, and his heart is broken.

He is lost in the wake of seeing Mesec, and he wants nothing more than to lie down and die. There is a cruelty in him that he now knows he cannot control. Knox is beyond himself.

But there are memories still stirring, still breathing, of the dead. His mind will never be at rest. Knox is beginning to fear that he will never be gifted with the end of his life. At barely four years old, he is already counting down to a seemingly impossible end.

He is comprised of death. He walks through the snow with a different face, a killer's smug and hungry mask. He is Dovev, and Manhattan despises this.

She follows, cursing his name and all the names that live within his ancient breast. She is screaming into his mind, she is casting her magic upon his image moment by moment, bit by bit, but nothing can overtake such ancient and murderous desire. Knox, limp and afraid, curls inside the body of a stronger one who has never before known hesitation.

And so the snow tracks around them and the frozen stream appears, and beside it, too, is a mare.

And Dovev is Hungry.

And Dovev is unseen, beneath his descendant's cloak.

And Dovev reaches forth to place one heavy hoof on the neck of the dying, and he bends, and he lowers, and he places his heat against her body for a warm and tender moment. He is a true ghost, now. He is unnoticed, perhaps she cannot even feel him.

But he feels her. And he is hungry. And as the cloak falls away from his form, leaving only that black dog hidden, he reaches forth to try and bite the neck as Knox would have done.

Is this you, descendant? Dovev murmurs as the silver smoke flows from his eyes to seek out innocent, freezing eyes and attempt to blind.

Knox can say nothing. He has this last grip, this last instance of pity for this mare and his own self. He cannot bear to be the violent murderer once more at Dovev's will. He lies to himself.

Knox says it is to save her from a much longer suffering.

Liar, Manhattan tells him. Murderer, she spits from her hidden cloak. Addict, she calls him with particular truth.

I know, the hunter is crying. I know.

And with that, he turns his tear-stained face and the warmth of her that he had hoped to hold within his grip to crack a neck once more. And with it, his heart breaks, too.

[[@[Kiara]--Made sure to write it so the blinding magic was reaching out to attempt and he only tried to bite and twist her neck. Up to you if she fights back or is too weak and dies or whatever. I just know you wanted this to happen quickly. If you feel it is too unclear that you have leeway let me know and I will edit.]]

KNOX and manhattan</style>
you can't look me in the eye and say you don't feel like a little destruction.</style>
image by D.R.F @ flickr.com

Kiara Posts: 171
Deceased atk: 4 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 13.2hh :: 5 Years HP: 64 | Buff: NOVICE
Keiran :: Black Panther :: Stormcall Emily
Kiara

As I lay by the frozen steam, I allow myself to daydream. I think back to that day, the first time I lay here. I barely had the energy to get here, and had Mirage not supported my weight as well I probably would not. It is by her, that I learned probably my most important lesson of my life. Not everyone is out to get me. I trusted her when I had no one else. Not even Keiran. It's her bond with Akaith that made me crave a bond of my own. It was her brothers, Madyrn and Maskan that showed me not all males were horrible. Well, Breeze had helped. Oh Breeze. It's been years now since I stood at his side, his wing over my backside. If only things could of stayed that way. He is, and always will be my one true love. I did not love or know Malachi's sire. I didn't even know his name. I knew Krieger's name. Between the two times I had been forced to carry a child, he had been the more gentle I guess. I did not make the same mistake with Zünden and Adelric that I had with Malachi. I kept them close as I could. But they were to much like Krieger. They wanted the cold of the Basin as well.

Who knew, that in my depression of being left I would find the only one to ever well.... Want to dance with me, and not make me. Rostislav, oh dear Rosti. I could see life at his side, but I would never love him. I adore our beautiful and unique daughter however. Vitani has the fight that I will never have. I am glad she takes after Rosti so much, but I can see myself in her as well. I need to find her, tell her I love her and make sure she knows it. She and my twins are my world outside of Keiran. I was foolish to ever think otherwise.

I never saw him coming. Neither did Keiran. He heard something though, and leaves my backside to find out what. I do not even realize it is not his warm embrace until I feel the hoof on my neck and the teeth sinking in and pulling. My emerald eyes flash open to see what is happening as I scream for Keiran. I can not see anything! I am blinded surely by someone's magic. I scream, as my neck is pulled backward by force. I can feel Keiran running back to me, but he is to late. He can not save me this time. I scream until the bones finally give way, to late to struggle and fight. Keiran launches himself at my attacker, but in his soul he can feel it's to late. His claws extend as he feels a part of him break as I do.

"Talking"

Darling don't be afraid I have loved you, For a thousand years, I'll love you for a thousand more
Image Credit

The Heart is Wiser than the Mind

Please Tag Kiara in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Kiara at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing her.

Vitani Posts: 92
Dragon's Throat Mare atk: 3.5 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: Three Years HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Sarabi :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire Emily
V
I
T
A
N
I

I don't know what pulled us this far away from home. I am just glad that home is still well, home. I could of lost everything. Technially, I kinda did since Mom and Daddy have been no where to be found since. I wonder if the even miss me. In their absence however, I have grown. Another change of seasons and i'll be a full year old. I am not my full height, yet. But at the same time I am no longer the little filly who stood on the hill with everyone else. Mom's amulets hang from my neck. Someone had come and stolen the feather she had left with me. I miss it, and want it back. But maybe, just maybe if I go speak with the God of the Earth he will give one to me? I can hope so. I've been working on controlling the magic that seemed to flow in my veins now. So maybe if I show him how good i'm doing with what he's given me, he'll replace the feather that someone took.

I am not the only one who has been growing. Sarabi, is four months old now. I don't think I ever really have said what my bonded looks like. She's beautiful of course. But then again I am biased. Her coat is short and coarse, but tan in color with white markings across her chest and stomach. She also has a little white spot on the back of her neck. Her nose and mouth are darker, kind of a brown or black. But her other markings are the coolest! The tips of her toes, and a line down her spine with lines going down her sides are like, red! Like fire red! Any time she makes it rain fire, oh yeah did I mention she can do that too, her red markings glow!

But enough about us. Yeah, we're pretty much badasses now. But we aren't even full grown. Back to this meadow place. I wanted to explore and of course Sarabi came with me. I hate all the snow covering the ground, but BirdSong is near I think... Okay I hope. BirdSong means i've been around for a full year and i'm ready to be more grown up than I am now. It'll be another year before i'm worth anything to the herd. But that's lots of time to practice with my magic and watch the adults spar. I'l show 'em, I can be big and bad too.

Okay for real this time, no more about us and our amazing life. We move through the snow, Sarabi growling every now and then as it got too deep for her in places. You can ride on my back if you want to.... But that just made her snarl even more. She's like me, wants to do it herself. I'm looking ahead, looking for anything really. That's when I hear it.... No. I hear her. That scream, that voice. My heart drops. No. No no no no no. That can NOT be my Mom screaming like that. I hear the snarling of a big cat and that almost confirms it. I go from a walk, to a flat out run toward the sounds. By the time I arrive it's to late. Mom's dying, her killer just standing there while Keiran lays across her back. I can tell he leaped at the killer, but I don't take the time to see if he made it. Sarabi growls and her red markings glow. NO! I scream at her through the bond as I rush forward to fall next to my Momma. Momma i'm here... I'm here.... Please don't go! Her voice is soft, barely a whisper. Tears well up in my dual colored eyes as I hear her speak one last time. Told me to tell Zünden and Adelric that she loves them, and she loves me. No Momma, don't go! I scream, ignoring the fact her killer is right there. He could turn on my any moment. Keiran lifts his head and licks my cheek. I look to him, and he looks to Sarabi and then back at me. I wish I knew what he was trying to say. But Momma, fills me in. He says to take care of Sarabi, and she needs to take care of me. I nod and she noses something toward me. It's a part of a horn. She tells me i'll know Adelric because he will have the other half. I have to find them, my half siblings. I have to find them both for her. I nod, tears falling down my cheeks as my Momma breathes her last. Keiran licked Sarabi's muzzle and she whines softly. He too, the breathes his last.

I lay there next to her for what seemed like hours, but was really mere moments. Until my grief rolled into my anger. I stand, the half a horn at my front hooves. Sarabi moves forward to pick it up in her jaws, but I stop her. You murderer. I speak in a voice that I never knew I had. It's cold, much different than the voice I had just been speaking in to my now gone mother. YOU BASTARD YOU KILLED HER! I scream, my head flashing down to snatch the broken horn up in my own teeth. I stand there, staring at him. If he tried to harm me, well I already could feel my magic alive in my veins just waiting to be called on. The horn that I held so tight in my teeth... I would use it if he didn't back away. He didn't belong here. He wasn't family. He FUCKING KILLED HER! Sarabi growls as her markings begin to glow once more.

Talk

ooc: No magic used from Vitani or Sarabi yet. The piece of horn is the half of Krieger's horn that Kiara had that will need to be added to Vitani's list of items later.

Image Credit

Knox Posts: 262
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 7.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 17hh :: 7 Years [Tallsun] HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Jen

Knox is gone. He is a memory, an ephemeral desire to be something good now crushed under the weight of the unbearable need to hurt. Mother, was this you? He is thinking, he is asking, he is praying but to no Goddess now, praying that he can find an answer. He hears that horrible, dying snap: that breath crawling out of a corpse like its legs are caught between the teeth, like it's seconds away from the syndrome of the crush.

Is this crush syndrome? Has he, too, been so long compressed and overtaken that he is rushing back into himself with guilt?

No, didn't this already happen, damnit?

How many times.... Manhattan leaps as she wonders, thrusting her body against Kieran's as an invisible, cloaked force, diverting the attack from Knox where he lies a helpless killer. He had tried to make it quick, is this quick? Is it painful? He cannot stop the wondering. She can feel only the impact of her protection as the companion falls to lay across its bonded's back. How many times will I stand by you, when you kill so senselessly?

Neither of them know the answer.

Another one comes and Knox can do nothing. His body is against the body of the dead where it was before, his lips are parted and pressed to the bloodless earth. Was it better to blind her? Was it better to leave this earth unstained? Was she better off dead?

Was anything better, could it ever be again?

He listens as the exchange occurs. He moves further from the body. Knox senses now that he has defiled it, harmed it, in a way he should not have done. He doesn't remember how he got here, on the ground, beside this corpse. Dovev is gone, it is only his thoughts in an imposter body. Now that he is himself at last, he doesn't know who he is anymore.

They are screaming. Everyone is screaming. The ancestors, Manhattan, this child, this daughter of the dead. Knox knows he has done something he should not have but he doesn't know what. He hears the voices he heard as a child, creeping in, little demons, never gone. Did you think we'd ever let you go, pathetic colt?

"I'm sorry!"

He is crying. He is speaking aloud but he doesn't know to whom. Knox's young, fragile fears are breaking through the hard exterior of the steel killer. "I thought.... she was dying, I thought I..." Dark eyes stream with tears and look to the surviving one, the one with the horn in her lips and the fire in her eyes, the companion with the fire at it's back. "I was trying to end her pain.... I.... I'm sorry, oh, Gods, I'm so sorry...." every word spoken in tears, ever word spoken through hurt.

Manhattan draws to his side, moving slow from her collision with the cat, cloaked and unseen by all. She presses her black hair against Knox. She doesn't feel the hate for him, anymore. She thinks it is only pity, now.

What have I done, dear Hatta?

There isn't anything to tell him but the truth--this, she cannot say. So she presses her cheek to his, his swollen tears striking the bridge of her nose as she listens, eyes shut, to his shivering cry. It is the touch that says I love you--the touch that says I'm sorry I couldn't save you, Knox.

[[@[Vitani]]]

KNOX and manhattan</style>
you can't look me in the eye and say you don't feel like a little destruction.</style>
image by D.R.F @ flickr.com